• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Hmmm… maybe I shoulder order a pair. What is the fit and feel like compared to the old headsets? I have a series 9 currently, but I'm not sure I like the look of the new nubbin based head band compared to the old ski google design.

What is the quality like compared to the old Arctis Pro?

The fit feels nice. The earcups feel kinda premium but I don't know how they'll hold up over a long run compared to the old fabric ones. I don't think the old ski google design was great as it would hurt the top of my head after long sessions. (I keep my head shaved). The new design seems to lessen the strain on top.

Last edited:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
The fit feels nice. The earcups feel kinda premium but I don't know how they'll hold up over a long run compared to the old fabric ones. I don't think the old ski google design was great as it would hurt the top of my head after long sessions. (I keep my head shaved). The new design seems to lessen the strain on top.

Hmm. I think I might be putting an order in…

And gifting my series 9 to a lucky friend.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Can you adjust chat/game volume on PC with these? I can't make that work on any game with my Arctis 7X (which I like a lot and am tempted to keep, but this upgrade sounds nice).

Dec 4, 2018
Is there any downside to getting these new Pros in the X version if I only have a PS5 and could maybe possibly someday get an Xbox? No PC gaming intended.

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
Is there any downside to getting these new Pros in the X version if I only have a PS5 and could maybe possibly someday get an Xbox? No PC gaming intended.
The only downside is the Xbox USB port can only be used on PC or Xbox, whereas the PS5/PC version can use both ports for anything. I think buying the Xbox version is a no brainer if you intend to own an Xbox in the future.

Dec 4, 2018
The only downside is the Xbox USB port can only be used on PC or Xbox, whereas the PS5/PC version can use both ports for anything. I think buying the Xbox version is a no brainer if you intend to own an Xbox in the future.
Do you mind explaining a little more what you mean by "for anything" regarding the PS5 version? So the Xbox version only has one "for anything" port that can be used for PS5, Switch, laptop, etc.? And those two "anything" ports on the PS5 version can be used for anything besides an Xbox?

Thank you!

Last edited:

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
Do you mind explaining a little more what you mean by "for anything" regarding the PS5 version? So the Xbox version only has one "for anything" port that can be used for PS5, Switch, laptop, etc.? And those two "anything" ports on the PS5 version can be used for anything besides an Xbox?

Thank you!
As far as I'm aware you're exactly right. Others in this thread seem to back up this information.

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
From what I can tell, the only downside to the Xbox version is that the one port is Xbox-specific and only works with Xbox and PC, and when connected to a PC it outputs slightly *slightly* lower-quality sound than the other port (48kHz/16 instead of 48/24 is the part I saw). Mostly a minor reduction in dynamic range. So if you're currently splitting PC/PS5 just be aware the Xbox version will be ever so slightly worse than the standard one on your PC. Whether you'd notice the difference is another thing, though. I don't think anyone but the most attuned listener concentrating on it would.

Do you have a source to verify that using the Xbox port on the Nova headsets lowers the quality of PC audio when connected to a PC? Is this because the headset is incapable outputting 48Khz/24bit audio from the Xbox?

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
the new pros look nice from steelseries but did people see the 7x+ is finally listed on the site?!?! I wanna upgrade my 7x to usb c for charging

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Eager to hear impressions from the folk that are buying this new Nova Pro headset.

I recently went back to open back headsets (PC38X Sennheiser), from the Penrose which gave me headaches due its clamping force.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a source to verify that using the Xbox port on the Nova headsets lowers the quality of PC audio when connected to a PC? Is this because the headset is incapable outputting 48Khz/24bit audio from the Xbox?

I have seen it floating on Reddit and various forums, officially the port *only* supports Xbox but it appears that it does detect it on a PC as an Xbox headset and handles it accordingly as best as it can, displaying on the external unit with the 48/16 setting. As an example, top comment here.

I can't speak to the quality of output from an Xbox myself unfortunately, just going off the impressions I've seen from others.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a day with them, and I love my Nova Pros. genuinely best headset I've owned so far.

They're more stable than the official Xbox Wireless headset which will just drop signal for no reason occasionally. Also MUCH more comfortable than them, and that's saying something because I liked those too. I think I preferred my Arctis 3 fit, but honestly I only think that's the case because those had more breathable ear cups rather than this faux leather.

