• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
IMO I think its an outdated idea nowadays especially when lots of services like Netflix are platform agnostic. I also expect the whole gaming industry to aggressively consolidate as companies buy other studios, publishers to gain an advantage for their service.

Is Netflix not a platform in of itself? Not a hardware platform, but a software platform.

Also fun fact: Netflix spent around $13 billion on exclusive content last year. Exclusives aren't going anywhere, in fact they're becoming more and more important each year.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming platform exclusives are literally what the business model of streaming video is based on. The whole draw of Disney+ is going to be getting Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney content you can't get anywhere else. The OP is completely backwards.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Game Streaming isn't going to take off in US since it uses much more data than Netflix/streaming movies/tv when you have quality close to an actual disc. Too many cities have internet monopolies for high speed with a 1 Tb data cap or worse. I have 0 alternatives if I want anything faster than a paltry 18 Mbps other than Xfinity which I have at 250 Mbps and a 1 TB data cap. Every month I always go over 500GB and many months above 800. No way will I be able to stream games.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Exclusives ain't going anywhere

Sony games will only be able on Sony streaming platforms

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I think some like yourself perhaps confuse Microsoft having arguably weaker or less prominent exclusives with them not actually caring for them. Right now the console exclusives are the key thing that is bolstering their services. If weren't for the exclusives, simply put Game Pass wouldn't have nearly the same draw or appeal, and without those console based software sales, nor would the revenue justify them.

Likewise, if competitor streaming options had better exclusives than Microsoft's, consumers would sub to competitor streaming options instead (much like many presently do with consoles). Microsoft clearly recognises this and also do care for exclusives, seeing as how they've acquired many studios that will presumably create predominantly exclusives. Selling console hardware and individual software, is still extremely lucrative, so there's no reason they'd want to disregard that side of things either.

A streaming future?

Whilst streaming may be a key part of our gaming future, right now none of the sales data or stats support the notion that console gaming is shrinking or will suddenly and dramatically be replaced by streaming any time soon. With console gaming, presently the complete opposite is true, console gaming has seen huge growth and exclusives matter now as much as ever. Also, the consoles and platforms that have the best or most appealing console exclusives, are dominating the gaming market in both hardware, software and service based revenue.

Posts like yours are eerily reminiscent of the misguided posts that propped up prior to the last gen, where people similarly were predicting the death of consoles and a complete switch to all digital, mobile and/or service based gaming. Now the next big boogeyman to wipe out console gaming is streaming. The cycle of bad predictions never ends.

The reality is, consumers like having a single device (console) to reliably and efficiently play their games on. Besides, streaming platforms/tech, nor Internet infrastructure, is at a point of global fruition to be able to flip things otherwise, nor will it be any time soon.

Hell even if it were, I doubt console gaming would be that much more diminished, since the appeal, consistent performance and reliability is simply there, especially compared to streaming options which could suffer lag, latency, connection drop outs, data cap issues and all sorts. Not to mention many won't find the idea of paying for several different concurrent streaming subscriptions at the same time particularly appealing. To your specific example, any region that doesn't have consoles at all or has extortionately priced ones, is likely to also have poor and extortionately expensive Internet infrastructure and services too. Infact in many less prominent but growing gaming markets, poor Internet infrastructure, reliability and bandwidth regulations, are some of the key issues or concerns, which sort of further diminishes the point.

MS only cares if their "exclusive" is on their platform...not just console. Yes, right now, console exclusives bolster their services. AT E3, when MS mentions exclusives from their first party what do they say "Xbox One and Windows 10 Exclusive"...not "xbox one exclusive". I never stated that they don't care for exclusives...I sait that they don't care for console only type of exclusives...they don't care for JUST THAT...they care more about the platform having the exclusive. Selling consoles are NOT lucrative...selling software is lucrative. You know that they barely make money on these console right? You do understand that? Consoles aren't like iPhones with a high profit margin. Consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon and I never stated that...they will become niche.

You are clearly talking about the "right now" and I'm clearly talking about the future. If you think that streaming isn't going to take off at some point...well that's your perogative. Console gaming, while it can make a lot of money...it's still a very small market. It's like a 200 million user market. With PC, it's around a 400 million market. You include mobile and it's a multi billion user market. You think that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo don't want those other users?

I never called for the death of console gaming, I said it would become niche. Streaming will eventually be the mass market way of playing games. Consoles will still be there and they will still be a big factor in the gaming market...but as time and technology increases...the necessity of a console dwindles. It's the same thing that's happening with digital and physical. Slowly but surely more people are buying digital. That's not to say physical will go away...but it will be turning into a more niche product. I mean...literally the same thing happened on PC where its gone forever really. I mean...look at a EB Games store nowadays...its the trajectory. The same thing will happen with consoles. It's not going to go away...but it slowly will become niche. The hardware focus will turn to the cloud.

