• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Spider-Man has been on fire these past couple of years, for a lot of people he was the highlight in infinity war, home coming, Had a bomb ass PS4 game that must have sold like 20 million copies by now, spiderverse winning an Oscar, than endgame and now a billion dollar flick.

Like good on Spider-Man

For real, while people are arguing over which individual film is the "best" it kind of ignores the fact that the Spider-Man brand as a whole is the hottest it's ever been. Even Venom, the movie people kept dunking on last year made some serious bank.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Second best Spideyflick with Spider-Verse edging it out.

Wonderful little tale with a great villain and a hugely likable cast.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Spider-Verse is a better movie than Far From Home, and I say that as someone who doesn't dislike Far From Home.

I mean, they're both amazing. Bujt a live action continuation in the MCU will obviously make more money than a single animated Spider-Man film.

We're getting more Spider-Verse so it's all good. (Though I worry that Sony is going to do to it what WB did to the Lego movies.)

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
This also helps explain why Disney is content and not aggressively trying to buy out the contract. Sony paid close to $300MM on marketing alone to promote a property where they make $0 on licensing and merchandise (i.e. the big money makers). They paid close to half a billion dollars on production and marketing for a property they can't fully monetize. It's pretty insane. While the movie will be profitable for them, Disney will make more money than Sony while not spending anything besides the possible fee (less than 3.5%) they may have to pay to Sony.

But the article doesn't say that they spent $288M on marketing. It's talking about the value of all the brand tie-in promotions.

Chaitanya

Dec 23, 2017
Still surprised none of the spidermen or thor beat 1 billion after so many movies. Captain Marvel 1 movie 1 billion!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a huge fan of the Raimi films, but they were a while ago now - would FFH match the first Raimi film adjusting for inflation?

Oct 30, 2017
crazy that we got the best live-action spider-man movie, a mind-blowing animated work of art, and an awesome game with one of the best takes on the character/universe all in the space of a year.

best single year in a superhero's history?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Very well deserved. Absolutely loved it and actually stopped to buy some swag at the theater store (mostly for my kiddos) which I basically never do, even for previous Spider-man films.

I also picked up a a Far From Home sh figuarts Spider-Man figure the other day when I bought MUA3.

What a great time to be a Marvel fan in general!

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That is why the deal always seem crazy to me. Sony gets a boost, but Marvel makes out like a thief in the night.

Probably just a result of Sony needing that boost a lot more.

Spider-Man has already been such a staple of merchandising over the years, I wonder how much of a boost the Sony movies give those sales in real terms.

Spidey has been the highest grossing comic book character for literal decades and by a large margin iirc.
And of course a ton of that was because of merchandising over the years.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Well that should guarantee a Spider-Man movie every 2 years for the foreseeable future.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Homecoming "only" made 880 million. Bigger worldwide box office market when compared to the Raimi films, MCU's massive popularity, coming off a great appearance in Civil War... compared to a lot of other MCU movies the budget was probably not that wild, but seems like it should've made a billion easily.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish Tobey had made Peter twerk in that infamous jazz dance scene. Make it pop baby.

this gif but Gwen reacting to twerk

RpL9.gif

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I think a combination of the art style and being done as animation probably hurt it's BO potential.
For me personally, it was the fact that it's an animation film ("must be a side-story"), a character I wasn't familiar with (I don't read comics) and the trailer itself (it looked weird with a weird story) that killed my interest in the movie.

I'm really glad I got around to watch it. It's a wonderful movie.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Still surprised none of the spidermen or thor beat 1 billion after so many movies. Captain Marvel 1 movie 1 billion!

MCU (or Disney really) has made hitting 1billion trivial to so many people on the internet when its really not. We're talking 1 billion dollars.

It seems if something doesnt hit 1bill these days its a flop lol.