• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I've watched The Staircase, but I can't remember what seems like an important part of Alford pleas: do they prevent the "guilty" person from claiming damages?

I think it's basically where the party doesn't admit guilt but admits that evidence in a criminal case would likely convict them....

Something like that.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I want to know where are all those people that still believe that the boy raped her, saw Steve kill her, etc. Police fed him information, the boy is clearly not a totally sane person, they used him, loed to him, put him in jail and he now had his life destroyed. Not fo say Steve himself, second wrongful conviction on his account.

This is all fucked up.

Ehhhh... certainly don't think it's a 'sanity' issue with Brenden. He has a lower-functioning mind (not unlike Jessie Misskelley from the West Memphis Three, who also had a very sketchy and basically illegal confession extracted from him by the authorities) and sadly both his and his mother's complete lack of understanding regarding how the law works, combined with dirty, moral-deprived detectives, landed him in a nightmare situation he may never get out of.
I do agree 100% with you- all fucked up.

Edit: just to be clear I'm absolutely not victim-blaming Brenden and/or his mom. In the US it's not uncommon for many in this country not to know the full extent of their rights, especially in a situation like that.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know where are all those people that still believe that the boy raped her, saw Steve kill her, etc. Police fed him information, the boy is clearly not a totally sane person, they used him, loed to him, put him in jail and he now had his life destroyed. Not fo say Steve himself, second wrongful conviction on his account.

This is all fucked up.

what about the people that think the victim was killed twice-once in a filthy bedroom and the again in a cluttered garage- and no blood was found in either room?

Jan 3, 2018
Actual photo of the guy

You think he'd just fall to his knees and cry, "Yes, I did it! I confess! By all means, please add a life term to my sentence!"

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Just as a heads up, this happens all the time with murder cases. I'm sure they're looking into it already.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Avery was a guilty man who was railroaded by a corrupt system but... even if I did think he is innocent this seems like little more than advertising for a new documentary. An admittedly uncorroborated jailhouse confession from another lifer. Why didn't they look into it beyond "he was convicted of murder and is from wisconson" before release? Where was he that day, for starters?

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who never watched beyond ep 2, why would Wisconsin go bankrupt?

It's a tad hyperbolic, but it would be the second time Avery is exonerated for a violent crime, and now his nephew along with him, so the state's justice system would likely undergo a financial reckoning for allowing it to happen and the fury that they've used to fight against Avery and Dassey's releases. WI taxpayers would have to absorb that hit.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No truthfully the prosecution never really found a primary crime scene in fact they found bones and another burn site in a quarry off the Avery property. Basically they used Brendan's coerced confession to taint the jury pool and ensure Steven Avery never received a fair trial. He at least deserved that after being railroaded by the system once before.

They didn't use Brendan's confession at all for Steven's trial. They got convictions for both of them with completely different narratives.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't use Brendan's confession at all for Steven's trial. They got convictions for both of them with completely different narratives.

I know they didn't use the confession at trial which is why I said they used the confession to taint the jury pool. Ken Kratz used the confession at his bs press conference before the trial.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Confessions without corroboration are useless.

... What she said.
I wonder if the fact that the series showed so many details about evidences (used and not used) that now it will be hard for the guy to corroborate with something that noone knows (and that can be proven). Assuming he is in fact the killer, ofc.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This is pretty timely on my part as I finally got around the watching the series last weekend. Living in Asia for the past 17 years, I knew nothing of the story. Within 4 days, I watched 19 episodes. I figured nothing would have changed by the end of season 2, but man, I was really hoping it'd end with at least Brendan getting out.

The Avery story is an American tragedy.

Last edited: