• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wish there was a Fez 2?

• Nah, I'm over it

Votes: 264 27.5%
  • Yes, woulda been nice

Votes: 499 51.9%
  • *shrug*

Votes: 198 20.6%

• Total voters

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
'Unhinged' 'Toxic asshole'

Is there any legitimate evidence of Fish actually being a bad person, or did he just let his emotions get the better of him?

Apparently his opinion on Japanese games is where people drew the line. Embarrasing, and i'm not talking about Phil Fish.

By all accounts, it doesn't seem like Phil Fish is actually a bad person. It is shocking to me that one abrasive comment was enough to have people still hate him so passionately to this day. I mean, how many people have said actually awful things that gamers have forgiven effortlessly? It is crazy. Gamers are crazy.

Look how popular JonTron is, despite the whole eugenics garbage he spouted out

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apparently his opinion on Japanese games is where people drew the line. Embarrasing, and i'm not talking about Phil Fish.

Yeah - he could have done with some media training (since he is/was running a business) and not be as brash/keep some of his opinions to himself.. but I don't remember being an actual horrible person/racist/etc.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
He didn't make a comment about Japanese game devs as far as I recall, he said modern (circa 2009ish) Japanese games sucked when he was asked how he felt about modern Japanese games. Shortly after, he clarified that he obviously didn't mean literally every single game. Personally I think it's obvious that the way he said it was blunt but it can't really be denied that that was an incredibly rough period for Japanese games. I don't remember there being racist tones to it but I will admit it's been a decade and I could be remembering wrong.
That's it. And frankly saying that in 2012 is probably tamer and less stupid than general hot takes you'd see on message boards around then, even now and here on some occasions.

And looking at the general cadence and tone on present day Twitter, he was just ahead of his time.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah - he could have done with some media training (since he is/was running a business) and not be as brash/keep some of his opinions to himself.. but I don't remember being an actual horrible person/racist/etc.

Absolutely. He didn't do himself any favors. His comments definitely rubbed me the wrong way at the time. I just don't think he is some kind of monster, and I don't think he deserves to still get dragged through the mud, which people have already done quite a bit.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
y'all likely don't know how much GamerGate-related stuff took a toll on him. women in the industry have told me very bluntly that Fish took serious heat by being one of the only men they knew in game development who actively replied to and combatted GG-related hate and targeting. you don't have to like the guy, but I promise you, he was more active in giving a shit about GG victims than waaaay too many people (myself included, sadly). exactly where that landed in the Fez-related timeline, I can't say, but I promise you it changed his tenor about participating in game development and discourse as we know it.

or, in my own words (not his), getting predominately angry and targeted responses to the work you do can make it easy to not want to do that work anymore. how much of that he "earned," I dunno, and maybe he needed to disconnect to do his own personal work on that front. but I think of Fish the way I think of Bill Watterson: someone whose work I hugely admired and whose personal relationship to fandom was fucking complicated. (if Bill Watterson had been active on Twitter, I imagine our view of Calvin & Hobbes would be VERY VERY different.)

and just like with Bill Watterson, I'd likely want to see/play/experience future projects if they ever happened...... and have also made my peace with what it means to let go of a favorite creator as a fan. sometimes we lose creators to death, to retirement, or to their creative well running dry. it all happens. life goes on.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it a lot and have largely avoided the Fish dialogue because I haven't done enough research on it. I don't know if he's an awful dude, can't handle criticism, or what?

I would think he could simply release a sequel with no announcement kinda like PT and see how it does

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great shame that Fez 2 never happened. I can't believe people are still on Fish's case over some innocuous comments.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

Yup.

People think he's an asshole because he dared criticize the output of Japanese games in the mid to late aught's, when Japanese development was still refusing to adopt the usage of a lot of middleware and the most common game engines. He was right, but he was prickly and people took a major affront to him.

Watching those moments of Phil Fish really is a pretty good lesson in dealing with the internet, in that if you want to stay sane, you probably shouldn't at all. Everyone wants to talk about games in their own voice, but the gaming community has made it pretty clear that certain things aren't allowed to be spoken about or criticized, and if you do you get tossed out.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018

People will take your opinion more seriously, even if they disagree, if you don't spout off like an arrogant ass.

xPu9fff.png

FishYTComb.jpg

phil-fish-tweet.jpg

kcQmEOp.png

This was all before "GamerGate" so I don't think there is any reason to bring it up.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the hate toward Phil Fish was misdirected. Did he do anything worse than act like a manchild and annoy people online? Shouldn't result in a complete excommunication imo.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By all accounts, it doesn't seem like Phil Fish is actually a bad person. It is shocking to me that one abrasive comment (made nearly a decade ago) was enough to have people still hate him so passionately to this day. I mean, how many "content creators" have said actually awful things that gamers have forgiven effortlessly? It is crazy. Gamers are crazy.

Nothing justifies the hate campaign against him and I agree he's probably not a bad person but it's not just that one comment about japanese games that made him a target. He fueled this fire again and again through his toxic style of discourse on social media.

Completely vanishing from the internet was the best thing he could have done at this point.
I still hold out a sliver of hope he continued development in silence and will just shadowdrop Fez 2 in a few years.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
He was abrasive, but didn't deserve near the abuse he got on Twitter. He even got hacked and his personal information posted on the internet. I wish he was able to put out Fez 2, but I see 100% why he wanted to step away from game dev after what he was put through by the community.

