• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Best non-oled option is going to be one of the newly announced HDMI 2.1 monitors. They range from 27 inch ($899) all the way to 43 inch (no price yet).

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
what are the chances lg cx will be updated this year or something?
would feel bad if i buy it this year and something better immediately pops up :<

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They've already announced the LG C1. It will be brighter than the CX, but who knows what that'll cost.

The panels between the CX and C1 are pretty much the same. The only difference seems to be some updated speakers and the new UI elements which no one is sure if they'll be brought back to the CX. Oh and the 83 inch option. The G1 series will use the new Evo panels that have a higher peak brightness.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
I can't find the LG CX ANYWHERE in Mexico. Even Amazon has been out of stock for months. So I'm praying the C1 is better or at least equal to the CX in every aspect, and that the price is accessible.

At least my B6 still works like a charm, thank goodness.

I bought one two weeks ago and it had just been imported from Mexico

A 55" C9 is $2700. The sad reality of living in latin america. Even the budget TVs are expensive, I wanted to buy a 50" TCL 6 series and that TV would cost me like $1100.

I'm from Uruguay and my CX was USD 2800

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
That sports game example is a bit extreme, but what if you play Souls games that have a prominent health bar, stamina bar and items on screen at all times. Would that cause burn in? Or would you literally have to play that game 10+ hours a day? What if you played it 3 hours a day? Would that be enough to cause burn in.

I've seen OLEDs and their picture quality is incredible, but the risk of burn in is what has kept me away until now.
Burn in is a cumulative process rather than an isolated event. If you play 40 hours of something, it does not matter how you spread that play over time - you will have put 40 hours of wear on to the pixels.

I'm very interested to see what this 42" OLED is, and if anyone else makes a high spec 40-43" TV of any sort!

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
LG charge in the Uk to replace an oled panel.
Still? That sucks. I regurlarly work with them and they do it for free here in The Netherlands, also in other European countries according to the reps I spoke to, although I myself cannot confirm if they're correct. I heard some positive stories from Belgian and French customers though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Samsung's Mini LED TVs could turn out to be decent and possibly the best LCD sets, but we'll have to wait for reviews obviously.
I'd always avoid the first generation of new TV tech. The first few years of OLEDs (pre-6 series) were woeful with off-angle green tint, vignetting, near-black banding, pink splodges and all kinds of uniformity issues. I know, I owned them. The 6 series (eg C6) was when things finally turned around and OLEDs hit a home run. But I've no doubt Micro LED will be the same the first few years, great on paper but with a ton of niggles. And Samsung has a bad reputation for uniformity on their panels as it is.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Am I missing something? Isn't burn in a risk of OLEDs?
It has been in the past, the 6 series seemed to be prone. But they've made improvements since then. I've played >250 hours of Rocket League on my C9 and not a hint of burn in even with test slides.

Compare that to my old Panny plasma, where I got burn in from playing 20 hours of Peggle. Different league.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are Panasonic releasing TVs to the United States again?
giphy.gif

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
That sports game example is a bit extreme, but what if you play Souls games that have a prominent health bar, stamina bar and items on screen at all times. Would that cause burn in? Or would you literally have to play that game 10+ hours a day? What if you played it 3 hours a day? Would that be enough to cause burn in.

I've seen OLEDs and their picture quality is incredible, but the risk of burn in is what has kept me away until now.
It's a cumulative issue with OLEDs. If you played a game for 3 hours across 3 days, it's essentially the same as playing it for 3 hours straight. Ultimately I think the issue comes down to how long you expect to own the TV, and if you're consistently playing the same handful of games or types of games over and over. Most people tend to own TVs for a while, 5 years or more. You're not going to see burn in during the early years, barring a bad panel or very abusive use, but you might see it down the line depending on how you use it. It's not something to worry about as it was with Plasma TVs, or OLEDs from several years ago, but I don't think the attitude some folks have about it being "solved" is quite right either. These are expensive TVs, some folks are comfortable knowing that they wouldn't mind replacing it in a few years if things go awry, whereas others might not be.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will def go with one of the new high end mini led tvs, probably from samsung

i wont even consider oled for my main big tv - with children that game the same a games a LOT, burn in is pretty much a guarantee for me

