• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting. Might be a nice thing to have for next playthrough.

bGzClcQ.jpg

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Ray Tracing really is a game changer. Looks stunning, the difference is incredible in motion.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Is ray tracing like a fancy name for piss filter? Half-kidding. It looks nice in a way but always make things more yellow and bright.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It's...okay. Looks gorgeous inside the temple, not so much outdoors. Being a post processing shader it doesn't have the same impact as real GI, and is often way over saturated in colour bounce to the point of inaccuracy. The green hue on the buildings in one shot is too bright, and the shader falls to bits the moment Geralt steps on snow.

With tweaks, if possible, it could be great though.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I'm guessing the performance hit is astronomical.

It doesn't look too hot outdoors. There's only so much you can do with post processing rtx I guess.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not RT, just a shader that uses depth data and the image to give a RT look.

Look at the start of the video, the swords are masking "RT" stuff in the background.
It also does not know light direction so in some scenes it can produce weird things.

The part in the snow is way too much.

It's really good looking in screenshots, but not good in movement IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but what about the FPS?

Explain to me like a 5 year old what exactly is ray tracing?

It basically simulates light rays from light sources bouncing of materials, like in real life, instead of just an artist creating an approximate interpretation of how a scene would look if it's lighted in a specific way. Also this means you don't need effects that try to fake the behaviour of light and shadows like ambient occlusion anymore because, well you have light that behaves like the real thing now.

OP
OP
Paul

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's...okay. Looks gorgeous inside the temple, not so much outdoors. Being a post processing shader it doesn't have the same impact as real GI, and is often way over saturated in colour bounce to the point of inaccuracy. The green hue on the buildings in one shot is too bright, and the shader falls to bits the moment Geralt steps on snow.

With tweaks, if possible, it could be great though.
Agreed, but this GTA 5 showcase rocks my socks

Can't wait to test it out with my 2080Ti.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
https://www.resetera.com/threads/reshade-mod-general-discussion.115392/

Lots more examples in the existing thread, too.

Light rays bounce in real life, illuminating things that direct lights in 3D games dont normally affect.

There have been some simple implementations of this, even back on PS3 (TLOU flashlight will bounce colora off a wall) but real implementations will actually cast rays and calculate where light is hitting, how much is bouncing, etc a few times.

In the case of this shader, it is using depth information available in screen space (so no lights outaide of the camera's view) to calculate the light bounces. Path tracing is more accurate of a term.

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't look that great to be honest. The color light reflection is way too strong for example. The grey wall next to the red flags is nearly a red brick wall with the RT on lol.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Agreed, but this GTA 5 showcase rocks my socks

Can't wait to test it out with my 2080Ti.

Those lambos in the hangar under the moving sunlight. And those apartment interiors ... just amazing. But the ghosting around Geralt on the OP video is a bit distracting. Still a cool demo.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good for what it is. Some exaggerated effects with color bouncing, but otherwise it's pretty.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
It's not a good full use of ray tracing as the shadows don't look Ray tracer at all. Looks like it's doing some cheap way of getting light data.

I would actually say this hurts ray tracing more than helps. Real rt would look a lot better.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
So are we going to get RT with a lot of older games through reshade and co. ? This will be really cool for games from the PS360 gen and up.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
It's not a good full use of ray tracing as the shadows don't look Ray tracer at all. Looks like it's doing some cheap way of getting light data.

I would actually say this hurts ray tracing more than helps. Real rt would look a lot better.
There is only so much you can do with post process with access to color/depth/normal buffers.
You cannot change rendering pipeline and replacing shadowmaps.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/reshade-mod-general-discussion.115392/

Lots more examples in the existing thread, too.

Light rays bounce in real life, illuminating things that direct lights in 3D games dont normally affect.

There have been some simple implementations of this, even back on PS3 (TLOU flashlight will bounce colora off a wall) but real implementations will actually cast rays and calculate where light is hitting, how much is bouncing, etc a few times.

In the case of this shader, it is using depth information available in screen space (so no lights outaide of the camera's view) to calculate the light bounces. Path tracing is more accurate of a term.

Not sure I'd understand that at 5...

Anyway screenshots it looks good, but not the best game to show off this.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks all for the explanations! I am not fluent in english so thats why i ask the 5 year old way :p i get it now ty ty ty ty ty! 😁

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017

Put on a blindfold and throw a ball at a wall, the ball is your ray. Imagine the wall was freshly painted so when the ball hits the wall the paint gets stuck on the ball. You then pick up the ball and determine the color of the wall without looking at the wall yourself. All your information comes from the ball... there, raytracing, the ball is your new God now!

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Put on a blindfold and throw a ball at a wall, the ball is your ray. Imagine the wall was freshly painted so when the ball hits the wall the paint gets stuck on the ball. You then pick up the ball and determine the color of the wall without looking at the wall yourself. All your information comes from the ball... there, raytracing, the ball is your new God now!

can't wait for your ted talk

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
That Witcher 1 music.

AWWW YEAH. I wouldn't mind if Adam Skorupa is involved in the Netflix project.

Mod looks cool as well.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
It's supposed to make lighting more correct, but it only adds more inaccuracies imo. Snow scene looks ridiculous and night is unplayably dark.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It most of the time can look better than vanilla game but also in motion there is some weird stuff.
If this was less power hungry than real raytracing it would be cool but when it eats as much fps being fake then its kinda meh.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It really depends on the game. The Witcher 3 already has great lighting, so it's not as much of an improvement.
Really?
TW3 had bad lighting even at release, today is just ugly... all looks so flat and the shadows have zero nuances, they are all black.
When I think at "great lighting" I'm imagining Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It's just the nickname the guy who made the shader picked.
He also uses "RT" and "Ray Tracing" badly as it's not RT at all.

It is tracing rays, in screen-space. There are no ifs and or buts about that. He fully acknowledges that is different than tracing into world space representations or triangles directly on his patreon site. It is not like he is a charlatan or something.
What I'm doing is ray tracing in screen space, tracing rays against the depth buffer (a data buffer that contains the information how far an object is away, as opposed to the color buffer which tells you what color the object has and what you usually see in any game). When compared to DXR, it has several limitations: anything behind another object does not contribute, anything outside the screen does not contribute, backfaces do not contribute. The benefits of this shader is that it can run on every game and GPU and it's a step up from regular SSAO. I hope this serves as a sneak peek at what DXR ray tracing can do and why everyone in vfx can't wait to get real ray tracing for their games.
Also he is professionally notable, a classy programmer and human being.
----
Everyone should view this shader as a better replacement for SSAO - if you tweak down the amount of bounce and occlusion it will literally just provide more than accurate SSAO + colour bounce which most SSAO does not even have.

OP
OP
Paul

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It is tracing rays, in screen-space. There are no ifs and or buts about that. He fully acknowledges that is different than tracing into world space representations or triangles directly on his patreon site. It is not like he is a charlatan or something.

Also he is professionally notable, a classy programmer and human being.
----
Everyone should view this shader as a better replacement for SSAO - if you tweak down the amount of bounce and occlusion it will literally just provide more than accurate SSAO + colour bounce which most SSAO does not even have.
Thanks for this clarification.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I would love to see Nvidia have team add actual RTX support into older partner games like Wild Hunt, Metro Redux, etc. Imagine them adding True GI and Reflections and or Shadows to games like this. And because they're older titles, they're more feasable performence wise.

Would be a great way to promote their hardware and at the same time the strength of PC as a platform.