• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
G PRO X Wireless is fucking incredible headset. I'm using it with PS5 and works great with Tempest 3D. Especially on multiplayer.

I highly recommend this badass if you are looking something for games and movies.

Logitech-G-PRO-X-9-min.jpg

I'm so so on the sound signature. Mids are a tad recessed and there's definitely a bit of a low bass dropoff, but otherwise I really like them. Soundstage is noticeably better than the Penrose. The Penrose were dreadful with Tempest by comparison.

Maybe it has to do with how planars work, but it felt like different frequencies were coming from different areas within the driver. Low end frequencies sounded like they were coming from behind me, and mids-highs were more towards the front. It was a bit strange, but really satisfying for certain types of music.

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
There needs to be a damn guide on these things. If I have ps4 and series X what headset do I need that I can just use wirelessly for both without needing to change dongle?
If the concern is just not having to swap the dongle between consoles, you can accomplish this with a headset that supports both Xbox Wireless + Bluetooth.

The Razer Kaira Pro** is actually well suited to this, as it has specific buttons to swap between Xbox Wireless and Bluetooth audio. You would need to buy a USB BT dongle for the PS though, as it doesn't come with one.

**only the Pro has both XB Wireless + BT

Last edited:

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If the concern is just not having to swap the dongle between consoles, you can accomplish this with a headset that supports both Xbox Wireless + Bluetooth.

The Razer Kaira Pro** is actually well suited to this, as it has specific buttons to swap between Xbox Wireless and Bluetooth audio. You would need to buy a USB BT dongle for the PS though, as it doesn't come with one.

**only the Pro has both XB Wireless + BT
Thanks Ill check it out

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the penrose x, will i need to disconnect the dongle between consoles (xboxx/ps5)or do they both use different connection methods.

Also, is the penrose mobius better than the penrose, I'm sitting like a metre from my consoles so being wired is not an issue.

Lastly, are the penrose worth 2x the price of the 7x in terms of sound quality being much better(i get you can't say something has 2x better sound quality without looking at more technical details)? Thinking of waiting until the penrose is on sale, but current prices are £140~ for arctis 7x and £300 for the penrose.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Lastly, are the penrose worth 2x the price of the 7x in terms of sound quality being much better(i get you can't say something has 2x better sound quality without looking at more technical details)? Thinking of waiting until the penrose is on sale, but current prices are £140~ for arctis 7x and £300 for the penrose.
The only person who can answer that is you.

Have you been happy with the sound quality of previous gaming headsets you've owned, or did you wish they sounded better? Is sound quality ever something you think about? How much do you intend to use them? etc. etc.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I have the A50s for PS5 and PC is there a way to use them for Series X? They sound amazing and I want to use them while playing Ori.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the penrose x, will i need to disconnect the dongle between consoles (xboxx/ps5)or do they both use different connection methods.

Also, is the penrose mobius better than the penrose, I'm sitting like a metre from my consoles so being wired is not an issue.

Do you have an ARC that plugs into your console? If not, you will need to plug the mobius into the controller, which provides compressed audio.

In terms of price...it's entirely subjective. I don't know how much you make, how much your willing to pay or how much audio quality factors into your headset decision.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have an ARC that plugs into your console? If not, you will need to plug the mobius into the controller, which provides compressed audio.

In terms of price...it's entirely subjective. I don't know how much you make, how much your willing to pay or how much audio quality factors into your headset decision.
I do not have an arc so guess mobius is out of the question.

Not a huge amount I'm early in my career but I have decent savings and don't want to skimp on my gaming setup since I upgraded to a good TV this year. but I also don't want to pay for a marginal upgrade. The penrose is the most I'd pay for a headset and its not an amount I'd like toeasily pay due to frugality rather than inability to pay. But again, its not that I mind paying or that it's going to be a major hit to my finances.

