• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think an all streaming future is something to be fearful of?

• No, I think streaming is a great thing and am excited for it

Votes: 99 27.9%
  • Yes, I think streaming video games is a bad thing and I do not want an only streaming future

Votes: 184 51.8%
  • I’m undecided and it depends on the details

Votes: 72 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
My download speed in the uk currently is 800 KB/s

Yes of course im afraid of streaming because it will fucking suck and i wont play games anymore if it becomes the default. It wont though obviously.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
1.- Stadia is live today!

2.- Three years later Google makes hundreds of millions, but not billions...

3.- Google closes the service and gamers lost access to their games...

4.- Gamers: The future sucks...

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
How often have you seen a direct-feed gameplay trailer that looks as good as the game actually running on your system? Do any, even when downloading footage from Gamersyde?

Nov 30, 2017
I feel like im pretty close to walking away from gaming anyway. Streaming only will defijitely kill it for me.

The future isnt looking good for me. It seems every company feels they are the most important and want their own storefront and or hardware. Its just going to divide us or make it more expensive.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
A streaming ONLY future? Yes. Goodbye preservation and modding scene for anything passed *insert streaming dominance kickoff year here*. You'd also have streaming companies controlling access to an extent. At least separate PC downloads are a thing right now even if not having access to big storefronts of the consoles and Steam/GOG/Epic Store. Sure this means shit like Rape Day won't be a thing but it also means another Minecraft or Mount And Blade level indie megahit since shit will get buried by AAA games and Indies that from are successful Kickstarters with pre-built audiences. Do you think games are a stagnant medium now? Imagine everything needing to be in the AAA mold or be derivative of a pre-existing game in some shape or form to get a Kickstarter audience.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Means more people will have access to games.

If streaming and physical can co-exist for tv/movies, so can video games.
I think it's a bit more complicated for games. Movies, TV, and music are non-interactive mediums, so it's easy to preserve even without physical, and the mediums going full streaming doesn't change the way the content is made. For gaming, as an interactive medium where each product is designed at inception to be more or less like a service depending on the audience it seeks to target, streaming being the main form of consumption will have a great impact on how games are made to begin with. It also means that the more a game design is tied into a service, the harder it becomes to preserve.

I'm not all that concerned about a streaming future being a bad thing, but there are real concerns to be aware of and to consider what we are each individually comfortable with.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
An all streaming future, where the only option to play games is streaming, is decades away, if ever. There will always be reasons people want locally processed games because most of this planet doesn't have fast internet. It's cool that it exists but traditional gaming isn't getting replaced.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
1.- Stadia is live today!

2.- Three years later Google makes hundreds of millions, but not billions...

3.- Google closes the service and gamers lost access to their games...

4.- Gamers: The future sucks...

what an awful post, congrats. if anything you've illustrated why streaming platforms are bad for consumers.

edit: actually rereading the post i think i misread it? if i did, disregard the above.

Last edited:

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My download speed in the uk currently is 800 KB/s

Yes of course im afraid of streaming because it will fucking suck and i wont play games anymore if it becomes the default. It wont though obviously.

Google considers the "worst case scenario" to be 15mbps.

D2Cr1NJXQAEU7JA.jpg

Run Google's speed test to see how far you fail by.

http://speed.googlefiber.net/

I'm in the UK metropolitan area and only have 10mbps.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, more ways to play games.

Not "afraid" in the slightest.

You're poll options are also extremely biased lol

Of course it is because of that's what every topic regarding this has become on here, a bunch of people scared of losing a box in what they believe is a dark future of gaming.

It's beyond ridiculous the type of panic this news has developed since getting teased a week ago.

Oct 29, 2017
No because I think the will always have physical and digital hardware at least for the foreseeable future . I guess around 2020 or so maybe it will be a issue .

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Streaming has its advantages (e.g. decreased likelihood of cheating and/or piracy), but I can't imagine certain genres (especially fighting games) making the jump to streaming without serious compromises. That said, if these newer services are better than stuff like OnLive, then I can't imagine the experience being all that bad, as OnLive worked very well from my extensive experience with it. We really need to get past bandwidth caps, though, and broadband access really needs to improve in rural areas.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I welcome the all streaming future. I don't want any more clutter. It may also be beneficial to the environment. Less garbage for landfills.

I wouldn't pay full price for games, but a subscription plan? Sure.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
IIT: People who don't understand that technology needs to grow and develop.

Anyone who refuses to use game streaming because it lacks flawless 1:1 disc parity is ignorant in thinking it's going to exist straight out the gate. The technology needs to grow and it can only do so with it's user base. If you're freaking out about Stadia being useless on your current internet connection then good. The challenge now lies with Google and telco companies to change and adapt to growing trends/needs/demands.

I, for one, think streaming games is a brilliant concept and when they nail it it's going to be something special. If Stadia is going to work for my connection/setup I'll get it and try it out. But I'm not expecting a perfect experience - I'm expecting the beginnings of an exciting new technology.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
IIT: People who don't understand that technology needs to grow and develop.

