• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone using a Logitech G Pro X Wireless? Just ordered one for mainly PC usage with a side of PS5.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I've been using Arctis Pro Wireless but was sad to learn none of the current gen systems provide SPIDF/TOSLINK output. I'll continue using this for my PC and phone.

With that said, I ended up ordering the 7X from the restock earlier this week using the 12% discount code (Code: FORM)

While audio quality for "gaming headsets" doesn't compare to a proper audiophile headset, their sound quality is still solid~very good for gaming purposes. More importantly, at least for me, Pro Wireless' versatility for supporting dual stream simultaneous audio channels (Bluetooth for phone and TOSLINK/USB for PC) and swappable rechargeable batteries has been a godsend for both work and play. I can literally be on a wireless headset 24/7 because of this.

Meanwhile, 7X will serve me well for my XSX/PS5/SWITCH though I will miss the dual channel Bluetooth connectivity and swappable battery.

Hopefully they'll release an updated Pro Wireless that works on PS5/XSX.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any major differences between the Arctis 7 (2019 edition) and 7X besides the additional wireless feature on Xbox?

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the £250-300 price point are the penrose or Arctis Pro better? Or is there another headset I haven't read about for less but only slightly worse audio quality? If there's any normal headphones I'd prefer those, don't need any gaming features. I play on both xbox and ps so I'd be using them for both platforms

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Anyone using a Logitech G Pro X Wireless? Just ordered one for mainly PC usage with a side of PS5.
Had a pair a month ago. Didn't like the shallow cups and I have "normal" ears.
You can't activate Dolby Atmos with them on PC either. They work with ps5 and tempest 3d. Returned them.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
At the £250-300 price point are the penrose or Arctis Pro better? Or is there another headset I haven't read about for less but only slightly worse audio quality? If there's any normal headphones I'd prefer those, don't need any gaming features. I play on both xbox and ps so I'd be using them for both platforms
The Penrose has better audio quality. For me that trumps everything, it might not for you.

FWIW, IGN did a shootout of gaming headsets a few days ago, and rated the Penrose as the "absolute best gaming headset you can buy," with Arctis Pro as runner-up.

Here's a direct comparison of the Penrose and Arctis Pro:

All that said, I'm not sure about Xbox compatibility for the Arctis Pro Wireless, maybe someone else can weigh in. The Penrose X works on both PlayStation and Xbox.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Penrose has better audio quality. For me that trumps everything, it might not for you.

FWIW, IGN did a shootout of gaming headsets a few days ago, and rated the Penrose as the "absolute best gaming headset you can buy," with Arctis Pro as runner-up.

Here's a direct comparison of the Penrose and Arctis Pro:

All that said, I'm not sure about Xbox compatibility for the Arctis Pro Wireless, maybe someone else can weigh in. The Penrose X works on both PlayStation and Xbox.

Thanks for the links. The Steelseries doesn't seem to natively support chat, which isn't an issue i dont use the xbox for multiplayer, but it's only £36 cheaper.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let me know how you get on. I can't see you being anything other than happy though as it's a really basic setup and just works.
So I set everything up with that switch, generally works well, but do you have to unplug your dongle from the switch whenever flipping the switch on the dongle from Xbox to PC and vice versa? It's a slight inconvenience as I was expecting never needing to unplug it, but it doesn't switch over when switching between Xbox and PC mode.

As in, I'll have it switched to Xbox while playing Xbox, but then when I play Switch or PlayStation and I need to flip the switch on that dongle to PC, I need to unplug it and plug it back in for it to work.

Oct 29, 2017
So I set everything up with that switch, generally works well, but do you have to unplug your dongle from the switch whenever flipping the switch on the dongle from Xbox to PC and vice versa? It's a slight inconvenience as I was expecting never needing to unplug it, but it doesn't switch over when switching between Xbox and PC mode.

As in, I'll have it switched to Xbox while playing Xbox, but then when I play Switch or PlayStation and I need to flip the switch on that dongle to PC, I need to unplug it and plug it back in for it to work.

That's odd, I've not unplugged the dongle since I got the switch and it's been fine.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So are the Arctis 7/7x/7p and other Steelseries headsets just simply tuned to have no bass? I've been trying the different EQ presets and A/B with some of my other headphones/headsets. Can't really get them to sound the way I want.

