• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Also on the above should I be using on the audio settings of like Jedi fallen order the 5/7:1 setting or headphones for better results? Cod also has presents it seems

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
I've been using the 7X for about 2 weeks now.

They are fantastic and pretty much everything I could have wanted from a "gaming" headset. Yes, I am well aware that a pair of good regular headphones can and will sound better. I have m50s, hd650s, 598s, 880 pros, and a bunch of others I can't remember the model names for.

The 7X are possibly the best "gaming" headset ever. I've used them with the series X, PS5, PC (haven't tried them with my switch yet). I ordered extra USB A to C female cables and have them plugged into the Xbox, PC, and Switch. Just have to move the transmitter around. They don't sound like the best headphones ever, but they sound good, battery life is great, the mic is solid, and the cross platform compatibility makes them amazing.

I am honestly thinking of buying another pair to keep as a backup in case they stop making them or the next version has problems. Want to use this headset for this entire generation if possible.

My only issue is that sometimes the mute button sticks.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah. I can't express how much I've been loving the 7X. The battery is outstanding and will often outlast the controllers.

I also pulled the trigger the other day and purchased the $12 Dolby Atmos app on XSX. Between that and the 3D Audio on PS5, it seems gaming finally got their virtual surround woes in check.

Oct 29, 2017

They are fantastic and pretty much everything I could have wanted from a "gaming" headset. Yes, I am well aware that a pair of good regular headphones can and will sound better. I have m50s, hd650s, 598s, 880 pros, and a bunch of others I can't remember the model names for.

The 7X are possibly the best "gaming" headset ever. I've used them with the series X, PS5, PC (haven't tried them with my switch yet). I ordered extra USB A to C female cables and have them plugged into the Xbox, PC, and Switch. Just have to move the transmitter around. They don't sound like the best headphones ever, but they sound good, battery life is great, the mic is solid, and the cross platform compatibility makes them amazing.

I am honestly thinking of buying another pair to keep as a backup in case they stop making them or the next version has problems. Want to use this headset for this entire generation if possible.

I bought a USB switch and I've got all of the consoles hooked up to that. I still have to flip the toggle when I want to play on the Xbox (and press the button on the switch to toggle it over) but it's a lot better than reaching behind the TV to keep moving the dongle about.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Yeah. I can't express how much I've been loving the 7X. The battery is outstanding and will often outlast the controllers.

I also pulled the trigger the other day and purchased the $12 Dolby Atmos app on XSX. Between that and the 3D Audio on PS5, it seems gaming finally got their virtual surround woes in check.

What games have the best 3D audio implementation on PS5? I haven't played much yet, but also haven't really noticed it. Using the 7X here as well.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a USB switch and I've got all of the consoles hooked up to that. I still have to flip the toggle when I want to play on the Xbox (and press the button on the switch to toggle it over) but it's a lot better than reaching behind the TV to keep moving the dongle about.
What's this setup look like? I'd like to try it.

Have a link to your USB switch too?

CharlesToThe

Sep 16, 2020
Is there any wireless chat headsets for the PS5? Not a whole fancy thing just something for voice chat while I play Rocket League or something that doesn't require a big headset or audio awareness as much. Sorry if this has been answered before.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I just bought the TB stealth 600 gen 2 for the series x and they have been fantastic with windows sonic .

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
7X Users, are you able to actually get the game volume/mic volume slider working? it does nothing for me on the series x
The slider in the Xbox Guide? It's grayed out, presumably because it's controlled by the dial on the right ear-cup. It's kinda fun to twist the dial and watch the slider move.

The Mic Monitoring slider, however, is completely non-functional. You need to adjust this on PC with the SteelSeries Engine 3 application.

Oct 29, 2017
What's this setup look like? I'd like to try it.

Have a link to your USB switch too?

That's the switch. It comes with four USB cables which I've ran from my Series X, PS5 and Switch into the back ports. The front port has the USB C ->A cable adapter that comes with the 7X and the dongle plugged into that.

The dongle is set to USB at the moment as I've been on the PS5, and the USB switch is on number 1 on my toggle. If I want to play on the Xbox then I flick the dongle over the press the USB switch button twice to toggle it over to input 3. Takes seconds and less wear and tear on ports.

