• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Also the mic is detachable.
Yeah and I even replaced my mic with a cheaper one from a turtle beach headset I used to have because the frequency response is tighter and it isn't as bassy lol

edit: I see Audeze is testing a firmware that improves mic quality so hopefully I can switch back sometime in the future (in the "next couple of weeks")

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
You can do wired + mic. You cannot do aux + a wireless mode simultaneously though (it has wireless, bt+wireless, and aux as the only modes). I think they're going to add bt alone in a future update, hopefully.

You can do wired mic and wireless earpieces.

If you don't care about the wire, it gives you the best combination of quality, since the mic has a better frequency response when wired.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Has anyone tried using the 7X wirless with an iPhone? Curious what happens if you get a lightning to usb c adapter and plug in the Arctis 7X dongle.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
7X is microusb =////////////////// (wish i knew before buying- assumed everything from 2020/21 would be usb c)
Plenty of devices are still coming out with micro USB ports and I fail to see why it is such a large deal to some people. At least they aren't as bad as lighting cables, which have a lifespan of approximately six months if my family is any indication.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It must have been answered a thousand times over, but is there a headset solution that works SEAMLESSLY with both new consoles?

I was looking into the 7X but I don't want to be switching the dongle from a console to another each time I want to use it.

(I'm open to purchasing a second dongle/base if it works for any headset)

I would have loved to get the new Xbox one but I don't think it can work on PS5.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being snarky, but I don't understand what the microusb port has to do with what I was asking.

I thought you meant you wanted a direct connection between the headset and the phone. Didn't think the iphone could/would support a wireless device over usb c.

Plenty of devices are still coming out with micro USB ports and I fail to see why it is such a large deal to some people. At least they aren't as bad as lighting cables, which have a lifespan of approximately six months if my family is any indication.

Because most of my devices are USB C, I literally only have the 7x as the only device still using micro usb so its annoying to have a charger taking up a socket just for it. If I had a iphone I would have preferred the lightning connector, at least its got a reversible port.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I thought you meant you wanted a direct connection between the headset and the phone. Didn't think the iphone could/would support a wireless device over usb c.

Because most of my devices are USB C, I literally only have the 7x as the only device still using micro usb so its annoying to have a charger taking up a socket just for it. If I had a iphone I would have preferred the lightning connector, at least its got a reversible port.

Ah, ok. For wired connection with iPhone I can just plug in the 7x wired cable and then use lightning to 3.5mm adapter. No issues.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
It must have been answered a thousand times over, but is there a headset solution that works SEAMLESSLY with both new consoles?

I was looking into the 7X but I don't want to be switching the dongle from a console to another each time I want to use it.

(I'm open to purchasing a second dongle/base if it works for any headset)

I would have loved to get the new Xbox one but I don't think it can work on PS5.
Seamlessly? No. Even if you had multiple dongles you'd have to re-pair them to switch consoles which would be a bigger PITA than moving the dongle since you'd need to press the recessed sync button on the dongle with a sim ejector tool or whatever.

Most of the xbox usb dongles need you to toggle a switch to switch it into xbox mode so you wouldn't be able to get away with a usb hub either.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody here used a Modmic attachment on regular headphones? Seems a little expensive, but could be another avenue to look at.

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
Can those with the penrose comment on the range to expect when connecting with Bluetooth or with the USB dongle? I'm ready to drop cash for it, but I often don't sit very close to my TV, and sometimes like to walk around my apartment while listening to music on my phone, so the range is definitely important.

I'm seeing inconsistent reviews on amazon about this.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Can those with the penrose comment on the range to expect when connecting with Bluetooth or with the USB dongle? I'm ready to drop cash for it, but I often don't sit very close to my TV, and sometimes like to walk around my apartment while listening to music on my phone, so the range is definitely important.

It's going to depend on how congested the 2.4GHz frequency is in your apartment (and potentially your neighbours' as well).

