• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
2 cm too wide...
I have exactly 120cm and i've been checking 55 inches hoping when bezels disappear i would somehow be able to fit one in there, but the truth is, even with no bezels at all, 55" 16:9 is still ever so slightly wider than 120. Not fair.
Damn. I was hoping it would work out.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
After having a plasma with image retention issues, I swore off getting any sets that make me sweat while I'm using it. Especially something that costs north of $2k in Canada.

I'm in the same boat. OLED is a hard no for me. I'm happy with the LCD I have, but I imagine I'll upgrade in a couple of years.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, it'll certainly be interesting to see if it'll be worth the premium.

Personally, I'm waiting to see how Samsung prices the 88 inch microled that's supposed to release this year so we can gauge how far out microled is from being consumer friendly in terms of price because the 110 inch is $160k lol
I can't see it being less than 100k.

Micro-LED is still far out of range of reasonable pricing/sizing for us plebs. I can't see it being less than 10 years before we are talking about it in the same pricing brackets we talk about the LG OLEDs for example. I would absolutely LOVE to be wrong on it though because that would be perfect.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I haven't seen anything big in the news as far as TVs go this CES.

I know people were holding out just in case, but I think it's safe to say the time to upgrade is now. Assuming you want to upgrade, no point in waiting around anymore.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see it being less than 100k.

Micro-OLED is still far out of range of reasonable pricing/sizing for us plebs. I can't see it being less than 10 years before we are talking about it in the same pricing brackets we talk about the LG OLEDs for example. I would absolutely LOVE to be wrong on it though because that would be perfect.

With Samsung Electronics all in on microled and Samsung Display making quantam dot OLEDs, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Samsung Electronics is desperately trying to avoid using OLED panels while the Display division is in the process of making OLEDs that would be brighter than anything LG can currently do with no burn in since it's just a blue OLED panel with a QD sheet on top.

Oct 27, 2017
With Samsung Electronics all in on microled and Samsung Display making quantam dot OLEDs, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Samsung Electronics is desperately trying to avoid using OLED panels while the Display division is in the process of making OLEDs that would be brighter than anything LG can currently do with no burn in since it's just a blue OLED panel with a QD sheet on top.
Yeh I'm sure you're right and we are gonna get some great stuff in the meantime. I've decided not to hold my breath for Micro-LED though it just feels like one of those things that we'll be waiting forever and missing out on good stuff now. I figure I'll just get a good quality OLED in the mens time and by the time I'm ready to replace that then I can worry about mLED.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Im finally buying a neq TV this weekend after 7 years with a 55" LED 1080p screen xD

Thought for sure I was going to buy a CX 55" to enjoy the OLED and 2.1 HDMI

But after alot of comparisons in stoors etc. I will go with a Sony 75" X80 instead for same price in this market. Probably people in this thread think that is mindboggling but I value the size for the immersion, the screen is bright and colorful (what I like) and Im not in need for 120hz, will be few games pushing 4K, HDR, Ray tracing at 60 FPS which would be my ideal choice. Not have to worry about the risk of burn in. Guess Im missing out on VRR which sounds nice, but something I lived without my 20 years as a gamer and probably wont miss unless I try it... Lets see maybe change my mind again. Been also checking 65" LG nanoled 9 series for same cash, then I get the 2.1 HDMI (and Stadia app yay)

K1ng P3n

Dec 15, 2018
I'm just curious to see what everyone does with mini led this year. I have a TCL R635 that I love but it has a few problems that I think can/will be resolved this year. Don't know if it'll be TCL that will resolve the problems or one of the other 2 that are doing mini led this year.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No way I'm getting one of them new fangled hand telegrams with all the corona rays it will beam into me - person afraid of burn in.

I've had a 2018 C8 and gamed almost every day for 2.5 years with no burn in.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
CES happened? Damn, I totally missed it.

Were any interesting monitors shown off? I've been tooling around with the idea of skipping this console generation and building a PC and it seems like an exciting time for some hardware, like I've I've reading that the new AMD CPUs and the latest Nvidia graphics cards are both great. But it seems like a pretty bad time to buy a monitor. Few do 'real' HDR, many have very few backlight zones, etc.

If I were to buy one based on what I know right now I'd likely get the 38" Alienware ultra wide, but was anything better shown?

tmtyf

Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying burn in is not an issue but didn't we have people on this forum that had burn in on a newer lg oled set?

I know Visio's quantum tv was supposed to be good but not sure if the bigger version that had higher peak brightness came out yet.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I have a B7 with a BX panel screen. Is there any reason at all for me to upgrade if I don't mind having 120fps. I am okay with 4k 60. Brightness is good enough. Is there any reason to look at the 2021 sets? Is it just the 120fps hdmi mainly or are folks really into this "MicroLED" idea? What does that actually improve visually compared to a BX panel.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
That sports game example is a bit extreme, but what if you play Souls games that have a prominent health bar, stamina bar and items on screen at all times. Would that cause burn in? Or would you literally have to play that game 10+ hours a day? What if you played it 3 hours a day? Would that be enough to cause burn in.

