• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the opening scenes of Blade Runner 2049, Mad Max: Fury Road, the lobby scene of The Matrix, and the docking sequence for Dr. Mann in Interstellar. I also threw in some Star Trek: Discovery. In a word, the sound is Outstanding.

As I've mentioned before: what I've found with headphones is that if they perform well in music, they will do everything else well. Penrose w/ the latest updates are no exception. They are excellent in music, as most Audeze headphones are. They are equally impressive in movies. No, they aren't as good as my LCD-4's. But they are a close enough approximation that I don't mind that I'm not wearing my LCD-4's and haven't worn them all day. I'm around 10 hours straight in these Penrose's, playing music, gaming, and watching some Netflix. Also done some calls via Google Voice. 80%-100% volume. Still at 30% battery. It's a helluva kit, IMO.

What's really nice about the Penrose is that you can adjust the EQ to maximize the sound to your tastes, and it stores it onboard for whatever console, phone or PC you hook it up to after will run with your EQ'd settings.

This is what I like about the Penrose: thanks to the EQ you can do anything you want with the sound. My settings are almost the complete opposite, but most of my music is best when rich. R&B, Hop-Hop, Jazz, movies. I use 4 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 0 - (-1) - (-1) - (-1) and I'm happier than a pig in slop.

I'll put your preset on my Preset 2 and give it a try.

I was really impressed by how much even a minor adjustment improved the audio quality that I originally didn't even think about improving. I listened to them at default when I first got them but just checked out Reddit on a whim and saw some EQ settings then went from there.

I've been trying not to get too bogged down in continuously tweaking EQ settings on my own, after I found one I liked, but I've been checking out ones recommended by others, so I'll try yours out as well.

(I updated my previous post to make it more clear those are all negative numbers)

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I went ahead and did a few hours of research today to try and find the headset that would fit my needs since I didn't get any recommendations, and I bought the Arctis 7x on Steelseries' website. It was coming down to the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 and the 7x, but ultimately the cross-compatibility and the design made me choose the 7x. I really hate that it uses micro-USB, but it is what it is. The design is much classier looking than the 700 Gen 2, and it seems that both of them have really solid sound quality for their price range, so that wasn't a deciding factor.

Supposed to get it in four days.

But seriously, how bizarre is it that it uses micro-USB? USB-C has been commonplace for THREE YEARS, and this thing just came out a few months ago.

Rizzy13

Oct 25, 2020
If you mean independently control the chat volume and the game volume, I don't think they exist unfortunately. The new Sony pulse 3d can control the game/voice balance slider directly from the headset and apparently it's the only headset that can do it right now. All others I believe need to adjust the balance slider from the ps5 UI.
Ah damn. That's exactly what I meant. I guess I'll keep waiting then, unless that feature is not possible without optical for some reason. Thanks for the reply!

lunch_box

Nov 5, 2017
Just ordered the 7x. I Was REALLY close to getting the Penrose X, I just don't need £300 gaming headphones.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm eying up the white Arctis 7x on Amazon. I'd buy directly from Steel Series' website but I don't see the white option. But the description doesn't mention next gen console compatibility on Amazon, though. Has anyone else ordered them from Amazon and had them work fine with Series X/PS5?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm eying up the white Arctis 7x on Amazon. I'd buy directly from Steel Series' website but I don't see the white option. But the description doesn't mention next gen console compatibility on Amazon, though. Has anyone else ordered them from Amazon and had them work fine with Series X/PS5?

I don't think they make the 7x in white... have a link?

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The white one on amazon is the 7p

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Can the penrose plug directly into a TV (LG c9) and work?

What I love about steel series pro wireless is that I can get sound from all my devices (via optical)...ps5, switch, xbox etc.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Just watched the opening scenes of Blade Runner 2049, Mad Max: Fury Road, the lobby scene of The Matrix, and the docking sequence for Dr. Mann in Interstellar. I also threw in some Star Trek: Discovery. In a word, the sound is Outstanding.