For me, I can walk to the fridge when using the PS5 with no issues, but that's only about 6m. I don't really walk away from the PS5 when I'm playing it, except to go to the fridge. If I go to the bathroom I take my headset off.

In terms of walking around listening to music on my phone, I do that constantly, but my phone is in my pocket.

Oct 29, 2017
So what do you guys recommend, plugging the headset in USB for better sound? What would ideally be the best setup (using a DAC on PS5, if so which one, with which headset for a premium experience?).

Personally I feel like this audio being compressed via the controller isn't that big a deal at all to the vast majority of people.

Maybe I have rubbish ears but I don't really notice any difference between using wired headphones and using the likes of the 7X, to the point where I find wired controllers sounded much better.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
Personally I feel like this audio being compressed via the controller isn't that big a deal at all to the vast majority of people.

Maybe I have rubbish ears but I don't really notice any difference between using wired headphones and using the likes of the 7X, to the point where I find wired controllers sounded much better.

Think the question, unless you get the audeeze, is "What is better, Compressed wired headphones or uncompressed but not great headphones. ". Like I don't mind my tweaked eq Xbox headset. It's does the job and it's great for what I wanted. But it doesn't sound as good as my 598s even over the controller. I'm under the impression the 7x isn't much better.

Gif

Dec 20, 2019
What's the update do? I plugged in mine once to change the eq to be more punchy. Swear the side tone changed some how.

Sorry, I have no idea what the update does, I just saw that people had done it, so thought it would probs be something worth doing.

I unfortunately haven't found out how to update it.

Although I haven't tried to connect it back to my PC, have a load of exams atm so am not touching my xbox :(

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
They quietly cancelled my order. Had a refund on the CC but the order is still open.

Wouldn't buy from them direct again and no one else carries the 7x up in Canada. So I just got the Xbox headset instead. Sucks that it won't work with the ps5 but I expect 90%+ of my MP gaming will be on Xbox anyways. So I'll save 60 bucks and give up PS compatibility.

This sucks. I ordered from them a week ago and still just have "preparing for shipment." I hate that nowhere seems to sell the 7x besides their store directly. They seem woefully unable to meet demand even when the item is "in stock."

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
You only need to use the cable when charging the headphones so you would rarely need to have anything using up a socket (for which I'm sure you plenty around your home anyways). I must have at least a dozen devices that still use micro USB so it makes zero difference to me what cable it uses.

Sure, it would great to have everything using USB-C so that you only ever need to worry about one type of cable, but we are nowhere near that level of uniformity yet.

Oct 27, 2017

The audio is so compressed

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Well if you are using low end headphones, through a controller and through usb might be negligible. But as you go up in sound quality, the bigger the difference you'll notice. So if you plan on spending 200+ dollars on a headset, don't hamstring high end tech by the controller.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Would you mind recommending a better setup?
You could do USB to DAC to wired headphones. Or optical out from TV to DAC. Or HDMI audio splitter of some sort to DAC.

None of this would get you a MIC. Not sure if you can just do USB mic on the consoles, never tried personally.

I did run optical out from my TV to a Schiit stack (basic one) to HD6xx headphones. Sure they sounded much better vs 7x but the latter is so convenient. At the end, the better audio setup sits by my PC and I just use the headset. If I am playing PC to my TV, I just plugin the 7x USB dongle in smart manner.

I kind of sometimes wish I went Audeze route, but at same time I did save cool $150.

So yeah, if you have multiple consoles, choices are fairly limited.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually glad I went with a Fidelio X2HR + mic setup for my PC/PS5. Though not wireless, the audio is great (and when plugged through the PS5 Controller, I can still technically tie-up the cable and move around).

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually glad I went with a Fidelio X2HR + mic setup for my PC/PS5. Though not wireless, the audio is great (and when plugged through the PS5 Controller, I can still technically tie-up the cable and move around).

Yep. I've currently got X2HR's, Meze 99 Classics and Sennheiser 58X's and I'd choose plugging any of those into the controller over the 7X that I had.