I've seen OLEDs and their picture quality is incredible, but the risk of burn in is what has kept me away until now.

I've played thousands of hours of Soulsborne games on my 2016 OLED and have no burn-in. You have to have some truly extreme viewing habits to be at risk.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
LG CX is the best you can buy right now. The C1 might be marginally better on some performance tests (maybe 48Gbps bandwidth, maybe DTS passthrough but probably not).

It will be months before you can get a C1, and the CX will be cheaper. Then eventually the CX will be out of stock in some size, then the C1 will drop in price a lot in October-November.
This the way

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
TCL was touting their mini LED line-up at CES. They tend to be more budget-friendly and offer gaming features like ALLM, VRR, and 120 Hz. Mini LED should help to close the gap (at least a little) between OLED and backlit LED panels. You still won't get quite the same contrast as an OLED panel, but burn-in is virtually impossible.
Ignore the marketing hype part, but this tech sounds pretty cool:
They've been promising VRR updates for older sets for the last 2 years running , have those materialised yet?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I haven't paid attention because any high quality TV is going to cost an arm and a leg here. I ain't paying $3500 for a 65 inch CX.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've learned never to count on manufacturers updating TV sets that have already sold, goes doubly for budget brands. They just don't care and can't justify the expense
speaking of this is sony finally getting their act together on VRR? i don't trust any manufacturer that says they are gonna update it in the future. i want this all working out of the box.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
All I wanted was for TCL to update this year's model to HDMI 2.1, but it sounds like they're going a different direction I guess?

The CX may be great, but I'm with the OP. I've heard of enough cases of burn-in and with many people recommending buying additional burn in protection I just can't dismiss it as only being a concern under "extreme" use cases.

I don't leave my TV running, but I'd bet with the cumulative number of hours I've spent with fighting games with fixed bars, MK's bright yellow ones especially, I would have had some level retention if I had an OLED.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
L
I am salivating at the thought of this 43" OLED. I really hope LG actually makes it in the near future, and that it doesn't demand a huge premium over the larger sizes.
They will be expensive , the smaller displays are more expensive to make , hopefully this is an indication they are on their new manufacturing process, so hopefully it won't be as bad as is has been. Even so , I'd imagine you are going to be sitting firmly in the premium price range for a Pc monitor. If you look at what is out there right now ; that is usually the similar price to a TV. I'd say anything under 1K would be a pleasant surprise - if they wanted to sell it for less than say the 48inch model I think we would have introduced it as a TV.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
LG C1 reportedly does't have the high-end "evo" panel that the CX had. For the high end panel you now have to spring for G series OLED. So it seems like CX is the best choice still, if you can find one anywhere. Or perhaps the C1 will have the exact same panel as CX, but G series will have an improved one - I'm not sure.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
They will be expensive , the smaller displays are more expensive to make , hopefully this is an indication they are on their new manufacturing process, so hopefully it won't be as bad as is has been. Even so , I'd imagine you are going to be sitting firmly in the premium price range for a Pc monitor. If you look at what is out there right now ; that is usually the similar price to a TV. I'd say anything under 1K would be a pleasant surprise - if they wanted to sell it for less than say the 48inch model I think we would have introduced it as a TV.
If they do introduce it as a premium monitor with a sky high price, I'll just look at the 48" C1 anyway. I was borderline on the 48" CX but the 1st-gen HDMI 2.1 issues made me hold off for the 2021 models.

While WFH has me dying for better options than my 17" laptop and ancient 1080p TV, I am in no rush to make a rash decision.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm a CX owner and I love it, but I get why OP wants to avoid it — I have certain product types that I'm probably going to permanently have a lifetime aversion to due to negative experiences too.

That said, generally speaking, I think 2021 or 2022 will still be kinda less-than-ideal years in terms of getting a TV at a more reasonable price and with no burn-in risk like OLED. LG has been pretty damn aggressive compared to the competition in trying to incorporate new features and I think it's currently paying off for them big-time. After CES, there's a lot of good stuff still coming but not sure it's down to the pricepoints where it can be mass-adopted, and I think it will still remain an early adopter phase both in terms of feature sets and pricepoints for another year or two.

I'm optimistic 2022 turns things around. 2021 still has some good stuff if you're willing to compromise here and there on features and interconnectivity with other devices, particularly with HDMI 2.1 spec, but I don't think you get an affordable, no-compromises, non-OLED until 2022 or 2023... And I think that will only happen if OLED sales start to bottom out and demand for non-OLED stuff becomes more vocal, because despite concerns I think most people are willing to look past the burn-in risk and just buy up in mass quantities and it's creating a sense of urgent demand for the manufacturers to start leaning that direction with their panel selection.