As I've mentioned before: what I've found with headphones is that if they perform well in music, they will do everything else well. Penrose w/ the latest updates are no exception. They are excellent in music, as most Audeze headphones are. They are equally impressive in movies. No, they aren't as good as my LCD-4's. But they are a close enough approximation that I don't mind that I'm not wearing my LCD-4's and haven't worn them all day. I'm around 10 hours straight in these Penrose's, playing music, gaming, and watching some Netflix. Also done some calls via Google Voice. 80%-100% volume. Still at 30% battery. It's a helluva kit, IMO.

What's really nice about the Penrose is that you can adjust the EQ to maximize the sound to your tastes, and it stores it onboard for whatever console, phone or PC you hook it up to after will run with your EQ'd settings.

This is what I like about the Penrose: thanks to the EQ you can do anything you want with the sound. My settings are almost the complete opposite, but most of my music is best when rich. R&B, Hop-Hop, Jazz, movies. I use 4 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 0 - (-1) - (-1) - (-1) and I'm happier than a pig in slop.

I'll put your preset on my Preset 2 and give it a try.

Bookmarked!

Thanks! Yeah these are going to be used for everything from Gaming, Music, Movies/TV, and work calls. I think that alone should justify the price. Now, I just have to convince the wife. Haha.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
ooooooooooooo

gonna have to make a new preset. lol

edit: oh yes this is much better than my first tries.

edit: currently using 0 (0) (0) (-1) (-3) (-3) (-2) (-1) (-1) (-1) and am a happier pig in slop now. tyvm!
I primarily listen to hip hop and R&B and I've been using the reddit settings as they sound the best.
Funny enough...I'm using the Penrose more on Spotify than on my PS5. Never thought they would play music this good. God damn. Almost makes me want to get a subscription to Tidal for better audio quality...almost lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I primarily listen to hip hop and R&B and I've been using the reddit settings as they sound the best.
Funny enough...I'm using the Penrose more on Spotify than on my PS5. Never thought they would play music this good. God damn. Almost makes me want to get a subscription to Tidal for better audio quality...almost lol.
Yep, music is always my first test for any pair of headphones. I insta-returned some $300 Steelseries headset some years ago because music was terrible in them. To no surprise, gaming also sounded hollow and poor.

Penrose is a good product.

Bookmarked!

Thanks! Yeah these are going to be used for everything from Gaming, Music, Movies/TV, and work calls. I think that alone should justify the price. Now, I just have to convince the wife. Haha.
I'm pretty confident that you'll be well pleased if you can talk her into it.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
but ultimately the cross-compatibility and the design made me choose the 7x. I really hate that it uses micro-USB, but it is what it is. The design is

But seriously, how bizarre is it that it uses micro-USB? USB-C has been commonplace for THREE YEARS, and this thing just came out a few months ago.
The funny thing is the dongle for the consoles/PC is USB-C (with a USB-A extension) so it's not like they aren't using it all. I'm assuming they are reusing the headset designs from the older 7/9 series where presumably they were made when micro-USB was the most common connection.

I still have a number of micro-USB devices around so no need to hunt for cables, and it does hold a charge for a while at least.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
IMO those are the ones to get if you plan to own both consoles. 7P is PS5 only, 7X will work for both.
So as I was just about to check out on the site, I decided to Google more reviews and at the bottom of IGN's (I think?) it showed that. So I was like yeah no brainer. I wonder why it is that way. I'll eventually get a PS5 so that's nice.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Regarding the Audeze Penrose, I mentioned it a few pages ago, but definitely update the firmware for mic improvement (it is a very noticeable upgrade).

I recommend trying out some of the recommendations for the EQ settings on Reddit or the official Audeze release. I think they sound much better with just a little tweaking in the application and you can always just default if you don't find a setting you like. You can also change the EQ settings on the fly while listening to music or playing, as long as they're plugged into your PC, so it's a very easy way to test them out.

I use 0 (-1) (-1) (-3) (-3) (-3) (-2) (-1) 0 0

Audeze also officially released some of their own presets last month: https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-presets

Thank you for this post, EDM sounds incredible with this preset. Holy cow.