I've just got the USB switch sitting under my TV with the 7X dongle sitting on top of it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
What games have the best 3D audio implementation on PS5? I haven't played much yet, but also haven't really noticed it. Using the 7X here as well.
I actually turned 3d audio off. It reminds me of the virtual surround on the sony Gold wireless headset, in that it sounds really tinny and bad. The 3D placement works great, but it significantly impacts the sound quality imo. Stereo sounds much better.

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
The slider in the Xbox Guide? It's grayed out, presumably because it's controlled by the dial on the right ear-cup. It's kinda fun to twist the dial and watch the slider move.

The Mic Monitoring slider, however, is completely non-functional. You need to adjust this on PC with the SteelSeries Engine 3 application.

The dial isn't working for me at all. No changes in the audio 😕

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for your review! Is it true that the 7x volume/game audio mixer doesn't work with the PS5 though? I really want to give the 7x a go, but grabbed the Pulse 3D's solely for the working audio mixer rocker :(.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Steelseries warehouses are closed temporarily for maintenance. I wonder if that has to do with the 7x being only in-store at Walmart recently.

steelseries.com

Arctis 7X Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox

The SteelSeries Arctis 7X wireless gaming headset for Xbox is designed for Xbox Series X|S with backwards compatibility for Xbox One and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
This is not exactly on topic, but what is the difference in sound quality between using an Xbox wireless audio certified headset and using the 3.5mm jack on the Xbox wireless controller?

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
My 7X has been sitting in a drawer because I mostly just use my soundbar at home. PS5 doesn't appear to let you output audio to both the TV AND a USB headset that I can see.

But... I just started bringing them to work to use with my Switch. I'm impressed! They aren't the best sounding headset I've ever used, but they're super solid and easy to connect. I love that I can use them on all three consoles and the battery is fantastic. My only gripe so far is not having USB-C for charging.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks for your review! Is it true that the 7x volume/game audio mixer doesn't work with the PS5 though? I really want to give the 7x a go, but grabbed the Pulse 3D's solely for the working audio mixer rocker :(.

From what I know, it does not work. I'm guessing you would have to adjust through the menu? Someone should be able to clarify.

I do the majority of my multiplayer gaming on xbox, so not an issue, but it would have been ideal if the mix dial worked on PS5 as well.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I haven't played a ton tbh. Astrobot I think did a pretty good job. Remember, it's on by default I believe, so you might have just been playing with it on anyway

Interesting. I've played a good bit of Astrobot and I didn't really notice the 3D audio at all. Its definitely on as I configured the "type" which sounded best to my ears in the settings.

I actually turned 3d audio off. It reminds me of the virtual surround on the sony Gold wireless headset, in that it sounds really tinny and bad. The 3D placement works great, but it significantly impacts the sound quality imo. Stereo sounds much better.

This is interesting as well. I haven't felt like the audio quality has suffered. I just haven't really noticed the 3D implementation. Maybe I will as I find time to play some new games (Demon Souls, Miles Morales).

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's the switch. It comes with four USB cables which I've ran from my Series X, PS5 and Switch into the back ports. The front port has the USB C ->A cable adapter that comes with the 7X and the dongle plugged into that.

The dongle is set to USB at the moment as I've been on the PS5, and the USB switch is on number 1 on my toggle. If I want to play on the Xbox then I flick the dongle over the press the USB switch button twice to toggle it over to input 3. Takes seconds and less wear and tear on ports.

I've just got the USB switch sitting under my TV with the 7X dongle sitting on top of it.
Nice, is there a difference in quality between USB switches? About to just order this if you have no issues with it and there's no loss in audio/mic quality.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my arctis 7x arrived today, I plugged it in correctly and the XSX recognized that it was connected but no sound is coming from the headset and still out of the TV, even after I turn the headset on

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
After testing different Wireless Headsets over the last week's (Arctis Pro Wireless, Audeze Penrose the last two days and HyperX Cloud Flight) I'm back to my good old Soundblaster xG6 with my beyerdynamic MMX300.

