• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So anyone who's been paying attention to the past few weeks would be hard pressed to miss the sheer volume of sci-fi horror game announcements. Loads of games set on derelict space ships or abandoned planets featuring heavily body horror-inspired monsters as the primary combatants. Fans of sci-fi horror are eating well these days, as I'm sure basically anyone could agree.

But that begs the question: with all these examples of big-budget sci-fi horror practically piling on top of each other, what about some good examples of fantasy horror? There's so many more settings that could be used for horror games than abandoned spaceships or modern-day Earth, but it feels like the genre is kind of limited by a few cardinal inspirations - Lovecraft, The Thing, Alien/Aliens, Silent Hill, and zombie films - and that limits the kinds of settings and bestiaries we get to grapple with.

I would love to see a horror game set in, like, baroque-era Italy, or in a medieval German castle, with monsters based on folklore and myth instead of goopy body horror zombies or insane robots/killer AI. Or a full-on fantasy setting but with horror as the genre instead of straight RPG or action. Anyone else feeling a distinct lack of fantastical horror in the industry today? Would you be into games like this or is this another thing I'm alone on?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I agree. I think Eternal Darkness was also one of those games into the fantasy horror part ? I would be open for more fantasy horror games. And sci-fi horror is pretty apparent as seen with the last revelation of games.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Huh, the first thing that comes to mind is Nightmare Creatures back in the PS1 days...but yeah, old eras/fantasy horror is kind of lacking right now

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I think Eternal Darkness was also one of those games into the fantasy horror part ? I would be open for more fantasy horror games. And sci-fi horror is pretty apparent as seen with the last revelation of games.

Eternal Darkness is definitely on the borderline, for sure. As would something like Bloodborne, though both games lean heavily on Lovecraft as their driving inspiration.

So like re8 but if the whole game was in the manor

And with no guns. Actually setting-appropriate weaponry would go a long way towards pushing the fantasy horror conceit further.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Tormented Souls touched on the edges of that for me, but has some of the problems you mentioned.

I do know what you mean though. I was watching The Witch a while back and thought this would be an interesting horror game.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I think maybe the fantasy genre in general is a lot more geared toward power fantasy/wish fulfillment than horror is. I'm mainly approaching this from a reader's perspective, but the fanbases of the two genres don't seem to overlap at all. From everything I've seen, fantasy fans tend to be very averse to horror. As for myself, I don't generally like fantasy, but historical horror set on Earth is rad.

I found a lot of stuff in Elden Ring pretty horrific, for whatever that's worth.

Apr 3, 2020
Closet thing we have currently are Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne.

BB is the most game embraced the horror aspect, one of the reasons why it's masterpiece.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think maybe the fantasy genre in general is a lot more geared toward power fantasy/wish fulfillment than horror is. I'm mainly approaching this from a reader's perspective, but the fanbases of the two genres don't seem to overlap at all. From everything I've seen, fantasy fans tend to be very averse to horror. As for myself, I don't generally like fantasy, but historical horror set on Earth is rad.

I found a lot of stuff in Elden Ring pretty horrific, for whatever that's worth.

Given the extreme popularity of horror-themed D&D campaigns like Curse of Strahd, I would say I don't really agree with this. But gaming devs may see it that way because a lot of game devs aren't very good at genre mixing. From Software pulled it off with Bloodborne and to a lesser extent Elden Ring, but they're one of the few developers that seems to want to give it a shot.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While the examples you list are nice OP, please let us enjoy of the sci-fi fad for while.

I'm sick of medieval fantasy in video games, Zelda, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, Fable, Dark Souls, Dragon Age, every single J-RPG, Warhammer, Total War, Chivalry, every AA non-action RPG, most AA action RPG...

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I would also love to see a fantasy horror. Doesn't need to be an RPG or a survival horror either

The closest things I can think of are Plague Tale: Requiem and the new Hellblade game. Probably Hellblade would be closer to horror.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see a horror game set in, like, baroque-era Italy, or in a medieval German castle, with monsters based on folklore and myth instead of goopy body horror zombies or insane robots/killer AI. Or a full-on fantasy setting but with horror as the genre instead of straight RPG or action. Anyone else feeling a distinct lack of fantastical horror in the industry today? Would you be into games like this or is this another thing I'm alone on?