Oxley

Oct 28, 2017
I know I read some pages back that the Penrose didn't seem to be available in Canada. The Penrose X is in stock at this retailer as of yesterday. It's the first and only one I've found in Canada to stock it so far. I ordered myself a pair and they shipped same day.

headfoneshop.com

Audeze Penrose Wireless Planar Magnetic Headset — Earphone & Headphone Specialty | Headfoneshop Toronto Canada

Penrose / Penrose X Audeze 100mm planar magnetic drivers Lossless 2.4GHz low-latency wireless connection Bluetooth and wired analog connection options Detachable broadcast quality microphone Comfortable memory foam padding

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
My PS5 Pulse have been great though last night I started to get a little static/drop so now I am worried.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the Audeze Penrose, I mentioned it a few pages ago, but definitely update the firmware for mic improvement (it is a very noticeable upgrade).

I recommend trying out some of the recommendations for the EQ settings on Reddit or the official Audeze release. I think they sound much better with just a little tweaking in the application and you can always just default if you don't find a setting you like. You can also change the EQ settings on the fly while listening to music or playing, as long as they're plugged into your PC, so it's a very easy way to test them out.

I use 0 (-1) (-1) (-3) (-3) (-3) (-2) (-1) 0 0

Audeze also officially released some of their own presets last month: https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-presets

This EQ sounds incredible.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I know I read some pages back that the Penrose didn't seem to be available in Canada. The Penrose X is in stock at this retailer as of yesterday. It's the first and only one I've found in Canada to stock it so far. I ordered myself a pair and they shipped same day.

headfoneshop.com

Audeze Penrose Wireless Planar Magnetic Headset — Earphone & Headphone Specialty | Headfoneshop Toronto Canada

Penrose / Penrose X Audeze 100mm planar magnetic drivers Lossless 2.4GHz low-latency wireless connection Bluetooth and wired analog connection options Detachable broadcast quality microphone Comfortable memory foam padding
Awesome, thanks for posting! I had checked them last week and they didn't have it, but I've placed an order now that my son has taken over the 7x.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
The regular Penrose seem to be hard to find right now. Not planning on buying an Xbox so I don't need the X. :-/

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody that have tried both the 7p and the Penrose, what are you thoughts? I originally was going for the 7p since it seemed to be talked about a lot here, but its always out of stock and whenever it comes back I miss it. After reading up more on the penrose, I'm now leaning towards that, and they also allow you to buy it when its backordered so you dont have to rush when it comes back in stock.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody that have tried both the 7p and the Penrose, what are you thoughts? I originally was going for the 7p since it seemed to be talked about a lot here, but its always out of stock and whenever it comes back I miss it. After reading up more on the penrose, I'm now leaning towards that, and they also allow you to buy it when its backordered so you dont have to rush when it comes back in stock.

I'll probably be able to form more opinions soon but I've been using the 7x for about a week and my Penrose X just came in. It's hard to even compare the sound quality (these are probably the best sounding headsets I've owned?). I haven't gamed with them yet but that's just my first impressions. The range on these is awful though; I might actually keep my Arctis as conferencing headphones because they're much more comfortable and I can walk all the way to my kitchen on calls without having to hear "Connected.." over and over.

Is firmware 1.5 the latest? I installed the audezeHQ app but when I go to the firmware tab there is nothing on there except for the version number.

Also is there a way to change presets without having to connect to my computer? 🤔

edit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19eCs32QwvI5bm3Z_gea1YUa6m_919KeYmS3D1JzvSJ0/edit yeah it looks like this is their latest firmware
edit2: after playing some COD the audio cues are so much clearer and nuanced than the 7x

Last edited:

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ordered an Arctis 7X from Steelseries last week and was supposed to have shipped already, but they're still sitting on it. Guess they oversold or something.

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
would love to hear some more thoughts regarding the 7p compared to the penrose...7p is super comfy and sounds great but im pretty curious about the penrose especially how it fits...its just about double the price so im not sure if i wanna take that dive

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
would love to hear some more thoughts regarding the 7p compared to the penrose...7p is super comfy and sounds great but im pretty curious about the penrose especially how it fits...its just about double the price so im not sure if i wanna take that dive
I have a 7x and a Penrose X on the way. I like the 7x and find it comfortable, although it slips on my head a bit (downside of having no hair I guess). My son has taken over the 7x as he's playing more with friends from school so I wanted to get a second headset for myself when playing on the other systems, hopefully the Penrose works well.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I have the 7x and Penrose X. I'm assuming audio is similar across the Penrose line / 7 line though.

