• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does the Penrose X connect to both the Xbox and PS5? Is it direct wireless to Xbox console and USB dongle to PS5? If so, how do you how do you switch between the 2?

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
How does the Penrose X connect to both the Xbox and PS5? Is it direct wireless to Xbox console and USB dongle to PS5? If so, how do you how do you switch between the 2?
Connects to both consoles with the dongle so you need to switch the dongle each time if you want lossless audio.

The X's dongle has a switch that switches between Xbox mode and everything else including PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
Penrose update-
So after some gaming time with the brainwavz pads i can say they are a cooler than the stock pads. That's about the only positive they have going though. They are not as deep because they're missing the plastic divider so now your ear can touch the driver. They lose out on a lot of the bass the stock pads have. Definitely sound worse overall and the trade off in sound quality isn't worth it. For the price I'm actually pretty disappointed, too many small things that bother me. I shouldn't have to sacrifice in sound quality or comfort. I'll stick with my wireless Senns for now.
Before I return these if anyone's interested I'll send them to you for the preorder price($250) plus shipping. I'll eat the tax. Trying to look out for a member here if not no worries.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
My Penrose are going back for RMA. Imbalanced drivers was making the soundstage lean left.

I really wish I could just have gotten a refund, but then I'd be eating over $100 in duties and shipping fees. Sunk cost fallacy and all.

But yeah, I really can't recommend them in their current state. Too many people are having too many issues, and the sound quality doesn't make up for these issues. Do they sound good? Sure. Fairly similar to my closed back Ultrasone HFI-580, with a bit more detail but worse soundstage. But eh, sounding as good as a $120 wired pair of headphones, while barely making up for it in terms of connectivity, and completely losing it due to whooshing at low volume levels and a bad microphone...yeah, this is not acceptable for a $300 product. Not to mention long term comfort is not good at all for a gaming headset which you may wear for hours at a time.

If I had to do it over again, I'd just get the Arctis 7P/X and deal with worse sound quality and pay half the price while getting a reliable and comfortable headphone.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone sum up this thread for a fella who just needs a PS5 headset?
  • Seems like Pulse is underwhelming
  • Folks prefer the Arctis7x?
  • Any others?

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Been gaming with the 7X for hours and hours on my Series X MP and single player games. Not a single disconnect, cracking noise, or anything. This headset is everything the 9X should've been. Its been worth every penny.

Snert

Banned
Dec 1, 2020
  • Any others?

I was in the same boat as you. In recent years I've de-cluttered my setup and moved from a 7.1 wired setup to a Sonos wireless setup.

As part of this I've been trying out a number of different wired and wireless headsets so that I can play at night without disturbing my partner. Qualifications is that they need to work with my PC, PS5, and Switch.

Tried the Pulse and it was completely underwhelming. OT talks about sound stages and this one had the worst of the bunch.

Checked out the Astros, good sound but the wired setup was inconvenient for me.

Ultimately settled on the Arctis 7p. Default settings aren't great, and they suffer on the high and low ends, so I'd recommend you connect to a PC and mess with the EQ settings. I'm OK with sacrificing audio quality for comfort and ease.

Raindammit

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
My Astro Gen 2's continue to work perfectly with my PS5. Luckily my TV has an optical port (Sony X900H) so everything just works like it did with my PS4 Pro. These are the steps to get the Gen 2 working with PS5:

* Connect your PS5's HDMI to your TV.

* Connect your optical cord to the TV by plugging it in the optical output on your TV.

* Connect the other end of the optical cord to your base station by plugging it into the optical in put of the base station.

* On the PS5 change the following setting on the Sound Settings Menu:
- Audio Output: Output Device - Astro Headset (this will allow you to mix game/chat audio as you normally would using the headset controls).

Make sure you're outputting just 'chat audio' to your Astro headset otherwise you will get the 3D audio.

If you want to try 3D audio, output 'all audio' to the headset.

There may be some setting you may need to change on the TV as well (didn't have to on my X900H) .

The only issues I've had is having to change the mic audio back to the controller when playing Astro's Playroom, and also the PS5 reverting the audio output device back to HDMI on occasion (this doesn't affect sound output to the headset, but you will lose control to mix game/chat volume etc).

Hope this helps some of you set up your Astros with PS5!

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
I was in the same boat as you. In recent years I've de-cluttered my setup and moved from a 7.1 wired setup to a Sonos wireless setup.

As part of this I've been trying out a number of different wired and wireless headsets so that I can play at night without disturbing my partner. Qualifications is that they need to work with my PC, PS5, and Switch.