Dont want a family tv i have to maintain (pixel refresh etc) and restrict how others in the family use it

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
It's a cumulative issue with OLEDs. If you played a game for 3 hours across 3 days, it's essentially the same as playing it for 3 hours straight. Ultimately I think the issue comes down to how long you expect to own the TV, and if you're consistently playing the same handful of games or types of games over and over. Most people tend to own TVs for a while, 5 years or more. You're not going to see burn in during the early years, barring a bad panel or very abusive use, but you might see it down the line depending on how you use it. It's not something to worry about as it was with Plasma TVs, or OLEDs from several years ago, but I don't think the attitude some folks have about it being "solved" is quite right either. These are expensive TVs, some folks are comfortable knowing that they wouldn't mind replacing it in a few years if things go awry, whereas others might not be.

This is my main issue with OLEDs, since I play Souls-likes a lot, and have spent thousands of hours with Let It Die, which looks like this:

xNvX0NY.png

I really don't want to worry about it, especially as I'll probably be using the display for a decade, like the current one. It's a long-time investment to me, and I don't expect to be replacing it until the next paradigm shift arrives. I gather, that MicroLEDs becoming affordable (as in <1000€ for 55") will take several years.

The new X90J Bravia looks like a good choice to me with its full HDMI 2.1 support, and having the same features as the high end models.

AUtrdwy.jpg

I've also read, that Bravias give better color accuracy out of the box, and don't necessarily require calibration like LG displays. Plus, they apparently have a better motion interpolation and black frame insertion, and a bit more natural tone mapping as well. LEDs don't have the banding issues of OLEDs either. Given all that, the better blacks, wider viewing angles, and possibly a bit lower input lag of OLEDs seem like a minor tradeoff to me.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously considering LG G1 depending on how much brighter it is than C1. I'm guessing it'll have better gaming stuff than sony and panasonic and still be cheaper.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of having to compromise like you do with the 1080p monitor, after having purchased a goddamn expensive TV? If i'm going to buy a premium ~$2k OLED TV(your plasma was probably expensive too) it better offer me everything I bought it for.

Guess it just depends on why you're wanting to buy a TV in the first place. Exclusively gaming? Mostly show/movie viewing while also gaming? If I was only exclusively gaming on mine, I might have considered something else, but when at least 75% of its use goes towards viewing, it was a no-brainer for me. None of the other panel types can compare yet. Also, using a 1080p TV isn't because I'm worried about the OLED. It's that 1080p video game content still looks comparatively like shit at a 4K resolution compared to being on a native resolution screen. Same goes for 720p.

Seriously considering LG G1 depending on how much brighter it is than C1. I'm guessing it'll have better gaming stuff than sony and panasonic and still be cheaper.

I was considering the G1 until I recently found out that it's only wall mountable, or you have to use that ridiculously tacky "gallery" stand, so it's now not an option.

Last edited:

Vasto

May 26, 2019
Been waiting years for Real Mini LED and it is finally here from LG and Samsung. Samsung will be the only TV brand offering 12 bit color, Adaptive HDR10+ and AMD Free Sync pro in Mini LED so my eyes on are them first. LG's QNED Mini LED are also looking good too and even Hisense has Mini LED now. TCL's mini led has taken the next step with its OD Zero tech and 8K. Skipped over OLED for Mini LED and now they are finally here.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
The LG G1 gen 2 OLED panel is said to be 20% efficient in terms of brightness and color volume.
Sony's Master Series A90J is using the LG panel with a heat sink so it's the same as the Panasonic HZ2000 panel. Both new TVs for the first time should hit close to 1000 nits. They will be the most expensive OLEDs as well.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The LG G1 gen 2 OLED panel is said to be 20% efficient in terms of brightness and color volume.
Sony's Master Series A90J is using the LG panel with a heat sink so it's the same as the Panasonic HZ2000 panel. Both new TVs for the first time should hit close to 1000 nits.
Most lowly they will be the most expensive OLEDs as well.
What we need to see with these next ones is an improvement in colour volume , the current panels can only get to about 550nits in RGB- the Whitt sub pixel is the one that carried to them 1000nits, but is obviously monochrome. It's this colour difference you see between a good LCD display and an OLED quite easily

