• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
oof, those Nova Pro look great, but good lord that price. Also I wish they kept the earcup material that the Arctis 7X uses, it's so comfortable and breathable. I don't really want to go back to some sort of pleather thing

Edit: This is a deal breaker, just saved myself $400:
Here's the weird part: aside from those softer earcups, I… don't actually like how the headset feels! It's not actually any more comfortable than the last-gen Arctis Pro for my fairly large head, and I couldn't find a single position where it didn't feel like it was putting pressure on my skull or jaw over the course of the day. Cam says he didn't experience that but agrees it doesn't have the effortlessly floaty feel of SteelSeries' previous Arctis headphones.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
I love the Pro Wireless but unfortunately I do use the optical for my LG C1 apps. I wonder if I could connect to the TV via bluetooth? Do I trade the ease of the optical for actual Xbox functionality? That's a tough choice.

Edit: As it is now anything that connects to my TV can have its audio played through the Pro Wireless, because of the optical connection. It's so convenient. With this new headset I'd have only two devices connected at a time. Maybe I could use the auxiliary in some clever way?

This is my feeling exactly, I've been looking to upgrade from my basic Playstation Wireless Golds for the past six months.

I was hoping this Pro Wireless refresh would add those missing features, improve the build quality, and retain things like the Optical connection. Convenience is what it's all about, and being able to use the device across as many platforms without having to swap connections is the most important factor, including LG C1 apps.

I'm weighing up whether I should jump on the prior Pro Wireless model, but then it hits me that you lose BT 5.0, ANC, and other incremental improvements.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I love the Pro Wireless but unfortunately I do use the optical for my LG C1 apps. I wonder if I could connect to the TV via bluetooth? Do I trade the ease of the optical for actual Xbox functionality? That's a tough choice.

Edit: As it is now anything that connects to my TV can have its audio played through the Pro Wireless, because of the optical connection. It's so convenient. With this new headset I'd have only two devices connected at a time. Maybe I could use the auxiliary in some clever way?
I'm also interested in this. I have a C8, a PS5 and an old pair of speakers and I'd like to know if there could be a way of connecting the TV to it for the built-in apps. I'm seeing there is a line-in, would connecting the aux of the TV to the line-in entry on the base station work? Would that be then redirected to the line-out for the speakers when the headset is not in use?

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this the same price as the old Pro Wireless?

I had those headphones and they were great for like 3 years till they broke. Picked a Penrose X and don't think they are as good.

I guess the new Xbox version of the Pro Wireless works with everything? Might be interested in these when they go on sale at some point.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
The new base station with the Xbox headset allows one Xbox connection via USB and 1 other device via USB. This makes it so I don't need to even connect a chat wire to the Xbox controller. I'll take that over the optical port any day.

Also review has dropped at The Verge https://www.theverge.com/23132836/steelseries-nova-pro-wireless-review-gaming-bluetooth-anc. I cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Very interesting.. I agree with this review as the same rings true with the SS Pro wireless vs the wired DAC version. The DAC version is the superior headset when it comes to overall sound. As an owner of both I would steer people towards the wired headset.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Theres no bluetooth on the wired right? No Dual audio is a complete deal breaker honestly. Can't imagine having a headset without it now

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
I saw the two USB ports and got excited about the prospect of simultaneous USB inputs, but from the IGN review it looks like it just auto selects one of them. Oh well.

Still, eye watering price aside, looks perfect. USB + BT is versatile enough for me.

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
I saw the two USB ports and got excited about the prospect of simultaneous USB inputs, but from the IGN review it looks like it just auto selects one of them. Oh well.

Still, eye watering price aside, looks perfect. USB + BT is versatile enough for me.

Yeah it appears to be only 1 USB audio at the same time. But you still get simultaneous bluetooth.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
So from what I can tell, the Xbox wireless version will work with everything correct? Get the xbox version and I can also use it for PS5.

