• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would love the Artic 7x but man they are so expensive in Canada with stupid expensive shipping. Any Canadians have any good cheaper alternative ideas? (Would need them for Series X only)

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I had it in my cart but I just couldn't pull the trigger on the 7X. I felt like I was being more impulsive rather than having some patience will probably be better in the long run. Especially since I haven't completely ruled out the Penrose X yet either at this point.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I had it in my cart but I just couldn't pull the trigger on the 7X. I felt like I was being more impulsive rather than having some patience will probably be better in the long run. Especially since I haven't completely ruled out the Penrose X yet either at this point.
I had a pair of audeze planar headphones and they were amazing. Lcd-x. If they're half as good and 300 dollars I'd have no hesitation getting them.

I just wish all these headphones worked with both consoles

Last edited:

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I had a pair of audeze planar headphones and they were amazing. Lcd-x. If they're half as good and 300 dollars I'd have no hesitation getting them.

I just wish all these headphones worked with both consoles

It sounds like Sony allows standard USB digital audio devices to "just work" but they have to pay a licensing fee to advertise support on the box. Microsoft requires devices to be specifically certified and pay them the fee to even work, and also wants the logo on the box. IMO I would say MS is the one holding back more widespread support given those terms.

I still haven't decided on the Penrose or the Arctis 7P... I think I'm leaning towards saving the money since I don't really need audio quality as much for gaming as music and I have nice headphones for music already. The bluetooth support might be nice for using the Penrose at work though. My main concern is that for gaming I want it to be comfortable for hours and that seems to be a hit and miss opinion on the Penrose depending on who is reviewing it, while the Steelseries are getting more universal praise for comfort.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like Sony allows standard USB digital audio devices to "just work" but they have to pay a licensing fee to advertise support on the box. Microsoft requires devices to be specifically certified and pay them the fee to even work, and also wants the logo on the box. IMO I would say MS is the one holding back more widespread support given those terms.

I still haven't decided on the Penrose or the Arctis 7P... I think I'm leaning towards saving the money since I don't really need audio quality as much for gaming as music and I have nice headphones for music already. The bluetooth support might be nice for using the Penrose at work though. My main concern is that for gaming I want it to be comfortable for hours and that seems to be a hit and miss opinion on the Penrose depending on who is reviewing it, while the Steelseries are getting more universal praise for comfort.
It's gotta be a person to person thing as far as what is comfy or not

I had zero issued listening to music for an hour or 2 with a big audeze headphone. I know they bother people but I had zero issues with audeze size and weight

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

Yeah, despite being on the lookout for 7xs for a little while now, I didn't end up getting it. I was mostly planning to get it because I had issues with static and disconnections when using my Sony headphones when wired and hoped a wireless headset would resolve this. Then I found out in a Reddit thread that it may be my sound bar causing interference, which turned out to be true.

Since resolving it, it just feels hard to spend $150 on a seat of cans when I already have a pair of solid headphones I can use wired, plus a cheaper turtle beach set I can use if I ever need a mic.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed the 7x last month and have been loving them. Very comfortable, long battery and most importantly sound great. Also I'll be using these for the XSX and PS5 and it's pretty easy to switch between the two.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So, i have 2 Wireless headsets for Xbox series X and i will do a quick comparison.

TurtleBeach Stealth 600 gen 1 (these were a gift but were purchased for £80 last year)

Pros
  • Good surround sound
  • Works well with Dolby Atmos
  • light
  • Comfortable
  • 4 decent presets for sound
Cons
  • Microphone isn't great and friends would often say my voice sounded 'tinny'
  • Microphone is also flimsy, mine broke after a few months of use, but this was fixed by myself

Artic 9x (these were purchased for £179.99 shortly before the holidays)

Pros

• Great surround sound
  • Works well with Dolby Atmos
  • Comfortable
  • Great Microphone
  • Good presets with lots of options
  • Added blutooth means i can take calls or listen to spotify from my phone during games
Cons

• Although these are more comfortable than my turtlebeach's, my ears get really hot after a while so the Turtles are better for long sessions
  • The Range on these is far worse than the Turtles. If I step out of the room with these on they disconnect
  • Could be louder, full blast is not quiet there for me

If both headsets were the same price then the Artics would win hands down, they sound better, have a better microphone, feel more premium and have blutooth options, but in my opinion they are not worth twice the money. The Range on them is terrible and long gaming sessions or movie watching will often leave me having to take a break.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
For Penrose I had clamping around the top of my jaw for the first few days of use but that went completly.

