• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Took a quick look around conservative Twitter and they're frequently citing Georgia's decline in cases following the reopening, but aren't those still following the downturn from social distancing?

(Also, is there a reason why they're citing positivity rates to downplay the virus, or...?)

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
People aren't going to stay in until theirs a vaccine and that's not a Republican talking point. Having EVERYONE inside just isn't feasible...so let's hope it all works out.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, he's the youngest one on the court and is generally further right than the rest of the group. It's a weird heel turn, the language he used in the dissent almost seems to imply that he's sick of this nonsense from the state republican party where they keep bringing up cases where they have no clear standing to sue.
Color me impressed..a judge who's further to the right making an impartial-esque decision

walkinfast

Aug 24, 2019
I can't wait for the republicans to do everything they can to obstruct the governor from implementing any sort of plan and then try to shift the blame onto the governor for no plan being in place when shit inevitably goes south while conveniently ignoring that the reason for no plan is entirely on them

That's exactly what they are going to do.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy! Can't wait for everybody in neighboring states (like Illinois! FML) to make a mad dash to Wisconsin Dells this summer!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Conservatives are on the side of the virus. Slam that message everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
As opposed to the left want to keep you locked in forever?

Huh? It's not about "wanting to keep you locked in", it's about trying to slow the spread of the virus so that hospitals aren't overburdened with something that we don't have a vaccine for and that is especially brutal on elderly and immuno-compromised patients. Any politicizing that is being done here - and that is exactly what the Republicans are doing - is scientifically, medically, and ethically atrocious.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they've told business owners to be prepared for all the liability lawsuits when people start getting sick.

We'll see how things go. But, I think a lot of businesses are going to be hurting still. I work at a resale shop in Illinois, and in the couple of weeks leading up to our closing, our sales were about 1/3 of what they usually are. Even before we shut down, we were furloughing all part time employees and changing our hours so we were open less. If we opened back up, I would probably just get laid off instead of furloughed, so it'd just make my unemployment claim more of a pain in the ass.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
This is why... well one of many reasons why... I can't be governor.

If I was governor and they did this I'd go on TV, throw up my hands and say "Fuck it, do whatever you want. It's your life.".

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
that shit is going to spike......stay safe good Wisconsinites. Because Northern Illinois is waiting for anything to open up..........if you guys open first, my state is ready to flood your ass and then watch this shit transit and transfer like fucking mad.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
People aren't going to stay in until theirs a vaccine and that's not a Republican talking point. Having EVERYONE inside just isn't feasible...so let's hope it all works out.
I heard a good analogy the other day. If your house was on fire you wouldn't renter just as the flames were dying down. US is only just past the peak, the house is still on fire and the GOP are sending folks into the flames.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
The precedent has been set.

Every other state will try this now.

They tried it once in Michigan.

abcnews.go.com

Michigan judge sides with governor in lawsuit over coronavirus shelter-in-place order

A Michigan judge sided with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and said her shelter-in-place order doesn't infringe on residents' constitutional rights.

They're trying it again.

www.mlive.com

5 reasons Michigan lawmakers are suing Gov. Gretchen Whitmer

Relaxing constitutional protections leads to “mischief,” the lawsuit says.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
won't this cause precedent in other cases
Honestly, at this point it's clear that a majority republican court will fuck over a democratic governor if it can.

This court already fucked with the primaries and it will continue to fuck with anything the governor has done and will do.

In fact, if you recall, WI was the state where right before the democratic governor was taking over, the republicans changed the law to make the new democrats less impactful in legislating power.

www.nytimes.com

Wisconsin Republicans Defiantly Move to Limit the Power of Incoming Democrats (Published 2018)

Robin Vos, the speaker of the Assembly, was the first official to publicly suggest that Republicans consider reining in the powers of the state’s newly elected Democrats.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
At least here in Madison people will still be mostly smart. Can't say the same about the tourists/terrorists coming in from out of town though.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only good part about this is how all the judges agree that Hagedorn sucks. The conservatives pull knives out in their opinions and the liberals avoid his howling nonsense to join only the decision part of his opinion.

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017

What some of you guys have to know is that Milwaukee and Madison still have stay at home ordinances in place. Outside of those cities, well yeah, they are opening back up and the people there don't care in the slightest about the virus or passing on to others. I don't really know what to expect, but I imagine if
people from the burbs and rural areas start dropping like flies, that they'll find a way to blame democrats or Gov Evers somehow for it. I've learned to when it comes to Republicans is that you can reason with them, its just not worth it to try. Even if something horrible befalls them or their family, its best just to look away in indifference.

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm glad that the extent of our governor's emergency powers is baked into the PA constitution. A couple of lawmakers on the right tried to create some noise when this ruling hit, but our state's Attorney General came out and stopped that fuss.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives have Wisconsin on lock it seems

I suppose only dire natural consequences will be the wake up call then sadly

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I've been talking with friends and family in Wisconsin, and there's basically *zero* guidance from local governments on what to do; it seems like nobody expected this order to come down. But now every restaurant and bar is racing to open up, and they're only going to be doing very superficial actions to stay safe, such as promising to "clean" more. No masks, limited social distancing that's mostly based on the honor system. It's a complete shit show. One bar I've frequented in Wisconsin posted on Facebook that you shouldn't come if you're sick and if you do get sick, the bar isn't responsible. Hooray!

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a stupid mess. Madison / Dane County basically just re-issued the statewide Safer at Home Order in its entirety, but statewide is a patchwork and tons of local governments aren't doing fuck all. The Tavern League's guidance to bars is an absolute joke, and they're almost encouraging members to ignore local orders: "it is unclear whether a local health order would, in the Court's view, suffer from the same deficiencies that caused the Court to invalidate the Safer at Home Order."

What was the case load in populated areas of Wisconsin does anyone know?

Have they been doing testing at all?

Health Department was tracking how close we were to start reopening based on criteria here: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/prepare.htm. County-level data is here: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/county.htm (Madison is in Dane County and Milwaukee is in Milwaukee County, but there are a lot of populated Milwaukee suburbs that aren't in the county).

The upshot is tests are basically available in most communities, but haven't scaled up to the Health Department's volume goal yet.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Republicans here have been howling at Evers for a month that he didn't have a plan, and now the Supreme Court ruled in their favor guess what? THEY DON'T HAVE A FUCKING PLAN.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I've been talking with friends and family in Wisconsin, and there's basically *zero* guidance from local governments on what to do; it seems like nobody expected this order to come down. But now every restaurant and bar is racing to open up, and they're only going to be doing very superficial actions to stay safe, such as promising to "clean" more. No masks, limited social distancing that's mostly based on the honor system. It's a complete shit show. One bar I've frequented in Wisconsin posted on Facebook that you shouldn't come if you're sick and if you do get sick, the bar isn't responsible. Hooray!
I live in northern Wisconsin. Feel pretty damn helpless.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down in Kenosha right now where the local government rushed to put their own "stay at home" into place as soon as this happened and I still have no idea if things are actually required to be closed or just "encouraged" to be closed. I'm just not leaving the house.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
fuego-titere.gif