• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
For peeps with the Portals, are they decently loud. I fancy a pair but a few reviews stated that they aren't as loud as most other headsets. I'm pretty deaf and currently using Sennheiser 598c with ModMic but wanna go wireless.

Metsuki

Oct 31, 2020
Portugal
For peeps with the Portals, are they decently loud. I fancy a pair but a few reviews stated that they aren't as loud as most other headsets. I'm pretty deaf and currently using Sennheiser 598c with ModMic but wanna go wireless.
Oh they definitely do not get as loud as other headsets. I don't have trouble with hearing, so they can still blow my ears off.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Oh they definitely do not get as loud as other headsets. I don't have trouble with hearing, so they can still blow my ears off.
Agreed, the Portals do not go as loud as other headsets I have (while the Penrose goes ridiculously loud). I also don't really need, or want, my headsets to be overly loud so it's not an issue for me but if you do then they might not be the best option.

Metsuki

Oct 31, 2020
Portugal
EDIT: just discovered that if I mute the mute in 2.4Ghz mode the sound gets a bit tinny. Weird, doesn't really bother me tho.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
Got it. Yeah, I would mostly agree with your assessment of the Penrose. I still have mine and use it occasionally, but it certainly isn't as comfortable (or solidly built) as some of my other similarly priced headphones (B&O, Sennheiser, V-Moda).

As for moving between consoles without a dongle, I don't see that ever happening unless something like the Portal adds a dongle connection along with integrated Xbox wireless which I'm not sure MS would allow.

Yeah, the B&O set looks very comfortable.

Along with dual audio, I think my ideal headset would also have integrated Xbox wireless and use a dongle connection for PS5 (and potentially Switch). I'd pay a premium for this as it'd be nice to have one that works with all systems. (I don't have a PS5 yet, but I will get one at some point.)

It'll probably never happen, but who knows. We've got cross-platform multiplayer, and now we're increasingly getting racing wheels and fight sticks that work with all platforms, so I can envision it. It'd be great if it happens.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've got from a coworker an Xbox Series S with a Corsair HS75 XB bundled in.

I've just tested the headset with the Dolby Atmos app and while they sound OK, they didn't blow my mind (not that I expected great things, but I think my HyperX Alpha S on the PC sounds a bit better and seems to cost about the same, even if they're wired). Also they don't have any integration with the Xbox OS even if they're ONLY for Xboxes (this DOES blow my mind)

Anyone here has these? Any game on Gamepass that are recommended to use/test the Dolby Atmos feature?

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
So, I've got from a coworker an Xbox Series S with a Corsair HS75 XB bundled in.

I've just tested the headset with the Dolby Atmos app and while they sound OK, they didn't blow my mind (not that I expected great things, but I think my HyperX Alpha S on the PC sounds a bit better and seems to cost about the same, even if they're wired). Also they don't have any integration with the Xbox OS even if they're ONLY for Xboxes (this DOES blow my mind)

Anyone here has these? Any game on Gamepass that are recommended to use/test the Dolby Atmos feature?

Gears 5 and Halo Infinite.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My local Best Buy has the new Turtle Beach Stealth 700 gen2 MAX in stock. Think I might give them a try. The only issue I'm worried about based on reviews is the clamping force, which is the #1 thing that I've disliked about over ear headphones in general my entire life. Airpods Max, Sony XM4 and the Xbox wireless headset have been recent models that work for me comfort wise but there's at least double that from over the years that I hate.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Lol used my 700 gen 2 max for about 11 hours now. Tried to time it.
And the battery level is still at 85% lol

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They look like they are quite bulky - any idea how they feel in terms of weight and tightness compared to the 7x?
Weight is fine. Dont notice alot of difference to the normal 700 gen 2. Just abit more clamping force compared to the 7x.
But the very soft and nicely fit earpads make up for that.

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone's interested, the Beoplay Portals are £299 in the Microsoft UK store right now. Tempted as I have about £200 worth of points but would like to demo them first.