Tried the Pulse and it was completely underwhelming. OT talks about sound stages and this one had the worst of the bunch.

Checked out the Astros, good sound but the wired setup was inconvenient for me.

Ultimately settled on the Arctis 7p. Default settings aren't great, and they suffer on the high and low ends, so I'd recommend you connect to a PC and mess with the EQ settings. I'm OK with sacrificing audio quality for comfort and ease.
Do you happen to have good EQ settings of your own for the 7P?

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
My Penrose are going back for RMA. Imbalanced drivers was making the soundstage lean left.

.... to whooshing at low volume levels and a bad microphone..

If I had to do it over again, I'd just get the Arctis 7P/X and deal with worse sound quality and pay half the price while getting a reliable and comfortable headphone.

The imbalanced drivers sounds terrible, that sucks you got a faulty one. The other 2 issues you mentioned are already resolved in a firmware update releasing sometime this week, I wouldn't be surprised if they just flash your replacement to the new firmware though before sending them back. The mic (in wireless mode) especially sounds much better with the update.

But regarding your last point, I think that's an important one and it comes down to how much you value sound quality. I got tired of just absolutely terrible sounding wireless headsets, that I thought I gave up on them. Every single wireless headset I've tried sounded like super budget wired headphones (until I tried the Penrose), and it felt terrible pairing fantastic picture quality of my setup with poor audio from your typical gaming headset. It does seem like most people think of audio almost as an afterthought, if it produces sound then it's good enough hehe. But everyone has diff budget and priorities so it is what it is.

That said, there is absolutely something to be said of convenience and ease of use, which is why I always kept buying and trying different and new wireless headsets. I just think Penrose is a massive leap in wireless sound quality for gaming, nothing else I've tried even comes close in actual sound quality for a built in wireless gaming set. It even outclasses my wired Sennheiser HD598s in everything other than sound stage. And also outclasses my now previous wired daily driver Takstar Shades headset (basically Pro 82's) I had imported from China lol.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
You have issues with the 9x? I own them and never have those issues at all.
Yup, just been a YMMV overall with the headset for me, Ive went through two pairs with nothing but issues. Disconnects/randomly shutting off, popping and scratching sound, and very rarely it would make my controller act up and have a mind of its own and take control of my right stick and turn my character in circles in apex I shit you not. Best headset when they work, but they've just been way to inconsistent for me. Ill probably avoid Xbox wireless protocol headsets that connect directly to the xbox in the future. Other than the flipping through preset feature that I miss from the 9x, I'm having quality sessions with the 7x without any issues.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Alright, it seems to me that my best bet as someone who is looking for dual bluetooth and only needs the headphones to work with PS5, PC (for work calls), and Switch, it sounds like either the SteelSeries 9 or 9x is the best for me. For the 44th time, anybody have any thoughts on the 9 vs. 9x vs the Pros?

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, it seems to me that my best bet as someone who is looking for dual bluetooth and only needs the headphones to work with PS5, PC (for work calls), and Switch, it sounds like either the SteelSeries 9 or 9x is the best for me. For the 44th time, anybody have any thoughts on the 9 vs. 9x vs the Pros?
If budget is not an issue and you want a wireless headset the Penrose's are better.

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm struggling on my Xbox without proper headphones/set. Plugging my Sony 1000MX3s into the headset jack is turrible. I wanted to get the 7Xs because they'll work on the inevitable PS5, but since I won't have one of those in the forseeable future, I'm open to just Xbox/PC for now.

I basically just need something that is completely wireless for Xbox (and potentially wireless for PC) with at least the ability to plug 3.5mm into other computers -- that way I could use it on the PC or my work laptop without issue. Is the 9X the way to go here or do people have better recommendations?

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
I'm struggling on my Xbox without proper headphones/set. Plugging my Sony 1000MX3s into the headset jack is turrible. I wanted to get the 7Xs because they'll work on the inevitable PS5, but since I won't have one of those in the forseeable future, I'm open to just Xbox/PC for now.

I basically just need something that is completely wireless for Xbox (and potentially wireless for PC) with at least the ability to plug 3.5mm into other computers -- that way I could use it on the PC or my work laptop without issue. Is the 9X the way to go here or do people have better recommendations?
See above if audiophile quality is important to you then the Penrose X looks like your best option. They also currently work on PS5. You can connect them wired or wireless using the dongle.

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
See above if audiophile quality is important to you then the Penrose X looks like your best option. They also currently work on PS5. You can connect them wired or wireless using the dongle.

