• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The world is terrible and it's not going to get better. The "good" guys are just slightly less awful than the bad guys.

I'm too much of a fucking coward to actually kill myself though.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
The world has always been cruel, chaotic, and unfair, but that makes it all the more amazing that we can find beauty and meaning within it.

You are not the world, you are a single human being. You cannot fix everything that ails the world, nor should you feel obligated to. You can, however, connect with other people, art, music, etc that were shaped by this crazy world and find meaning in that.

Shrink your focus. Put away the news, put away the internet, put away your phone. Go for a long walk and observe little things along the way. Ground yourself in your present environment. That's where you exist, and that's where you can find meaning.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
OP, it's best that you talk to someone - trust me, there's a lot to be hopeful about and for.

Inbox is open!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Small things.

I always plan travels for the future. I plan motorcycle rides I will have. Books I'll read. It helps me.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Long history of trolling in mental health threads
Who are the good guys and bad guys?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
USA
1-800-273-8255

Anyone who is depressed, going through a hard time, needs to talk, or is thinking about suicide can use the chat. The chat counselors are there to listen and support you through whatever difficult times you may be facing.

CANADA
If you need support, call us now at our toll free number 1.833.456.4566. We are available 24x7x365. You will not incur long distance charges for your call. We offer support to anyone concerned about suicide. Whether you are suffering from a loss, worried about someone who may be having suicidal thoughts, or having suicidal thoughts yourself, our highly trained responders are there to provide support. Talking about suicide can open the door for effective dialogue about the intense emotional pain and can enable someone to see what steps need to be taken to ensure safety, whether it's your own or the safety of someone you care about. Connecting with someone about your suicidal thoughts is life-saving.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The world is terrible and it's not going to get better. The "good" guys are just slightly less awful than the bad guys.

I too have had thoughts of suicide in the past. Daily thoughts of suicide actually. I've taken antidepressants for over a decade now.

Yes. There are untold horrors in the world. Outrageous, heartbreaking injustices too. Not gonna bother listing them, ya'll know enough.

Those are the cards we, the people, have been dealt, just as like many other animals. We live, we laugh, we cry, we enjoy, we suffer, we die.

If you're lucky, you'll laugh more and cry less than most people. That's it. That's as good as it gets. Most people are in denial about this and wish very hard for an eternal paradise afterwards, because the deal they've gotten feels cruel and unacceptable to them. Many will tell them sweet lies while they prey on them.

On the plus side, there is a lot of love out there, and a ton of beauty too. We have music, and jokes, and hugs and stories and we have made countless wonders. We're in a forum about one of those wonders right now.

I've been trying to optimize my life to increase the good feelings and decrease the bad. It's a tough balancing act between short term and long term gratification and I fail often.

Hang in there Kinsei .

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I think overall the world is becoming a better place to live.

Whenever progress occurs, reactionaries push back.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
You should read about stoicism. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius or something. You can't control the world, but you can control your focus and daily habits.

If you're giving yourself hours a day to sit around and ruminate on how awful the world is, maybe don't. Stay off the internet, don't watch the news. Your brain is primed to latch onto anything that will fuel your negative outlook. It's a nasty form of confirmation bias, and it's not healthy.

Walk around more, pick up some kind of vigorous physical activity, and also pick up a hobby that requires long periods of mental concentration.

Also maybe read The Power of Now, and learn about mindfulness, which is basically the practice of shutting off the agitated train of thought that's probably chattering inside your brain all the time. Reason is a gift, but our minds can torment us if we don't learn how to direct our attention.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
No matter what everyone else is doing and all the bullshit in the world I will always want to live to spend time with my family and doing everything that I want to do.

I don't live my life at the whim of other people.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Hang in there mate. I was at that place 3 years ago.

Try to appreciate the little things in life.
What kept me from doing it is that I don't want might miss out things I enjoy.
There too many music to listen,movies to watch, books to read, games to play and more activities to do.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
The world isn't all terrible at all.

Take a break from stuff like the news, the internet and especially the OT section on this forum for a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The best advice my therapist gave to me, was to excuse yourself from the constant negativity surrounding the 24 hour news cycle. I'm sorry you are struggling, try to find joy in the smaller things, we can't control what happens in the world, but we can control what happens in our little corner. Go for a walk, hug a dog etc.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Family and friends really. The world is trash but I love my family and the great friends I've made along this crazy ride. All I focus on right now is trying to stay in good health, staying employed, keeping my relationships intact, and saving for retirement. I've honestly stopped giving a fuck about the world at large. Stopped in 2016 and that existential despair only deepened when the GOP at large pretty much wholesale gave the green light on open corruption earlier this year.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
The world has always been cruel, chaotic, and unfair, but that makes it all the more amazing that we can find beauty and meaning within it.