It's post like yours that just look at stuff right now and how it is now and not what it will be. People talked about data cap and connections issues all the way back in 2013...and look at much digital gaming as taken off...and how much people are just always online. Data caps always increase...always...over time. Like I said, consoles will be here for the foreseeable future...and it will have a major role to play...but most of the users will eventually be streaming. You can disagree all you want...but just like other forms of media...games will do the same.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
People who say streaming isn't the future remind me of the PS2 fans who used to say multiplayer will never replace single player.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Multiplayer is now the most popular genre in the world, and most profitable.

Single player games are mainly a niche in terms of revenue and popularity
Please show your work.

The multiplayer games generating mass revenue and popularity are few among the sea of games available, though the ones that make it are undoubtedly huge, true.
SP games have not gone anywhere and remain popular, usually enjoying a longer life.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean y'all do realize that these streaming companies are all in a TREMENDOUS amount of debt and are basically just doing everything they can to finance and bullshit their way through the fact that the world's, but most importantly the US's, data and ISP infrastructure is not at all built for it to be a viable and profitable venture for these parties involved as currently constructed, right?

Analogue hardware and game discs exist because while the profit margins on them are thin, they actually exist, unlike the ersatz economy that comes from subscriptions and those types of revenue streams. They don't pay enough to keep the lights on and the serves running by themselves and that's not likely to change any time relatively soon. They'll exist as a nice side revenue that justifies their continued development and advancement of their technology, but they're the future. Not the here and now.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Multiplayer is now the most popular genre in the world, and most profitable.

Single player games are mainly a niche in terms of revenue and popularity

Edit. I recall having debates where people said this would never happen
And mobile microtransaction games are more popular and profitable than any multiplayer or single player game on consoles and PC.

What's your point? Nothing has replaced anything else. They all coexist and are healthy and thriving. The most recent single player only Zelda game is the most ambitious and highest selling entry in the franchise. It also has the highest tie ratio with the new Nintendo system. Niche? I think not.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Please show your work.

The multiplayer games generating mass revenue and popularity are few among the sea of games available, though the ones that make it are undoubtedly huge, true.
SP games have not gone anywhere and remain popular, usually enjoying a longer life.

The top ten most played list on each console is always dominated by multi.

Single player games rarely feature, they come and go.

When compared to the glory years of the PS2 it's obvious how much they declined

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
No, console exclusives will continue to exist as long as there is financial incentive for companies to make exclusivity deals.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
And mobile microtransaction games are more popular and profitable than any multiplayer or single player game on consoles and PC.

What's your point? Nothing has replaced anything else. They all coexist and are healthy and thriving. The most recent single player only Zelda game is the most ambitious and highest selling entry in the franchise. It also has the highest tie ratio with the new Nintendo system. Niche? I think not.

The general point is I read post saying streaming will never take off, but I think it does in a big way. Just as people so vehemently said multiplayer would never be popular on console, now it's the most popular

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
What? Game streaming is younger than VR. Even if it does become popular it will be a while before it gains any traction to overtake traditional consoles

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The general point is I read post saying streaming will never take off, but I think it does in a big way. Just as people so vehemently said multiplayer would never be popular on console, now it's the most popular
Then you worded it very poorly, because anyone who said that multiplayer would never replace single player is absolutely correct. :)

I think streaming will certainly take off, like all technology, things only move forward. As streaming is merely a form of delivery, a comparison to actual content type is not quite right. A better comparison would be people who said that streaming would never replace physical releases for other similar mediums - music and films/TV. In that practical example, for the majority of people I would say that yes, streaming has replaced the consumption of physical media. At first it was just downloads, like how it is for Steam releases today, but now it's all just straight streaming via Spotify and Netflix. So that would be a better example.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Then you worded it very poorly, because anyone who said that multiplayer would never replace single player is absolutely correct. :)

I think streaming will certainly take off, like all technology, things only move forward. As streaming is merely a form of delivery, a comparison to actual content type is not quite right. A better comparison would be people who said that streaming would never replace physical releases for other similar mediums - music and films/TV. In that practical example, for the majority of people I would say that yes, streaming has replaced the consumption of physical media. At first it was just downloads, like how it is for Steam releases today, but now it's all just straight streaming via Spotify and Netflix. So that would be a better example.

