• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Markew

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't have to be a pillow but you pretty much just fold a pillow in half and have it stretch out the headset. You can use anything though. Can be a stack of books or something similar. Leave for a day or so.

K2BIVR662C344DCPP5P6UWH2HE.jpg

I'm using Geekria's that I grabbed from Amazon. Lets you just snap the ends together with buttons. It was a little tight getting them to snap together so if there's a bigger size one on Amazon, maybe try that. There's a bunch of others from different brands so look around and go with what might work best. Can always return stuff with Amazon.

Thanks for the idea, going to try maybe that top one. Also, did you paint the green band around yours? Or if there a model in that color? I've been using my Penrose X for about a week and I love just about everything about it... that green is just plain ugly though.

Music is insane with these things. I've never heard anything like it.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the idea, going to try maybe that top one. Also, did you paint the green band around yours? Or if there a model in that color? I've been using my Penrose X for about a week and I love just about everything about it... that green is just plain ugly though.

Music is insane with these things. I've never heard anything like it.
I hate the green too, especially on video calls lol. I wrapped mine with some vinyl (kind of annoying because the pads don't come off the plastic piece) but the plastic piece pops off easily enough.

Y7KHKYL.png

It's also the same ear pads as Mobius ear pads so you can buy carbon/copper/blue ones for $30 if you want to go that route https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius-standard-ear-pad-replacement-kit?variant=29832599863340

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I feel like the side tone dramatically after after changing the eq profile on 7x. All I did d switch to the setting with more bass.

And if I pitch my voice a certain way I get buzzing in my headset.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
I'm looking to get a new headset for my Series X.

Does anyone know if there are any headsets that use either AA or AAA batteries?

I have a ton of them as rechargeables and would like to use them over a built-in battery.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking to get a new headset for my Series X.

Does anyone know if there are any headsets that use either AA or AAA batteries?

I have a ton of them as rechargeables and would like to use them over a built-in battery.
Do they even have headsets that use AA/AAA anymore? Seems like it'd be way too heavy and uncomfortable. The batteries in wireless headsets are tiny right now

rClHu6xXlRpe3bLN.medium

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Received my Penrose X today and initial impressions are that the clamping is quite a bit stronger than my other headphones, but hopefully will loosen up a bit. They certainly as confortable for me as the 7x or my Sennheiser Momentum Wireless, but the top headband hasn't initially bothered me too much, but we will see how it goes over longer use.

Sound quality sounds good so far just listening to some music on my phone, I'd say a bit better than the 7x but not noticeable better (or worse) than the Sennheiser, granted EQ could make a difference. That said, the Sennheiser's don't work on the Xbox or PlayStation natively so there's no real need to compare them directly.

The green band is rather ugly as well, but I'm going to hold off dropping $70 to get the Mobius pads from a local shop until I'm sure I like the Penrose (or if the green grows on me).

WelshBluebird

Jul 22, 2020
Why on earth do so many headsets still use micro USB? I refuse to buy one that isn't USB-C (mainly so I can use the same cable to charge my mouse and the headset) but that is massively reducing my choice!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
My PS5 Pulse have been great though last night I started to get a little static/drop so now I am worried.
Is it plugged into the back or front? My Platinum set was working fine in the back, for the most part, but plugging an external into the back of my PS5 gave me a bunch of RF interference (likely form the USB3 cable used for the external drive) and using the front port has been perfect since.
Why on earth do so many headsets still use micro USB? I refuse to buy one that isn't USB-C (mainly so I can use the same cable to charge my mouse and the headset) but that is massively reducing my choice!
Kind of a similar reason to other devices: it's still more common. TBH there are some cheap and not crappy micro to C adapters, though that's not solving the problem as much.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Is it plugged into the back or front? My Platinum set was working fine in the back, for the most part, but plugging an external into the back of my PS5 gave me a bunch of RF interference (likely form the USB3 cable used for the external drive) and using the front port has been perfect since.
Got PSVR, so the back is taken up. It isn't regular so it seems like interference but don't know from what.

Jonatron

Apr 22, 2020
Looks like my choices are limited to the Steelseries 7x or Audeze Penrose X for the PS5 and XSX.

The 7x is oos everywhere and the Penrose is a bit more than what I wanted to spend - though I am drawn to it as a recovering audiophile and having owned LCD2 cans in the past.

Why the fuck isn't the market flooded with multi console compatible wireless headsets?

Jul 14, 2018
Looks like my choices are limited to the Steelseries 7x or Audeze Penrose X for the PS5 and XSX.

The 7x is oos everywhere and the Penrose is a bit more than what I wanted to spend - though I am drawn to it as a recovering audiophile and having owned LCD2 cans in the past.

Why the fuck isn't the market flooded with multi console compatible wireless headsets?

Brickseek says there are some 7Xs in stock at various Walmarts near me, though I'm not sure whether I trust Brickseek after using them to find a PS5 in December was such a fiasco. Probably worth a search at least if you're in the market.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I'm super pleased with my Steelseries Arctis 7x with the ear pads from Wickedcushions.com swapped in. Have had them for going on 2 months and have few complaints. Solid sound quality to me (never been an audiophile), comfortable, long battery life and work with all my devices (XSX, PS5, PC, and Switch docked and portable mode).

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any connection issues with 7x on XSX or PS5? I'm reading online that 9x got wireless issues on XSX so I was wondering if 7x got any similar problems? Want to buy a 7x if it's working issues on consoles.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Are there any connection issues with 7x on XSX or PS5? I'm reading online that 9x got wireless issues on XSX so I was wondering if 7x got any similar problems? Want to buy a 7x if it's working issues on consoles.
I have not had (or heard of) and connection issues with the 7x. The issues that the 9x has do not really apply to the 7x since they use a different wireless connection. The 9x uses native Xbox wireless to connect directly to the console where as the 7x uses a USB dongle for the connections, which allows it to be used with other systems as well.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021

I've had zero issues. I think the direct connect (no dongle) wireless with the 9X on XSX is more prone to drop outs. I know I had a LOT of drop outs before I got the 7x and had to use headphones plugged into my Elite V1 controller so it seems having a dongle is less prone to dropouts for some reason.

9X wasn't an option for me anyway as I wanted one headset I could use for everything vs. keeping my Sony Golds (passed on to a friend who's V1 golds were falling apart) and having a second headset just for XSX.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I have not had (or heard of) and connection issues with the 7x. The issues that the 9x has do not really apply to the 7x since they use a different wireless connection. The 9x uses native Xbox wireless to connect directly to the console where as the 7x uses a USB dongle for the connections, which allows it to be used with other systems as well.
I've had zero issues. I think the direct connect (no dongle) wireless with the 9X on XSX is more prone to drop outs. I know I had a LOT of drop outs before I got the 7x and had to use headphones plugged into my Elite V1 controller so it seems having a dongle is less prone to dropouts for some reason.

9X wasn't an option for me anyway as I wanted one headset I could use for everything vs. keeping my Sony Golds (passed on to a friend who's V1 golds were falling apart) and having a second headset just for XSX.

Ah thank you both for your replies, I will buy it then thanks.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
For those familiar with the following planars popular for gaming...which sounds the best?

1. Audeze Penrose
2. Audeze Mobius
3. HyperX Cloud Orbit S
4. HiFiMan Sundara
5. SIVGA P-II

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Noob question: can I update Arctis firmware on a Mac instead of PC? Everywhere I'm looking says "just connect to a PC," but, uh, I don't have one. If the Steelseries Engine app on Mac works just the same, that's all I need to know I think.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
There's a SteelSeries MacOS version of the app...
Thanks. But before I purchase, can anyone confirm it can be used to update firmware? I did some Googling and anytime someone says there is, there's a reply about the option not being there or it having troubles. I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer. Even Steelseries "how to update firmware" mentions plugging into a PC, but no Max option.

Last edited:

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have issues with crackling with the audeze?
Got them today and playing warzone I'm getting crackling from both the game and my friends talking.
I'm going to return them if this is normal and not just teething issues.

Last edited:

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody have issues with crackling with the audeze?
Got them today and playing warzone I'm getting crackling from both the game and my friends talking.
I'm going to return them if this is normal
Yeah I get that if there is interference or I'm too far from the transceiver. I actually had to get a replacement stick which is a little bit better but still not as good as the competition.

I wouldn't say it's normal but it is definitely not an uncommon issue people run into.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that if there is interference or I'm too far from the transceiver. I actually had to get a replacement stick which is a little bit better but still not as good as the competition.

I wouldn't say it's normal but it is definitely not an uncommon issue people run into.
Replacement USB stick? How'd you go about that?

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Thanks. But before I purchase, can anyone confirm it can be used to update firmware? I did some Googling and anytime someone says there is, there's a reply about the option not being there or it having troubles. I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer. Even Steelseries "how to update firmware" mentions plugging into a PC, but no Max option.
SteelSeries dev here, you can update the all Arctis headsets on Mac. The only thing you won't have on Mac is DTS Headphone X if the headset supports it, because it's Windows-only.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm incredibly happy with my Logitech G Pro X wireless.

- Very comfortable, not quite on par with my Hyper X but not far off. I found them a bit hot with the leatherette pads but the velour pads included feel great and don't hurt the bass too much.

- They're not boomy by any means, which is an issue that plagues a lot of gaming headphones. They don't have certainly don't have the punchiness and weight of the Penrose, but there's still decent bass presence and a fairly balanced signature overall. I'd classify them as mostly neutral, with a slight trend towards being somewhat bright. The Cinematic EQ is perfect for me, bringing a bit more punch and making mids a bit more forward without too much coloration.

- Soundstage is overall better than the Penrose. Penrose felt very "in my head". Good for some things, bad for others. The G Pro X Wireless with velour pads strike a nice balance between closed and open headphones. Maybe velour pads for the Pensore would help in this regard, as they could stand to have the bass toned down a bit.