Metsuki

Oct 31, 2020
Portugal
Yeah, I've been having a great time with it, I know it's a 200€ difference, but I was I bought this one first instead of the Penrose.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Update on the battery life on the 700 gen 2 max. 31.5 hours now used battery level at 31 %
Pretty crazy. Its nice to have not to worry at all to charge the headset constantly. And you know you can easy go a week without it

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
steelseries.com

Arctis 7X+ Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox | SteelSeries

The new Arctis 7X+ will meet your every gaming need with incredible award-winning sound in stunning detail and an amazing 30 hours of battery life.

Updated to have usb c. And price increases.
Nice. I am tempted to sell mine and get a new one just to get rid of my last "regular" devices utilizing micro-USB. I do have bunch of older stuff of course, i.e. PS3 and other older electronics, but otherwise, everything is USB-C.

That said, probably not as my 7X works just fine.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Was slightly intrigued by the Portals for a brief moment before realizing they're not PS/Xbox multiplatform (at least without introducing a laggy bluetooth dongle). Things would be so much simpler if I didn't care about that.

Concerned by the seemingly endless number of "good, but..." impressions but I think I might roll the dice on the Penrose.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone have any good FPS EQ settings for the Arctis 7x? I want to try various EQs to compare to the TB 700 Max. The TB do sound good but the clamping on the bottom side of the headphones is a bit much (on your jawbone). I currently have them sitting with a pillow wedged between the earpads to see if they loosen up with some breaking in.

Metsuki

Oct 31, 2020
Portugal
Just compared the Portal's to the HD600 and I'm surprised at how neutral they are, they are slightly warmer due to a lack of upper treble.
I'm really happy with them.

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
Does anyone have any good FPS EQ settings for the Arctis 7x? I want to try various EQs to compare to the TB 700 Max. The TB do sound good but the clamping on the bottom side of the headphones is a bit much (on your jawbone). I currently have them sitting with a pillow wedged between the earpads to see if they loosen up with some breaking in.

This is my custom EQ for the Arctis 7X. I find it works well for everything. But my primary complaint with the 7X was a lack of bass:

My Custom SteelSeries Arctis 7X EQ

How do you find the Gen Max sound compared to the 7X at this point?

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
This is my custom EQ for the Arctis 7X. I find it works well for everything. But my primary complaint with the 7X was a lack of bass:

My Custom SteelSeries Arctis 7X EQ

How do you find the Gen Max sound compared to the 7X at this point?

I haven't gotten to play with them as much as I'd like yet. But my quick impressions is they have more volume and punch to them (again I haven't adjusted any EQs on either). But I quickly picked up on the clamping feeling. I left them on something overnight to try to stretch them out a little bit. I'll also say switching between the TB and the 7x, the TB feel noticeably heavier on the head. I would say the TB fit is "U" shaped so they are bulkier while on your head, whereas the 7x feels more "O" shaped like closer to your head on all sides.

I hope to find some time this weekend to spend quality time with the TB and make a decision on keeping them or not.

My experience so far has been only with an XSX as I haven't tried them with anything else yet. I have had a few glitches mentioned on Reddit about volume drop and having to switch the dongle between Xbox and USB to get the volume levels back.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Steel series keeps teasing almighty audio with drops in a day. Whatever that's about.
Seems to be a Nova Pro and Nova Pro Wireless - https://twitter.com/FelixMl37372475/status/1528319903266127872.

This Reddit comment thread has links to pages with more details - https://www.reddit.com/r/steelserie.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3.

Looks like they're sticking with the same connection between strap and headphones. Disappointing considering how they always inevitably break. Hope they've fixed them in some way.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Seems to be a Nova Pro and Nova Pro Wireless - https://twitter.com/FelixMl37372475/status/1528319903266127872.

This Reddit comment thread has links to pages with more details - https://www.reddit.com/r/steelserie.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3.

Looks like they're sticking with the same connection between strap and headphones. Disappointing considering how they always inevitably break. Hope they've fixed them in some way.

Interesting. Wonder if there will be an Xbox flavor, firm price etc. My 7x seem fine, but I see a ton of people with cups breaking.

Also is there a quick way to check when the last time a firmware was release versus having to hook up the headset. If rather avoid the hassle for nothing.