Can't get over the difference in audio quality and will stick to cable for the time being.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
So my arctis 7x arrived today, I plugged it in correctly and the XSX recognized that it was connected but no sound is coming from the headset and still out of the TV, even after I turn the headset on
Sound won't divert from the tv speaker to the headset like on PlayStation, you have to turn the sound down/mute from the tv. As for your headset, make sure that the sound mixer isn't scrolled all the way to the chat mic or you won't hear any game sound.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really thinking about splurging on the Arctis 7x after finding this thread but I really would like some options on the Arctis vs plugging my Phillips Fidelio X2 into the 3.5 mm jack. Is the sound quality from the dongle better than the output from the controller?

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
Just a warning for all of you that steelseries has the most horrendous customer service i have ever witnessed.
I ordered a 7x directly from them and the headset had a high pitch tone on the left ear. After some google there are more customers which experienced this and the only solution was to replace it.

I opened a support ticket and went through this hilarious process where days went by without and any reaction followed by a generic "robot" answer.
Finally i was asked to destroy the headset, make a photo and send the "proof" of destruction together with the receipt, a qr-code and other fotos to them.

I did that and guess what? They answered that i cant get any replacement at the moment and that i should look out on the product page for when the headset will become available again and contact them to send a replacement.

Now im here without any headset (because i had to destroy it to start the RMA process) and i cant get a replacement.

This is a clown-show and i just give out a warning to everyone to stay away from steelseries. I wont touch any products from them in the future.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
So in my first serious attempt at playing online in ages I tried to use my Sony WH-1000XM4 on Series X and found that the mic doesn't work - something about the mic being over bluetooth?

Regardless, I've looked into other solutions like this:

V-Moda BoomPro Microphone for Gaming & Communication - Black (C-BP-Black) : Amazon.com.au: Computers

V-Moda BoomPro Microphone for Gaming & Communication - Black (C-BP-Black) : Amazon.com.au: Computers

but almost everything I've seen in AU won't arrive until sometime after Christmas.

With this one coming in at nearly $60 I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a separate headset. Any recommendations in AU that I might be able to pick up right from JBHifi? I'd pay extra for assured comfort - larger ear cups.

Lippi

Sep 14, 2018
I'm really thinking about splurging on the Arctis 7x after finding this thread but I really would like some options on the Arctis vs plugging my Phillips Fidelio X2 into the 3.5 mm jack. Is the sound quality from the dongle better than the output from the controller?
I find that the x2's into the controller is decent enough, but i bought the soundblaster g6 and now the headphones really shine. I can live without wireless though

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like my Penrose X won't be arriving until the new year :(

On a side note, anyone who has them how does the sound stage feel compared to open backs? I have GSP 500 (plugged into controller) at the moment for reference.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sound won't divert from the tv speaker to the headset like on PlayStation, you have to turn the sound down/mute from the tv. As for your headset, make sure that the sound mixer isn't scrolled all the way to the chat mic or you won't hear any game sound.

thanks, I also had to mute the mic

these are some really comfortable headphones and sound fantastic out the box, I'm not sure I need to tweak anything

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like my Penrose X won't be arriving until the new year :(

On a side note, anyone who has them how does the sound stage feel compared to open backs? I have GSP 500 (plugged into controller) at the moment for reference.

If I compare Penrose to my HE-400S, which is a similar planar magnetic driver but open-backed, it has a narrower soundstage. However the closed backs give a better bass response. That's the pretty typical of the tradeoff between open and closed-back.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I find that the x2's into the controller is decent enough, but i bought the soundblaster g6 and now the headphones really shine. I can live without wireless though
I just looked at the sound blaster g6 and I'm not sure it would be right for me. For one thing, the new consoles don't have optical. I have a Fulla Schiit 3 for my PC but I don't think it works with the consoles either.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Whoohoo, Penrose X finally arrived. Very brief first impressions are they are not as uncomfortable as I had assumed. Sound quality is crazy good - some songs I thought had crackling on other sets, turns out they were snare hits. Bluetooth and Xbox/USB receiver connected first try with no issues.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
Whoohoo, Penrose X finally arrived. Very brief first impressions are they are not as uncomfortable as I had assumed. Sound quality is crazy good - some songs I thought had crackling on other sets, turns out they were snare hits. Bluetooth and Xbox/USB receiver connected first try with no issues.
Yeah I was a little bit concerned after the first day but the clamping on mine has completely gone. Had them 5 days now.