• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Is anybody else having issues updating the 7X?

Connected the headset and dongle to the computer and downloaded the recommend program.

I was told the update option would just pop up but nothing happened? Couldn't find any options to find the update manually?

Ive never updated it and it's definitely below the newest firmware (1.4 or whatever?)

Any advice Era ?

What's the update do? I plugged in mine once to change the eq to be more punchy. Swear the side tone changed some how.

Rizzy13

Oct 25, 2020
Any update on a PS5 headset that allows you to controll voice chat volume and game sound volume directly from the headset?

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Any update on a PS5 headset that allows you to controll voice chat volume and game sound volume directly from the headset?

I'm assuming the Turtle Beach 700 Stealth Gen 2 should. I just have the Pulse headset for my PS5, but I picked the TB's up for my Xbox because I was looking for something now, rather than trying to find a pair of the Arctis. Looks to be just the same, and has the chat volume wheel as well.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
A few week ago my steel series wired pro's right ear cup stopped working so I went with the razer v2 black shark pro and I am pretty happy with it.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the 7x adapter make all audio play through the headphones even when the headphones aren't on, on the ps5 for anyone else. Both the pulse and the audeze didn't do this.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
So after a few weeks using the Penrose X, I've come to the conclusion that they're incredibly uncomfortable. In particular the top headband is just not padded enough, after even half an hour of use the top of my head is sore. They also clamp very tight on my ears. I really need some suggestions for alleviating these problems because it's essentially unusable. For a $500 aud headset it's pretty disappointing.

I put some Dekoni Nuggets on mine, and it helps with both the top band and clamping force.

For the clamping force, simply stretching the band with your hands seems pretty effective too, though.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
What firmware version is everybody's Arctis 7x on? I'm on 1.2.0.0, and I've left it idling on my PC with SteelSeries Engine 3 running for quite a while, and it's never updated.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
So after a few weeks using the Penrose X, I've come to the conclusion that they're incredibly uncomfortable. In particular the top headband is just not padded enough, after even half an hour of use the top of my head is sore. They also clamp very tight on my ears. I really need some suggestions for alleviating these problems because it's essentially unusable. For a $500 aud headset it's pretty disappointing.

I had the clamping force issue as well, I managed to stretch them out overnight by putting them around a larger object. The headband is quite strong and won't snap at all. After some stretching they are perfect for me now 1 month later, zero issues.

Rizzy13

Oct 25, 2020
Sony doesn't allow it, except for their own headsets. Maybe they'll change their mind one day... but probably not.
No third party headsets allow for chat volume mix on PS5 unfortunately
Aw damn. I had the Skullcandy PLYR1's since like 2014 for my PS4 and they were amazing with that feature. Super convenient, however they were hooked up via optical cable. I'm still using the same headset with PS5, but just wirelessly through USB and that feature doesn't work anymore.

Hopefully they allow it soon and more headsets come out with these settings.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
A shame that its sold out everywhere.
If you set Walmart and Steelseries sites for notifications, there are usually drops couple times a month. I think B&H might have them as well, but might be thinking about Audeze. Everything is basically shit as far as availability goes.

Hell, shipping containers from China/Asia now cost like 5-10x to get over to NA/EU. Plus chip shortage. It's all a mess.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
No third party headsets allow for chat volume mix on PS5 unfortunately

You can do it with a wired headset.

I use my astro mixamp to mix chat/game audio, connected to an optical audio extractor from the monitor.

It comes with some limitations though, you can't do hdmi 2.1 like that.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
You can do it with a wired headset.

I use my astro mixamp to mix chat/game audio, connected to an optical audio extractor from the monitor.

It comes with some limitations though, you can't do hdmi 2.1 like that.
Yeah for sure. I mostly meant the newer wireless headsets but yeah the old ones that do audio via optical will work if you're willing to add equipment to get it working with new consoles.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, slightly disappointed that the audio can't be set to automatically mute the HDMI audio output when using the Xbox Wireless Headset.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Hmm, slightly disappointed that the audio can't be set to automatically mute the HDMI audio output when using the Xbox Wireless Headset.
Yeah, that's one feature I'd like Microsoft to add to the Xbox (without requiring the official headset). Having to mute or lower my receiver audio is an annoying thing about using headsets on Xbox. It's not a huge deal, but would be a welcome QoL feature to add (and something that should be relatively simple to add to the system settings).