The only person who can answer that is you. Have you been happy with the sound quality of previous gaming headsets you've owned, or did you wish they sounded better? Is sound quality ever something you think about? How much do you intend to use them? etc. etc.
Yeah I get that, should've been clearer I was basically asking if they're apples & oranges or just bad apple vs good apple (if that makes sense), essentially if they're so much different that an average person will get major utility from using them.
I got a Samsung q900t soundbar(which I'm going to sell once I get a pair of headphones I'm happy with) with my TV but since I'm now sitting a metre (rather than the 2-3 metres I was previously) it just doesn't sound amazing any more. I'm currently using the pulse 3d and its missing something on top of the bass for me, but the sound quality is good imo. I don't think about sound quality, but stuff like the bass sound stage and the sound seperation in busydbusy scenes. I game 2 hours 5/7 days a week, about a 70/30 singld/multiplayer split. But I don't care about the multiplayer features or mic quality.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So treble on the arctis 7/7p/7x is really sharp/bright sounding on cod even on the neutral profile. Gunshots and reload in cod make my cringe.

Does that mean I should lower the higher frequencies on the eq. The highest two I'm assuming or just the highest? Anyone got some good custom was they tried out?

I have the A50s for PS5 and PC is there a way to use them for Series X? They sound amazing and I want to use them while playing Ori.

I think audio should work fine on sex but chat won't without the Xbox specific base station.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
My Penrose X came last weekend, and I've been putting it through it's paces over the last week or so.

Just a little background on myself, I am not an audiophile and this is by far the most expensive pair of headphones I have ever purchased. I'm primarily a console gamer, and was using a Cloud Stinger plugged into PS4 controller the last few years. (which for the price is pretty darn good IMO) I bought the Penrose X primarily for PS5 and Switch use, and probably Xbox in the future. I initially tried the Pulse 3D headset, which I didn't like very much and returned.

Initial impressions right out of the box: These do have that 'premium' audio gear feel, which is nice. They just feel 'substantial'. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure most folks reading this know what I'm talking about. The Pulse 3D feels like a Fisher Price toy compared to these.

First thing I did was hook them up to BT on my phone. They sound really good hooked up to my phone this way, the volume gets extremely loud. In fact I was not able to turn it up more than halfway. They do connect to BT and the dongle at the same time if you want. I'm not sure how much I'll use it, but it does work well. The phone/dongle audio balance, the phone is a bit louder. So it's really good for podcasts, with the game audio still going quietly in the background. Pretty neat.

I connected them to my PS4 via the dongle. It paired right away with the dongle and I have had no drop outs. PS5 even recognizes it as 'Penrose'. I sit about 3.5m away from my PS5 and the dongle was plugged into the front port.

The audio quality on the PS5 was good, but seemed not quite as good as BT to my phone. I tried several different games. Tetris Effect and Amplitude, since they are music games. Sound is plenty loud. I also tried MK11 Ultimate, Tomb Raider, and AC: Valhalla (lol). I'm still unsure about the 3D Audio on PS5. Just seems for the most part to make things quieter. Tomb Raider def. has some positional audio going on and MK 11 has good bass. Valhalla is infamous for it's poor sound, but I was pleasantly surprised that it did sound better to me. Not great, but better. I was worried the higher quality of the headset would actually amplify the issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Astro's Playroom probably sounded the best. 3D Audio def. noticeable in that game, and the sound stage is much wider than my Stingers plugged into the controller.

Real quick, on Switch they also work well and sound very good. Actually think they sound better than PS5, it does get louder. The Panzer Dragoon OST sounded magnificent through the headset.

One last, but important note on comfort. It definitely has a high clamp force out of the box. the padding on the top and earphones seems good and is soft, but after about an hour I could def. feel it.
I wear glasses as well. I've been doing the 'pillow trick' to loosen them up a bit. That does help, and I hope to break them in more going forward. The Stinger was the same way where there was a break in period.

There is an Android and Windows app you can use to set eq levels and update firmware. Windows app works fine, but I didn't mess with the EQ. Nice you can get firmware updates.

Overall I'm pretty happy, these are def. nice and I will use them a lot this console generation.
Did you apply the firmware update, and turn off sidetone? Those two things are crucial with the Penrose IMHO.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Penrose and tested them with music and games. My short review is based on my experience with the LucidSound LS50X, which are a pair of $250 headphones, which were the best sounding gaming headphones I've used before (Better than Astro A50, HyperX and any Sony headset in terms of audio quality).