Last edited:

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
The new Steelseries Headsets are up on their site. And they look amazing.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-pro-wireless-xbox - Is the Xbox branded one. It has two USB-C ports to connect to an Xbox and either a PS4/PS5/PC/or Switch at the same time. It has ANC. Still has the hot swappable batteries and bluetooth too. This is the one I ordered.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-pro-wireless-ps - Is the PS branded one. You can connect to any two devices at the same time, except for an Xbox. So PS5 and PC, which you can't do on the Xbox one.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-pro - is the wired one for PS4/5/PC/Switch

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-pro-xbox - is the wired one for Xbox/PS4/5/PC/Switch

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-pro-wireless-xbox - Is the Xbox branded one. It has two USB-C ports to connect to an Xbox and either a PS4/PS5/PC/or Switch at the same time. It has ANC. Still has the hot swappable batteries and bluetooth too. This is the one I ordered.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-pro-wireless-ps - Is the PS branded one. You can connect to any two devices at the same time, except for an Xbox. So PS5 and PC, which you can't do on the Xbox one.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-pro - is the wired one for PS4/5/PC/Switch

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-pro-xbox - is the wired one for Xbox/PS4/5/PC/Switch
This looks pretty great for an option that works across Series and PS5. I do wish Astro would just release a native next-gen version, though.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018

Have they removed the Optical In and the Optical Out ports on the wireless base station? Fricking stupid if that's the case.

With the prior Pro Wireless you could at least connect the optical to the TV, and then allow the Xbox audio to be parsed that way through the HDMI. Now that option has been totally removed, and you're left with two different SKUs, one with functionality for the Xbox and the other for PS5. You'd think at that price point they'd have found a way to allow both console options to function, especially when all the competition for the past six months has found a way around this.

Expect more for £330, or for them to have at least left the Optical ports on the base station....such a step back.

Edit -

Just read the following. I guess the Xbox branded one covers most angles on connectivity here. Still, it's a shame Optical looks to have been cut altogether. Will wait for some in-depth reviews.

All models come with two direct USB system connections, but if you own an Xbox, only the Nova Pro Wireless for Xbox will allow you to connect via the dedicated Xbox port (the second USB port is flexible for PC, PlayStation 4/5, Switch, Mac).

Last edited:

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Have they removed the Optical In and the Optical Out ports on the wireless base station? Fricking stupid if that's the case.

With the prior Pro Wireless you could at least connect the optical to the TV, and then allow the Xbox audio to be parsed that way through the HDMI. Now that option has been totally removed, and you're left with two different SKUs, one with functionality for the Xbox and the other for PS5. You'd think at that price point they'd have found a way to allow both console options to function, especially when all the competition for the past six months has found a way around this.

Expect more for £330, or for them to have at least left the Optical ports on the base station....such a step back.

Edit -

Just read the following. I guess the Xbox branded one covers most angles on connectivity here. Still, it's a shame Optical looks to have been cut altogether. Will wait for some in-depth reviews.

The new base station with the Xbox headset allows one Xbox connection via USB and 1 other device via USB. This makes it so I don't need to even connect a chat wire to the Xbox controller. I'll take that over the optical port any day.

Also review has dropped at The Verge https://www.theverge.com/23132836/steelseries-nova-pro-wireless-review-gaming-bluetooth-anc. I cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
I doubt chatmix will work with the PS5, as far as i know its only the PS headsets themselves.

But i have to move the entire base station if i want to use it on my pc to ps5/xbox lol. Looks good but wish it was just USB.

Edit: Yup doesn't support chatmix on PS5 in-game. Shame that Sony won't allow it apart from their own.....

Last edited:

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I moved on from Astros a long time ago, after their stupid base station redesign where the headset need to sit perfectly to recharge. Hot-swappable batteries are a game changer.
I probably need to, but for some reason I feel connected to them. Still using my 2010 MLG Astro A40's.

Those Steelseries look great if you can get them on a discount.

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
I love the Pro Wireless but unfortunately I do use the optical for my LG C1 apps. I wonder if I could connect to the TV via bluetooth? Do I trade the ease of the optical for actual Xbox functionality? That's a tough choice.

Edit: As it is now anything that connects to my TV can have its audio played through the Pro Wireless, because of the optical connection. It's so convenient. With this new headset I'd have only two devices connected at a time. Maybe I could use the auxiliary in some clever way?