The PC/PS5 version will not work with xbox though.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
I have a pair of the redesigned PS4 Sony Platinums. when playing on PS5, should I have them powered on and using the headset virtual surround sound, or wired into the controller and let it use PS5's positional audio?

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
So from what I can tell, the Xbox wireless version will work with everything correct? Get the xbox version and I can also use it for PS5.

The PC/PS5 version will not work with xbox though.
Seems that way if you want to plug both but be warned that one port seems to be entirely dedicated to an xbox in case you want to change something in the future.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Disappointed you can't use the two USB sources simultaneously, would've preferred that to having to juggle the 3.5mm on the dongle like I do now with my Arctis 9's.

Regardless, it just brings me back to the question of why Sony don't just make their headphones compatible with a fancy dongle. I'd be buying the XM5's in a heartbeat if they did.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Seems that way if you want to plug both but be warned that one port seems to be entirely dedicated to an xbox in case you want to change something in the future.

Yeah its like the dongle with the switch only its built in. I do wonder if the Xbox port works with PC though given stuff made for Xbox still works on PC, I don't see why this wouldn't.

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Yeah its like the dongle with the switch only its built in. I do wonder if the Xbox port works with PC though given stuff made for Xbox still works on PC, I don't see why this wouldn't.

Going off of their FAQ, it seems to be for Xbox's only, using the security chip. "All models come with two direct USB system connections, but if you own an Xbox, only the Nova Pro Wireless for Xbox will allow you to connect via the dedicated Xbox port (the second USB port is flexible for PC, PlayStation 4/5, Switch, Mac)."

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Theres no bluetooth on the wired right? No Dual audio is a complete deal breaker honestly. Can't imagine having a headset without it now
I miss it. I still have the Xbox Wireless Headset, but stopped using it in favor of some Philips SHP9500's and a v-moda mic. But the lack of Bluetooth has meant wearing earbuds under my headset for chatting using my phone.

These new steel series are enticing…just hesitate because of that price. If they were $100 cheaper I would have bought them already

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

LGs generally work fine with Bluetooth headphones. Not sure about latency and you won't get Mic of course.

Edit: On the headset, really interested to see comparison in Audio quality vs TB 700 Max 2 vs Arctis 7x. $350 is a lot for a gaming headset unless its actually coming from proper headphone brand.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
oof, those Nova Pro look great, but good lord that price. Also I wish they kept the earcup material that the Arctis 7X uses, it's so comfortable and breathable. I don't really want to go back to some sort of pleather thing

A lot of these decisions seem like a step back - the change from the Velcro adjustable band to clips seems crap, breathable fabric to leather (also not vegan friendly) is another loss.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
2 weeks in with the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 gen2 MAX. Goofy af looking on my small head but the upside is that I don't feel the clamping force as bad as someone with average to large heads — feels legit locked in at just the right amount of pressure for maintaining a solid seal and being super comfy. I love the contact side of the ear cushions, the material is super good at heat management.

Sound quality is more natural than the Xbox official wireless headset. I like it, it's not quite "neutral" but it's not as overemphasized as the Xbox set. I'm finding that in my experience so far, they sound punchier on PS5 than on my Series X. Dunno why, especially since the current model is designed for Xbox.

Battery life is definitely 40+ hours, even seemingly when under the highest strain I can put (dual synced to my iPad for Discord/podcasts/music). Love the no fuss on battery recharging — I also own AirPods Max for my Apple devices and their passive drain gives the impression that they last a lot less longer than their advertised 20 hours. The 40 hours feels kinda like a conservative estimate in the case of these TB.

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
I'd like to see a direct comparison to the Pro Wireless in terms of sound quality. I think that's one area where an upgrade could see a big improvement.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
I highly doubt they could achieve that level of (planar magnetic) fidelity.
I agree. But if they can get close and offer better spatial effect they could push me to purchase. Whilst the sound is great on the Penrose they are not the most user friendly are they.
Hopefully somebody on here will be able to compare and let us know!