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I got LG CX a month ago and after I've seen CES2021 TVs I don't regret it at all. It's still one of the best choices right now (if burn in possibility isn't an issue for you)

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting years for Real Mini LED and it is finally here from LG and Samsung. Samsung will be the only TV brand offering 12 bit color, Adaptive HDR10+ and AMD Free Sync pro in Mini LED so my eyes on are them first. LG's QNED Mini LED are also looking good too and even Hisense has Mini LED now. TCL's mini led has taken the next step with its OD Zero tech and 8K. Skipped over OLED for Mini LED and now they are finally here.

MiniLED is not a replacement for OLED and has all the tradeoffs of an LED, just with the addition of more dimming zones than anything. The big one everyone was waiting for was MicroLED, which seems to still have no path to consumer sets right now, which is why Samsung is now looking at OLED themselves.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I know a lot of people will suggest the CX, but the possibility of image retention/burn-in makes it a no go for me. I'm speaking about traditional lcd sets.

I held off upgrading my tv this year due to various downsides of different sets. It seemed like 2021 would be the year where some sets would emerge with no major drawbacks and can take full advantage of PS5 and XSX's features. Has there been any announced tv's so far that fit the bill?
Honestly, while oleds exist, and have significantly better blacks, it's hard to recommend any LCD/led panel.

I saw some marketing blurb for an inorganic self immisve led set but not seen any deets yet to confirm that it's oled but better.

Honestly screen burn isn't an issue, but if you worry about it, you worry about it, so it's a personal thing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think you're getting confused between Mini LED and Micro LED.

Mini LED is just LCD with some more lipstick, basically smaller local dimming zones for less haloing. OLED is still going to provide superior picture quality.

You're thinking of Micro LED, of which Samsung has announced is coming (exclusively from them) this year but will be in a completely different price league and likely only in large (88"+) variants.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Honestly, while oleds exist, and have significantly better blacks, it's hard to recommend any LCD/led panel.

I saw some marketing blurb for an inorganic self immisve led set but not seen any deets yet to confirm that it's oled but better.

Honestly screen burn isn't an issue, but if you worry about it, you worry about it, so it's a personal thing.

The inky blacks of OLEDs sure look nice in store display demos, but how often will you encounter the same in actual movies, series, and games?

It seems to me the tradeoffs (detailed in my previous post) for better blacks just aren't worth it. Not to mention, that LGs apparently don't behave as well as Bravias with PS consoles, when it comes to HDMI-CEC.

Eiji

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget the CX has fluctuating gamma with VRR which can't be fixed as it's a hardware problem:

Hopefully this will be fixed in LGs 2021 OLEDs.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The good news is that Sony and Panasonic OLEDs will now support HDMI 2.1, and Sony are switching to display-led Dolby vision rather than player-led.
Unfortunately though, Panasonic are still only releasing OLEDs in 55″/65″ sizes, and the high-end ones have a non-removable Atmos sound bar built in.
Sony are adding an 83″ model, but have not announced an updated 48″ model with HDMI 2.1 support.
LG Display's bendable 48″ OLED prototype remains just that. LG Electronics have not announced a TV with that feature.

And neither company has the same warranty support as LG.
It's in LG's interests to replace the panel if it burns, to avoid tanking their OLED panels' reputation. Sony/Panasonic will not.
I'm always cautious when people continually post things like: "X company's support is so good!" though, because I'd rather have a product which does not require me to contact customer support at all.

