• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
With the unthinkable (finally) happening, we now have full cross-play between all consoles. Granted, it's currently only Fortnite and Rocket League, but it won't just stop there (presumably). I think, if it is technically possible (big if), The Elder Scrolls Online would be a nice choice for another cross-play game. Bethesda supports that game like crazy and are constantly adding to the game. If it did come, I would surely hope it would also have cross-save/cross-progression and cross-buy (for DLC), but I don't think the platform holders would ever go for the latter. I got it a while back on PS4 (have spent many, many hours on it) and then on PC (via Humble Bundle). I've barely touched the PC version, but if my PS4 character and progression could be brought over, I'd be all over that.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it has more to do with Sony than anything. They don't seem to cave unless a game is super popular like Fortnite and Rocket League.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we'd like to see it with every game, really. From a player standpoint, there's no reason not to (aside from situations of console players being at a disadvantage to PC players in some shooters)

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I mean, we'd like to see it with every game, really. From a player standpoint, there's no reason not to (aside from situations of console players being at a disadvantage to PC players in some shooters)
Honestly, I'm all for cross play matchmaking between consoles but I don't know if I want matchmaking crossplay with PC in any game due to cheaters. I'm so used to never having to worry about someone hacking, don't want to go back to the 360 days. Cross play parties with PC are great though.

OP
OP
EdReedFan20

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017

True, but PS4 and XB do have full KB&M support. Devs just don't utilize those features all that often. I remember UTIII on PS3 having KB&M support (and support for mods made on PC, too!).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
True, but PS4 and XB do have full KB&M support. Devs just don't utilize those features all that often. I remember UTIII on PS3 having KB&M support (and support for mods made on PC, too!).
Still, just because they can, doesn't mean that 99% of console players don't use them. Many console players are as such because they don't like KB&M

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony will only bend to the biggest of big games. No real incentive to make it system wide.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm all for cross play matchmaking between consoles but I don't know if I want matchmaking crossplay with PC in any game due to cheaters. I'm so used to never having to worry about someone hacking, don't want to go back to the 360 days. Cross play parties with PC are great though.

I dont know where people get that myth that PC games are full of cheaters. Its way overblown. The last time I personally saw a cheater was like 3 years ago in Dark Souls 2. If cheaters were a big problem on PC, then multiplayer games would be dead on this platform.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
It's not happening because of addon-support (API UI stuff, not mods), giving PC players a huge advantage, along with 60 fps etc. Even the best PS4 guild is only somewhat ok compared to PC leaderboard scores due to the many advantages PC players have.
The economy of PC and consoles are also quite different.

ZoS often stated they want to keep PC and console versions separated because it'd create that unfair advantage some players would have on other platforms. Especially in PvP, huge battles cause consoles to drop into single digit frames which again results in a frustrating experience for the ones with weaker hardware. Once next gen consoles arrive, PS4/XBO would be screwed in such a scenario. Each version is also doing more than fine with each platform having a very healthy player population.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
This would be pretty cool. Is ESO worth giving a shot? I've never been a huge MMO fan, but it could be fun on my PS4 or Xbone.
It's one of the most immersive MMORPG's imo. Just being there will make u feel good. The players around you only make it feel more alive, and then there's the raid at the end of each map where you have to work as a team to succed. It's got everything imo

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

From a technical standpoint it might be a problem, though. Take Battlefield 1 and V for example. Console servers run with 30hz, PC servers run with 60hz (and also support up to 120hz) tick rate. To get them to play together, we either have to damage the experience on PC by halving the tick rate of the servers, or damage the experience on consoles by bumping up those servers to 60hz tick rate which would result in higher CPU usage which would then result in lower overall performance.

But maybe things will change in the future, if the new consoles have better CPUs that could handle the same server configs as PC. Hoping that's the case, I'd love to see cross-play everywhere.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I dont know where people get that myth that PC games are full of cheaters. Its way overblown. The last time I personally saw a cheater was like 3 years ago in Dark Souls 2. If cheaters were a big problem on PC, then multiplayer games would be dead on this platform.
I mean, I don't play a lot of multiplayer on PC but even in the little I've played I've come across cheaters. Cheating is easier on PC than it ever was on say Xbox 360. Not to mention just having to worry at all if another player is hacking or not is just not a lot of fun.

MrSaxon

Jan 29, 2018
London
As someone who plays pretty regularly on PC with a small group, and who has friends both on the xbox and PS4 who play those respective versions of ESO, crossplay would be a dream come true for me. It would not only mean I could finally play with everyone I know but it would also eliminate one of the biggest problems for me: I have 400+ hours on ESO PC and have unlocked a vast number of cosmetics in that time. I just can't start again on PS4 or Xbox for that very reason.