• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin tavern culture won't be denied I guess.

Yeah I don't think people realize just how many bars are in Wisconsin. I used to work for a law firm that sued bars on behalf of various sports entities for showing non-commercial license sporting events and the amount of cases they had out of Wisconsin was mind boggling.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
I've come to the conclusion that most conservatives are, deep down, just a bunch of selfish assholes who aren't willing to change their lifestyle for the betterment of the community.

Now, I am sure they think they are all good people, but as we know people are quite good at making up a bunch of bullshit to convince themselves that they are, actually, good people.

Climate Change? Fake! (I mean, if it were true, i'd feel guilty about owning that pickup!)
Covid? Fake! (I mean, if it were true, i'd feel guilty about going to that bar and spreading a deadly disease that will kill people).

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think people realize just how many bars are in Wisconsin. I used to work for a law firm that sued bars on behalf of various sports entities for showing non-commercial license sporting events and the amount of cases they had out of Wisconsin was mind boggling.

Yep

www.jsonline.com

When Wisconsin's stay-home order was overturned, many residents immediately thought of one thing: Bars

Shortly after the court's decision, the Tavern League of Wisconsin told bar owners they could "OPEN IMMEDIATELY."

Drinking alcohol is a way of life in Wisconsin and probably the number one method of socializing. It's also why Southern Baptist type churches never really took off in the state despite the demographics being pretty religious. They even had a law when I was younger that parents were able to buy alcohol for their children.

Shutting down the bars in Wisconsin is basically like shutting down the churches in rural America so I'm not surprised that people are immediately flocking back to their social outlets.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Yep.
There are a lot of small towns that have two or three bars and no grocery stores.

I've come to the conclusion that most conservatives are, deep down, just a bunch of selfish assholes who aren't willing to change their lifestyle for the betterment of the community.

Now, I am sure they think they are all good people, but as we know people are quite good at making up a bunch of bullshit to convince themselves that they are, actually, good people.

Climate Change? Fake! (I mean, if it were true, i'd feel guilty about owning that pickup!)
Covid? Fake! (I mean, if it were true, i'd feel guilty about going to that bar and spreading a deadly disease that will kill people).
Yep. They don't care until it starts directly affecting them or their family.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
You can still give your kids alcohol.

Looked it up and I didn't know it still existed!

Can an underage person possess and consume alcohol beverages on licensed premises?

Yes. Persons under age 21 may possess and consume alcohol beverages if they are with their parents, guardians or spouses of legal drinking age; but this is at the discretion of the licensee. The licensed premises may choose to prohibit consumption and possession of alcohol beverages by underage persons. (Sec. 125.07(1), Wis. Stats.)

DOR Alcohol Beverage Laws for Retailers - Underage Alcohol Questions

Wisconsin Department of Revenue: Alcohol Beverage Laws for Retailers - Underage Alcohol Questions

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking to family in Wisconsin and those bar photos aren't an exaggeration. That said, I look forward to the craziness that will be the Jersey shore next weekend. Unless the national guard is out there enforcing social distancing, it will be an absolute madhouse as folks from the tri-state area descent on the shore. For those who might not know, Memorial Day weekend down the Jersey shore means sitting in traffic for upwards of 7 hours. I can't believe Murphy is doing this.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Now most counties and cities that had their own safer at home orders in place have been rescinded as they aren't sure if the orders would be able to stand up to legal challenges, and the state is offering no guidance after the Supreme Court struck down the governor's mandate. So it's a free for all now. People are already packing bars.

We're going to see how bad this could get in a few weeks.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
It gets worse. The State GOP's plan may be, in fact, an extension of the Federal plan to have no plan and leave things to local governments.

See this Journal Sentinel article: Top GOP lawmakers now want to leave virus plan in the hands of local officials

Soon: Local GOP Individuals now want to leave virus plans to individual human cells.

Because, you know, small town Wisconsin has the medical expertise necessary to respond to a fucking pandemic. Especially with potentially both the State and Federal Government now deciding to not put forward guidance.

I'm hoping state health authorities keep putting forward guidance, even if it's not "enforceable" and localities implement them anyways. That's the best case scenario at this point, honestly.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
This is roughly what I expected. It's horrifying:

www.jsonline.com

No masks. No gloves. No problem. As coronavirus cases soar, carefree day-trippers from Illinois pour in

Wisconsin set a single-day record of cases of COVID-19 Saturday as 502 people tested positive for the coronavirus.

Illinois is still locked down to fight the novel coronavirus while Wisconsin is under a patchwork of local regulations after Wednesday's decision by the state Supreme Court to throw out Gov. Tony Evers' safer-at-home order.

"Illinois is closed and we've been wanting to get out," said Castano Penn, a Chicagoan who works at a senior living center and was not wearing a mask Saturday as he strolled the streets of Lake Geneva.

"I know it's probably bad," he said. "I'm just kind of done with it all."

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
This is roughly what I expected. It's horrifying:
we've been wanting to get out," said Castano Penn, a Chicagoan who works at a senior living center and was not wearing a mask Saturday as he strolled the streets of Lake Geneva.

"I know it's probably bad," he said. "I'm just kind of done with it all.

Coronavirus: oh my bad dude, sorry I outwore my welcome! Peace brah

Yup, because that exactly how viruses work, sir. And this is a *healthcare* worker.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I work in WI as an essential employee, in a factory of about 300 people. When this virus first hit I was pretty worried, but we've done a lot to keep people as safe as possible. The thing is, that included having all the fucking bars closed down.

100% guarantee a bunch of the people I work with were out on the town this weekend, and now I'm back to being crazy fucking worried again.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I work in WI as an essential employee, in a factory of about 300 people. When this virus first hit I was pretty worried, but we've done a lot to keep people as safe as possible. The thing is, that included having all the fucking bars closed down.

100% guarantee a bunch of the people I work with were out on the town this weekend, and now I'm back to being crazy fucking worried again.

Which is exactly the problem with how Wisconsin has played out. Even if the Supreme Court was gonna knock the order down, why not give localities 30 days to come up with their own measures?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Memorial Day weekend is going to be insane.

What I've noticed in the last few weekends is people saying "we'll do this one thing, but we'll be safe" quickly becomes either "fuck it", or "you're only as safe as the worst social distancer in your group".