I was hoping for smaller 8K TVs from Samsung, but it looks like they may have actually dropped 8K support at 55″ this year.
4K at 48″ is only 92 pixels per inch, which is quite a low pixel density for a computer monitor. Even the new 43″ OLED panel (not a TV) would only be 103 PPI.

why would you get it over the LG
Sony and Panasonic have better image quality than LG.
Panasonic have the best, with them having eliminated the near-black posterization present to varying degrees on all other OLEDs.
But Sony have the best color, motion, and detail enhancements for lower-quality sources. They do the best job of removing compression artifacts like color banding.

Aren't all Sony OLEDs sourced from LG anyways?
That said I'd still go with Sony due to their image processing and native GoogleTV
The panels are. Everything which makes it a television, including important aspects of image quality, is developed by Sony.
LG Electronics operate the same way too - they buy the OLED panels from LG Display and then produce the television themselves.

It's a risk on basically all modern displays, the issue is realistically what you're going to run into and how that varies on the type of display. But also because that's such the perception, there's plenty of analyses you can look up on YouTube about how extreme your viewing habits would have to be for there to be any noticeable burn in. Are you the type to play something like a sports game where there's an opaque static graphic on the screen for 20 hours every single day for a year straight? Avoid an OLED I guess.
It's only a risk for OLED.
LCD displays 'reset' any wear when you switch them off and the crystals return to their rest state.
Technically, locally-dimmed backlights could show uneven wear, but I've had one for over 10 years with no signs of that. The inorganic LEDs used for backlights are significantly more resilient than OLED.

The C9/CX are too new to say whether they will have long-term burn-in problems.
People say the panels are improved, but that might only buy another 12 months before they start looking like the older panels do.

With Samsung Electronics all in on microled and Samsung Display making quantam dot OLEDs, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Samsung Electronics is desperately trying to avoid using OLED panels while the Display division is in the process of making OLEDs that would be brighter than anything LG can currently do with no burn in since it's just a blue OLED panel with a QD sheet on top.
Blue OLED material has the shortest lifespan of all of them - especially when they are intending on having blue be a pass-through rather than using a blue QD color filter, which means shorter-life materials than other blues (this is why LG uses a cyan material).
It is far from a given that they will have "no burn in".

LG has been replacing panels with burn in for a while now in many territories. The burn in scare should belong to the past.
A one-time courtesy replacement for displays which are only 2–3 years old, in some regions.
It's not officially written in the warrant conditions, and I intend on keeping my TV for longer than 6 years (it's not like the replaced panels won't also burn).
I can buy a third-party warranty to cover it, but that's an additional expense and only lasts five years.

On the one-hand, it is tempting to just buy an OLED for the superior image quality, and get it replaced if it burns within that warranty period.
Even with screen burn, it would arguably look better than most LCD displays if you can overlook it.
On the other-hand, I'd rather not deal with/think about it, as much as I'd prefer to not get another LCD - especially not a VA-type LCD.

I think you are confusing mini LED with micro LED.
Mini LED displays are LCDs with mini LED backlighting (more dimming zones). They are not self-emissive micro LED displays (competitor to OLED).

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Is there anyone here who is very happy with BX?
I would like to get a somewhat future-proof LG TV (at least something with HDMI 2.1), but CX is a bit too rich for my blood (and also as my first OLED I'm a bit concerned about burn in and want to test the OLED waters with something less a little expensive).

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Is there anyone here who is very happy with BX?
Very!

Grabbed a BX9 with 55 inch for 1095 EUR on a sale two weeks ago. Coming from a backlight 4k LED with 60Hz and a cheap panel that cost 550EUR three years ago, it is a major improvement. Perfect image homogeneity with no visible veil or uneven colours (that were mostly visible on one-colour images, like home screens, dashboards, etc.), popping contrasts and colours (that can be easily dialed back if you find the default settings too strong), lots and lots of options.