The Penrose is flat out better than the LS50X. They sound crisper and cleaner and various instruments within songs definitely stand out. To put it bluntly, these are the best sounding headphones I've ever used.

Now to address some of the most common issues people had:

1) Comfort: These are comfortable to me and the clamping force is fine. I am also coming from the LS50X which have a tight force and are actually heavier than these so obviously my opinion is jaded.

2) Range: I can walk to the bathroom and have my device across my entire 660 sqft apt and have zero drops. So it works perfectly me.

3) Sidetone + Hiss: No issue here with update

4) Bluetooth and Dongle Signal: No clicking, popping or disconnects. Funny enough, I recently moved to a new apt and in my old apt, I was having a ton of clicking and popping issues with my LS50x and all of those problems are gone with the LS50x in my new apt. So I'm assuming I was in a very noisy environment and that could be a problem for more sensitive hardware.

Overall...I mean...these shits are the real deal. Experiences will obviously vary based on your situation but I would 100% recommend giving these a shot.

Edit: Mic quality: Friends said I sound better than the LS50 plugged into the controller and sound as good as the platinum...so I guess mediocre?!

Last edited:

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping the cups on 7x would be more comfy. I think the lack of foam on the driver, and a convex driver is weird. My a40 have foam on the driver and felt a touch nicer.
Yeah the stock pads hurt my ears. I replaced them with some velour pads that I had purchased for my m50s and it is much more comfortable. Not sure how I feel about them yet. I kind of wanted the penrose x but got a good deal on the 7x I guess. I wish chat mix worked on pc...

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
One last, but important note on comfort. It definitely has a high clamp force out of the box. the padding on the top and earphones seems good and is soft, but after about an hour I could def. feel it.

I bought some Dekoni Nuggets and that fixed the comfort issue with the headstrap for me.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After the firmware update the Arctis 9X is definitely more stable when connected to my xbox and pc at the same time

Oddly enough it borks a little some time when the controller is idle for some time

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did you apply the firmware update, and turn off sidetone? Those two things are crucial with the Penrose IMHO.
What does turning off sidetone do? Wouldn't you want that for your mic feedback?

As for the firmware update, when connecting the Penrose to a PC, an updated wasn't prompted. Is there a manual update to push it through?

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
As for the firmware update, when connecting the Penrose to a PC, an updated wasn't prompted. Is there a manual update to push it through?

There is an app for PC you download, it has a firmware tab where you can check/update the firmware. Might be able to do it with the android app too, but I'm not sure since I don't have an Android device myself.

I bought some Dekoni Nuggets and that fixed the comfort issue with the headstrap for me.

I have been eyeing these, but didn't pull the trigger yet. A little reluctant to stick something semi-permenantly to brand new $300 headphones lol. Will see how it shakes out after a couple of months of use.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I have been eyeing these, but didn't pull the trigger yet. A little reluctant to stick something semi-permenantly to brand new $300 headphones lol. Will see how it shakes out after a couple of months of use.

It's just double-sided tape stuck to plastic. I'm sure it would not be difficult to get them off if you wanted to.

Rizzy13

Oct 25, 2020
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but anyone know the best headsets for PS5 that have a dial/knob to control/balance voice chat volume and game volume directly from the headset? I had the Skullcandy PLYR1's for ps4 and they were amazing for that, but unfortunately that feature only worked through optical cable, and it doesn't work through USB.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but anyone know the best headsets for PS5 that have a dial/knob to control/balance voice chat volume and game volume directly from the headset? I had the Skullcandy PLYR1's for ps4 and they were amazing for that, but unfortunately that feature only worked through optical cable, and it doesn't work through USB.

If you mean independently control the chat volume and the game volume, I don't think they exist unfortunately. The new Sony pulse 3d can control the game/voice balance slider directly from the headset and apparently it's the only headset that can do it right now. All others I believe need to adjust the balance slider from the ps5 UI.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Got my Penrose and tested them with music and games. My short review is based on my experience with the LucidSound LS50X, which are a pair of $250 headphones, which were the best sounding gaming headphones I've used before (Better than Astro A50, HyperX and any Sony headset in terms of audio quality).

