• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
This past year is when I started getting into using headsets for gaming. Im wondering what you guys do when a game, for example, Battlefront 2, has an option for surround sound. It specifically even says for Surround Sound headsets you can use that option. But I Dolby Atmos. So in situations like this do you use the surround sound option? Or just leave it as a regular headphones option? Not sure if it will double process because of Dolby Atmos or if it will work better with surround options.

adelante

Oct 27, 2017
Corsair just released the Virtuoso XT and they've added Dolby Atmos and bluetooth functionality, 2 features that was sorely lacking in their previous Virtuoso headsets.... which was a bummer cos I was really drawn to quality of their mics (hands down the best in a wireless headset). Couple of video reviews are out, anyone else planning to cop a pair of these headsets?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Corsair just released the Virtuoso XT and they've added Dolby Atmos and bluetooth functionality, 2 features that was sorely lacking in their previous Virtuoso headsets.... which was a bummer cos I was really drawn to quality of their mics (hands down the best in a wireless headset). Couple of video reviews are out, anyone else planning to cop a pair of these headsets?

Does it support 3D Audio wirelessly on PS5?

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
3D audio is mixed into a two-channel audio track that has binaural audio positioning data engineered into the mix where the positioning of objects is simulated to sound as they would if captured naturally by our ears (we only have two ears to hear with; the same as a stereo audio signal; but we can still judge the distance of objects with precision based on the direction and loudness of each object relative to our ears). So 3D audio can be played by any headphones set to accept and output stereo sound. This is meant to emulate binaural audio recordings that are captured by placing two microphones into the ears of a dummy head. When played back on headphones, it sounds like it would if you were there at the recording. So it is nothing that requires special equipment.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, quick help. I have a hyperx quadcast because of streaming and such. I have also the Cloud II headset and the A20 Astro's my wife surprised gifted me this past christmas.

I was really in love with the Virtuoso and I kinda want them, but, since I'm good on the microphone front, does it make any sense NOT to purchase a audio headset without mic?

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have EQ settings they like for the Penrose? I know they've been shared in here a bunch, but this thread is huge. Threadmarks would be super helpful.

The Audeze app recently updated and erased my EQs, so I just coincidentally jumped back in this thread to see what I posted. If you're still looking, here is what I found on Reddit months back and use myself:

0 (-1) (-1) (-3) (-3) (-3) (-2) (-1) 0 0

I posted them earlier in the thread and people seemed to be into it as well.

Dream-Visions posted a little less aggressive variant too:

0 (-1) (-1) (-2) (-3) (-4) (-3) (-2) (-2) (-1)

Between those 2, I imagine you'll come away with something pretty good!

Last edited:

MuckyBarnes

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
The Audeze app recently updated and erased my EQs, so I just coincidentally jumped back in this thread to see what I posted. If you're still looking, here is what I found on Reddit months back and use myself:

0 (-1) (-1) (-3) (-3) (-3) (-2) (-1) 0 0

I posted them earlier in the thread and people seemed to be into it as well.

Dream-Visions posted a little less aggressive variant too:

0 (-1) (-1) (-2) (-3) (-4) (-3) (-2) (-2) (-1)

Between those 2, I imagine you'll come away with something pretty good!
Awesome, much appreciated!

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed these for my Arctis 7P:
www.brainwavzaudio.com

Brainwavz GEL Gaming Earpads - Oval - Micro Suede with Memory Foam

Brainwavz Oval Gaming Earpads have been specially crafted for gamers. Playing for long hours with headphones can become unpleasant, from heat & moisture buildup, painful ears & fatigue. Our Gaming pads attack these problems head on, GEL to cool you down, Memory Foam for comfort & Micro Suede...

Much better than the ones they came with. It's a different texture and a firmer material but it prevents my ears from rubbing on the inside, watch uses to cause discomfort after an hour or so

They also seem to block outside noises better. I feel like I'm in my own little world

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Thinking about ordering the Penrose X to replace my Beoplay Portal's. They're great but the top end sound is relatively low compared to even the Official Xbox Headset.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I wish that the Sony WH-1000XM4's would work with PS4, PS5 & Switch in general. They're still great headphones otherwise, as I have a pair.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Couple things: 1. Does anyone have good Arctis 7X equalizer settings? People keep talking about how good the sucker is but to me I have real problems with bass (and less importantly but still annoying problems with sound/chat mix). I keep switching between these and my old A50s - the A50s seem to work just fine on console but better on PC as my MOBO has an optical out. the A7X is definitely the most versatile though.

2. Is the Penrose worth looking at as some sort of superior alternative to either of the above headsets? Thanks!

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Thinking about ordering the Penrose X to replace my Beoplay Portal's. They're great but the top end sound is relatively low compared to even the Official Xbox Headset.
The Penrose X are much louder than the Portal if that's what you are after. For me it's not a huge deal because I don't really max out the Portal volume but I could see it being an issue for some.

murmelbahn

Feb 20, 2018
Can anyone recommend a headset for ps5, pc and series x? The Penrose one gets a lot of love in this thread but for what i have seen no one of them supports all three platforms.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Can anyone recommend a headset for ps5, pc and series x? The Penrose one gets a lot of love in this thread but for what i have seen no one of them supports all three platforms.
The SteelSeries 7x or Penrose X are the only two (wireless) options that I'm aware of. The Penrose is roughly twice the cost but most would agree sounds better, if potentially at the expense of lesser comfort (a personal matter), battery life and connectivity.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
On Series X how do I make it so that audio comes only out of my headset and not my speaker as well while using Atmos? I don't want to have to turn my speaker system all the way down every time I wear headphones while gaming on the Series X.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
On Series X how do I make it so that audio comes only out of my headset and not my speaker as well while using Atmos? I don't want to have to turn my speaker system all the way down every time I wear headphones while gaming on the Series X.
You can't. You will need to mute the volume on your external speakers to not have it playing from both.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
You can't. You will need to mute the volume on your external speakers to not have it playing from both.