You are not the world, you are a single human being. You cannot fix everything that ails the world, nor should you feel obligated to. You can, however, connect with other people, art, music, etc that were shaped by this crazy world and find meaning in that.

Shrink your focus. Put away the news, put away the internet, put away your phone. Go for a long walk and observe little things along the way. Ground yourself in your present environment. That's where you exist, and that's where you can find meaning.

Hell of a first response. Thanks yogurt.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Looking for good guys on the world stage is a losing battle. You'll find them closer to home, though. And in far greater numbers than you'd think.

This isn't a new trend, either - it's been this way for centuries. The good is in the smaller places and the smaller deeds.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Honestly OP i think it might be for the best to avoid OT here at least during this election year. It's going to be really rough and nasty the rest of the year.

Oct 28, 2017
Cheeseburgers with siracha mayo and a pepper fried egg on top. That's reason enough for me.

What I'm saying is it is the small things that make the difference in life. My old friend used to tell me, always take care of the little things cause the big things take care of itself.

I live for the little things. Those moment are my everyday miracles that keep me sane and happy just to breathe.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
you can walk around outside...

have people actually been staying indoors this past month or so?

Yes :( because the weather has been awful most days- cold, snow or rain with a few good days thrown in once in a while. We have been below our average temperature almost the entire second half of April.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
No BS, life on this planet is horrible for the non-privileged. Human beings are shit and the vast majority of them are, no matter what they pretend, only looking out for themselves.

That said, there do seem to be isolated individuals who have genuinely good hearts and actually practice the concepts of empathy, compassion, and charity. It is these folks that you should look to for motivation to live. In my case, this is my bestie, whom is the only person I've ever been close to whom hasn't eventually kicked me out of their life. Through thick and thin, she's stuck by me. She may be a "difficult" person, in many ways. (How many truly empathetic folks haven't been badly bullied and abused to the point of damage, though?) At the end of the day, after the fair-weather "friends" have all conveniently ducked out, she's always there for me.

So even if I agree that life isn't worth living for myself (it really isn't), I live for her because she deserves to have her best friend in her life.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Hang in there.

I try not to stress myself out on things that I can't influence.
Just try to focus on yourself.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I feel you OP. Everyone busies themselves with distractions and denial saying over and over to themselves that being alive is a great thing to be. We all are just trying to not notice how horrible it is, have our own little bubble of comfort, and not pay attention to our impending deaths as time is constant and there is nothing you can do about it. It's just part of the human experience. You get spat out, fed fairy tales, placed in a box, expected to reproduce and then die. It's just what human life is. Everything anyone ever wants or does is a distraction from their impending death. I don't suggest killing yourself though as look - I just typed this out as a distraction to my own. It's a conundrum of existential dread. Try and stay safe and comfortable, find things you enjoy to do, don't reproduce if you think living is not a great thing and do no harm, to others or yourself.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
You are absolutely 100% correct. I've been thinking the same for a very long time. When you think about it, for some people, living is suffering. Every second they continue to live, they endure the never ending pain. For some people, life is never worth living. If you happened to be really poor and became homeless, there's a chance that you will never really make it out and will probably die alone, starving. And this happens, everyday. Likewise, if you happened to live in a war torn country where the threat of death is always looming over your head and have lost all your family with no one to help you, what reason is there to live any more? You never know when a drone strike could land on you and kill you. Or someone captured as a POW who is tortured every single day of their life, until his very last breath. No one wants their very existence to be an endless source of pain and suffering.

And the people responsible for it are often never brought to justice. They live a comfortable life and die comfortably too. I have realized a long time ago that there is no justice in this world. Maybe there's a slight chance that there will be justice after this world ends but I really, really doubt it. If there is a god then he is a shitty, negligent, sadistic god who allows, even enjoys, all this suffering that happens. A god like that isn't worth worshipping anyway.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yes, it is really hard. Since I like astronomy, sometimes it helps to watch videos about the solar system or just think about how insignificant we truly are. It's a bandaid I know, but it kinda helps me forget about all the bullshit that exists in this human-run world.

Mar 29, 2018

OK, so let's put this in perspective for you

Say you're a human 1,000 years ago.
From birth, your life would literally be second-by-second violent chaos. Chances are you'd watch your siblings and/or parents die in your first years of life, probably in agony and violence. Your childhood would be full of pure, agonising hunger, pain and violence with no stability or sense of "the future". You'd exist only in an uncomfortable or actively unpleasant present. In any given month or year, invaders could appear who would destroy your home and steal from your family, taking all your prized and personal possessions, and probably rape or dismember you and maybe kill you - or drag you along as an under-fed prisoner. You probably wouldn't live to 10, let alone 20 or 30 - you probably wouldn't even survive your first hours after birth. Every single human's worldview was completely and totally subsumed in acts of God, and religion, and following arcane and often heinous rites and rituals, entirely because nobody could fucking understand anything. What is the sun? What is wind? What the fuck is the ocean? "All I know is I have to survive and I'll probably have to kill someone to do it."

Say you're a human in 1944.
Even though life is completely different to the above and much improved, you're living in constant fear. A malevolent force has swept across much of the world and wishes to enslave half of humanity and kill the other half in search of "purity". You will live every day in anxiety your nation's efforts would fail and this force would sweep across your town and home and friends and family's lives in a matter of months. You'd be hearing about the development of weapons which can literally destroy cities, if not countries. You'd be sitting there reading in the paper about how the US have developed an unprecedented weapon and might deploy it on Germany or Japan or northern Africa, wiping out millions of people in the blink of an eye. You'd be watching the entire planet stew in a massive cocktail of interconnected violence.

Just remember this. Remember the present is good.
Remember history, and how much worse everything was in the past.

Yes, there is tons of evil in the world. Yes, many things are still bad and we still face big catastrophes and unprecedented problems.

But remember that where we are now, in the 21st century, is fucking heaven compared to 99.99% of human history to-date. From 30,000 BC to 1800-1950, the entire world was just in violent, horrific, unruly chaos, pretty much at all times. Even today, large chunks of the world are like this, but nothing compared to pre-20th century. The internet and mobile phones are sweeping across under-educated and detached countries and communities, accelerating education and collaboration and community. Diseases are being controlled. Science is gradually uncovering answers to mysteries and problems that have plagued human civilisation since its earliest days.

WE have made things better for ourselves to an unprecedented extent. We have eradicated diseases, improved quality of life world-wide, worked out how to have conversations simultaneously on opposite sides of the globe. Anything is possible.

Historians generally describe historic human life as being such a completely alien, chaotic experience compared to modern life that we just can't fathom what it would be like. Just remember that.

You are absolutely 100% correct. I've been thinking the same for a very long time. When you think about it, for some people, living is suffering. Every second they continue to live, they endure the never ending pain. For some people, life is never worth living. If you happened to be really poor and became homeless, there's a chance that you will never really make it out and will probably die alone, starving. And this happens, everyday. Likewise, if you happened to live in a war torn country where the threat of death is always looming over your head and have lost all your family with no one to help you, what reason is there to live any more? You never know when a drone strike could land on you and kill you. Or someone captured as a POW who is tortured every single day of their life, until his very last breath. No one wants their very existence to be an endless source of pain and suffering.

And the people responsible for it are often never brought to justice. They live a comfortable life and die comfortably too. I have realized a long time ago that there is no justice in this world. Maybe there's a slight chance that there will be justice after this world ends but I really, really doubt it. If there is a god then he is a shitty, negligent, sadistic god who allows, even enjoys, all this suffering that happens. A god like that isn't worth worshipping anyway.
Even in those places, things are better than ever, and justice does exist even if it's overwhelmed by injustice on a personal level.

Last edited:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP. Everyone busies themselves with distractions and denial saying over and over to themselves that being alive is a great thing to be. We all are just trying to not notice how horrible it is, have our own little bubble of comfort, and not pay attention to our impending deaths as time is constant and there is nothing you can do about it. It's just part of the human experience. You get spat out, fed fairy tales, placed in a box, expected to reproduce and then die. It's just what human life is. Everything anyone ever wants or does is a distraction from their impending death. I don't suggest killing yourself though as look - I just typed this out as a distraction to my own. It's a conundrum of existential dread. Try and stay safe and comfortable, find things you enjoy to do, don't reproduce if you think living is not a great thing and do no harm, to others or yourself.
All of that knowledge can coexist with appreciating life and finding meaning and beauty. That's the basis of 20th century existentialist philosophy - Camus, Sartre, Beauvoir, etc. Camus's Dilemma of the Absurd deals directly with this (look it up).

We are all terrified of the finite and fragile nature of existence. Denial is a dead end. The best path forward is fully accepting the reality and going through the final loss of innocence that it entails. It isn't easy, but on the other side there are many fulfilling lives to be lived.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
im constantly circling the drain myself and just waiting for the next particularly shitty thing to happen

Deleted member 9840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We are Jack, and like many before us, we find ourselves alone at sea. We have an Atlas that kindly asks to explore the world. We can't help but think how beautiful it would be, if no-one was hooked on Adam or Eve. We meet big daddies and little sisters along the way. We ignore some, we fight some and we help some.