Penrose:
+ Audio is way better. I don't know how to really describe it because I'm not an audiophile but music and game audio sounds really good. I can pick out individual sounds better and things are less muddled if that makes sense.
+ BT. I actually might just use these in BT w/ my phone to take meetings so I can move around
- Connection distance is SHORT. This might be a deal breaker for some people but I can get about 3-5x further away from the dongle compared to 7x
- Definitely not as comfortable and my ears get kind of hot after long use since there is clamping action that creates a seal around your ear
- Controls are generally not great; I'm hoping they improve this in future FW updates but things like not having a button to pause music, not being able to change presets w/o plugging them in, weird interface for switching input modes, etc.
- Audeze HQ doesn't work on mac yet so if you don't have a PC you can't upgrade or change presets
~ So far battery life seems better on the Penrose. I had a couple weird sessions with the Arctis where battery died in <6 hrs for some reason but charging indicators on both these headsets aren't great or I haven't figured it out yet
? Not sure on mic. Generally people haven't commented on the mic quality compared to my other headsets and I haven't run any tests

Arctis 7:
+ Man these things are ridiculously comfortable. You can get replacement pads for cheap that even make the more comfortable (the Penrose have their ear pads glued to the piece of plastic so you can get same-style replacement from Audeze for $30 but you can't get your hands on velour pads or anything like that without spending $$$)
+ Dongle just works. I can switch my usb hub between computers, move around, etc. it just picks it up. (With the Penrose I have to sometimes unplug/plug my dongle to get it to show up on mac. It might just be a mac thing but 🤷‍♂️ Audeze seems to only show up when the headset is connected but it's kind of inconsistent. This might be a pro or con for the Arctis but the dongle is always an audio output even if the headset is off so if you're on a computer your output devices won't shift around as you turn on/off the headset)
+ Connection distance is good (better than my gen 1/2 astro a50s).
~ I like the mic retraction. Idk how durable it'll be in the future but it's cool to have so it doesn't get in your way
~ The button you use to mute the mic is a lot more ergonomic than the switch on the Audeze. I also like the visual indicator that you're muted
~ The dials are way easier to spin on the 7 so when I take and put the headset on I'm always changing my volume which can be annoying
- Audio is pretty OK, on-par with my a50s I think. Basically nothing amazing but serviceable for gaming

I think if you need long connection distance definitely stick with the Arctis. If you want a headset for more than just gaming then maybe check out the Penrose.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I have the 7x and Penrose X. I'm assuming audio is similar across the Penrose line / 7 line though.

Penrose:
+ Audio is way better. I don't know how to really describe it because I'm not an audiophile but music and game audio sounds really good. I can pick out individual sounds better and things are less muddled if that makes sense.
- Connection distance is SHORT. This might be a deal breaker for some people but I can get about 3-5x further away from the dongle compared to 7x

I think if you need long connection distance definitely stick with the Arctis. If you want a headset for more than just gaming then maybe check out the Penrose.
Thanks for this comparison. Once I get my Penrose X I'll see if it is similar for me compared to the 7x.

However, the connection range is the most concerning thing for me (with comfort being second). How far is "short" for you? For reference, I have two places in my home where I would expect to use them. In my family room with the Series X and PS5, the consoles would be between 5-15 ft away from where I would be sitting depending on which side of the room and which console I'm using. This is with direct line of sight though and no walls, so hopefully that isn't an issue. The other room with the PS4 Pro and One X are much closer, around 5 ft for both of them.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
FWIW, I have had zero connection/range issues with my Penrose X on Switch/PS5. I sit about 10-12 feet away, dongle plugged into the front ports. Hooks up in seconds too when I wake the consoles up.

EDIT: I will also add my PS5 and Switch sit about 3-4 feet away from my wireless router.

