• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Penrose offers that.

Should add that the balance between Penrose game and BT chat audio is fixed and it's like 90% chat 10% game. The game audio is way too quiet in that scenario and there's no way to change it. Have heard vague talk of an update to this but no assurance of tweaks yet, and the tweak would be changing the balance as they can't make it variable apparently.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
its so unlucky that both the 7x and the penrose x are out of stock and hard to get. i need a headphone for both consoles.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
Are the Penrose headphones comfy for people who have thick framed glasses??
I'm always leary when looking (since I get headaches with the added pressure where the glasses rest on my ears) but I think it's time for a upgrade.
If my ears weren't so small, I would go for an in ear variant. Sadly, they never fit properly. Plus I prefer the sound quality of over the ear ones (:

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if there's an alternative headset with "Dual Wireless" just like the Arctis 9? Being able to listen on in game audio while chatting with people from Discord from my phone at the same time is a huge draw for me but I can't find the Arctis 9 in stock anywhere (Arctis 9x is available but it's useless to me) and I'm not willing to spend $330 (an extra $130 from the Arctis 9) to get the same feature on the still available Arctis Pro Wireless.
Stealth 700 gen 2

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone is interested, I saw Wario's tweet that the black Arctis 7P is in-stock on the SteelSeries site. You need an account to purchase it, but you can use code "Form" to take 10% off the purchase. I have been holding out for the 7X but ended up going this route since I do not own an Xbox and only wanted the 7X in the unlikely event I bought an Xbox.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Never had that issue so far.
Oh wow. Nope, no such issue in the EQ in Windows app. I actually had some fun trying to tweak it for various types of media. It was all well and good until I was walked in on singing along to Taylor Swift...
Just to confirm or if either of you could try whenever you get the chance to set the first EQ Slider in the SSE all the way up and play something bass heavy to test if there's any noticeable hissing/static. I'd consider grabbing this version if Steelseries finally fixed this issue after having it around for years with the 2017/2019 Artics 7's.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Just to confirm or if either of you could try whenever you get the chance to set the first EQ Slider in the SSE all the way up and play something bass heavy to test if there's any noticeable hissing/static. I'd consider grabbing this version if Steelseries finally fixed this issue after having it around for years with the 2017/2019 Artics 7's.

I can try that when I get home tonight.

wildemu

Mar 31, 2018
I am trying to find a solution that would fit PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC. It looks like the options are:

Penrose X
Arctis 7x
Sennheiser PC38x

From reading the head-fi thread, it seems like the Penrose still has some bugs that need to be ironed out, like the crackling/popping or battery life that people have reported. I'd love to get these but am concerned that a $300 pair of headphones will become useless after a couple of years unless I submit a battery replacement request.

I don't know too much about the 7X except they are also well-received, just a bit inferior in sound compared to the Penrose. The price is more appealing, but also battery life is a concern for me.

The last one is the PC38x where it is the only wired option, but is also well received. These would just be powered through the controller I am assuming.

Out of the 3, what would fellow posters recommend or feel would be the best all-rounder. I am leaning towards the PC38x but just want to see if there are any drawbacks to them.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I am trying to find a solution that would fit PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC. It looks like the options are:

Penrose X
Arctis 7x
Sennheiser PC38x

From reading the head-fi thread, it seems like the Penrose still has some bugs that need to be ironed out, like the crackling/popping or battery life that people have reported. I'd love to get these but am concerned that a $300 pair of headphones will become useless after a couple of years unless I submit a battery replacement request.

I don't know too much about the 7X except they are also well-received, just a bit inferior in sound compared to the Penrose. The price is more appealing, but also battery life is a concern for me.

The last one is the PC38x where it is the only wired option, but is also well received. These would just be powered through the controller I am assuming.

Out of the 3, what would fellow posters recommend or feel would be the best all-rounder. I am leaning towards the PC38x but just want to see if there are any drawbacks to them.
Do you care for wireless? If so, take out pc38x. Outside of that, it honestly comes down to how much are you willing to pay.

wildemu

Mar 31, 2018
Do you care for wireless? If so, take out pc38x. Outside of that, it honestly comes down to how much are you willing to pay.

I am just looking for the most consistent and pleasing audio experience among all the platforms this generation, wireless or not. My concern with wired is whether the wireless headsets outperform wired due to the limitations of the dac in the controllers. I know that it was more flexible with the ps4 and one x because the optical port could've went to your own DAC, not the case with this gen so far.

I feel like i've gone down a rabbit hole, nothing seems to be the perfect option and just have to make the best compromise. If I were to lean, it'd be between the penrose x and arctis 7x. Quite a difference in price, is penrose audio $150 better than the 7x?

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
Getting my SS 9X tomorrow, excited! anything I should do besides update the firmware? For my Series X.

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have good custom EQ settings for Arctis 7X/7P?

I'm not liking any of the presets and most recommendations online advise either the Performance preset or cranking the bass up despite the headphones not handling bass well enough (rattling/distortion).

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Audeze can't guarantee that the Penrose X will work on PlayStation devices forever?
Anyone got info on this?

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Does anyone have good custom EQ settings for Arctis 7X/7P?

I'm not liking any of the presets and most recommendations online advise either the Performance preset or cranking the bass up despite the headphones not handling bass well enough (rattling/distortion).

I use this one:

Preset is music, with modifications.

144c64a4ffcd488e8c8f3c27220be329.png

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I
The Arctic 7X and Penrose X aren't PlayStation certified. There are no headsets certified to work on both Xbox and PlayStation. That doesn't mean they don't.
I know that. But from headfi forums there was talk of no guarantee on future support for Penrose x on PlayStation. I rather not buy the X and me having compatibility issues in 2022 on a ps5.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I have my Penroses with PS5 since a few days ago, impressions:

-they sound great, specially with music.
-demons souls sounds terrific, shadow of the tomb raider sounds good too.
-better than the pulse 3D headsets but not sure if 3 times better (99€ vs. 299€)
-blueooth is neat but I can't adjust the level with the wireless to confortable levels to simultaneos listening.

I have not tried any presets, any good one to give ir a go?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
If someone's growing increasingly tired of waiting for new 7x stock, what's considered a good wireless substitute besides the Penrose X, which is more than I, uh, they may want to spend?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I know that. But from headfi forums there was talk of no guarantee on future support for Penrose x on PlayStation. I rather not buy the X and me having compatibility issues in 2022 on a ps5.

So far, Sony's approach with PS4 and PS5 has been to allow any USB audio devices to work on the systems, provided they are using a compatible portion of the USB audio spec. That is what currently allows Penrose X to work.

From a technical perspective, it is possible for Sony to restrict access to only specific devices. For unlicensed devices, the manufacturer would not have any legal recourse to prevent this. That is where the lack of guarantee comes in.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Bought a pair of Crusher ANC wireless earphones that completely cover my ears and have had some surprisingly good results for the last 2 years. And I personally have had awful connectivity and quality issues with Skullcandy or whatever in the past, so my expectations were low low after seeing these on sale for roughly 50% off the suggested MSRP (which I think is too high $300). But, I've seen them clearanced out frequently at Best Buy for like a bill fifty or less a bunch recently, so if anyone is willing to gamble at that range you might wind up with some good cans with some decent longevity, and a bonus bass boost and noise cancelling.

They pair quickly with my Xbox and PS4, and I think I could probably count all the times the connection was interrupted on one hand in that time. PS4 also didn't like them the first time I tried but after it was "come on in". But I grew up using the included shit mics and earbuds and stuff so my bar might be lower than I'm making it sound. Just another toss out in case anyone is curious.

If nothing they make good daily drivers. Not too high end to get slapped up for but can drown out traffic 100%.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I have my Penroses with PS5 since a few days ago, impressions:

-they sound great, specially with music.
-demons souls sounds terrific, shadow of the tomb raider sounds good too.
-better than the pulse 3D headsets but not sure if 3 times better (99€ vs. 299€)
-blueooth is neat but I can't adjust the level with the wireless to confortable levels to simultaneos listening.

I have not tried any presets, any good one to give ir a go?

Is this true that you can't adjust the volume of the wireless and bluetooth connections independently in the Penrose?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
After getting hooked back into Gears 5 I need a headset with chat. I've been using my a40 plugged into the controller and the have been great. But when my buddy wants to play we can't talk.

Cmon Steelseries, make more 7x.

OldeManWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Flyover Country
I think I have kind of a unique ask here --

I'm looking for a wireless headset that can update firmware via iphone/ipad.......I don't have a PC so I am unable to update through that process.
I think this eliminates may options for me. Currently the only one I can find is the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen2.
Any other options? Thanks for any help!

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I think I have kind of a unique ask here --

I'm looking for a wireless headset that can update firmware via iphone/ipad.......I don't have a PC so I am unable to update through that process.
I think this eliminates may options for me. Currently the only one I can find is the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen2.
Any other options? Thanks for any help!
i dont think stealth 700 gen 2 can update firmware via iphone. You can making setting changes but not firmware.

In fact i just ordered one this morning.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Just a headsup to anyone considering Arctis headsets: on PS5 the audio output will not switch automatically when using these headsets. You will need to go in an manually switch the audio EVERY time you turn your console on or switch between headset and TV audio. If the dongle is plugged in, the PS5 will automatically output audio to the headset even if they headset is off. It's a bummer.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
After getting hooked back into Gears 5 I need a headset with chat. I've been using my a40 plugged into the controller and the have been great. But when my buddy wants to play we can't talk.

Cmon Steelseries, make more 7x.

I have an alert on just about every website I can think of, crickets for months.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered a Penrose X. My favorite headphones were Planar Magnetic so I'm hoping these can capture some of the glory of those.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Just a heads up that the 7x is back in stock on the Steel Series site as of right now: Link

I had signed up for the "notify me" feature and just got the email about it.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up that the 7x is back in stock on the Steel Series site as of right now: Link

I had signed up for the "notify me" feature and just got the email about it.

Weird, I got the e-mail and it's still showing Notify Me. I'm seeing the 9X in stock though.

Edit: Had to log out and then was able to make an order as a guest. Hope that doesn't screw anything up.

Last edited:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Steel series 7x in stock. Used a random shock12 code for 12% off.

Decided to finally give them a try.

For someone really not understanding the difference between all the lines and their capabilities.

Like what is the difference between the 1 and 7x?
Same driver specs, USB audio. I'm missing something?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Steel series 7x in stock. Used a random shock12 code for 12% off.

Decided to finally give them a try.

For someone really not understanding the difference between all the lines and their capabilities.

Like what is the difference between the 1 and 7x?
Same driver specs, USB audio. I'm missing something?

If you're like me and not the biggest audiophile, the 7X's are great. They sound good and working on all your devices is rad. They're also comfy too. I wouldn't get too hung up as what you're in store for is going to serve you good.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully same amount of discount. Who's FORM? I was watching a random Arctis video when I got the email and used the code they had.

If you're like me and not the biggest audiophile, the 7X's are great. They sound good and working on all your devices is rad. They're also comfy too. I wouldn't get too hung up as what you're in store for is going to serve you good.

I just know I got the Gears 5 bug again, and after playing with old a40 (jack into controller), it's hard to play without. But I couldn't play with a buddy due to mic.

Are 1s and 7x the same audio, just fit and mix option? And if there any hiss? With the a40, when I used the mix amp, it was bad depending on balance (maybe flawed).

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Thankfully same amount of discount. Who's FORM? I was watching a random Arctis video when I got the email and used the code they had.

I just know I got the Gears 5 bug again, and after playing with old a40 (jack into controller), it's hard to play without. But I couldn't play with a buddy due to mic.

Are 1s and 7x the same audio, just fit and mix option? And if there any hiss? With the a40, when I used the mix amp, it was bad depending on balance (maybe flawed).

With the 7X you'll still need to hook up to the PC to set your mix outside the default, I haven't noticed in problems with that though. As for hissing, I noticed that if the mic button was on it would do that, but I have the mic turned off and they're dead quiet. Unsure if it's still there if you're actually in a party chat.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was able to get a 7x order in, but I couldn't see where to input the promo codes and I went ahead with it anyway. I figured it would go out of stock in no time. I did have a NEWSLETTER10 code, but I couldn't add the headset to my cart while logged in.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I was able to get a 7x order in, but I couldn't see where to input the promo codes and I went ahead with it anyway. I figured it would go out of stock in no time. I did have a NEWSLETTER10 code, but I couldn't add the headset to my cart while logged in.

I bought mine for full-price at Walmart and haven't regretted it. Definitely a good deal for those who got in and used the code. But they're well worth the price even without it.

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017

It just came back in stock again a few minutes ago. I was able to put in my order.