I'm sure the audio is compressed but I feel to the vast majority of people, they just wouldn't notice and the sound will be pretty good anyway.

Unless you're an audiophile, controller sound is more than good enough in my opinion. And obviously comes with benefits like not having to mess with dongles, a different headset for different consoles, cables to amps/DAC's and out to your headphones etc. As someone with kids and my consoles in the living room, running a cable across the room isn't an option really. And to my ears, controller sound does a good job.

Also maybe it's just me again, but I tend to play for fun rather than competitiveness. I'm not looking to analyse game audio, I'm listening for fun. Like listening to music, I'm not someone who listens to music analytically so a lot of these neutral headphones just aren't for me.

Anyway, TLDR, people are different and controller audio is more than good enough for lots of people 😁

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yep. I've currently got X2HR's, Meze 99 Classics and Sennheiser 58X's and I'd choose plugging any of those into the controller over the 7X that I had.

I'm sure the audio is compressed but I feel to the vast majority of people, they just wouldn't notice and the sound will be pretty good anyway.

Unless you're an audiophile, controller sound is more than good enough in my opinion. And obviously comes with benefits like not having to mess with dongles, a different headset for different consoles, cables to amps/DAC's and out to your headphones etc. As someone with kids and my consoles in the living room, running a cable across the room isn't an option really. And to my ears, controller sound does a good job.

Also maybe it's just me again, but I tend to play for fun rather than competitiveness. I'm not looking to analyse game audio, I'm listening for fun. Like listening to music, I'm not someone who listens to music analytically so a lot of these neutral headphones just aren't for me.

Anyway, TLDR, people are different and controller audio is more than good enough for lots of people 😁
Yeah, if audio isn't important to you then anything will be ok and you should save your money.

The discussion about compressed audio from the controller started with a question about what to use with the controller if money was no object. If money is no object then you don't want to be using the controller port at all.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, if audio isn't important to you then anything will be ok and you should save your money.

The discussion about compressed audio from the controller started with a question about what to use with the controller if money was no object. If money is no object then you don't want to be using the controller port at all.

Hmm in a way I'd say that's fair, but I guess there's more to it, like logistics with cabling etc.

I've not tried them myself but I guess the Penrose is probably the best option is money is no object then. I know you like them and I've been close to buying them myself at times. But I've seen so many posts about issues with them that I've been hesitant to spend so much on a headset with a bit of a reputation for problems. But on the other hand, if money is no issue then ... might as well give them a go!

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You only need to use the cable when charging the headphones so you would rarely need to have anything using up a socket (for which I'm sure you plenty around your home anyways). I must have at least a dozen devices that still use micro USB so it makes zero difference to me what cable it uses.

Sure, it would great to have everything using USB-C so that you only ever need to worry about one type of cable, but we are nowhere near that level of uniformity yet.
I don't plug/unplug cables/chargers, I have a bad back /spine issues, but even if I Could I wouldn't since that's just as annoying as having the cable for a single device plugged in all the time.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't plug/unplug cables/chargers, I have a bad back /spine issues, but even if I Could I wouldn't since that's just as annoying as having the cable for a single device plugged in all the time.

You might want to look into something like this:

960x0.jpg

I've pretty much bought tips for everything that I need to charge so that I can have a single cable that any device can plug into. Plus since it's magnetic, it makes it way easier to plug in and unplug with very little effort since for the most part as long as you're in the general area, it just connects itself to it. No need to fiddle around with lining it up to the port at all.

eek

Oct 26, 2017

My first dongle was bad. Like 5ft max. I got a replacement and now the range goes out to maybe 15-18ft before it starts getting rough. Bluetooth is about double that (hard to test because my house has a lot of walls)

It's going to depend on how much interference you have. My router is in the middle of my house and I have a ton of 2.4ghz devices for home automation so it's pretty noisy. The Penrose has the worst distance between the 3 wireless headsets I've tried though (7x, astro a50)

For my use-cases it works for me because I only sit about 10ft from the tv and 1.5ft from the hub I plug it into by my PC so it works OK.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I sit about 12 feet from the dongle and have only had it drop a couple of times. Switch and PS5. (No walls or entertainment center doors or anything like that)

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
So, the good news is that I got my 7x despite them never updating the status from "preparing for shipment" or sending me a tracking number.