Sound quality is pretty good. Not mind blowing amazing, but certainly good. I had a pair of the $500 B&O Portal's for a bit and those are definitely better sounding, but these can get pretty close with some tweaking.

ANC and Transparency modes are really nice to have. It's my favorite feature from my AirPods Pro's, so happy to have it here too. Transparency is especially nice so I can hear my gf if she calls me from another room.

Mic is alright. Tbh I've never cared for how SteelSeries mics sounded, but everyone else seems to love them. It's clear, but it sounds processed. That Verge review of it sounding like a Polycom when retracted and more present when extended is spot on from my testing.

I haven't used them long enough to determine battery life, but the hot swap feature seems super cool. I tested how long it takes to pop one in and it was seconds.

Bluetooth is as always great. I know a lot of folks hated that you couldn't turn on the official Xbox headset to use it via Bluetooth without turning on the Xbox console, but that's not an issue here since there's a dedicated Bluetooth button. Nice touch.

The design looks SO good in person. Almost as good as the B&O Portal. I'm impressed, and will be buying the custom color plates too.

Haven't used the PC app yet, but I'll probably plug them directly into the DAC I already have there anyway.

My big hope is that they release a mobile app so I can adjust sidetone and EQ levels without getting closer to the base station. Other than that, I'm satisfied.

Eager to hear impressions from the folk that are buying this new Nova Pro headset.

I recently went back to open back headsets (PC38X Sennheiser), from the Penrose which gave me headaches due its clamping force.
While I love the Nova Pro, I do miss how comfy my SHP 9500s are. These aren't uncomfortable, they're just not as comfy as those. I could barely tell I was wearing them.

Last edited:

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about purchasing the wired Nova Pros. Would the sound quality be significantly better than wireless?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking about purchasing the wired Nova Pros. Would the sound quality be significantly better than wireless?

Given how much I enjoyed the sound quality of the Nova Pro Wireless, I wasn't expecting a noticeable improvement with the wired model. But the GameDAC actually did make a difference. Music sounds fuller, with more warmth and a closer-sounding proximity to my ears. Swapping between both models to compare performance, the wired headphones have a more powerful sound with more detail.

This was true of my experience with games, too. I plugged the GameDAC into my PS5 for some Gran Turismo 7, and on a rainy time trial, I could hear individual raindrops hitting my car's windshield. Back on the wireless model, it still sounded like rain, but like I was hearing it from afar. You can still get this performance from the wireless model by plugging it into a DAC since it's got the same drivers, and SteelSeries even tends to sell its GameDACs separately if you want.
THE STEELSERIES NOVA PRO WIRELESS

The wired version gets the edge in sound because of the DAC. Same holds true with the older models.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

How realistic is it, to take the internals of a wireless headset and repurpose them to make a better gaming headset?

So for years I’ve been bothered that the only company to make a universal wireless headset device was Astro with the wireless Mixamp which was discontinued almost a decade ago? Now. It allowed you to take nearly any 3.5 mm device 3/4 pole and turn it into a wireless headphone or headset. With...

So this is something I've been working on having grown pretty frustrated with crappy gaming headsets that break easily. There's so many failure points usually compared to good headphones, not to mention lower audio quality. My penrose broke after 4 months at the swivel on the ear up and I had them replaced, but it's only a matter of time. It's still a work in progress but it's working as of today and I was jamming out to some music just a little while ago after testing it on some games. I need to create an enclosure and think about where the wires can be stowed since many good headphones don't have detachable cables. I just ordered a Beyer Dynamic DT 770 pro 32ohm and I think I'll base the enclosure design around that. But it's a marked improvement over most gaming headsets with such a simple modification. Originally I thought about integrating it directly into the headphones, but decided instead to basically create a new mixamp out of it that universal to any wired low impedance headphones like Astro used to but with Bluetooth capabilities and audio via usb dongle.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Curious about the nova, if it's like other steel series that have Bluetooth simultaneous option, but it'll mute the wireless mic if you use Bluetooth.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about the nova, if it's like other steel series that have Bluetooth simultaneous option, but it'll mute the wireless mic if you use Bluetooth.
It does not--I was on my Xbox last night using the headset for game chat but using the PS App on my phone to talk to my friend. Operates the same way the Arctis 3 BT does.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It does not--I was on my Xbox last night using the headset for game chat but using the PS App on my phone to talk to my friend. Operates the same way the Arctis 3 BT does.
That's good the 9 I got after my penrose broke would mute your mic in game when you used it for Bluetooth my understanding is the old pro also did that.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
That's good the 9 I got after my penrose broke would mute your mic in game when you used it for Bluetooth my understanding is the old pro also did that.
Yeah I remember hearing that, which is ultimately why I didn't end up with a 9X at launch. such an incredibly dumb decision, not sure why they made it that way.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone here still has
www.resetera.com