Jack knows there mustn't be a burial at sea, when he can choose from more lighthouses with unopened doors, than there are grains of sand on the beaches of the world.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
OK, so let's put this in perspective for you

Say you're a human 1,000 years ago.
From birth, your life would literally be second-by-second violent chaos. Chances are you'd watch your siblings and/or parents die in your first years of life, probably in agony and violence. Your childhood would be full of pure, agonising hunger, pain and violence with no stability or sense of "the future". You'd exist only in an uncomfortable or actively unpleasant present. In any given month or year, invaders could appear who would destroy your home and steal from your family, taking all your prized and personal possessions, and probably rape or dismember you and maybe kill you - or drag you along as an under-fed prisoner. You probably wouldn't live to 10, let alone 20 or 30 - you probably wouldn't even survive your first hours after birth. Every single human's worldview was completely and totally subsumed in acts of God, and religion, and following arcane and often heinous rites and rituals, entirely because nobody could fucking understand anything. What is the sun? What is wind? What the fuck is the ocean? "All I know is I have to survive and I'll probably have to kill someone to do it."

Say you're a human in 1944.
Even though life is completely different to the above and much improved, you're living in constant fear. A malevolent force has swept across much of the world and wishes to enslave half of humanity and kill the other half in search of "purity". You will live every day in anxiety your nation's efforts would fail and this force would sweep across your town and home and friends and family's lives in a matter of months. You'd be hearing about the development of weapons which can literally destroy cities, if not countries. You'd be sitting there reading in the paper about how the US have developed an unprecedented weapon and might deploy it on Germany or Japan or northern Africa, wiping out millions of people in the blink of an eye. You'd be watching the entire planet stew in a massive cocktail of interconnected violence.

Just remember this. Remember the present is good.
Remember history, and how much worse everything was in the past.

Yes, there is tons of evil in the world. Yes, many things are still bad and we still face big catastrophes and unprecedented problems.

But remember that where we are now, in the 21st century, is fucking heaven compared to 99.99% of human history to-date. From 30,000 BC to 1800-1950, the entire world was just in violent, horrific, unruly chaos, pretty much at all times. Even today, large chunks of the world are like this, but nothing compared to pre-20th century. The internet and mobile phones are sweeping across under-educated and detached countries and communities, accelerating education and collaboration and community. Diseases are being controlled. Science is gradually uncovering answers to mysteries and problems that have plagued human civilisation since its earliest days.

WE have made things better for ourselves to an unprecedented extent. We have eradicated diseases, improved quality of life world-wide, worked out how to have conversations simultaneously on opposite sides of the globe. Anything is possible.

Historians generally describe historic human life as being such a completely alien, chaotic experience compared to modern life that we just can't fathom what it would be like. Just remember that.

Well said, I cannot fathom how someone can look at history and think "Wow they had it good back then!" It is an utter insult to the billions of souls who have died in agony.

Life for people is only getting better and better. Yes, if you spend the majority of your day looking at Era off-topic or the news things must seem horrible, because that's what they want you to believe. But things only get better.

You should think about things you enjoy about life and look into a therapist.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My advice is to get off social media and log out of Era for a while, turn off the news, and go for a nice walk outdoors. The world is a better place than it was in the past, but negative news gathers more attention than the stories of people doing good in their communities. Try not to let what's happening now dissuade you from staying alive.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I've felt like this before, too. Reducing time spent on social media (Twitter, Reddit, Resetera) might do a lot to help you. You don't need to be "informed" at the cost of your mental health. Spend the next few weeks away from all that stuff and tell us if you noticed any differences

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
My advice is to get off social media and log out of Era for a while, turn off the news, and go for a nice walk outdoors. The world is a better place than it was in the past, but negative news gathers more attention than the stories of people doing good in their communities. Try not to let what's happening now dissuade you from staying alive.

100% this. Step out the bubble my friend. It can drag you down.

Remember, social media is designed to fuck with your emotions. It's healthy to take a break from the noise...

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I really feel like once this is over, the world will be stronger than it was before. It was trending in a bad direction, but I think a lot of good will come from this ultimately.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Cheeseburgers with siracha mayo and a pepper fried egg on top. That's reason enough for me.

What I'm saying is it is the small things that make the difference in life. My old friend used to tell me, always take care of the little things cause the big things take care of itself.

I live for the little things. Those moment are my everyday miracles that keep me sane and happy just to breathe.
This is a great post and pretty much my way of thinking. I used to be very much like you Kinsei . I get it. After a while I just started focusing on the good, the things I enjoy, things I Look forward to. I even like it if i can make someone's day at work or wherever. It's not perfect, but it helps me get through the daily grind.