When playing COD and firing my gun there's like almost no omph and the gunshot and reload sounds are really really sharp/harsh sounding. I'm not even like a basshead or anything but it feels like there's zero here.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So are the Arctis 7/7x/7p and other Steelseries headsets just simply tuned to have no bass? I've been trying the different EQ presets and A/B with some of my other headphones/headsets. Can't really get them to sound the way I want.

When playing COD and firing my gun there's like almost no omph and the gunshot and reload sounds are really really sharp/harsh sounding. I'm not even like a basshead or anything but it feels like there's zero here.

I noticed the same thing on CoD. For stuff like CoD much of the bass effect is actually directed to the tweeters and mids, like an initial crash/shatter then boom. So it's not picked up as prominently by the Arctis headset.

Music bass through YouTube seems completely fine though. So I'm guessing it's just the way CoD is mastered.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a pair of Corsair Virtuoso headphones the other day.

They sound great, and I love their design, but I'm returning them tomorrow. They're just way too uncomfortable. The faux leather earpads are stiff, and there isn't nearly enough padding on the headband.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I went back to my Gen2 A50s maybe twice since getting the 7x in November and have been struck how good the 7x is even without having a base station/DAC whatever its called. Sound quality better than the A50s with none of the interference. Only reason I leave the A50s plugged in is because moving the adapter is kind of a pain every time I want to switch!

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Got my Arctis 7p direct from Steelseries today. I'm very happy with the weight and comfort. It's noticeably worse than my high end wired headphones but I need to give it some time on PS5 and Switch games to decide if it's worth it for the convenience and comfort - overall I suspect it is.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Trying out a Sennheiser 370 headset. Initial impressions are good. Haven't tried the mic yet, but it sounds great, and it was so light that I actually double checked it was in the box before leaving the store.

Most important of all, it's very comfortable on my head. Nice padding on the headband, and the earcups are nice and deep.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Well now I need to decide if I replace my Hyper X Cloud Flights with the Penrose. I'm mostly happy with the Hyper X's, but I don't like that they lack an auxiliary connection and using them anywhere but the PS5 is essentially a no go.

I'm sure the Penrose also have a better sound profile as well.

If peak volume is a concern I wouldn't purchase the Cloud Flights.
I've never found the Hyper X brand headsets particularly loud.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My wife was a sweetie and got wind that I was on the market for a new Wireless headset. She got me the A20's from Astro and although I had my eye on the Corsair Virtuoso I didn't return them because I just hate to return stuff that she gives me.
Been using them for a month now and they are really good sound-wise and are very comfortable on my ears. Have yet to play a multiplayer on them because I'm a bit burned out on the Warzone front and have been devouring Cyberpunk.

Have yet to use them on the PS5 but just want to say that they hurt me on top of my head. :(

Oct 27, 2017
If peak volume is a concern I wouldn't purchase the Cloud Flights.
I've never found the Hyper X brand headsets particularly loud.
Yeah they're what I'm using now and while I rarely have them set to max volume, the max volume isn't quite where I would want it to be, if that makes sense. I want the ability to blast a game or movie loudly, even if I rarely would use it.

FatalKuma

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought the Arctis 9, was on sold on Amazon France. Satisfied so far with PS5 3D on TLOU 2 (but you have to really correctly wear the headset and configure 3D audio, otherwise the sound is quite bad).
I like the ability to have at the same time the sound of the game and Discord on my phone with the extra Bluetooth connection.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Got my 7x.

Not sure about comfort, as I will have to put some time in them. My ears touch the driver. I know after while the a40 would hurt a little.

Side time is appreciated. But super sensitive. I can hear myself breath and every controller button.

May have to tweak that.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to upgrade the Arctis 9X without using a PC? My notebook is being repaired now

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got my 7x.

Not sure about comfort, as I will have to put some time in them. My ears touch the driver. I know after while the a40 would hurt a little.

Side time is appreciated. But super sensitive. I can hear myself breath and every controller button.

May have to tweak that.

I still prefer the pleather pads on the HyperX Cloud II overall, but these are okay. I may swap out the pads eventually if I feel the need. Definitely more nervous with handling the Arctis as all those breakage pictures really freak me out. The HyperX feels stronger and more resistant to abuse too.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, now my TV won't output to speakers. What the heck.
Could be this:
With the 7P, I have to pull the dongle on PS5 to get it to stop sending to the headset even if the headset is off. 3rd party headsets...

