• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not counting the first Pokemon movie because I was like 6, the only time I've seen an anime movie in theaters was DBZ Ressurection F. Lucky enough to catch the last screening, they weren't joking about that being out for a limited time.

Large, packed room. Surprisingly chill crowd. One dude tried to yell a joke and it fell flat and he learned his lesson without anyone having to say anything. But people laughed at the funny bits, maybe a little cheering, but nothing too out there.

But what am I getting into with an opening night crowd if I go see this Tuesday night at 7.

Just curious to hear how these things go before I find out for myself.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This will be my first. Looking forward to it! I have intentionally kept myself in the ark too. Haven't watched the last two trailers.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My best experience was battle of gods. Everyone laughed at the jokes and cheered at the right moments. Which is weird because that usually just happens overseas (and by that I mean america).

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
My dad still can't forgive me for forcing him to wacth Pokemon 2000 with me

I had so much fun tho

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not great. I saw the Attack on Titan season 2 movie in theaters in the Summer and even though the theater wasn't packed, 75% of the audience were laughing way overly hard at all the serious moments and stuff that's been meme'd to death online. Fucking annoying! Just treat the story like the rest of the audience isn't exposed to your inside jokes you simpletons.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the My Hero Academia movie in the cinema (UK sub release) a few weeks ago. The audience was much more into it compared to other movies, and my father enjoyed seeing the movie too.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The only anime movie I've watched in a theater was Resurrection F and the crowd was pretty hyped for it

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The closest I've been to was seeing MFKZ at cinema last year. It was like any other screening.

I have tickets booked for Broly and my local cinema only has two screenings for it. One Dub one Sub. One night only for each, one showing only for each. It's bizarre given they're both sold out.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd assume it would be the same as any other movie. I think at least her in Los Angeles they have showings at pretty standard theatres now and not just the smalle specialty ones

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine having to wait a week

THIS POST WAS MADE BY THE PUERTO RICO GANG

for delicious DBZ sakuga on the big screen

But for real tho, I couldn't see the MHA movie when it played here but I saw Resurrection of F and it was super fun. Same with Broly really, everyone got super hyped but weren't obnoxiously loud about it so it was a good time.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I've always had a great time going. Fans can be pretty annoying online, but in real life everyone is genuinely just as excited as you are.

Only problem I run into is that because everyone is being so friendly you'll sometimes run into someone who wants to hang around you and talk through the whole movie next to you. A mild annoyance, but it isn't too bad. You also enjoy everyone's live reaction, which is pretty fun.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Hilarious, obnoxious, about what you'd expect getting a bunch of anime nerds together in a room to watch Dragon Ball.

I think you have to know what you're getting into.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Me and two buddies got tickets for the premiere in Germany (it's a one time showing in OV before it comes out dubbed months later), we are all 30+ and never been to an anime movie in a cinema. Can't fucking wait.

Abyss

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen three in theaters, Battle of Gods, Resurrection of F and the Psycho Pass movie. Enjoyed each going, the first two more since i actually saw those with some friends. I plan on seeing A Silent Voice at the end of the month. Still haven't decided which day to see Broly yet

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fun. I went to Resurrection F and it was great seeing fathers bringing their children to pass it on.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saw a few anime movie in theaters. The most recent was the "My Hero Academia" film that I saw with my brother.

It was a pretty fun experience. The audience was really into it.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Only saw the MHA movie in theater, small theater but people were pretty respectful and into it. Will be seeing Broly next week, pretty excited for it.

Nov 2, 2017
I did Evangelion 3.0 and the first Heaven's Feel movie in theaters. Both times you had people being "hilarious" about things. "Get in the damn robot Shinji" etc, but for the most part it was fine. Heaven's Feel was definitely a bit better.

It's worth going just to see anime on the big screen. If you want peace and quiet you can do that any time at home

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of off topic but is there anything you need to know from Super before the Broly film?
I saw both Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F but I haven't actually watched the series.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw One Piece Gold I was surprised that I was the only other adult there, everyone else was kids with their parents. I'm not sure how many were actual fans and how many just went to go see it cause it was an animated film. But there was barely a turnout, I remember small crowds back when the death note movies were a thing.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of off topic but is there anything you need to know from Super before the Broly film?
I saw both Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F but I haven't actually watched the series.
I saw Broly yesterday in Puerto Rico and the crowd was great. Answering your question. The only thing they reference from the series is the Tournament of power, but I don't think you need to watch it to enjoy the movie. If any other poster feels different you're free to reference the parts or episodes you think are important to see before the movie.