The bad news is that I can't get the SteelSeries Engine software to work on either of my computers (both macs) despite allowing the software to run via my system preferences. On one computer, the software continual indicates that it's searching. On the other computer, it just doesn't recognize that it's plugged in at all.

Without being able to tweak the EQ, I feel like most of the pros of this headset are kind of lost on me. Has anyone else run into this? I don't suppose there's some 3rd party software I could use to tweak the EQ? I certainly can't do it on my Series x, at least via the built in UI.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
So, the good news is that I got my 7x despite them never updating the status from "preparing for shipment" or sending me a tracking number.

The bad news is that I can't get the SteelSeries Engine software to work on either of my computers (both macs) despite allowing the software to run via my system preferences. On one computer, the software continual indicates that it's searching. On the other computer, it just doesn't recognize that it's plugged in at all.

Without being able to tweak the EQ, I feel like most of the pros of this headset are kind of lost on me. Has anyone else run into this? I don't suppose there's some 3rd party software I could use to tweak the EQ? I certainly can't do it on my Series x, at least via the built in UI.
When you say plugged in, you mean the dongle is plugged in and you have it on wireless on the computer right, not wired?

That's how the 7p works... at first I thought I had to plug the headset in wired to the computer for the Steelseries engine but it works just like you would plug the dongle in on the console

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
When you say plugged in, you mean the dongle is plugged in and you have it on wireless on the computer right, not wired?

That's how the 7p works... at first I thought I had to plug the headset in wired to the computer for the Steelseries engine but it works just like you would plug the dongle in on the console

After my post, I realized I was supposed to use the dongle, but it still didn't work. Then I realized there was a switch on the dongle I needed to set to USB instead of Xbox, so now it works. Thanks for the response, though! I was getting pretty frustrated.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
After my post, I realized I was supposed to use the dongle, but it still didn't work. Then I realized there was a switch on the dongle I needed to set to USB instead of Xbox, so now it works. Thanks for the response, though! I was getting pretty frustrated.

Yeah they don't make it clear you need to use the wireless adapter and set it to usb.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Anyone here has a Astro mixamp on PS5?
I got one yesterday, plugged it on my console through usb, and to my soundbar through optical. I have sound but no dolby headphone, nor any preset available. The amp device lights stay red. I think I've got something wrong with my setup... but it looks like I tried everything.

Is it a known limitation: is the mixamp worthless without the (out of stock and not HDMI 2.1) adapter?

I tried it with a Sennheiser HD555, if it has any incidence.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

First apt, 5 ft.
Current apt, about 15 ft.
Parents home, 15-20 ft

First apt had a shit ton of interference. Penrose has the most sensitive usb dongle I've used, but it works perfectly for my current setup.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder just how much compression there is with the controller jack especially with the Xbox controller. I've done a lot of research into wireless headsets here, on Reddit and headfi. I've seen posts where people say they prefer their wired sennheiser's (hd560 / pc38x and above models) over something like a Penrose X.

Most people are adding processing with the Atmos or DTS X apps anyway.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I forgot I had an optical port on my samsung one connect box. Plugging the Mixamp on it made it work and the result is satisfying, definitely a gain over the dual sense amp.

Now I wonder what headphones would be a big upgrade with this Astro mixamp vs my Sennheiser HD555. Any idea?