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I agree. But if they can get close and offer better spatial effect they could push me to purchase. Whilst the sound is great on the Penrose they are not the most user friendly are they.
After upgrading their firmware and setup them on PC with these settings (including Dolby Atmos for Headphones) they've been a dream come true so far for me, both on XSX and PC.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I own both consoles and I've gone from:-

HD6xx + modmic 5 --> Pulse | Series Headset --> Penrose --> Pulse | Series Headset --> HD560S + modmic uni --> Pulse | Series Headset

(back to official headsets because while I LOVE the 560S, with the modmic uni I still have minor microphone issues and complaints from teammates that just never happen with the official headsets)

So I've been mindlessly checking this thread.
  • Is it still true that you can't adjust game audio/party mix on any third party PS headset, but you can on some third party Xbox headsets, and is this pretty much just because of the chip that MS require?
  • Is it still true that if you own PS and Xbox, you should pretty much always buy the Xbox version of the headset (for the chip), and it'll still work fine on PlayStation (in PC mode)? or are there any minor usability caveats when using the Xbox version of a headset on PlayStation compared to the PlayStation branded one?
Thanks

Last edited:

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
After upgrading their firmware and setup them on PC with these settings (including Dolby Atmos for Headphones) they've been a dream come true so far for me, both on XSX and PC.
I've had the Penrose X for about 18 months. The sound really is very good. But pretty much everything else is sub par. That's why I'd take a slight drop in sound quality if overall the Nova Pro's were better to use.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can adjust the audio/chat mix on every third party PS5 headset, you just have to use the PS5 UI. Press the PlayStation button, click the sound icon, then adjust the slider.

Physical controls for adjusting the mix only works on Sony headsets.
I know, and I think the UI for this is very quick/easy to use, I was just curious because it seems to be the one positive difference that this "chip" makes, allowing for this function on third party.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the Nova Pro's have better/same/worse sound quality than the wired version?
Want to buy a wired headset for my playstation and use the 7x with my xbox exclusively. Ideally want wireless , but not $100 more for the same sound quality. Are these like the 7x where the xbox version supports everything or are the normal version better for ps/pc?
My only issue with the 7x are the lows and having to move the adapter every time is kind of a nuicance.

Last edited:

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018
Reading over the thread im very interested in the new Novas. I don't currently have an xbox, but could possibly get one in the future. If I want to cover all my bases would it be best to snag the xbox version since 1 port would be able to be used for pc/ps5 and the other for xbox? Any other downsides to getting xbox branded version?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Do the Nova Pro's have better/same/worse sound quality than the wired version?
Want to buy a wired headset for my playstation and use the 7x with my xbox exclusively. Ideally want wireless , but not $100 more for the same sound quality. Are these like the 7x where the xbox version supports everything or are the normal version better for ps/pc?
My only issue with the 7x are the lows and having to move the adapter every time is kind of a nuicance.

The DAC is the main difference. It delivers more detailed sound. The wired/wireless headset share the same drivers.
Wired version better sound, wireless version for ANC and BT.

Reading over the thread im very interested in the new Novas. I don't currently have an xbox, but could possibly get one in the future. If I want to cover all my bases would it be best to snag the xbox version since 1 port would be able to be used for pc/ps5 and the other for xbox? Any other downsides to getting xbox branded version?

The Xbox version has a required security chip. No other differences.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

From what I can tell, the only downside to the Xbox version is that the one port is Xbox-specific and only works with Xbox and PC, and when connected to a PC it outputs slightly *slightly* lower-quality sound than the other port (48kHz/16 instead of 48/24 is the part I saw). Mostly a minor reduction in dynamic range. So if you're currently splitting PC/PS5 just be aware the Xbox version will be ever so slightly worse than the standard one on your PC. Whether you'd notice the difference is another thing, though. I don't think anyone but the most attuned listener concentrating on it would.