How realistic is it, to take the internals of a wireless headset and repurpose them to make a better gaming headset?

So for years I’ve been bothered that the only company to make a universal wireless headset device was Astro with the wireless Mixamp which was discontinued almost a decade ago? Now. It allowed you to take nearly any 3.5 mm device 3/4 pole and turn it into a wireless headphone or headset. With...

So this is something I've been working on having grown pretty frustrated with crappy gaming headsets that break easily. There's so many failure points usually compared to good headphones, not to mention lower audio quality. My penrose broke after 4 months at the swivel on the ear up and I had them replaced, but it's only a matter of time. It's still a work in progress but it's working as of today and I was jamming out to some music just a little while ago after testing it on some games. I need to create an enclosure and think about where the wires can be stowed since many good headphones don't have detachable cables. I just ordered a Beyer Dynamic DT 770 pro 32ohm and I think I'll base the enclosure design around that. But it's a marked improvement over most gaming headsets with such a simple modification. Originally I thought about integrating it directly into the headphones, but decided instead to basically create a new mixamp out of it that universal to any wired low impedance headphones like Astro used to but with Bluetooth capabilities and audio via usb dongle.
After the success I had with this, I'd love to use a higher end board from something like an Audeze penrose etc that can do simultaneous Bluetooth etc. But obviously just dabbling with these is pretty cost prohibitive especially at the higher level and I can't just get the internals afaik? If anyone has a broken headset that they're going to scrap because it's out of warranty. I'd gladly pay for it and maybe do something productive with it!

sharkkiee

Aug 6, 2018
I have used the Nova Pro wireless Xbox ones for a few hours now and have never owned a steelseries headset until today and here are my honest impressions.
I needed to get a new headset for a while now since my older Astro A50's were nearly at the end of life in regards to short battery life and I'd considered getting the artics 7x as I read so many postive reviews about them. Having owned a ton of headsets over the years, I stupidly bought the xbox wireless headset when it came out thinking it would tide me over till a decent xbox/ps5 headset came out (please don't waste your money on it)

These really do sound clear, loud with great bass once you customise it and are very comfortable on my big head.

The fact that they don't cut out (range was a lot more than my astros) when I need a whizz/deuce is a game changer.. Save your coins if you are after a all in one headset that you need and yes it is expensive and I trust me I know jumping on this headset I didn't even know that it was even coming out and reading the IGN review (Then read another 5 reviews) literally before I was going to bed and as standard taking -2 from the review as I always do but I digress, It also has a extra battery so you will always have charge on your headset when you are playing.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Will the new Nova Pro wired take advantage of the 96kHz, 24-bit precessing on the new consoles? Do games today take advance of hi res audio, Im a bit of a noob regarding lossless audio. Also how long are the cables, it site about 6 ft from my TV.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Looking at getting a Nova Pro Wireless and on Best Buy I'm seeing three different models with different boxes?

I play on PC so I'm sure that all of these would work but what are the differences between the three? I get that the Xbox version is the one for complete compatibility with devices but what about the two labelled playstation?

Last edited:

sharkkiee

Aug 6, 2018
Has anyone on here who owns the Nova Pro wireless Xbox had issues with the chat mic not working at all? I can't seem to get it working I've updated the firmware and played around with the settings and it doesn't seem to work at all.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a day with them, and I love my Nova Pros. genuinely best headset I've owned so far.

They're more stable than the official Xbox Wireless headset which will just drop signal for no reason occasionally. Also MUCH more comfortable than them, and that's saying something because I liked those too. I think I preferred my Arctis 3 fit, but honestly I only think that's the case because those had more breathable ear cups rather than this faux leather.