Anyone who refuses to use game streaming because it lacks flawless 1:1 disc parity is ignorant in thinking it's going to exist straight out the gate. The technology needs to grow and it can only do so with it's user base. If you're freaking out about Stadia being useless on your current internet connection then good. The challenge now lies with Google and telco companies to change and adapt to growing trends/needs/demands.

I, for one, think streaming games is a brilliant concept and when they nail it it's going to be something special. If Stadia is going to work for my connection/setup I'll get it and try it out. But I'm not expecting a perfect experience - I'm expecting the beginnings of an exciting new technology.
If the best streaming can be is "as good as it is without streaming" then I will continue not to care. Paying for a powerful machine is a whatever expense for me, whereas there are significant intractable issues intrinsic to streaming no matter how good it gets, like ownership/modding/offline play.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Adapt or die.
It might be a tough transition but I'll adapt even if it means becoming a hoarder of my favourite old games and a supporter of local hdd gaming based services too.
The future is always interesting to me so I'm willing to try whatever is coming,I don't know if I'll ever want to leave the way it is now behind completely, both? definitely.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
All streaming future, no I don't want it but that is never going to happen.
Where's the option of traditional consoles stay the same and steaming is another choice?

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm afraid because of living in a third world country . Yes my country already has 1gbps fibre connection with 10-20ms latency , but I don't want to move just because of that . Also , I actually preferred not to have any latency overhead other than monitor and kb/m or controller .

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Your poll options are bad so I had to vote 3 as undecided. But that's not my choice.

No I am not afraid of streaming. I have the internet for it and have been happily subscribed to ps now for over six months now and plan on staying with it indefinitely, and if MS puts out a next gen SKU with digital/stream only but with access to game pass so I can play their exclusives I will purchase one.

However I like options, I like owning certain games and I like local gameplay for recording videos so I am not all that enthused for any kind of "only" situation.

Deleted member 52407

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
As long as latency and uploads are terrible throughout the US, a streaming-only darkest timeline is not realistic.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
I'm currently a three game platform user (PC, PS4 and Switch). I think I would consider Stadia or Project X Cloud as my primary service for multiplatform AAA titles (parrticularly since I've been more interested in smaller titles the last few years). I don't need minimum input latency since I think my reflexes caps my ability long before latency. So as long as I don't think it feels terrible to play I'd be happy to use it. I'd still want a portable system that is not dependent on an internet connection for when I travel, and possibly others for exclusives.

I definitely see people's trepidation about input latency if they play competitively. While it personally isn't a major concern, it's why I think dedicated hardware will still have a place (I doubt eSports is going away, f.ex. my local football team just started its own FIFA team).

I'd love to be able to get 4k@60+ (if they succeed at delivering that) without continually chasing the latest and greatest in PC hardware. So I'd say I'm still cautiously optimistic after the Stadia presentation.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think streaming is a bad thing. I also don't want (or expect) an all streaming future.

I think the market will support both distribution methods, because there will be demand for both. Not worried at all.

I don't even understand why people talk like an all-streaming future is likely - it's much cheaper to for Publishers to sell digitally rather than provide a round the clock service. There are obviously benefits to locking customers into subscriptions, but the margins on digital sales are too big to ignore. They'll do both.

Last edited:

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I don't understand why some want traditional consoles(with physical media) to die. You can stream your games, or buy them digitally without the need for losing the traditional option.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless Google is also intending to roll out fiber to and across every country they intend to support most people won't even be able to use this service. It seems absolutely useless to me. I'm not even going to bother complaining about the ramifications of the inability to own, preserve, and modify our products considering I can't even use them anyway.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I have issues with it. My bigger issue is the potential for Google to suddenly blow into town and take over entirely. That's my fear.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
Your poll options are bad so I had to vote 3 as undecided. But that's not my choice.

No I am not afraid of streaming. I have the internet for it and have been happily subscribed to ps now for over six months now and plan on staying with it indefinitely, and if MS puts out a next gen SKU with digital/stream only but with access to game pass so I can play their exclusives I will purchase one.

However I like options, I like owning certain games and I like local gameplay for recording videos so I am not all that enthused for any kind of "only" situation.
Exactly but a non-fear mongering option is not what the OP was going for

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It's the future and I'm fine with it but I think the restraints of modern internet will cripple it for the foreseeable future. It's like VR, yea it works so it was pushed into the market but the experience people want isn't quite there yet.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Are we at the 'The End of dedicated Console' conversation 2.0 yet?

Yes?

Welp............that means a new generation of consoles are upon us and it will sell ever more then.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
There will always be indies making traditional PC games and Nintendo way behind the times. I will stick with that and join 1 or 2 streaming services based on the strength of their library when the US internet speeds catch up to the rest of the first world.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
There's been plenty of threads on this topic already in the past, and there's plenty of current threads to post your questions in. Please use one of the existing Stadia and/or X Cloud threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.