The Penrose is flat out better than the LS50X. They sound crisper and cleaner and various instruments within songs definitely stand out. To put it bluntly, these are the best sounding headphones I've ever used.

1) Comfort: These are comfortable to me and the clamping force is fine. I am also coming from the LS50X which have a tight force and are actually heavier than these so obviously my opinion is jaded.

2) Range: I can walk to the bathroom and have my device across my entire 660 sqft apt and have zero drops. So it works perfectly me.

4) Bluetooth and Dongle Signal: No clicking, popping or disconnects. Funny enough, I recently moved to a new apt and in my old apt, I was having a ton of clicking and popping issues with my LS50x and all of those problems are gone with the LS50x in my new apt. So I'm assuming I was in a very noisy environment and that could be a problem for more sensitive hardware.

Overall...I mean...these shits are the real deal. Experiences will obviously vary based on your situation but I would 100% recommend giving these a shot.

Edit: Mic quality: Friends said I sound better than the LS50 plugged into the controller and sound as good as the platinum...so I guess mediocre?!
Yessir. Penrose is winning. Tested them this morning with the updates and I have no reservations when switching off my $4,000 headphones for these for gaming or even when listening to music. In my experience, any headphone that can shine in music will be great for everything else. Planar magnetic stays winning, particularly when it comes to bass response and depth.

For those who can swing the price, give Penrose a good, hard look. Worst case, you just return them. Best case, you find a gaming headset that can double as the best pair of headphones for music you've ever owned.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a very good wireless headset for PS5 and PC (and hopefully Xbox consoles, too, for when I get a Series X in a year or two).

-Sub-$200
-Very good sound quality with a slight emphasis on deep clean bass (but not overbearing the other frequencies)
-Solid mic that can get out of the way when I'm not using it (which is 95% of the time)
-VERY important: relatively low clamping force. I have a big head and hate when headphones feel like they're trying to pop my head open with their tightness
-As comfortable as possible with nice-quality earcup material

Thanks to anyone who may have a good suggestion!

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Yessir. Penrose is winning. Tested them this morning with the updates and I have no reservations when switching off my $4,000 headphones for these for gaming or even when listening to music. In my experience, any headphone that can shine in music will be great for everything else. Planar magnetic stays winning, particularly when it comes to bass response and depth.

For those who can swing the price, give Penrose a good, hard look. Worst case, you just return them. Best case, you find a gaming headset that can double as the best pair of headphones for music you've ever owned.
Goddamnit. This post just convinced me to order the penrose

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Jeez, now this post is making me think about getting Penrose when I already have 7x! I really, really don't need more headphones... Or do I? :)

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
What does turning off sidetone do? Wouldn't you want that for your mic feedback?
Sidetone takes audio from the mic and feeds it back through the headset. It's messing with the audio, so if you want pristine sound quality you don't want random shit from the mic intruding. The Penrose has an amazingly low sound floor, and turning on sidetone is just pissing that away IMHO.

Frankly I don't need sidetone when using the mic, I've been speaking long enough that I have a pretty good handle on how to do it now lol. Maybe it helps if you're worried about speaking too loudly and disturbing others, but I tend to think that at that point you should probably be even more considerate, and just mute your mic :)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sidetone takes audio from the mic and feeds it back through the headset. It's messing with the audio, so if you want pristine sound quality you don't want random shit from the mic intruding. The Penrose has an amazingly low sound floor, and turning on sidetone is just pissing that away IMHO.

Frankly I don't need sidetone when using the mic, I've been speaking long enough that I have a pretty good handle on how to do it now lol. Maybe it helps if you're worried about speaking too loudly and disturbing others, but I tend to think that at that point you should probably be even more considerate, and just mute your mic :)
Gotcha, fair points actually. I think I'll do that too. Never needed that feedback before this mic, no reason to start now lol.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Anybody looking for a black arctis 7p (UK) before I post them elsewhere? Had them for couple of weeks and don't like them

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Penrose X this week and love them. So convenient and they sound amazing. I also ordered a LCD-GX figuring I'd send the Penrose back but I am keeping the Penrose. Honestly best gaming headphone out there. Something about those planar magnetic drivers

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia

Alright between you two and endlessflood, I've decided I'm going with the Penrose. One question that's not a dealbreaker by any means is have any of you used them to watch movies/tv shows? If so how do they perform with that type of content?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So is there a general consensus in here? I haven't felt this overwhelmed with options in a long time. I have no idea what to go for. I'd say 150 is as much as I wanna spend.