Oct 25, 2017
Mexican here, this movie came out today and I watched it a couple of hours ago.

It''s focused and gets to the point, I liked it.

There were very few people at my cinema as I went on a Friday at 12pm, so basically no children as they are at school. I also went to see the FSN Heaven's Feel movie last year and it was packed but everyone was quiet during the whole movie.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about the actual movie, but seeing Resurrection "F" in a packed theater was one of the best theater going experiences I've ever had. Everyone was SO fucking into it. Anytime a Kamehameha would get wound up, the whole audience would say it with them. People going nuts and cheering for their favorite characters, (Vegeta revealing he achieved SSB too gained a huge reaction), laughing at the jokes....it was just so much fun. For a standard film, it could've gotten on my nerves. But it was perfect for a DBZ film, where the movies pretty much feel like a massive title fight event.

So yeah, I'm expecting Broly to be a fucking blast. I'll be seeing it on IMAX too.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I saw the MHA movie the other month and have no complaints about the experience. People cheered and laughed at the appropriate times, but the crowd wasn't annoying or anything.
There's not much you need to know.
The only details from Super that come up are that there was a big Tournament between multiple Universes, and Freeza was brought back to life as a reward for helping Goku save their Universe

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I've been dragged to a few of the DBZ movies by friends, and it's been pretty okay. Audience makeup is about what you'd expect, but no awkward moments.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mexican here, this movie came out today and I watched it a couple of hours ago.

It''s focused and gets to the point, I liked it.

There were very few people at my cinema as I went on a Friday at 12pm, so basically no children as they are at school. I also went to see the FSN Heaven's Feel movie last year and it was packed but everyone was quiet during the whole movie.
I'm beginning to think this phenomenon of people screaming, clapping, and interacting with films in theaters may be an American thing exclusively. I went to see that past two DBZ movies in packed theaters in Mexico and ppl would laugh at the jokes and whatnot but nothing close to yelling Kamehameha alongside the characters in the movie.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think this phenomenon of people screaming, clapping, and interacting with films in theaters may be an American thing exclusively. I went to see that past two DBZ movies in packed theaters in Mexico and ppl would laugh at the jokes and whatnot but nothing close to yelling Kamehameha alongside the characters in the movie.

yeah, we laugh(Which is perfectly fine) but that's it.

I like it that way.

Oct 25, 2017
One dude tried to yell a joke and it fell flat and he learned his lesson without anyone having to say anything.
This ALWAYS happens anytime I go out for these things. Some corny ass yuckster can't wait to crack open his nerdy gem of a joke in the most obnoxious possible way, only for it to fall totally flat in front of everyone.

At least you had the fortune of one dud shutting the dude up. My comedians usually need the deafening silence of 2 or 3 failures (and then finally frustrated shushes) to finally get the picture.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I went to DBZ Resurrection F and really enjoyed the experience. The movie itself was really entertaining but there's something to be said about a theater experience packed to the brim with people who are really into the material. Everyone's laughing along with the jokes, cheering on big moments, and just generally making the whole movie that more engaging by making the environment around it so electric.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they are showing Broly in Imax over where Im at. I really want to experience watching an anime on the biggest screen possible.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen both new DBZ movies, the first Broly movie, a Bardock/Fusion Reborn double feature, the most recent One Piece movie, the MHA movie, two Sailor Moon movies, the most recent Pokemon movie, and just a stupid amount of Ghibli movies.

I haven't really had many issues with most of them, but I have had bad experiences with some of them.

The first Broly movie had people laughing at moments that were funny in the abridged version which is pretty fucking annoying.

The MHA movie probably had the worst crowd. There was one dude in front of us that kept cracking jokes that didn't land, but every time they didn't land, he just assumed it was because people couldn't here him, so he would say the bad joke again, but louder. Then we had a group of girls who got verbally and loudly angry when Deku so much as talked to the movie original girl. Shippers are the fucking worst.

On a positive note, Ghibli movie crowds are chill as fuck.