Last edited:

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Got my Penrose X now. They sit very tight on my head but I think they will loosen up after some time. The holder on top isn't doing much work and feels hard in the middle of my head. Let's see if I'll buy that third party or if it will get better.
Had some disconnecting problems at start but I think it was due to the Penrose was set to Bluetooth to Xbox rather than connect to the USB dongle. I pressed the button to Wireless mode and now I'm not getting any connecting issues anymore. Little bit louder sound and quality as well I noticed.

Last edited:

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Hello

Thanks for helping us out with this beta test! We're reaching out to the community for feedback to make sure we can make the Penrose and all of our products the best they can be, and are excited about the changes coming for the Penrose.

This beta firmware will be available via the Audeze HQ app for a very limited time window.

At 4PM PDT on Monday 3/29, the beta firmware will available on the "settings" tab of the software for about 20 minutes. Make sure that you've installed the latest version of HQ and have your Penrose charged up and plugged in via USB.

If you do not see the firmware update available at the specified time, close HQ and reopen and it should become available.

We're unable to leave this window open for long, so we're not able to make special accommodations to install this firmware for users who aren't able to make it during the available window. If you're not able to make it during the specified time, we are hoping to finalize this build and have it available for wide release in the next 1-2 weeks or so depending on the feedback we get from this beta.

Once you've been able to give the new firmware a test, we ask that you reply to a short survey here: https://forms.gle/rpKeC5xZMyyUDWeDA

This firmware makes a few changes and adds a lot of new functionality:

- Makes several improvements to the mic quality and clarity over wireless.
- Adds an on-the-fly sidetone on/off functionality to the headphones by pressing in and holding the mic wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Adds an on-the-fly EQ preset toggle that will cycle through the 5 presets in memory by holding in the volume wheel for ~3 seconds.
- Fixes AAC support for Bluetooth.
- Adds a volume mix function for simultaneous BT/wireless connections. This can be used to adjust the relative levels on the fly while in Bluetooth mode by performing a "click and scroll" of the headphone volume wheel (click in once and then scroll up or down to your preferred mix).

As this firmware is still a beta, there are a few things yet to be implemented (they'll be added in the final build) and a small number of known bugs. We are aware of these issues and fixes are in the works:

- No voice cues yet for the new functionalities (sidetone on/off, EQ presets)
- There is a bug with the sidetone toggle that will disrupt function of the headphones if it's toggled on/off in Audeze HQ or the HQ app for Android after using the headphone control to toggle it on/off. This can be resolved by holding in the mic wheel as you toggle the sidetone function in HQ until you hear the sidetone turning on and off again.
- The HQ UI currently does not properly update when toggling sidetone on/off or changing EQ presets. Restarting HQ will show the currently active settings.

If you have any more specific questions or other feedback that is not covered on the survey, or have any trouble or need help with the new features you can reply directly to this email as well. Thank you very much for your help, and happy listening!

FYI for Penrose people. Beta firmware dropping tomorrow for 20 mins at 4pm PDT 👀

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Got my Penrose X now. They sit very tight on my head but I think they will loosen up after some time. The holder on top isn't doing much work and feels hard in the middle of my head. Let's see if I'll buy that third party or if it will get better.
Had some disconnecting problems at start but I think it was due to the Penrose was set to Bluetooth to Xbox rather than connect to the USB dongle. I pressed the button to Wireless mode and now I'm not getting any connecting issues anymore. Little bit louder sound and quality as well I noticed.
Update of my Penrose X after six days of use with a couple of hours everyday.
They feel good now over my ears. The headband isn't hurting if I've them on the right position on my head.
Sound wise I'm very happy when I use them with DTS app on Xbox and set the app config to Spacious sound. Sounds like I'm hearing from a sound system. Very nice!
Haven't touched anything in the EQ in the app as they sound great with the DTS app and Spacious.

Battery time of 15 hours is a pity. I wish they would last minimum 25 hours instead.
Leather on the cups is not a thing for me. I don't get hot ears.

Very satisfied overall actually. I do not miss my Rig 800 Lx.
The headset from BO Portal looks extremely good however. I'm watching them closely and how they perform to these.