Oct 29, 2017
If you set Walmart and Steelseries sites for notifications, there are usually drops couple times a month. I think B&H might have them as well, but might be thinking about Audeze. Everything is basically shit as far as availability goes.

Hell, shipping containers from China/Asia now cost like 5-10x to get over to NA/EU. Plus chip shortage. It's all a mess.
Good call. I followed both when you posted this and I got an alert today from steel series. They will be here next Thursday or Friday. Thanks for the tip. Now I can combine 4 different wired headphone situations into one which is super exciting. I can clean up a bit more clutter.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Good call. I followed both when you posted this and I got an alert today from steel series. They will be here next Thursday or Friday. Thanks for the tip. Now I can combine 4 different wired headphone situations into one which is super exciting. I can clean up a bit more clutter.
Good to hear! Yeah, that's what I use it for, basically use it on both PS5/XSX and even on work PC as headset :). Mind you, sound is not nearly as good as say my HD6xx from the schiit stack, but it is super usable.

Don't forget to check for update after installing their software on PC and play around with equalizer. Once you save that, it will persist to consoles.

Oct 29, 2017
Good to hear! Yeah, that's what I use it for, basically use it on both PS5/XSX and even on work PC as headset :). Mind you, sound is not nearly as good as say my HD6xx from the schiit stack, but it is super usable.

Don't forget to check for update after installing their software on PC and play around with equalizer. Once you save that, it will persist to consoles.
It'll be a PC/Mac mini, switch and series s headset for me lol. My airpods pro are for everything else. That's great to hear about the persistent profile, thanks again!

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020

I hope you have better luck than me. I ordered the 7x February 25th and my order is still preparing to ship. Seems their system goofed up good.

Lots of people are in the same boat. Either they randomly arrive with no shipping notification or your order gets randomly canceled. Opening a support ticket gets you a general copy paste after days of waiting. Probably one of the worst online companies I've dealt with.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I hope you have better luck than me. I ordered the 7x February 25th and my order is still preparing to ship. Seems their system goofed up good.

Lots of people are in the same boat. Either they randomly arrive with no shipping notification or your order gets randomly canceled. Opening a support ticket gets you a general copy paste after days of waiting. Probably one of the worst online companies I've dealt with.
Huh, that sounds terrible. To be fair, I ordered from Walmart, but there were other folks who did order directly.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
Huh, that sounds terrible. To be fair, I ordered from Walmart, but there were other folks who did order directly.

Yah not my favourite shopping experience. Luckily it's just a headset and I can wait and see what happens. I'm more just annoyed that I don't know if I should be picking up an Xbox one or not. It looks pretty decent. I like the fact that the 7x works on both consoles but if I lose PS compatibility so be it. The Xbox is my main social system anyways so I can use my wired headphones into the controller for ps5.

But yah buyer beware for the steelseries website direct.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Question for those who have the Pulse 3D and the new Wireless Xbox Headset...how does the sound quality and build quality compare between the two?

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping there are some high end wireless headphones coMing out this year.

I'm looking to replace my audiotechnica 50s and sennhiser 555s and sennhiser 630vbs.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone familiar with the Sennhiser PC38X? Looking to replace my set now that I finally got my PS5 I've recently been recommended to pick up either a pair of these or the Arctis 7ps not quite sure which way I'm leaning right now.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Is it normal for Steelseries to not ship your headset immediately after ordering it? I've already reached out to them and am awaiting a response, but I ordered it a few days back and am still waiting for the 7x to actually ship despite it being in stock when I ordered it.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I've started looking into this with some specific criteria and I've been having some frustrating issues. I am looking specifically for a headset with the following:

Bluetooth
Retractable/Detachable microphone
Ability to use wired connection
Use on both Xbox and Playstation

The real sticking points here appear to be the last two. I looked at the high-end SteelSeries that everyone talks about, but they seem to be segregated by system environment. Even the super high end ones, if they have a wired connection to be able to hook up to a controller, it stops the microphone from working! This seems insane to me that even headsets are console specific. After doing some Googling, I found the older Arctis 3 Bluetooth which aren't wireless for connection to console, but are at least console agnostic and have Bluetooth so I could use them with my phone.