Sound quality is pretty good. Not mind blowing amazing, but certainly good. I had a pair of the $500 B&O Portal's for a bit and those are definitely better sounding, but these can get pretty close with some tweaking.

ANC and Transparency modes are really nice to have. It's my favorite feature from my AirPods Pro's, so happy to have it here too. Transparency is especially nice so I can hear my gf if she calls me from another room.

Mic is alright. Tbh I've never cared for how SteelSeries mics sounded, but everyone else seems to love them. It's clear, but it sounds processed. That Verge review of it sounding like a Polycom when retracted and more present when extended is spot on from my testing.

I haven't used them long enough to determine battery life, but the hot swap feature seems super cool. I tested how long it takes to pop one in and it was seconds.

Bluetooth is as always great. I know a lot of folks hated that you couldn't turn on the official Xbox headset to use it via Bluetooth without turning on the Xbox console, but that's not an issue here since there's a dedicated Bluetooth button. Nice touch.

The design looks SO good in person. Almost as good as the B&O Portal. I'm impressed, and will be buying the custom color plates too.

Haven't used the PC app yet, but I'll probably plug them directly into the DAC I already have there anyway.

My big hope is that they release a mobile app so I can adjust sidetone and EQ levels without getting closer to the base station. Other than that, I'm satisfied.

While I love the Nova Pro, I do miss how comfy my SHP 9500s are. These aren't uncomfortable, they're just not as comfy as those. I could barely tell I was wearing them.

Question for you, how do you tell when the battery is fully charged in the transmitter base? Mine fills up the bars entirely, but the charging symbol remains and it has been hours.

Or question to anyone that has a Nova and doesn't mind answering lol.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
I got the Nova and my quick impressions compared to the TB Gen 2 Max is that the Nova is both lighter on the head and far less clamping feel on the head. I only had like 5 minutes with it but will post some real impressions once I get everything setup and spend some time with it. Based on comfort alone, I think I will be returning the TB set.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
As a console player, I think wireless would be better because I sit farther away than say a PC player would be and benefit from wired. But that also means anytime you want to change settings on the DAC you have to get up off the couch and go over to the console.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have SO many problems with Microsoft's official Xbox Wireless Headset. It is incapable of holding a signal, it drops out constantly. And even worse, whenever it's connected my controller has connection issues, and drops out constantly. It's like the XSX is incapable of being connected to both the headset and controller at the same time. I have no idea what the issue is, it's not like the console is far away or blocked or anything.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I have SO many problems with Microsoft's official Xbox Wireless Headset. It is incapable of holding a signal, it drops out constantly. And even worse, whenever it's connected my controller has connection issues, and drops out constantly. It's like the XSX is incapable of being connected to both the headset and controller at the same time. I have no idea what the issue is, it's not like the console is far away or blocked or anything.
is it next to a router?

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Just received my wired Nova's now I only tested it with Spider Man remastered and I can say it sounds very crisp and detailed. I have it set to flat but I notice more environmental sounds, pedestrians, cars etc. I have to compare the Nova's to my 7x but so far so good. I find the Nova to be comfortable, maybe a little more pressure & squeeze than the 7x.

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
Just received my wired Nova's now I only tested it with Spider Man remastered and I can say it sounds very crisp and detailed. I have it set to flat but I notice more environmental sounds, pedestrians, cars etc. I have to compare the Nova's to my 7x but so far so good. I find the Nova to be comfortable, maybe a little more pressure & squeeze than the 7x.

Please post more impressions. I was thinking about making the same upgrade myself: Arctis 7X -> Nova Pro wired with DAC. I'd like to know how much of an improvement it makes.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Please post more impressions. I was thinking about making the same upgrade myself: Arctis 7X -> Nova Pro wired with DAC. I'd like to know how much of an improvement it makes.
So far I tested Division 2 and Ace Combat 7 on XsX and the Nova's sound great. Its too soon to say its a huge upgrade over the 7x since they already sounded fantastic. Current gen consoles don't support hi res audio so Im not sure the expanded frequency response really makes a difference. However everything sounds very crisp and clear.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Are people still liking the Penrose? Thinking about grabbing one, and am a bit concerned regarding fragility of the membrane. Also the connectivity problems, but it sounds like I might be able to address that with a USB extender if necessary.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Are people still liking the Penrose? Thinking about grabbing one, and am a bit concerned regarding fragility of the membrane. Also the connectivity problems, but it sounds like I might be able to address that with a USB extender if necessary.
I love my Penrose. At one point the plastic in the headband cracked and I had to send it back for a warranty repair, and it was excruciating going without it.

