• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 15, 2017
I had the fears of burn in. I even had permanent burn in on a cheap, shitty old Dell Plasma I mistakenly bought as my first 720P HDTV, but I only ever experienced temporary image retention on my Panasonic Plasma's. That experience gave me both some comfort that if i bought a good product I'd likely be okay and hesitation knowing I may have to put up with image retention again. The temporary image retention was mildly annoying, but certainly nothing that would have ever pushed me to accept the drawbacks of LCD instead, so similar to the story now, it was OLED or no new TV yet as I wasn't going to go LED. I can at least say that I have had no image retention whatsoever and that has been a nice change. No ragrets here unless actual burn in happens, but that really does sound like a lot of fuss over nothing from reading about it.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Would you even say it's worth dropping down in size in order to afford getting a Oled TV?

This one is tough but has a lot to do with what and where you're playing. I'm somewhat inclined to say no since I went from a 55 QLED to a 65 OLED....and the change in size was really noticeable for me. I never felt comfortable with the 55, but the 65 seems perfect. Then again, my living room isn't that large as is, so I imagine if I ever got a home, I'd probably want even bigger.

If you're perfectly fine with 55, go OLED no doubt. The motion clarity, inky blacks and overall picture quality makes gaming on a tv glorious. If you always felt you wanted to go bigger, than I'd wait until you could buy the 65 OLED (even before just going out and buying a 65 LED) if possible. I've seen 65 get as low as 1500-1600 which is 500-600 more than 55s lowest point, so its not too far of a stretch.

For me, I'd just save a bit longer and wait for a solid sale on the size I want. I usually keep TVs for a long time so I try to purchase something that fits my exact wants. I also think its worth noting that if the size difference is 65 to 77, that's a lot more in price with OLEDs, and I'd probably just settle on a top tier LED at that point lol.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Man we're STILL going on about burn in?
I had a Plasma for like 5-7 years with NO burn in issues, left it on a LOT.

Had an OLED for ~3 years, got burn-in already and the image retention is pretty bad... really bummed. Got this stupid line across my TV, who the fuck knows what its from and it only shows up during Redish/orange scenes/images.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Would you even say it's worth dropping down in size in order to afford getting a Oled TV?

This is my issue. My space can accommodate either a 65 or 70 inch TV and I REALLY want a bigger size if possible. But I'd rather have the OLED tech as I've owned a Panasonic Plasma for 10+ years and it still looks SO GOOD. I love it. But it's only a 46-inch. I wanted a bigger size the moment I brought it home ... haven't forgotten that lesson. Also, I'm moving the TV from eye level in the corner to above my fireplace. So I feel like a larger size will help me take in the screen without craning my neck as much. I sit about 10-11 feet back from the screen.

I had a Plasma for like 5-7 years with NO burn in issues, left it on a LOT.

Had an OLED for ~3 years, got burn-in already and the image retention is pretty bad... really bummed. Got this stupid line across my TV, who the fuck knows what its from and it only shows up during Redish/orange scenes/images.
Can we inquire about your brand?

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
This one is tough but has a lot to do with what and where you're playing. I'm somewhat inclined to say no since I went from a 55 QLED to a 65 OLED....and the change in size was really noticeable for me. I never felt comfortable with the 55, but the 65 seems perfect. Then again, my living room isn't that large as is, so I imagine if I ever got a home, I'd probably want even bigger.

If you're perfectly fine with 55, go OLED no doubt. The motion clarity, inky blacks and overall picture quality makes gaming on a tv glorious. If you always felt you wanted to go bigger, than I'd wait until you could buy the 65 OLED (even before just going out and buying a 65 LED) if possible. I've seen 65 get as low as 1500-1600 which is 500-600 more than 55s lowest point, so its not too far of a stretch.

For me, I'd just save a bit longer and wait for a solid sale on the size I want. I usually keep TVs for a long time so I try to purchase something that fits my exact wants. I also think its worth noting that if the size difference is 65 to 77, that's a lot more in price with OLEDs, and I'd probably just settle on a top tier LED at that point lol.
Thanks for the reply. it's a lot to think about. I would say my dilemma is between a 65inch oled and a 75inch led from about a 8 - 9ft viewing distance.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man we're STILL going on about burn in?
Former Panasonic VT60 owner here. I had the Destiny Super Meter burned into the bottom left of my screen for over a year after stopping play of it. Also had other constant IR scares like the CNN logo and such that made me very weary of leaving anything on screen for too long. I've now had an E9 OLED for over a year and have not had a single IR incident. My mom has a C8 in her living room, doesn't even know a thing about OLED burn-in and hers has been fine now for a few years.