VRR works on my computer (if I work around the restrictions of my 2070's HDMI 2.0) without any flickering or shifts in gamma that were reported (on the CX I think?). Viewing angle stability is great and the input delay is, IIRC, around 12ms (game mode). So even playing fast games feels almost like playing on my 144Hz TN panel.

Only negative I have so far that it could be too dark for VERY bright rooms (but so is the CX) and that the OLED brightness is somewhat regulated automatically depending on the scene (to avoid burn-in, I think). I notice it from time to time in games that have more static scenes but even more in PC/desktop usage because the image doesn't change much when not playing a game or watching a movie, so the shift in (auto) brightness is very apparent.

I've read that the BX's processor is an older one than in the CX but I'm not sure if a better processor in a TV is worth the extra hundreds of EUR especially when most processor-depending things are disabled in game mode anyways. At least that was the argument in a review I've read and because I mainly play on the TV I had no doubts.

Features, image quality and size for the price I've paid was well worth the upgrade.

Also, apparently there are some features to delay/avoid burn-in. I'm not too tech savvy so only paraphrase what I've read, but the TV shifts the image ever so slightly you wouldn't notice and there is an automatic pixel refresher (also a manual one). Not sure if it's a placebo in the end or does help, but right now I'm enjoying it way more and than worrying about burn-in.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo Oled is the only viable tech atm, why buy a device that only/ primarily serves as a picture displaying device and skimp on picture quality? Makes no sense to me.

Atm there is no Oled on the market that has Hdmi 2.1 without hard or software bugs surrounding it, CX with its VRR black levels etc.

So I'll hopefully get a 2021 Sony oled this year, if they have all Hdmi 2.1 kinks ironed out. LG choose to display ads in their 2021 menu, can't support that. The wait for a new TV could finally be over.

I rode my full hd pana plasma for over a decade, my next set has to accomplish the same.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Very!

Grabbed a BX9 with 55 inch for 1095 EUR on a sale two weeks ago. Coming from a backlight 4k LED with 60Hz and a cheap panel that cost 550EUR three years ago, it is a major improvement. Perfect image homogeneity with no visible veil or uneven colours (that were mostly visible on one-colour images, like home screens, dashboards, etc.), popping contrasts and colours (that can be easily dialed back if you find the default settings too strong), lots and lots of options.

VRR works on my computer (if I work around the restrictions of my 2070's HDMI 2.0) without any flickering or shifts in gamma that were reported (on the CX I think?). Viewing angle stability is great and the input delay is, IIRC, around 12ms (game mode). So even playing fast games feels almost like playing on my 144Hz TN panel.

Only negative I have so far that it could be too dark for VERY bright rooms (but so is the CX) and that the OLED brightness is somewhat regulated automatically depending on the scene (to avoid burn-in, I think). I notice it from time to time in games that have more static scenes but even more in PC/desktop usage because the image doesn't change much when not playing a game or watching a movie, so the shift in (auto) brightness is very apparent.

I've read that the BX's processor is an older one than in the CX but I'm not sure if a better processor in a TV is worth the extra hundreds of EUR especially when most processor-depending things are disabled in game mode anyways. At least that was the argument in a review I've read and because I mainly play on the TV I had no doubts.

Features, image quality and size for the price I've paid was well worth the upgrade.

Also, apparently there are some features to delay/avoid burn-in. I'm not too tech savvy so only paraphrase what I've read, but the TV shifts the image ever so slightly you wouldn't notice and there is an automatic pixel refresher (also a manual one). Not sure if it's a placebo in the end or does help, but right now I'm enjoying it way more and than worrying about burn-in.

Thanks, this is very helpful :)

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I was fortunate to have a bit of spare cash after the PS5 launched and went with the CX. As someone that's only ever had LCD I was wary of image retention as you read stories and reviews about the possibility. The closer I got to buying it the more I decided to analyse my gaming habits, especially over the past generation or two.