Yea better wording was needed although single player games in the PS2 era compared to what they are today doesn't paint a good picture. Gone from dominant to well a niche.

Oct 25, 2017
You say that but Neflix has spent a considerable amount on creating their own exclusive content.

Console or 'platform' exclusives aren't going anywhere.

I just came here to say this. Where is this thought coming from that platform exclusives or console exclusives are just going to die because new ways of delivering or playing games are appearing? How does that corelate at all?

Netflix legit spends billions on making exclusives content for their service lol

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
IMO I think its an outdated idea nowadays especially when lots of services like Netflix are platform agnostic.

You can't watch Netflix originals content on other platforms other than Netflix, son. So i don't know what you mean by 'platform agnostic'. Platform in this case is defined as Netflix the service itself, not the box it is running on.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Spider-Man just sold nearly 10m copies in two months. Why does streaming changing anything? They still need reasons to get players onto their platform over the others. If anything, more competitors means more exclusives.

I think either company would trade off physical consoles sold in order to get people to subscribe to a service.

Subscriptions are a goldmine for companies. Sure, people cancel, but many people don't. And a lot of people would be more willing to pay $60-100/year of a subscription than drop $300-500 on a console.

You expand PlayStation Now to include PlayStation 1st party exclusives day and date on the service (like Xbox Game Pass), you'll see a ton of PC gamers subscribe.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Like Netflix or HBO, the games will be exclusive to their services (PS Now, X Cloud...)

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
People who say streaming isn't the future remind me of the PS2 fans who used to say multiplayer will never replace single player.
It did? Spider Man, GOW, HZD, BOTW flopped? So indie games have all gone multiplayer? Gimme some of what you smoking.

Just because the battle royale genre is popular and has a lots of players doesn't mean multiplayer took over. SP and MP still coexist as they always have been. Players intertwine between the 2.

Oct 28, 2017
All streaming is probably next-next gen so 6+ years away. By then my backlog will be the measured in Terabytes.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
It did? Spider Man, GOW, HZD, BOTW flopped? So indie games have all gone multiplayer? Gimme some of what you smoking.

Just because the battle royale genre is popular and has a lots of players doesn't mean multiplayer took over. SP and MP still coexist as they always have been. Players intertwine between the 2.

They are no longer the main revenue drivers and yes multiplayer games took over in a big way.

As I stated, I once had discussions with friends who said that multiplayer which at the time was only popular on PC would breakout on console.

And the whole streaming debate whether it will take off on consoles harkens me back to those convos

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think either company would trade off physical consoles sold in order to get people to subscribe to a service.

Subscriptions are a goldmine for companies. Sure, people cancel, but many people don't. And a lot of people would be more willing to pay $60-100/year of a subscription than drop $300-500 on a console.

You expand PlayStation Now to include PlayStation 1st party exclusives day and date on the service (like Xbox Game Pass), you'll see a ton of PC gamers subscribe.

I'm not sure why this is seen as such a big thing vs exclusives period. Even if they arent day and date, you cant play Playstation exclusives anywhere else but Sony consoles and services. If God of War or Spider-Man becomes available in 4 months for PS Now, thats still a reason for PC gamers to subscribe. Its just later instead of right now.

I know getting exclusives day and date is nice, but that doesnt negate exclusives coming later.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Killer exclusives push hardware.

That $199 PS4 with Spider-Man wouldn't have sold nearly as well if it came with something available on both platforms.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will happen, but not suddenly, next gen will be phased beginning of it and after that it probably will become the norm/go to for a younger generation.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I'm not sure why this is seen as such a big thing vs exclusives period. Even if they arent day and date, you cant play Playstation exclusives anywhere else but Sony consoles and services. If God of War or Spider-Man becomes available in 4 months for PS Now, thats still a reason for PC gamers to subscribe. Its just later instead of right now.

I know getting exclusives day and date is nice, but that doesnt negate exclusives coming later.

Lots of people are spoiler conscious.

Even if I had PS Now and the games came 4 months later, I'd still buy many of the games at launch to play them quickly so I don't get spoiled. (obviously, for the 2-3 select games per year I really care about spoilers about. Others I don't mind as much.)

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
They are no longer the main revenue drivers and yes multiplayer games took over in a big way.

As I stated, I once had discussions with friends who said that multiplayer which at the time was only popular on PC would breakout on console.

And the whole streaming debate whether it will take off on consoles harkens me back to those convos
Sure they do make a lot of money without a doubt. Nothing is more laced with not-micro-anymore-transactions than multiplayer games. Which happens to be the only reason multiplayer games make more money, in game purchases.