Last edited:

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for this comparison. Once I get my Penrose X I'll see if it is similar for me compared to the 7x.

However, the connection range is the most concerning thing for me (with comfort being second). How far is "short" for you? For reference, I have two places in my home where I would expect to use them. In my family room with the Series X and PS5, the consoles would be between 5-15 ft away from where I would be sitting depending on which side of the room and which console I'm using. This is with direct line of sight though and no walls, so hopefully that isn't an issue. The other room with the PS4 Pro and One X are much closer, around 5 ft for both of them.
I bought a usb extension cable to see if I can move the dongle away from other stuff that might interfere with the signal. I'm sitting pretty close to my router too and maybe theres just too much going on (but my astros/arctis don't have any issues so..)

I'm sitting about 2 ft away and my connection can get spotty at times. If I move out of my room with a wall in between the connection will just straight up drop and do "Connected. Connected. Connected." over and over. I'll try with my consoles later today where I sit about 7-8 ft with little interference.

It's also possible there is something wrong with my dongle so I'll contact Audeze and see what's up if I can't figure out a better solution.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Comes down to your living situation interference. More interference, less the range. I've actually experienced this first hand between two different apts and the same dongle.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I changed the channel my 2.4ghz AP broadcasts on and my connection got better. I can get almost go to my kitchen now (like 15ft with 3 walls in between) before the connection starts to drop. It's definitely not as solid as the arctis but from what I've read audeze prioritized quality over distance. Maybe they'll update FW in the future that will allow us to fine tune what kind of balance we want?

Mac is super weird at detecting whether or not the audio output is available. I have to plug/unplug the dongle multiple times whereas it just works the first time on PC. Not sure what's up with that.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
My Penrose should be delivered tomorrow, so I'll test it out over the weekend. My SX/PS5 setup is in the same room as my router, so theoretically it might have more interference than my other room, although the consoles are connected via a wireless bridge there. Any idea what frequency the Penrose communicates at? My router is currently set to choose the best frequency for 2.4ghz but I can always manually change it to avoid interference if possible.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
My Penrose should be delivered tomorrow, so I'll test it out over the weekend. My SX/PS5 setup is in the same room as my router, so theoretically it might have more interference than my other room, although the consoles are connected via a wireless bridge there. Any idea what frequency the Penrose communicates at? My router is currently set to choose the best frequency for 2.4ghz but I can always manually change it to avoid interference if possible.
Penrose is on 2.4ghz so if you can switch to 5ghz you should do that. I have too many IOT shit running on 2.4ghz so I can't 😦

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Penrose is on 2.4ghz so if you can switch to 5ghz you should do that. I have too many IOT shit running on 2.4ghz so I can't 😦
Same, I can't run only 2.4 or 5ghz so I have both. Most devices that can use 5ghz do as that is much quicker in my home, but I have a number of devices that only operate on 2.4ghz so I can't eliminate it. I was more wondering if there was a particular 2.4ghz band that the Penrose operated closest to to avoid.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Same, I can't run only 2.4 or 5ghz so I have both. Most devices that can use 5ghz do as that is much quicker in my home, but I have a number of devices that only operate on 2.4ghz so I can't eliminate it. I was more wondering if there was a particular 2.4ghz band that the Penrose operated closest to to avoid.
Based on this https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050582971-Troubleshooting-wireless-stability-issues it sounds like it might just pick whatever has the strongest connection so if your router is on auto you might run into problems but if you can set your router to stick on a band you might have better luck. (either that or the dongle is stuck to a certain band which may vary and you have to work around that). Not sure!

You can try turning off your router and all other WiFi devices (phones, tablets, Bluetooth devices, etc.) for around 15 minutes to allow the Penrose dongle to establish a solid connection to one channel. You can then allow your router to cycle back on while the Penrose is in use. This should in theory keep that channel established by the Penrose indefinitely and shouldn't be required every time you start your headphones.

Maybe it's picking a channel or it's locked onto a channel and it's always on that channel. I haven't figured out a way to determine what channel the dongle is on though so 🤷‍♂️