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So is there a general consensus in here? I haven't felt this overwhelmed with options in a long time. I have no idea what to go for. I'd say 150 is as much as I wanna spend.

Not really. Self described "audiophiles" will tell you these are all terrible. Everyone else will just recommend what they bought.

imo you can't go wrong with the 7x/7p from Arctis, or the Penrose, as described above. The sony golds and pulse 3d seem to have less promotors on Era relative to when the golds launched last gen.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As the last poster said basically the Arctic 7X for your price are great. The Penrose are the next step up. A lot of audiophiles won't really like any of these, but the general user will be happy.

My middle child has the 7X she got for Xmas, and she loves them.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, guys. I'm looking at the 7X now in reviews. Seems pretty solid overall. I'm still using this PS4 Gold headset and I kinda hate it, so I need a change.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the Audeze Penrose, I mentioned it a few pages ago, but definitely update the firmware for mic improvement (it is a very noticeable upgrade).

I recommend trying out some of the recommendations for the EQ settings on Reddit or the official Audeze release. I think they sound much better with just a little tweaking in the application and you can always just default if you don't find a setting you like. You can also change the EQ settings on the fly while listening to music or playing, as long as they're plugged into your PC, so it's a very easy way to test them out.

I use 0 (-1) (-1) (-3) (-3) (-3) (-2) (-1) 0 0

Audeze also officially released some of their own presets last month: https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-presets

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Alright between you two and endlessflood, I've decided I'm going with the Penrose. One question that's not a dealbreaker by any means is have any of you used them to watch movies/tv shows? If so how do they perform with that type of content?
Just watched the opening scenes of Blade Runner 2049, Mad Max: Fury Road, the lobby scene of The Matrix, and the docking sequence for Dr. Mann in Interstellar. I also threw in some Star Trek: Discovery. In a word, the sound is Outstanding.

As I've mentioned before: what I've found with headphones is that if they perform well in music, they will do everything else well. Penrose w/ the latest updates are no exception. They are excellent in music, as most Audeze headphones are. They are equally impressive in movies. No, they aren't as good as my LCD-4's. But they are a close enough approximation that I don't mind that I'm not wearing my LCD-4's and haven't worn them all day. I'm around 10 hours straight in these Penrose's, playing music, gaming, and watching some Netflix. Also done some calls via Google Voice. 80%-100% volume. Still at 30% battery. It's a helluva kit, IMO.

What's really nice about the Penrose is that you can adjust the EQ to maximize the sound to your tastes, and it stores it onboard for whatever console, phone or PC you hook it up to after will run with your EQ'd settings.

Regarding the Audeze Penrose, I mentioned it a few pages ago, but definitely update the firmware for mic improvement (it is a very noticeable upgrade).

I recommend trying out some of the recommendations for the EQ settings on Reddit or the official Audeze release. I think they sound much better with just a little tweaking in the application and you can always just default if you don't find a setting you like. You can also change the EQ settings on the fly while listening to music or playing, as long as they're plugged into your PC, so it's a very easy way to test them out.

I use 0 -1 -1 -3 -3 -3 -2 -1 0 0

Audeze also officially released some of their own presets last month: https://www.audeze.com/pages/audeze-hq-presets
This is what I like about the Penrose: thanks to the EQ you can do anything you want with the sound. My settings are almost the complete opposite, but most of my music is best when rich. R&B, Hop-Hop, Jazz, movies. I use 4 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 0 - (-1) - (-1) - (-1) and I'm happier than a pig in slop.

I'll put your preset on my Preset 2 and give it a try.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, guys. I'm looking at the 7X now in reviews. Seems pretty solid overall. I'm still using this PS4 Gold headset and I kinda hate it, so I need a change.

Yeah I stepped up from the "new" golds to the 7P (since the 7X is inexplicably absent from my country), and am VERY happy. Very comfortable and far better sound quality than the golds.