I did recently have my hair cut and seem to notice more pressure on the top of my head now though haha, has a few times caused an ache so I do move them around. I think it is more to do with the position they sometimes go to as othertimes I can wear them for 3 hours + without issue.

Sound quality is brilliant, I used to think my MDR100X sounded great with music until I tried these, made me understand why people can spend 000s on headphones.

ElGrego

Oct 15, 2020
I'm looking for a headset that can provide audio from a Nintendo Switch and to connect to my P.C / phone for Discord voicechat, ideally wirelessly. Are the Steelseries Arctis 7x or 9 the best options?

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Steel series 7x in stock. Used a random shock12 code for 12% off.

Decided to finally give them a try.

For someone really not understanding the difference between all the lines and their capabilities.

Like what is the difference between the 1 and 7x?
Same driver specs, USB audio. I'm missing something?
Thats what im wondering. Because i have the 1s and i think they sounds OK? and if they use the same driver then its meh for me. i think its mainly due to the headband design, and maybe more battery?

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Been debating between buying Logitech G Pro X Wireless or the Razer Blackshark V2 Pro, anyone have any experience with either?
G Pro X wireless is my current favorite headset, super comfortable, comes with 2 different types of earcups, excellent battery life, great wireless range.

The only con against it is that the bass isn't as good as I'd like it, even with adjustments through the logitech G hub app when I use it on PC. Microphone is pretty decent for a wireless headset, but still not as good as most wired headsets. The only mic on a wireless headset I've been impressed with was the Corsair Virtuoso SE, but everything else about that headset is inferior imo.

G Pro X wireless is my current favorite headset, super comfortable, comes with 2 different types of earcups, excellent battery life, great wireless range.

The only con against it is that the bass isn't as good as I'd like it, even with adjustments through the logitech G hub app when I use it on PC. Microphone is pretty decent for a wireless headset, but still not as good as most wired headsets. The only mic on a wireless headset I've been impressed with was the Corsair Virtuoso SE, but everything else about that headset is inferior imo.

Bet. Might have to pick one up today or tomorrow.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just picked up an arctis 1 headset on amazon. I can't justify spending more than $100 on a headset when I'm not that big of an audiophile. I'll post my impressions once I get it and play with them for a few days.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
my stealth 700 gen 2s for xbox just got delivered. Sounds noticeably nicer than my Arctis 1s.

Im using it for PC, and will connect the BT to my TV and i'll see how that goes for latency.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just received the Audeze Penrose X, but the user guide isn't working online.

Can anyone explain the Xbox/PC switch on the USB dongle? I have the dongle connected to a USB hub to easily switch between Xbox/PS5/Switch.

EDIT: Appears as tho you need to switch the dongle to PC to use with the PS5 and Nintendo Switch, and have it on Xbox for Xbox. Thought I read you didn't need to do that, but I guess I was mistaken.

EDIT 2: This iPhone app is garbage. There's nothing on it lol, it's completely useless. Is here a way to adjust the mix of Bluetooth vs wireless game audio?

Last edited:

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
Just received the Audeze Penrose X, but the user guide isn't working online.

Can anyone explain the Xbox/PC switch on the USB dongle? I have the dongle connected to a USB hub to easily switch between Xbox/PS5/Switch.

EDIT: Appears as tho you need to switch the dongle to PC to use with the PS5 and Nintendo Switch, and have it on Xbox for Xbox. Thought I read you didn't need to do that, but I guess I was mistaken.

EDIT 2: This iPhone app is garbage. There's nothing on it lol, it's completely useless. Is here a way to adjust the mix of Bluetooth vs wireless game audio?
First edit is correct Xbox switch for Xbox then then PC for everything else.

I'm pretty sure they are not doing an IOS app so it is likely an old one, no idea what page sorry but it was mentioned in here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-penrose-x-and-penrose.937477/
Only app that works properly at the moment is on PC, Andriod should be coming at some point.