Not really clear if you are asking for fantasy horror (i.e. horror with magical / supernatural elements) or horror in a pre-industrial period setting.

For instance, Little Nightmares is a game that has magical elements in it, but it has an industrial setting.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not really clear if you are asking for fantasy horror (i.e. horror with magical / supernatural elements) or horror in a pre-industrial period setting.

For instance, Little Nightmares is a game that has magical elements in it, but it has an industrial setting.

Mostly the latter, but the former is fine too. But the prevalence of industrialized or post-industrial/spacefaring settings has definitely worn me down.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Spooky Skyrim is what I've been saying. Todd won't return my faxes tho.

I think a full-on open world is the wrong kind of setting for a horror game. Horror thrives on curated experiences - setup, payoff and the betrayal of expectation are key to effective horror execution - and a horror game would lose its edge pretty quickly if you have to spend five to ten minutes walking in a straight line just to get to "content".

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly the latter, but the former is fine too. But the prevalence of industrialized or post-industrial/spacefaring settings has definitely worn me down.

store.steampowered.com

The Count Lucanor on Steam

Pixel adventure inspired by classics like Zelda and Silent Hill.

store.steampowered.com

The Last Door - Collector's Edition on Steam

Something ancient and evil is stirring in Victorian England. Only you can stop it. Journey to the brink of madness and beyond as you set forth alone into the dark.

store.steampowered.com

Year Walk on Steam

In the old days man tried to catch a glimpse of the future in the strangest of ways.Experience the ancient Swedish phenomena of year walking through a different kind of first person adventure that blurs the line between two and three dimensions, as well as reality and the supernatural.

store.steampowered.com

Amnesia: The Dark Descent on Steam

Amnesia: The Dark Descent, a first person survival horror. A game about immersion, discovery and living through a nightmare. An experience that will chill you to the core.

store.steampowered.com

Gray Dawn on Steam

Embark on a terrifying adventure of a priest accused of murdering an altar boy. Gray Dawn is a psychological thriller infused with religious elements and combines story-driven quests with an artistic experience.

Feb 19, 2018
So anyone who's been paying attention to the past few weeks would be hard pressed to miss the sheer volume of sci-fi horror game announcements. Loads of games set on derelict space ships or abandoned planets featuring heavily body horror-inspired monsters as the primary combatants. Fans of sci-fi horror are eating well these days, as I'm sure basically anyone could agree.

But that begs the question: with all these examples of big-budget sci-fi horror practically piling on top of each other, what about some good examples of fantasy horror? There's so many more settings that could be used for horror games than abandoned spaceships or modern-day Earth, but it feels like the genre is kind of limited by a few cardinal inspirations - Lovecraft, The Thing, Alien/Aliens, Silent Hill, and zombie films - and that limits the kinds of settings and bestiaries we get to grapple with.

For someone not fully up-to-date and a big fan of sci-fi horror, can anyone do a quick list of the new announcements you are referencing? I know about the Dead Space Remake (2023) and The Callisto Protocol (December), but not of any others (I'm not going to count RE4 Remake).

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
Darkest Dungeon (and the upcoming Darkest Dungeon 2) are very Lovecraft, but there are plenty of folklore inspired gross monster designs.
Nothing screams horror like a full party wipe and a few hours of grinding your heroes back lol. Or even campaign restart

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
How would you do combat in a fantasy horror game without it feeling like the enemies are no threats? Souls come close but aside from bosses its usually pretty easy to deal with most things coming your way.

Nayenezgani

Jan 16, 2021
store.steampowered.com

Maid of Sker on Steam

Maid of Sker is a first-person survival horror, set in a remote hotel with a gory and macabre history from Welsh folklore. Brave the nightmares of the Quiet Ones. Do not panic…don’t even breathe!

Oct 25, 2017
For someone not fully up-to-date and a big fan of sci-fi horror, can anyone do a quick list of the new announcements you are referencing? I know about the Dead Space Remake (2023) and The Callisto Protocol (December), but not of any others (I'm not going to count RE4 Remake).

Fort Solis and Routine are two other recently (re)revealed games in this genre.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
V-Rising is in Early Access and you are the horror, but its there. Not the "fantasy" with the same trappings most people imagine, but Weird West is out and Evil West is coming soon. Obviously the theme is American Western, but the fantasy & Lovecraftian horror is part of the mix.