Last edited:

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for the reply. it's a lot to think about. I would say my dilemma is between a 65inch oled and a 75inch led from about a 8 - 9ft viewing distance.

No prob! Yeah the 65 to 77 OLED is a much tougher jump. I've contemplated just getting a 77 inch LED for the living room when I get a house and saving my OLED for my eventual game room.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Former Panasonic VT60 owner here. I had the Destiny Super Meter burned into the bottom left of my screen for over a year after stopping play of it. Also had other constant IR scares like the CNN logo and such that made me very weary of leaving anything on screen for too long. I've now had an E9 OLED for over a year and have not had a single IR incident. My mom has a C8 in her living room, doesn't even know a thing about OLED burn-in and hers has been fine now for a few years.
Nice. I've never given a thought to burn in on my Panasonic Plasma in 10+ years after those first few weeks. I've seen some mild IR that went away easily with the scroll bar. Newer OLEDs seem solid. I won't be detered!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's usually the 2–3 year mark where problems start to appear on OLEDs, and I suspect that panel changes on the 9/X series may have extended that further (perhaps another year).
If burn-in was not an issue for OLED, they wouldn't still be using things like screen orbiting or vignetting the image in game mode - or a WRGB panel design.
And they wouldn't need that unwritten policy of a free one-time panel replacement.

There are plenty of anecdotes from people saying that they never experienced burn-in on their Plasma TVs as well, but I have experience of both Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas burning.
My first Pioneer Kuro developed a minor but permanent burn on the very first day of use, after a couple of hours of playing Bioshock at less than 1/3 brightness.

Whether the potential risk of burn-in means it's still worth buying an OLED for its superior image quality is up to the buyer to decide.
People should not be saying that it doesn't/can't happen any more though. It still does.
As much as I would prefer to not have another LCD again, if Samsung had announced a ≤50" 8K LCD this year, I would probably be leaning towards one of those instead of an OLED.
I suspect that OLED is going to end up like Plasma and struggle to move beyond 4K (1080p for the Plasma) - especially at smaller sizes.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Mini-LED seems to be promising if you've completely ruled out OLED. Outside of that it seems like OLED still hails from what I've been seeing and hearing.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of all this tech, if you're a gamer, CRTs will always be king.

I used to be like this until a week ago when I had to figure out how to both physically move and then recycle a 35" CRT. Taking it down 3 steps and onto a rolling cart was the hardest thing I've ever done and I had just moved a piano the day before.

They're rad and I love my very tiny Sony studio monitor for old games, but I'd never buy another CRT.

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
No specific models to recommend, but I've been burnt by the Sony X900H so my suggestion would be to:

1. Check reviews and ongoing video updates by companies like HDTVTest
2. Wait for promised firmware updates to be released before purchasing
3. Read user feedback especially after the firmware updates have been released to see if the implementation of the new features is satisfactory

As of this post, my Sony X900H is still missing VRR and ALLM, and any 120HZ signal is blurry so be VERY wary of next year's Sonys.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be like this until a week ago when I had to figure out how to both physically move and then recycle a 35" CRT. Taking it down 3 steps and onto a rolling cart was the hardest thing I've ever done and I had just moved a piano the day before.

They're rad and I love my very tiny Sony studio monitor for old games, but I'd never buy another CRT.
CRT televisions are only useful for retro gaming.
PC CRT monitors (not production/broadcast video monitors) are still amazing for modern games, and have many desirable qualities that flat panel displays lack.
I wish they were still in production, even at lower volumes, so that I could still be using one. There's practically nothing available on the used market any more - and nothing good.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Doesn't the LG CX have issues with VRR enabled and blacks appearing more gray, or was that fixed?

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
No specific models to recommend, but I've been burnt by the Sony X900H so my suggestion would be to:

1. Check reviews and ongoing video updates by companies like HDTVTest
2. Wait for promised firmware updates to be released before purchasing
3. Read user feedback especially after the firmware updates have been released to see if the implementation of the new features is satisfactory

As of this post, my Sony X900H is still missing VRR and ALLM, and any 120HZ signal is blurry so be VERY wary of next year's Sonys.

Very much this.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Since the 7 series, LG has increased the red sub pixel size to combat burn in (2018 models and newer). I'm not saying burn in is not possible. People who watch CNN all day long, every single day, definitely increase their chances of burn in, and should probably consider a LCD tv. And according to the rting test results it would take someone a few thousand hours of watching CNN to get burn in (tested 7 series). B6 models got logo burn in around 500 hours, C7 was around 3000 hours, so oled panels from 2018 and onward, burn in protection should be much better. Is it still possible to burn them in (technically burn out), sure I guess, but for the majority of people, gamers included it's a non issue at this point.