This may help for the bluetooth audio mix, it defaults to make bluetooth louder, there is an article linked in this but not sure how useful it is. https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-both-Bluetooth-and-Wireless-at-the-same-time

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First edit is correct Xbox switch for Xbox then then PC for everything else.

I'm pretty sure they are not doing an IOS app so it is likely an old one, no idea what page sorry but it was mentioned in here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-penrose-x-and-penrose.937477/
Only app that works properly at the moment is on PC, Andriod should be coming at some point.

This may help for the bluetooth audio mix, it defaults to make bluetooth louder, there is an article linked in this but not sure how useful it is. https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-both-Bluetooth-and-Wireless-at-the-same-time
Appreciate the help! While informative, searching around those links didn't provide a solution for independent volume control for Bluetooth vs wireless. I think I'll have to deal with loud Bluetooth while using the dual audio until enough people make them update it lol.

What a damn shame about no iOS tho.

This was another article I came across for it, for anyone interested -- https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...ed-to-Bluetooth-and-Wireless-at-the-same-time

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Besides the official dongle you can purchase off of Steel Series' webpage (which has been out of stock for a long time), is there any other generic usb dongle that might be compatible? I was wanting to have a dongle connected to both my Xbox and my PlayStation, to make switching easier.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
After using the 7P for over a month now, I can say that I'm ok with the sound quality, however the comfort level is not what I would like it to be.
I like the mesh ear cups but they are just too small for my massive ears ( I swear they keep getting bigger). Anything over 1 hour and it starts to get painful.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they just made a wireless version of the HyperX Cloud with a better mic. Good sound profile, and the most comfortable and well built headphones that I've used.

I'm still on a search for a good and versatile wireless headset. Ideally, they'd support simultaneous bluetooth and USB wifi, and be very comfortable over long periods of time. The Arctis 9 seem to be the only headset that actually fits the bill so far, but I know from past experience with Syberia headphones that I find the Steelseries sound signature to be very muddy.

Penrose isn't an option. I already tried them. Too buggy and unfinished, and most importantly, too uncomfortable for long gaming sessions.

stormplyr

Oct 29, 2017
Got my penrose from amazon yesterday for my PS5. The audio thru them on the ps5 is just quiet and I couldn't adjust the volume with the turn dial on the headphones themself. Pretty annoying. Is there a way around this?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Got my penrose from amazon yesterday for my PS5. The audio thru them on the ps5 is just quiet and I couldn't adjust the volume with the turn dial on the headphones themself. Pretty annoying. Is there a way around this?
The volume slider on the headset adjusts the headset volume.

To change the volume of the signal from the PS5: press the PS button to bring up the control centre, click on the icon that looks like a speaker with sound waves coming out of it, and then slide the volume slider labelled "headphones."

Also, if you haven't already, make sure you apply the firmware update from your PC with the Audeze HQ app (and I recommend turning off sidetone there as well).

stormplyr

Oct 29, 2017
The volume slider on the headset adjusts the headset volume.

To change the volume of the signal from the PS5: press the PS button to bring up the control centre, click on the icon that looks like a speaker with sound waves coming out of it, and then slide the volume slider labelled "headphones."

Also, if you haven't already, make sure you apply the firmware update from your PC with the Audeze HQ app (and I recommend turning off sidetone there as well).

Yeah that's what I did last night was change the volume they the system. I just thought the volume slider on the headset would've done that. Seems like it would be less hassle.

I just did the firmware update and will try them tonight. Watching my 2 year old today, so can't play.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I have been using Steelseries 7x for over a month now. It's still super comfortable, connectivity is solid and its very versatile. I even use it as my work headset for conf calls now :).

Soundwise it's not the greatest admittedly, and can't be compared to say HD6xx or even Philips Fidelio X2HR, but for the cost and versality I feel it's worth it. If I really want better sound signature from consoles I will hook up my Schiit stack to it through TV optical and use wired cans.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
20210114_153002.jpg

Finally got my headhphones, so far they are working great, although my PC died so I cant upgrade the firmware

Any customization tips for both the xbox and my pc/mobile? Also can I connect them to the switch?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the official dongle you can purchase off of Steel Series' webpage (which has been out of stock for a long time), is there any other generic usb dongle that might be compatible? I was wanting to have a dongle connected to both my Xbox and my PlayStation, to make switching easier.

From what I can gather, you can only have one dongle paired at a time so you have to swap it around or get a USB switch. What you want is what I've been looking for so I haven't picked up a headset yet since nothing meets that criteria so far.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered the Penrose from Amazon. Shipping end of the month. Excited to hear these shits after all the hype.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
From what I can gather, you can only have one dongle paired at a time so you have to swap it around or get a USB switch. What you want is what I've been looking for so I haven't picked up a headset yet since nothing meets that criteria so far.
Understood. Thank you for clarifying! That's certainly disappointing.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
7x and 9x instock again.

Question about the mixer on the cups. Normally the dashboard let's you set the mix. Does it recognize and override it? Or do you set it to neutral, and then use the headset.

I imagine having the dashboard set all to one side would interfere with the headset setting.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
7x and 9x instock again.

Question about the mixer on the cups. Normally the dashboard let's you set the mix. Does it recognize and override it? Or do you set it to neutral, and then use the headset.

I imagine having the dashboard set all to one side would interfere with the headset setting.
From what I recall when I first got my 7x, the mixer dial controls the mix on the console. The volume (on the console) is fixed though at max so that you can adjust the full range from the headset.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
7x and 9x instock again.

I have the 7x and the only thing it lets you adjust is headset volume. The headset chat mixer option is grayed out and controlled by the headset itself.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
After using the 7P for over a month now, I can say that I'm ok with the sound quality, however the comfort level is not what I would like it to be.
I like the mesh ear cups but they are just too small for my massive ears ( I swear they keep getting bigger). Anything over 1 hour and it starts to get painful.

FYI, you can change the earpads for something a bit larger like the Brainwavz Oval, I had to swap the originals out on my Pros because occasionally the angled driver would touch my ear. Also the original pads are very slippery, I almost flung the headphones off my head a couple of times. I tried the angled oval sheepskin pads I had laying around first and they helped with the driver touching, but due to the angle and lack of traction with the elastic band ended up sliding forward. I finally ended up with the round sheepskin pads, they're not much bigger than the originals, but a good bit deeper and have sturdier foam.

--------------------------------

Other than the earpads, I'm pretty lukewarm on the Arctis Pro Wirelesses themselves. Even as someone that has mostly been using wireless headphones for decades (all the way from Sennheiser RS120s, up to the 175s and lately Plantronics Rig 800) I'm not overly excited with the sound quality. I mostly got them for the convenience of the connectivity the base station provides, especially making it possible to mix two sources and control their volumes from the headphones themself. I find the sound pretty uninteresting, it's there and works ok, no big downsides but nothing exciting either. The myriad eq and soundmode options don't really help because of (presumably) the limitations of the headphones themselves, just make you tinker and change modes in search of something better.

They are very utilitarian, everything works as intended and I am very happy with the input options and bluetooth connectivity and how they can be utilized. Despite the bigger base station on the Pro, the wireless connection is nowhere near as robust as Sennheiser 175s and even Rig 800's small transmitter somehow gives better range. Being able to go to another room without cutting out took a qutie a bit of playing around with the transmitter location. The physical construction seems fine, apart from the earpad complaints. Controls are okay, though the volume wheel is a bit too sensitive and in a place where it can be easily inadvertently nudged. The single hinge point on the cup does gives me some pause, but only time will tell how it fares in my use. The elastic band suspender seems like a pretty good idea, but would probably work better with lighter headphones. The steel and aluminium construction makes the headphones heavy enough that I'd prefer the headband to be a more solid contact point, even with proper pads they can be a bit slidey. Comfort is good though, but personally I prefer the Sennheiser/RIG style of light all plastic construction with almost no clamping pressure.

All in all, the Pro Wireless is an inoffensive to okay product, but unless you really need the connectivity I'd look elsewhere, especially on msrp. They do go on pretty steep sales at least here in Europe, I got them for 200€ and saw them go as low as 150€ on black friday, msrp being 349,99€. I still regularly reach for the RIG when I want some impact from games, especially when the content works well with Atmos. Since getting the Pro Wireless I've actually been getting more and more into getting better iems and wired headphones for listening to music. Don't really know if that's something to be taken as a positive for the Arctis Pro.