Thanks. Gotta say the Xbox headphone setup process has been way more cumbersome than doing it on PS5. The fact that can't automatically mute the speakers when the headset is connected is just bonkers to me.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up the Corsair Virtuoso and so far the experience has been amazing on PS5 (and PC). I was just curious to see if anyone had any comparisons to share regarding its performance compared to 3d audio supported headsets like the Pulse and 7p. Specifically footsteps and opponent direction in MP titles.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone with a Bluetooth headset, even better if you're using the Audeze Penrose X but it probably applies to other Bluetooth headsets, do you have to manually disconnect it from the device it's connected to before connecting to a different device?

I like to jump between Bluetooth devices and it's tedious to keep doing it this way.

Example: I have it connected to my PC's Bluetooth, but when my PC's off, I'd like to connect it to my phone without having to turn my PC on to disconnect it.

I've done this before so it does work, but is there a another way to do this? It's not consistent.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Yep, and it looks like anything wireless supports the 3D as well now (Remember some said it was only when connected to the controller).

It's always worked with headsets with usb dongles for wireless connections. Thing the only issue was with wireless headsets that had their own dock or whatever that got audio via a hdmi or optical connection. I've had the Steelseries Arctis 7x since near console launch and always had 3D audio and could do the menu test and adjustment etc.

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
For anyone with a Bluetooth headset, even better if you're using the Audeze Penrose X but it probably applies to other Bluetooth headsets, do you have to manually disconnect it from the device it's connected to before connecting to a different device?

I like to jump between Bluetooth devices and it's tedious to keep doing it this way.

Example: I have it connected to my PC's Bluetooth, but when my PC's off, I'd like to connect it to my phone without having to turn my PC on to disconnect it.

I've done this before so it does work, but is there a another way to do this? It's not consistent.

For the Audeze Penrose X, I have to unpair it from a device before I can pair it to another device. It's a pain in the ass so I rarely use it on that headset.

However I use the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless and it is connected to multiple devices and moves between them without any issues. So it doesn't appear to be a standard, with how headsets support it.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Arctis 7 just broke. Bought it in Jan this year. Looks like Steelseries support is shit too. No customer support line. This is going to be fun.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia

I have the regular Penrose and can confirm I have manually disconnect from a device before I can connect to another using Bluetooth.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
It's bugged for me for years, so at this point I assume it's not something they are going to change.

This. I love my Xbox headset, but having to manually mute the TV/ARC is annoying. Since I have an LG there's always a persistent MUTE notification on screen if I just straight up hit the mute button or ask Google to mute the bar. So whenever I play at night or a multiplayer game I have to hammer down the volume button. Other than that I really like the headset.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I use an Arctis 9x for the Series X and PC and a Logtiech G935 for the PS5. No complaints on either front.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the Audeze Penrose X, I have to unpair it from a device before I can pair it to another device. It's a pain in the ass so I rarely use it on that headset.

However I use the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless and it is connected to multiple devices and moves between them without any issues. So it doesn't appear to be a standard, with how headsets support it.
I have the regular Penrose and can confirm I have manually disconnect from a device before I can connect to another using Bluetooth.
Gotcha. That's unfortunate, is it something that can be changed in a firmware update?

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Era, I have a Sony Platinum headset from the PS4 days and a Steel Series X7. How does this work on PS5 in terms of 3D audio. If using my Platinum headset on say a game like The last of us part 2 I used to have the 3D audio button that's on the headset itself set to on. But now there is that and and the 3D audio toggle on the console settings themselves and in the game also. Is this like over processing the audio?

I know during my first run through of the last of us part 2 when I turned the 3D audio switch on the Platinums the game detected that and switched the settings in game accordingly. But how does that work now if I were to use the 7Xs? Does the console setting make it 3D? Is it just as good? I just don't want to accidentally over process the sound. I just remember on the PS4 you needed a 3D audio headset to actually get 3D audio but that changed with the PS5 I guess? But the last of us part 2 is technically a PS4 game so? Sorry this turned really long. I'm just confused.

B-Dex

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Hey Era, I have a Sony Platinum headset from the PS4 days and a Steel Series X7. How does this work on PS5 in terms of 3D audio. If using my Platinum headset on say a game like The last of us part 2 I used to have the 3D audio button that's on the headset itself set to on. But now there is that and and the 3D audio toggle on the console settings themselves and in the game also. Is this like over processing the audio?

I know during my first run through of the last of us part 2 when I turned the 3D audio switch on the Platinums the game detected that and switched the settings in game accordingly. But how does that work now if I were to use the 7Xs? Does the console setting make it 3D? Is it just as good? I just don't want to accidentally over process the sound. I just remember on the PS4 you needed a 3D audio headset to actually get 3D audio but that changed with the PS5 I guess? But the last of us part 2 is technically a PS4 game so? Sorry this turned really long. I'm just confused.

I would assume leave the setting on the headset off because the 3D audio works with any stereo headset now.

Sir Chimpanzi

Nov 1, 2017
I am considering to purchase Audeze Penrose X headset, but I have doubts because there is quite a lot negative comments around the web especially regarding the dongle connection stability and some sort weird popping occurring with the headset. Have people on this forum encountered such issues with the mentioned headset?