Make sure you update the firmware to the latest version once you get it, and be aware that it's supposedly quite susceptible to 2.4GHz interference (I haven't had any issues with interference myself), so try to keep it away from other 2.4GHz devices if you can I guess.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I love my Penrose. At one point the plastic in the headband cracked and I had to send it back for a warranty repair, and it was excruciating going without it.

Make sure you update the firmware to the latest version once you get it, and be aware that it's supposedly quite susceptible to 2.4GHz interference (I haven't had any issues with interference myself), so try to keep it away from other 2.4GHz devices if you can I guess.
I was seeing reports of bands breaking just above the ear cups. Wondering if I can reinforce that somehow. The one I'm considering is pre-owned, so I might have more trouble sending it in for repair.

My router is right below my consoles, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a USB extender to create some distance. Only a couple of devices in the house use the 2.4Ghz band, so hopefully it's not too bad.

Jose Cintron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Found this this morning:

www.engadget.com

AIAIAI Studio Wireless+: Finally, low-latency headphones for music producers

I underestimated just how freeing it would be to ditch wired headphones in my studio.

I've read some reviews and reports of a "hiss" worry me that it's using poor amp. Cans are really good from what I've read.

I actually recently tried these and theres horrible clipping that happens when gunfire is shot or any explosions are heard. Audio doesnt even need to be super loud. Even at low volumes that audio just clips in your ears and its pretty painful.

The headband was also pretty uncomfortable for me. All the weight is in the band and pushes down pretty hard. Sucks too since I was able to pick these up with a discount.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I spent the bulk of my first playthrough of Elden Ring using the Kaira Pro for PS4/5, so I thought I'd share a few thoughts in case anyone is considering it.

Sound quality was noticeably better than my Arctis 7, though I'm not really the best judge. I don't know the jargon, but it seemed more detailed and clear. I noticed sounds that we're less defined on my Arctis, and seemingly absent with my soundbar. The app has a custom EQ slider that made it easy to tune to my preference.

I found it very comfortable. It's light, and the padding feels great. Similar to the Arctis, but thicker so my ears don't touch any plastic. Usually don't like using a headset for very long, but I didn't mind this one.

The big feature that sets this one apart is the haptic feedback. Feels somewhere in between your standard rumble motor and the Dualsense. You really feel the bass, giving more intensity to the action in game.

It also supports Bluetooth, but not simultaneous use. You have to toggle between devices, which is done with a simple button press, but connecting can be finicky.

I did have some problems, however. Dongle connectivity is horrible. It was pretty much unusable plugged directly into my PS5. Using a USB extender helped a lot, but I'd still get the occasional crackling and popping. Bluetooth had noticeable delay, making it difficult to use for anything but music. My TV has a sync setting that actually helped, but didn't fully resolve the issue.

The headset also seemed to forget my settings whenever I turned it on. Volume would go straight up to 100%, the mic would turn on despite having the mute switch engaged, and sidetone would turn up to max. Razer support was unhelpful.

While I enjoyed the comfort and sound quality, the issues were too much for me, and I ended up returning it. It's entirely possible some of my issues were defects, and may not be a problem with every unit. I'd say it's maybe worth checking out if the haptic feedback interests you, but probably not worth the cost if you won't use it.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an equivalent thread for headphones in general?
Thinking of getting the nova Pro wired for ps+pc since I have the 7x already and can just use that for xbox but not sure if there's anything better at £225.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else gettiing a slight buzz in the right earcup with their Arctis Nova Wireless in bluetooth mode?

Edit: Weird, seems to have gone away.

Last edited:

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Nova Pro looks nice. I do not like the sound quality of the mic though in the tests on youtube.
I agree. You can make it sound really great on PC with their Sonar software, but those settings don't stick when you use it on console which is a bummer. If they can manage a way to let me save those settings to the EEPROM, it would sound great.