I've personally seen 2 Vizio lcd's experience led's burn out in a few zones, resulting in the tv having to be trashed, 3-4 year old sets. My 75" Sony 850D LCD began to develop white spots on the screen, an issue between panel layers. I've had 2 Pioneer plasmas for over 10 years now, heavily gamed on them, no burn in. I have 1500 hours on my B7, no burn in, and I run slides periodically out of curiosity. FYI, I run my B7 at OLED light 35 for SDR content, which is around 135 nits, which is still higher than the SMPTE standard. If that's still not bright enough for someone, OLED light of 66 is 200 nits for SDR content. If you're viewing SDR content higher than 200 nits just buy a cheap LCD, OLED's contrast benefits don't matter and you're probably cranking brightness to combat a bright room environment.

Anyways, my point is burn in is always blown out of proportion. But if it worries people enough, just get a LCD, it's not a big deal, and those sets can have their own issues.
It's probably also luck of the draw, but I certainly don't think it helps the 7 series was supposedly known for having some issues.

I'll eventually get a replacement panel (LG aren't replacing them for free in the UK, although I'll try and find a way), but what is the likelihood it'll be a newer panel with the bigger red sub pixels? I'm assuming such a thing isn't likely, but maybe I'm wrong!

Mini-LED seems to be promising if you've completely ruled out OLED. Outside of that it seems like OLED still hails from what I've been seeing and hearing.
Mini LED seems decent, but MicroLED is the leading tech for displays going forwards.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
It's probably also luck of the draw, but I certainly don't think it helps the 7 series was supposedly known for having some issues.

I'll eventually get a replacement panel (LG aren't replacing them for free in the UK, although I'll try and find a way), but what is the likelihood it'll be a newer panel with the bigger red sub pixels? I'm assuming such a thing isn't likely, but maybe I'm wrong!

My understanding is that panel replacements are the newer panels, based on what was happening to owners with the 3D OLED's (2016 models). When they were offered a replacement panel, they were offered newer panels that could not do 3D.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Damn - wish I had waited another year for VRR to get more traction, got a decent Philips Ambilight, but its HDR is lacking.

I have an ancient 480p Panny Plasma I recently bought for older consoles with a Retrotink and I'm blown away by the PQ despite the low res, no burn in which I'm shocked by. This models from 2004 and had a previous owner who used it often.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, I got a CRT (32" Trinitron woo) from a driveway for free four and a half years ago for my retro consoles, and I am not looking forward to moving it from a basement to my condo once it finishes construction.

I'm hoping that maybe by September when I start doing some research on TVs micro/miniLED tech might be a little more promising or at least have more info to dictate my decision on whether I go that route or OLED. Would a CX still be the best recommendation otherwise if I only game on a Switch and don't really intend to get a next gen console until their Pro revision?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping that maybe by September when I start doing some research on TVs micro/miniLED tech might be a little more promising or at least have more info to dictate my decision on whether I go that route or OLED. Would a CX still be the best recommendation otherwise if I only game on a Switch and don't really intend to get a next gen console until their Pro revision?
Mini LED is just another evolution of LCD.
Instead of a few hundred backlight dimming zones, it allows for a few thousand - which can improve contrast and reduce blooming/haloing.
It does nothing for response times, viewing angles, or all the other issues of LCD.

Micro LED (µLED) is essentially an inorganic competitor to OLED (Organic LED).
But I would not expect smaller/affordable µLED displays for at least 5–10 years, unless there's a sudden breakthrough in their production.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. mine burned in after a year and a half - god damned Sky News ticker.

People are only considering burn in from games but in my house there would be a lot of viewing of kids shows and CNN in the daytime. I would hate to see the red CNN logo burned into the screen.

I'm looking at replacing my 10 year old Sony 1080p LCD TV this year with a new 4K tv and OLED does not seem worth the risks.

Oct 29, 2017
Still feels like buying a "next gen ready" TV right now is a fools errand.

Wait for the dust to settle with HDMI 2.1. Especially if you also have a proper home theatre system that you need to pair it with. Too many incompatibilty issues for it to be worth buying a new TV or AV Receiver right now.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
My understanding is that panel replacements are the newer panels, based on what was happening to owners with the 3D OLED's (2016 models). When they were offered a replacement panel, they were offered newer panels that could not do 3D.
I hope you're right! It would be nice getting a more up to date panel.

I'm not in any major rush thanks to the pandemic, but it's certainly something I'd look at getting fixed later on in the year.