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018
From what I can tell, the only downside to the Xbox version is that the one port is Xbox-specific and only works with Xbox and PC, and when connected to a PC it outputs slightly *slightly* lower-quality sound than the other port (48kHz/16 instead of 48/24 is the part I saw). Mostly a minor reduction in dynamic range. So if you're currently splitting PC/PS5 just be aware the Xbox version will be ever so slightly worse than the standard one on your PC. Whether you'd notice the difference is another thing, though. I don't think anyone but the most attuned listener concentrating on it would.

Appreciate that info. I decided to pull the trigger on the pc/ps5 version since it's really unlikely I'll buy an Xbox to have both ports available at full audio. Can confirm the DUKE coupon code posted above works for 12% off ($42).

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
So after using the Xbox version of the Nova Pro Wireless with both Xbox One X and PS5 for several hours, this is my new favorite headset. I plan on selling off my Penrose X and Arctis Pro Wireless and just use these going forward. The battery life so far has been great. I've got about 10 hours or playtime and I've lost maybe 25-50 off of the battery (judging by the battery level on the base) with wireless, BT, and ANC enabled. My Arctis Pro wireless would've died by now. And the batteries are surprisingly small compared to the Arctis ones.

Now I am not an audiophile and I haven't seen any good EQ presets yet, but using the Focus preset sounds really good. I would say it's much closer to the Penrose X than it is to the Arctis Pro's for sound quality. I think the Penrose still beats it by a little but we will see once some custom EQs are out there. The ANC works pretty well but it's not on the level of Sony or Bose.

They don't seem to squeeze my head the way the Penrose do, but they don't sit on my head as lightly as the Arctis. Build quality seems good, however a lot of people has issues with the Arctis breaking near where the hinge meets the right earcup. I used my 8+ hours a day for the last 2 years without cracks or breaks though. Button placement is nice as well. But it is harder to navigate the menu on the base using the wheel on the headset since you have to hold the wheel in for a second or two.

But to me the most important thing is the range and convenience. I can walk farther in my house with these on than my old Arctis, almost everywhere in the house, and it completely shits on the Penrose's range. I haven't lost connection yet. Bluetooth connections sound great. Plus the convenience of not needing to move a dongle over to switch systems is a game changer. I'm super satisfied with these.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
So after using the Xbox version of the Nova Pro Wireless with both Xbox One X and PS5 for several hours, this is my new favorite headset. I plan on selling off my Penrose X and Arctis Pro Wireless and just use these going forward. The battery life so far has been great. I've got about 10 hours or playtime and I've lost maybe 25-50 off of the battery (judging by the battery level on the base) with wireless, BT, and ANC enabled. My Arctis Pro wireless would've died by now. And the batteries are surprisingly small compared to the Arctis ones.

Now I am not an audiophile and I haven't seen any good EQ presets yet, but using the Focus preset sounds really good. I would say it's much closer to the Penrose X than it is to the Arctis Pro's for sound quality. I think the Penrose still beats it by a little but we will see once some custom EQs are out there. The ANC works pretty well but it's not on the level of Sony or Bose.

They don't seem to squeeze my head the way the Penrose do, but they don't sit on my head as lightly as the Arctis. Build quality seems good, however a lot of people has issues with the Arctis breaking near where the hinge meets the right earcup. I used my 8+ hours a day for the last 2 years without cracks or breaks though. Button placement is nice as well. But it is harder to navigate the menu on the base using the wheel on the headset since you have to hold the wheel in for a second or two.

But to me the most important thing is the range and convenience. I can walk farther in my house with these on than my old Arctis, almost everywhere in the house, and it completely shits on the Penrose's range. I haven't lost connection yet. Bluetooth connections sound great. Plus the convenience of not needing to move a dongle over to switch systems is a game changer. I'm super satisfied with these.

Hmmm… maybe I shoulder order a pair. What is the fit and feel like compared to the old headsets? I have a series 9 currently, but I'm not sure I like the look of the new nubbin based head band compared to the old ski google design.

What is the quality like compared to the old Arctis Pro?