I look back at this moment as a nice reminder why the general gaming community is garbage and how people explode over small things that no one remembers a couple of months after the dust settles.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero problem with Phil Fish, and I wish Fez II had happened. I keep being told he's a toxic asshole and keep not seeing it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Never got why Fez is so loved. I thought it was ok, but people used to talk about it as if it was the second coming of christ before it was forgotten.

It was released in a time where you could count indie games coming out in a month on one hand, which made every single one of them special.
Super Meat Boy, Bastion, N+, Braid, Trials, you name it.
Not like today where every game store feels like an awful mobile store with 300 games being released in a month with 280 of them being crap or mediocre at best.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Phil Fish say PCs were for Spreadsheets and that's why Fez wouldn't be there at launch? lol what a tool

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
Loved Fez. What a game.
I hope one day Fish chills the fuck out and makes a sequel.

although tbf. A part of me has always wondered if he self sabotaged because he wasn't convinced he could make a Fez 2 that Was able to match the nigh on perfection of Fez.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes I really wanted to see what he had up his sleeve for FEZ II.

The first game was incredibly fascinating.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
y'all likely don't know how much GamerGate-related stuff took a toll on him. women in the industry have told me very bluntly that Fish took serious heat by being one of the only men they knew in game development who actively replied to and combatted GG-related hate and targeting. you don't have to like the guy, but I promise you, he was more active in giving a shit about GG victims than waaaay too many people (myself included, sadly). exactly where that landed in the Fez-related timeline, I can't say, but I promise you it changed his tenor about participating in game development and discourse as we know it.

or, in my own words (not his), getting predominately angry and targeted responses to the work you do can make it easy to not want to do that work anymore. how much of that he "earned," I dunno, and maybe he needed to disconnect to do his own personal work on that front. but I think of Fish the way I think of Bill Watterson: someone whose work I hugely admired and whose personal relationship to fandom was fucking complicated. (if Bill Watterson had been active on Twitter, I imagine our view of Calvin & Hobbes would be VERY VERY different.)

and just like with Bill Watterson, I'd likely want to see/play/experience future projects if they ever happened...... and have also made my peace with what it means to let go of a favorite creator as a fan. sometimes we lose creators to death, to retirement, or to their creative well running dry. it all happens. life goes on.
Yep. It was very frustrating to not see more men actively supporting the GG victims at the time. Phil Fish might've not been great with some things, but there's not excuse for what happened to him during that.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

Here's the video of Fish saying Japanese games suck. It's a nice 1-2 douche combo from Fish and Blow.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Fez is a strong contender for my favourite game, and has a soundtrack I still listen to regularly. Fez 2 might not have lived up to the first one, but how I wish we could have found out.

As for Fish, yeah he was abrasive, but took so much crap from every direction, I'm not surprised he imploded the way he did - I hope he found peace away from the spotlight.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I bought Fez for my Mac around the time it came out. No idea where I bought it though... I should look into trying to activate it again. Never did finish it.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I would be very curious to see the venn diagram of people who refused to play Fez because they had a problem with Phil Fish but still continued to play games that actually had problematic creators (I don't consider Phil Fish problematic - he has a habit of putting his foot in his mouth, but by my understanding his heart is in the right place).

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing justifies the hate campaign against him and I agree he's probably not a bad person but it's not just that one comment about japanese games that made him a target. He fueled this fire again and again through his toxic style of discourse on social media.

Completely vanishing from the internet was the best thing he could have done at this point.
I still hold out a sliver of hope he continued development in silence and will just shadowdrop Fez 2 in a few years.

Yeah, I know he said a lot of things that raised hackles. It just always felt like that was the one remark that really put people over the edge. Though maybe that is because at the time it really rubbed me the wrong way. I am not trying to make excuses for the guy. He said a lot of abrasive things (I know that word has already been used a lot in here, but it really feels like the perfect word to describe Fish). Still, I do stand by what I said, it is crazy that people are still furious at him. It is insane that people still hate Phil Fish, after all these years, just because he wrote some obnoxious/prickly things.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People will take your opinion more seriously, even if they disagree, if you don't spout off like an arrogant ass.

xPu9fff.png

FishYTComb.jpg

phil-fish-tweet.jpg

kcQmEOp.png

This was all before "GamerGate" so I don't think there is any reason to bring it up.
Posting tweets of Phil Fish dunking on the Annoyed Gamer isn't the gotcha you think it is. Glad that dude's platform died with Gametrailers.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
That's even worse than I remember. I thought it was just some twitter rant. Not in response to an actual dev in a Q&A.

Seriously no one should defend anyone who tells someone else to kill themselves.
It's also funny hearing Blow talking about Demon Souls being a dumb game yet it's the PS5 launch pillar lmao.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Him saying your favorite platform and/or games from a specific country suck is not a good reason for attempting to ruin his life or even hate him really. I say this as someone who is pretty much strictly on PC for games and roughly half the games I play are from Japanese devs.

Still the only thing I've seen that bugs me is any kind of kill your self comments. The rest is still ignore and move on material.

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Fish was an eccentric blowhard but y'all are grasping at straws to cancel him. I don't know how I would behave with all my severe social phobias and mental health issues if I suddenly became "famous" and was the target of harressment. He was a dick, but he wasn't fucking Notch.

Back on topic, a Fez 2 in VR could be really dope.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I think Fez is great am sad that Fez II disappeared and get frustrated when people dismiss Phil Fish without any actual context to his actions.

While abrasive, he was literally the victim of gamer entitlement and mob mentality and it sickens me that people still consider him an enemy rather than highlight the times he's been an ally.