Are there any other headsets out there that meet that criteria? I really would prefer to use these as wireless headphones for my cell phone and not have mic sticking out when I'm out and about (obviously thinking post-pandemic here).

Oct 29, 2017

I opened a ticket with them last night as delivery was supposed to be today and the order hadn't been updated. FedEx stopped by at 10 am this morning and dropped them off. Seems like they have a couple of issues. I expect to hear back about my case in a few weeks lol. There should be a way to close the case on the user's side.

Anyways I haven't used them much yet, but they seem comfy and work well with the Switch.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I opened a ticket with them last night as delivery was supposed to be today and the order hadn't been updated. FedEx stopped by at 10 am this morning and dropped them off. Seems like they have a couple of issues. I expect to hear back about my case in a few weeks lol. There should be a way to close the case on the user's side.

Anyways I haven't used them much yet, but they seem comfy and work well with the Switch.

They quietly cancelled my order. Had a refund on the CC but the order is still open.

Wouldn't buy from them direct again and no one else carries the 7x up in Canada. So I just got the Xbox headset instead. Sucks that it won't work with the ps5 but I expect 90%+ of my MP gaming will be on Xbox anyways. So I'll save 60 bucks and give up PS compatibility.

Oct 29, 2017
They quietly cancelled my order. Had a refund on the CC but the order is still open.

Wouldn't buy from them direct again and no one else carries the 7x up in Canada. So I just got the Xbox headset instead. Sucks that it won't work with the ps5 but I expect 90%+ of my MP gaming will be on Xbox anyways. So I'll save 60 bucks and give up PS compatibility.
Thats a damn bummer, sorry to hear that. I guess I got lucky.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, I've started looking into this with some specific criteria and I've been having some frustrating issues. I am looking specifically for a headset with the following:

Bluetooth
Retractable/Detachable microphone
Ability to use wired connection
Use on both Xbox and Playstation

The real sticking points here appear to be the last two. I looked at the high-end SteelSeries that everyone talks about, but they seem to be segregated by system environment. Even the super high end ones, if they have a wired connection to be able to hook up to a controller, it stops the microphone from working! This seems insane to me that even headsets are console specific. After doing some Googling, I found the older Arctis 3 Bluetooth which aren't wireless for connection to console, but are at least console agnostic and have Bluetooth so I could use them with my phone.

Are there any other headsets out there that meet that criteria? I really would prefer to use these as wireless headphones for my cell phone and not have mic sticking out when I'm out and about (obviously thinking post-pandemic here).
Pretty sure Audeze penrose X meet all these criteria. The wireless dongle has a toggle for Xbox/PC so I'd assume the PC wireless connection would work for PS5 too, but I'm not 100% sure about that

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Audeze penrose X meet all these criteria. The wireless dongle has a toggle for Xbox/PC so I'd assume the PC wireless connection would work for PS5 too, but I'm not 100% sure about that

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll take a look. I was definitely starting to lose it there thinking that the combination I wanted was impossible lol.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll take a look. I was definitely starting to lose it there thinking that the combination I wanted was impossible lol.
I can't see the connections on the earcups on any pictures though so the only thing that might not work is wired and mic at the same time. You can always buy an aux cable with a mic if you need to use them wired with a mic though

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see the connections on the earcups on any pictures though so the only thing that might not work is wired and mic at the same time. You can always buy an aux cable with a mic if you need to use them wired with a mic though
You can do wired + mic. You cannot do aux + a wireless mode simultaneously though (it has wireless, bt+wireless, and aux as the only modes). I think they're going to add bt alone in a future update, hopefully.