To believe it has taken over single player in relevance is hyperbole. Single player is more relevant now in an age where multiplayer games innovate less and increase grind to keep players playing and paying.

Your anecdotal conversations don't make your point any more valid either. Recent sales figures of SP games speak for themselves.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing up Netflix to say that exclusive content is going away is absolutel hilarious.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018

Personal anecdote and all, but multiplayer games were not uncommon on the SNES. Prior to the original xbox and then the following generation, online multiplayer wasn't as big on consoles. Yet multiplayer games themselves have been around for a long time.

Also streaming runs into a huge issue which online multiplayer games don't. In the US ISPs are defacto monopolies that rarely compete with each other and are loathe to invest any money into the infrastructure to support streaming. You don't have to look very hard to see ISPs trying to get paid multiple times for the same action. Netflix themselves have had issues with throttling because IPSs some how are under the belief that when their paying customers request data from Netflix that means that the data Netflix sends is somehow stealing the ISPs' bandwidth and using their infrastructure without paying for it.

If we go from offline games to full on streaming the amount of data that has to go across the various networks is going to be an insane increase and ISPs will outright refuse to do anything about it unless the companies that offer the streaming are paying them extra to.

Also another thing to keep in mind is that not only will game streaming in mass be a huge increase in bandwidth used when compared to the current generation; unlike video streaming services latency is a real issue and means that they'll have to be even more aggressive with placing CDNs as close as physically possible to all their customers.

Edit: All this doesn't mean that streaming won't become bigger than it currently is, but stream only consumers may take quite a while to become the majority over traditional (disc or download). This also depends on the strength of the service offered. Also streaming services will definitely be even bigger on the exclusive to service path than even current consoles, because with streaming big publishers may want to start their own service (e.g. EA only service, Activision only service, ubisoft only service, etc). This mean entities like Sony and Microsoft would need exclusives to entice consumers to subscribe to them.

Last edited:

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If anything, exclusive content is going to be even more of a crucial differentiator between devices. First party will make or break a console.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I was told 3rd party exclusives were gonna be dead this gen then From made a game for Sony and then Disney went to them and we got Spider-Man so who knows.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That makes no sense? Especially using Netflix as an example since it has so much exclusive content.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's going to be a rude awakening for a lot of people who can't get out of the traditional "buy a console for the exclusives" mindset.

Somebody in a previous post mentioned ecosystem exclusives, and that's what will happen. There will be games exclusive to Microsoft xCloud and the XBox ecosystem - you can buy it and play it on a device you own (XBox, Windows 10 PC) or you can stream it to your tablet or phone or non-Windows 10 PC. Then there will probably be games exclusive to Amazon's streaming ecosystem, Google's, etc. It will be the same situation as we have with PC launchers now but in apps across all your devices.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
'Platform' and 'Console' exclusive will just be interchangeable terms... it's a small hop in language.

Quite a few 'PS4/Sony exclusives' are already streamable on PC from the cloud, and people still call them 'ps4 exclusives' or whatever. They're still identified as exclusive to that 'platform'.

Last edited:

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
With Microsoft, Google, Sony, Amazon, Verizon and many other companies taking an interest into the game streaming market, where do you think that leaves console exclusives? Is that idea pretty much dead nowadays? The idea of having exclusives tied to a particular device?

IMO I think its an outdated idea nowadays especially when lots of services like Netflix are platform agnostic. I also expect the whole gaming industry to aggressively consolidate as companies buy other studios, publishers to gain an advantage for their service.
The concept stays the same, you can't get Netflix Originals on other streaming services and vice versa. To get exclusives you're still gonna stay in the PSN/Xbox/Nintendo ecosystem, difference is that you'll be launching them from an app on your TV or phone.

In that regard, exclusives are gonna matter even more, since many will sub to only 1 streaming service.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's going to be a rude awakening for a lot of people who can't get out of the traditional "buy a console for the exclusives" mindset.

Somebody in a previous post mentioned ecosystem exclusives, and that's what will happen. There will be games exclusive to Microsoft xCloud and the XBox ecosystem - you can buy it and play it on a device you own (XBox, Windows 10 PC) or you can stream it to your tablet or phone or non-Windows 10 PC. Then there will probably be games exclusive to Amazon's streaming ecosystem, Google's, etc. It will be the same situation as we have with PC launchers now but in apps across all your devices.
Exactly. People need to get away from "console exclusive" entirely...it's like people saying "iPhone 6 exclusive"...when it's really just iOS exclusive. Like...the console isn't going to be the hub and the main attraction to games in the future. It will be...what it always should be...the games. Maybe it's me but I care for the content than the box that is running it.