PS5, nihilence ? If the dongle is plugged in, it will default on the PS5 to headphone output. Meaning nothing will come out of your speakers. The solution is to either pull the dongle completely out of the system, or, go into your PS5 audio settings, and change the audio output from USB headset to TV or AV amplifier option instead.

Mar 8, 2018
Penrose X came today. The clamping force is pretty tight, creating a lot of pressure in my ears, so I'll be looking to loosen that over time. Sound quality is great though.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any good Steelseries Engine EQ settings for the Arctis 7x with single player games on Xbox One? I'm using it with the Atmos app.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
There needs to be a damn guide on these things. If I have ps4 and series X what headset do I need that I can just use wirelessly for both without needing to change dongle?

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Got the Arctis 7 (2019 edition), surprisingly comfortable and works well, but need to use it long-term to know fully.

I have to say the Line In port feature of it is pretty awesome and hope I get no problems with it. I managed to get both PC and even Xbox audio wirelessly at the same time by connecting a 2nd Xbox controller to Line In. As long as the 2nd controller is hooked up to the console as well then it will continuously broadcast audio without idling off, it appears.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
G PRO X Wireless is fucking incredible headset. I'm using it with PS5 and works great with Tempest 3D. Especially on multiplayer.

I highly recommend this badass if you are looking something for games and movies.

Logitech-G-PRO-X-9-min.jpg

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My Penrose X came last weekend, and I've been putting it through it's paces over the last week or so.

Just a little background on myself, I am not an audiophile and this is by far the most expensive pair of headphones I have ever purchased. I'm primarily a console gamer, and was using a Cloud Stinger plugged into PS4 controller the last few years. (which for the price is pretty darn good IMO) I bought the Penrose X primarily for PS5 and Switch use, and probably Xbox in the future. I initially tried the Pulse 3D headset, which I didn't like very much and returned.

Initial impressions right out of the box: These do have that 'premium' audio gear feel, which is nice. They just feel 'substantial'. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure most folks reading this know what I'm talking about. The Pulse 3D feels like a Fisher Price toy compared to these.

First thing I did was hook them up to BT on my phone. They sound really good hooked up to my phone this way, the volume gets extremely loud. In fact I was not able to turn it up more than halfway. They do connect to BT and the dongle at the same time if you want. I'm not sure how much I'll use it, but it does work well. The phone/dongle audio balance, the phone is a bit louder. So it's really good for podcasts, with the game audio still going quietly in the background. Pretty neat.

I connected them to my PS5 via the dongle. It paired right away with the dongle and I have had no drop outs. PS5 even recognizes it as 'Penrose'. I sit about 3.5m away from my PS5 and the dongle was plugged into the front port.

The audio quality on the PS5 was good, but seemed not quite as good as BT to my phone. I tried several different games. Tetris Effect and Amplitude, since they are music games. Sound is plenty loud. I also tried MK11 Ultimate, Tomb Raider, and AC: Valhalla (lol). I'm still unsure about the 3D Audio on PS5. Just seems for the most part to make things quieter. Tomb Raider def. has some positional audio going on and MK 11 has good bass. Valhalla is infamous for it's poor sound, but I was pleasantly surprised that it did sound better to me. Not great, but better. I was worried the higher quality of the headset would actually amplify the issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Astro's Playroom probably sounded the best. 3D Audio def. noticeable in that game, and the sound stage is much wider than my Stingers plugged into the controller.

Real quick, on Switch they also work well and sound very good. Actually think they sound better than PS5, it does get louder. The Panzer Dragoon OST sounded magnificent through the headset.

One last, but important note on comfort. It definitely has a high clamp force out of the box. the padding on the top and earphones seems good and is soft, but after about an hour I could def. feel it.
I wear glasses as well. I've been doing the 'pillow trick' to loosen them up a bit. That does help, and I hope to break them in more going forward. The Stinger was the same way where there was a break in period.

There is an Android and Windows app you can use to set eq levels and update firmware. Windows app works fine, but I didn't mess with the EQ. Nice you can get firmware updates.

Overall I'm pretty happy, these are def. nice and I will use them a lot this console generation.

Last edited: