• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Im only finding the 7p.
Whats the difference between this and 7x?
And I need it to support 3d audio on a ps5.

If someone can link the 7x plz

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Im only finding the 7p.
Whats the difference between this and 7x?
And I need it to support 3d audio on a ps5.

If someone can link the 7x plz

if you plan on owning both systems at any point, get the 7x's.

Both headsets still cannot control the PS5 chat/game balance without going into the system settings.....which honestly is incredibly fast on PS5 to do.

7p's offer mic monitoring so if you like hearing yourself thats the only difference, while the 7x will allow you to adjust game/chat balance on the Series X at least when you get one of those.

Either way 7x is a better value as it allows 100% on all devices.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Im on PC for my Xbox needs so the 7p covers all my needs.
Thanks for the replies guys.

yes, then you are good to go.

It's a really solid headset.....they are one of the very few to not feel like they are going to shatter since the bands are 100% metal. You could literally bend the shit out of them and they will not break.

Mar 8, 2018
Really hoping that SteelSeries fixes their warehouse issues soon. Positively lusting after the 7x right now. Would solve so many small annoyances for me.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
if you plan on owning both systems at any point, get the 7x's.

Both headsets still cannot control the PS5 chat/game balance without going into the system settings.....which honestly is incredibly fast on PS5 to do.

7p's offer mic monitoring so if you like hearing yourself thats the only difference, while the 7x will allow you to adjust game/chat balance on the Series X at least when you get one of those.

Either way 7x is a better value as it allows 100% on all devices.

I don't ever plan on owning an Xbox, but does it matter for Nintendo Switch or other systems?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
After using the 7P for a few weeks I gotta say it's one of the most comfortable headsets I've used for gaming. I noticed my mute button sticks though.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
After using the 7P for a few weeks I gotta say it's one of the most comfortable headsets I've used for gaming. I noticed my mute button sticks though.

I'm between this and the Penrose X's. I have HiFiMan HE-400's that I love so I know I'll like the planar magnetic ones a lot... but for gaming it's not quite as important and the extra cost and lower battery might not be worth it.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I have the 7X. They are great. One thing I would like to find, and maybe someone can help here, is a USB A to USB C adapter (a short plug, no cable) where the input socket for the USB C is rotated 90 degrees. It would just make things cleaner and I wouldn't have to bother with the long cable adapter they included. I haven't been able to find such an adapter though. A similar adapter that is USB C to USB C would be great for PS5. You could plug it into the front and not block the USB A port and leave it available for charging the controller.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I have the 7X. They are great. One thing I would like to find, and maybe someone can help here, is a USB A to USB C adapter (a short plug, no cable) where the input socket for the USB C is rotated 90 degrees. It would just make things cleaner and I wouldn't have to bother with the long cable adapter they included. I haven't been able to find such an adapter though. A similar adapter that is USB C to USB C would be great for PS5. You could plug it into the front and not block the USB A port and leave it available for charging the controller.
I just got a standard USB A to C. They were less common than most adapters, so not sure you would be able to find one. I just got a two pack at Staples for $10.

I switch between that and the cable depending on the device. Makes it a little easier to just plug and play.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Was hoping to have gotten these in time for xmas and give some impressions but the status on my Penrose X is:

Code:
In Transit            
12/20/2020 6:53 A.M.
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong   

Past Event    
Shipped              
12/19/2020 2:17 A.M. 
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong   

Past Event
Label Created
12/15/2020 10:00 P.M.
Hong Kong

anyone else?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Was hoping to have gotten these in time for xmas and give some impressions but the status on my Penrose X is:

Code:
In Transit            
12/20/2020 6:53 A.M.
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong   

Past Event    
Shipped              
12/19/2020 2:17 A.M. 
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong   

Past Event
Label Created
12/15/2020 10:00 P.M.
Hong Kong

Mine are arriving tomorrow. UK here, ended up getting them from scan.co.uk (they have stock).

So will post some impressions after that.

anyone else?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I just got a standard USB A to C. They were less common than most adapters, so not sure you would be able to find one. I just got a two pack at Staples for $10.

I switch between that and the cable depending on the device. Makes it a little easier to just plug and play.

Yep, I already have the same, but due to the size of the transmitter you can't plug it into bottom USB port on Switch dock or the USB port on the front of the Series X. If I could find one like I described then you COULD plug it into both of those ports. That's really what I'm going for.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
My son's headset (Turtle Beach 600) mute switch is not working and the band is stretched quite a bit. I have a SteelSeries Arctis 1 wireless for my Xbox and I'm planning on either getting a new headset for myself and giving my son mine or getting him a new one. We are mainly Xbox gamers and sometimes PC gaming. Budget is $150 max.

My options are:

SteelSeries Arctis 1 (currently not in stock anywhere)

LucidSound 35X (a bit over budget but they say it's pretty great)

Razer Kaira (save me some money and fits my son Razer Kishi game controller)

Any other headset I should consider?

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody here have the Arctis 9X? As I understood it, it was pretty much the 7X + Bluetooth and folks have been speaking highly of that one in here.

that said, both myself and my mate who purchased one in the states have had kinda awful connectivity issues on random occasions - crackling, cutting in and out. The steel series website seems to indicate there's an issue with "Xbox wireless" and no ETA on a fix

Anybody else having headset issues on this model or really any other?

Damage_inc

Dec 7, 2018
Anybody here have the Arctis 9X? As I understood it, it was pretty much the 7X + Bluetooth and folks have been speaking highly of that one in here.

that said, both myself and my mate who purchased one in the states have had kinda awful connectivity issues on random occasions - crackling, cutting in and out. The steel series website seems to indicate there's an issue with "Xbox wireless" and no ETA on a fix

I have a 9x with a Xbox Series x , no problems so far.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
My son's headset (Turtle Beach 600) mute switch is not working and the band is stretched quite a bit. I have a SteelSeries Arctis 1 wireless for my Xbox and I'm planning on either getting a new headset for myself and giving my son mine or getting him a new one. We are mainly Xbox gamers and sometimes PC gaming. Budget is $150 max.

My options are:

SteelSeries Arctis 1 (currently not in stock anywhere)

LucidSound 35X (a bit over budget but they say it's pretty great)

Razer Kaira (save me some money and fits my son Razer Kishi game controller)

Any other headset I should consider?
Arctis 7x would also fit in here I would think.

Oct 29, 2017

Doesn't the 9x have a direct connection to the Xbox, and some have been issues with that connection? Whereas the 7x connects via a USB dongle and is said to be more reliable.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't the 9x have a direct connection to the Xbox, and some have been issues with that connection? Whereas the 7x connects via a USB dongle and is said to be more reliable.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I just tried to figure out what the difference was and the standpoint was Bluetooth.

I don't need tthe Bluetooth so the 7X would have been fine, but it doesn't seem to be available in AU. I was able to grab the 9X from JBHifi a week ago.

Considering the branding and price I'd have assumed 9X would have been just as good as 7X. This is kinda shit

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
Could those with the 7X try something for me pretty please?

I was looking at the 9X/Penrose X as I want the dual sound, game + Bluetooth but neither seem to tick all boxes.

I understand the 7X can be used wired and possibly at the same time as wireless.....could some people try using wired into their phones/tablets to play music and podcasts while maintaining a perfect wireless connection to their consoles?

This could be the answer for me if everything works ok.

OP
OP
Sutton Dagger

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions of the Penrose X yet? Has anyone confirmed that they can be used in wireless mode for both Series X and PS5?

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I feel like my arctis 7p's sound quality changes everytime I boot up a game after turning the console on. Maybe it's just me. My worry is the settings change on their own or something.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions of the Penrose X yet? Has anyone confirmed that they can be used in wireless mode for both Series X and PS5?
Been using the Penrose X on the PS5, and it works just like the Penrose would. 3D audio, chat, everything. I've also used it on an Xbox One, and since it's licensed with the Xbox branding, you get wireless chat through the headset on Xbox as well.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like my arctis 7p's sound quality changes everytime I boot up a game after turning the console on. Maybe it's just me. My worry is the settings change on their own or something.

3D audio setting in your PS5 audio settings is the problem. Some games sound amazing with it on (TLOU2), others are awful (GoW, use the game's headphones settings and set your PS5 3D audio to OFF).

OP
OP
Sutton Dagger

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Been using the Penrose X on the PS5, and it works just like the Penrose would. 3D audio, chat, everything. I've also used it on an Xbox One, and since it's licensed with the Xbox branding, you get wireless chat through the headset on Xbox as well.
I've been using my Penrose X solely on PS5 and Switch right now, and it's worked perfectly. I'm assuming it works well on the X, but I haven't booted it up to check yet.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Any impressions on audio quality compared to other headsets you've had experience with?

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I'm a bit annoyed that the penrose x works on both. I can return my penrose but costs 20%?! As a restocking fee. Seriously considering it as I doubt I could sell them and buy the x for cheaper.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Any impressions on audio quality compared to other headsets you've had experience with?
I've used the Astro A50 1st gen for all of last gen and a portion of the PS3 gen too.

In my opinion, the Penrose sound superior. I'm not an audiophile, but to my ears, the Penrose just sound more distinct and clear. The bass is punchy when it needs to be but they aren't just relying on the thump. All the sounds are so clear when playing Demon's Souls. The Tempest audio with these is just making my play through so much more immersive.

OP
OP
Sutton Dagger

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
I've used the Astro A50 1st gen for all of last gen and a portion of the PS3 gen too.

In my opinion, the Penrose sound superior. I'm not an audiophile, but to my ears, the Penrose just sound more distinct and clear. The bass is punchy when it needs to be but they aren't just relying on the thump. All the sounds are so clear when playing Demon's Souls. The Tempest audio with these is just making my play through so much more immersive.

Thanks so much for the impressions.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So do headsets like the 7x/7p not support Dolby headphones,dts: headphone x, etc. because Sony only allows tempest now? Or does the vss equivalent still work for older headsets and these ps5 marketed headsets just opted not to include support?

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
If you have an Xbox and use Dolby Atmos while playing PUBG I just found these settings the other day and these settings work really great. I used my Rig 800LX and will try my Arctis 9X this week.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
So does anyone have Penrose / Penrose X equalizer settings that they're using?
I'm using a Mobius preset called "Rounf and Muscular" and honestly it sounds fantastic. Just wondering if anyone has a setting which increases the bass for even more punch?

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I tried performance mode tonight and didn't like it at all. Still using the EQ I posted above. For those getting the 7x, make sure you mess around with the settings because it makes a big difference.

Are you still using the custom EQ you posted, or have you moved on? Just got the 7x and wanted to try different profiles.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Found an Arctis 7P today at my local GameStop. I've been looking for one for weeks. I just stopped in on a whim when I was picking up lunch next door and some guy who thought he was getting a PS5 for Christmas returned it because he ended up not getting a PS5 after all. I snagged it with the quickness.

Damn this thing is comfortable.

Mar 8, 2018
The SteelSeries website now says they're "experiencing shipping delays" instead of performing "warehouse maintenance." Hopefully that means more 7x stock soon.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not sure if I'm liking the sound from the Arctis 7p. Was doing a/b/c test with my Astro A50s Gen 3 and Koss KPH30i + controller. Probably need to try some different EQs.

Also am I just completely missing something? The Game/Chat volume mixer in the PS5 sound menu is always grayed out regardless of what headset setup I'm using.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm liking the sound from the Arctis 7p. Was doing a/b/c test with my Astro A50s Gen 3 and Koss KPH30i + controller. Probably need to try some different EQs.

Also am I just completely missing something? The Game/Chat volume mixer in the PS5 sound menu is always grayed out regardless of what headset setup I'm using.
Comparing open back headphones to closed is a tough sell for me personally. I've always preferred open back so I'm definitely bias. Takes a lot for me to consider closed back over even the Koss KPH phones

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Does anyone know whether the Arctis 7X is fully compatible with Samsung Galaxy S10 phones? It says on the website that it should be compatible with all Galaxy devices that are newer than the Note 10, but the S10 phones came out a few months earlier....