- Range is incredible. Where the Penrose managed 6 feet, the Logitech manages 60 feet. The only spot they'll lose connection in my house is in one corner of the basement, through 2 floors, several walls, and around 60 feet.

- Battery life is equally impressive. While they rate for 20 hours on paper, throughout my usual usage they last me a good week on a single charge.

- The microphone is among the best I've ever used, especially for a wireless headset. I use the Blue Voice Broadcaster 1 preset and I've had a lot of positive feedback from my friends through Discord. The quality of my mic beats anyone else's on the server. What's even better is the noise cancellation. I no longer have to use push-to-talk, as the microphone is incredibly good about cancelling out my breathing and ambient noises in general. This is probably the biggest selling point for me at the moment, as not having to resort to push-to-talk is a revelation.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
Is there much of a difference, sound quality-wise, between the Arctis 7 and the 9s? Also, has anyone tested the JBL Quantum 600?

I basically want a good jack of all trades set - something I can take calls on, game, and that sounds great with music. Right now I have PS3 era Pulse Elites that I like quite a bit, but the head band is about to crack. My budget is $200.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Audeze had me contact the retailer I bought it from (Crutchfield) and they were able to order a replacement for me 🤷‍♂️ This one is definitely more stable but the range is nothing to write home about
Was it free? Did you have to send yours back before receiving the new one?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Just in case you don't believe the dev for some reason (ha), I've got the Arctis 7 and 9X, I've updated both using my MacBook.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So it seems to be exclusive to warzone, I'm a metre away from it so don't think distance is an issue, just going to return since I don't want to bother with a replacement stick only for it to have the same issue

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Anyone have experience with the Hyperx Cloudx Flight on the Series X? I've enjoyed other Hyperx headsets, but never tried wireless before. They're on sale and I've got enough MS store credit to buy them.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
SteelSeries dev here, you can update the all Arctis headsets on Mac. The only thing you won't have on Mac is DTS Headphone X if the headset supports it, because it's Windows-only.
Will the bass distortion/crackle ever get fixed on the regular Arctis 7s? Adjusting that first slider in the Equalizer settings always results in this. Setting it to 0 is the only way to not have it happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any impressions on how comfortable the Steelseries or PS5 official ones are. Have some jaw issues and have noticed my old pair put a decent amount of pressure on that area. Wondering if any are "lighter" than others.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have any impressions on how comfortable the Steelseries or PS5 official ones are. Have some jaw issues and have noticed my old pair put a decent amount of pressure on that area. Wondering if any are "lighter" than others.
I have had various headsets from Astros to Turtle beaches. Also own the Sony Platinum headset. My Steel series 7x is the most comfortable headset I've ever owned.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I have had various headsets from Astros to Turtle beaches. Also own the Sony Platinum headset. My Steel series 7x is the most comfortable headset I've ever owned.
Yeah I'm really loving the 7x. It feels very nice quality with a good weight, and it's super super comfortable.

I hate when the clamping force is too strong on headsets. The 7x maybe isn't QUITE as weak as I'd like, but it's still not nearly strong enough to make it actually hurt my head.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm really loving the 7x. It feels very nice quality with a good weight, and it's super super comfortable.

I hate when the clamping force is too strong on headsets. The 7x maybe isn't QUITE as weak as I'd like, but it's still not nearly strong enough to make it actually hurt my head.
Absolutely, now that you mention this, I remember my head hurting after some long playthroughs with other headsets but never with Steel series. They really nailed the comfort.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a second the USB dongle on a Arctis 7 works with the Xbox Series X/S? Or was there a 2020 version specifically that had that feature as far as I can tell my Arctis 7s cannot do that.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Wait a second the USB dongle on a Arctis 7 works with the Xbox Series X/S? Or was there a 2020 version specifically that had that feature as far as I can tell my Arctis 7s cannot do that.

Not sure on 7 regular, but 7x dongle does. It had a toggle switch for Xbox and USB with the latter working with PlayStation, Switch, PC and presumably anything else that supports USB headphones. The 7p headset doesn't work with Xbox Series as the dongle doesn't have the toggle switch.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there much of a difference, sound quality-wise, between the Arctis 7 and the 9s? Also, has anyone tested the JBL Quantum 600?

I basically want a good jack of all trades set - something I can take calls on, game, and that sounds great with music. Right now I have PS3 era Pulse Elites that I like quite a bit, but the head band is about to crack. My budget is $200.
I've started using the JBL Quantum 800 this week and I'm pretty happy with it. They are comfortable, flexible and the audio is good. Given it is basically a Quantum 600 with Bluetooth 5.0, I would say it's a good purchase.

That said, I do recommend the 800 over the 600 as you can do multiple channels at the same time (for example, connect the usb dongle on your PS4/PS5 and use the Bluetooth to connect to your phone and use both at the same time).