I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be an issue based on how modern gaming has changed.
It's vary rare that you will have a game with a static image for a long time, especially with cutscenes, pause menus, jumping in and out of the os. Game/Ap switching such as firing up YouTube for 10 minutes here and there are things I naturally due during a session. I'm no longer worried about image retention let alone actual burn in.

The CX also has a few options to help mitigate any issues too. If it detects logos or hud elements that could cause issues it will pixel shift them ever so slightly. I don't know if my CX has ever done the switch. if it has I've never noticed it.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be keeping my eye out for a good 42" to use as a third monitor and for console gaming.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
LG charge in the Uk to replace an oled panel.
It's certainly ridiculous that they're not when they are in other countries.

I inherited my dads B7, and whilst the burn-in isn't too bad it does frustrate me seeing it so I want to get the panel replaced someday.

Supposedly they do repair the panels for free for some people though in the UK, so I imagine it's just luck. I may try and go through Facebook/Twitter instead.

Yep.

Burn-in is an issue still and people are far too quick to dismiss it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be an issue based on how modern gaming has changed.
It's vary rare that you will have a game with a static image for a long time, especially with cutscenes, pause menus, jumping in and out of the os. Game/Ap switching such as firing up YouTube for 10 minutes here and there are things I naturally due during a session. I'm no longer worried about image retention let alone actual burn in.
You are misunderstanding oled burn-in risks. It doesn't matter about "static image". That is from the old plasma days. If you rack up a thousand hours of Destiny, no matter how many times you play a different game, youtube video or switch to the OS - the panel wear on an oled is equivalent to if you had shown nothing but that glowing yellow full super meter for 1,000 hours straight.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I was fortunate to have a bit of spare cash after the PS5 launched and went with the CX. As someone that's only ever had LCD I was wary of image retention as you read stories and reviews about the possibility. The closer I got to buying it the more I decided to analyse my gaming habits, especially over the past generation or two.

The CX also has a few options to help mitigate any issues too. If it detects logos or hud elements that could cause issues it will pixel shift them ever so slightly. I don't know if my CX has ever done the switch. if it has I've never noticed it.
That's not how burn in works. It's cumulative, like mercury poisoning.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The main difference is that there will be more color banding/posterization in gradients, especially near black.
This can make the compression artifacts from streaming video sources a lot more noticeable, and you may see flashes of brighter color in dark scenes.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Imo Oled is the only viable tech atm, why buy a device that only/ primarily serves as a picture displaying device and skimp on picture quality? Makes no sense to me.

Atm there is no Oled on the market that has Hdmi 2.1 without hard or software bugs surrounding it, CX with its VRR black levels etc.

So I'll hopefully get a 2021 Sony oled this year, if they have all Hdmi 2.1 kinks ironed out. LG choose to display ads in their 2021 menu, can't support that. The wait for a new TV could finally be over.

I rode my full hd pana plasma for over a decade, my next set has to accomplish the same.

This is pretty much the same boat I was in.

After a little over a decade of enjoying my Pioneer plasma, there's just no way I could sacrifice on anything picture quality related when making the jump to 4K.

Even though my plasma suffered from burn in and likely had a more degraded picture compared to the best LCD you could've gotten in 2009, I still enjoyed the best, reasonably attainable 1080p image you could get for the 1000's and 1000's of hours of content I watched on it. The PQ regularly impressed me to this day.

But more simply put,

The satisfaction of knowing I'm getting the best image out of a device that's sole use to me is to view images on, greatly outweighs the satisfaction I'd have of knowing my device may degrade less overtime, but will always deliver a compromised image.

So I finally got a CX last year and could not be happier with my decision.

I know I'll be getting the same amount of enjoyment out of the CX that I did with my plasma + the vast improvements in burn in prevention features these TV's have compared to those old plasmas.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
Any oleds monitor sized worth getting for next gen consoles? I'm going to get a new pc/desk set up and want to go dual monitor. One for my pc and one next to it for my ps5/series x.