Wow, I'm looking into the Penrose and they seem sick. No connectivity issues either. One thing about the 9X I really like is the ability to listen to phone/game audio simultaneously (if I'm reading things correctly). The idea that I could play podcasts while doing mindless AC Valhalla tasks all in one headset, or use discord while playing with friends who are on PC, is just too good... They're also $100 cheaper, but I'm seeing so much hit or miss on the audio/connectivity issues. Ahhh.

Nov 14, 2017
  • Any others?
This is my boat too. Currently have the wired HyperX Cloud II headset that I think works on the PS5 (haven't actually connected it yet) but I'd like to upgrade to a wireless headset because the cable on the HyperX headset is just too short for me to sit on the couch and wear them comfortably.

I was all in on the Pulse headset but the mixed reviews here and online have left me second guessing and I've turned my attention to the Arctis 7P or I might just hold out and wait for more headsets to hit the market since I really don't play multiplayer games that often and don't use my current headset on a regular basis at all.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
This is my boat too. Currently have the wired HyperX Cloud II headset that I think works on the PS5 (haven't actually connected it yet) but I'd like to upgrade to a wireless headset because the cable on the HyperX headset is just too short for me to sit on the couch and wear them comfortably.

I was all in on the Pulse headset but the mixed reviews here and online have left me second guessing and I've turned my attention to the Arctis 7P or I might just hold out and wait for more headsets to hit the market since I really don't play multiplayer games that often and don't use my current headset on a regular basis at all.
Get the Hyper X cloud II wireless

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Why is the 7X harder to find than a PS5?
Just an FYI. Walmart's inventory checker seemed to drop off since I've purchased them, but they are in stores. I checked for someone else after getting mine and it doesn't show store avsilability.

If you have a store close by, I would say it's worth a visit to check. They are in a thin white box usually behind glass.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Has anyone purchased the seperate leather pads for the Arctis? The originals are so comfortable, so I don't see the need. Just curious.
For Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox, I had to replace the ear pads... the cups were too shallow, and my ear would sit against the driver and it would be painful a couple hours in.

I ended up doing an aftermarket replacement from Brainwavz and the extra room made the Arctis go from a 5 in comfort to a 9, pretty immediately.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just an FYI. Walmart's inventory checker seemed to drop off since I've purchased them, but they are in stores. I checked for someone else after getting mine and it doesn't show store avsilability.

If you have a store close by, I would say it's worth a visit to check. They are in a thin white box usually behind glass.

thanks for the tip

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at the Arctis 7X on the Steel Series website and it doesn't say that it's compatible with the PS4/PS5. Is there a different model I'm just not seeing that supports Xbox and Playstation?

anf

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, USA
Of course no reviews are out yet, but what about the new Airpods Max? I'm deep in the apple ecosystem, they seem to support Bluetooth 5.0 so that should work with both consoles?

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a new Astro's headset that will work across both Series X and PS5?

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm looking at the Arctis 7X on the Steel Series website and it doesn't say that it's compatible with the PS4/PS5. Is there a different model I'm just not seeing that supports Xbox and Playstation?
The only thing that doesn't work natively on other devices is the chatmix volume rocker on the right earcup, which isn't a big deal. The headset works incredibly seamlessly on every device I've tossed at it.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017

It's in the website, it's just a little confusing because it's not on the main features of the headset, but if you click on specifications and check the compatibility tab, it mentions the PS4 and PS5 via wireless USB

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017

I think the idea is you switch it to PC mode on the PS4/5

As far as I'm aware this should also be the case with the Arctis 9X as well, but it doesnt say as much. Could anyone answer this?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I got access to the Penrose beta firmware if anyone was curious.

What's fixed:
- Mic clarity is greatly improved in wireless mode. If you want the absolute best mic quality out of this headset the wired Aux connection is still better, but the wireless quality is now good enough that it's not worth bothering unless you are trying to record a podcast or something.
- The "wind" noise caused by automatic gain control overreacting is gone, AFAICT. I tried the same track I used to produce the issue on the shipping firmware, and there was no sign of it.
- The system noises (CONNECTED, PAIRING, etc) are now a reasonable level.

What's not:
- Software controls in Windows are still extremely limited (no battery indicator, master volume control doesn't do anything, no chat mix)
- The sidetone feature still picks up so much noise from the mic that I consider it unusable

With the firmware fixes, I can now give this headset an unqualified recommendation, provided of course that it's in your price range.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I received the Pulse 3D headset the other day.

It's pretty good. More comfortable than other headsets I've used and the sound quality seems great so far. I'm no expert with headsets though, so who knows!

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I like my new 7x's, but I didn't know they don't support sidetone on PS5! Only the 7p's do. I really like a small amount of sidetone. :(

Also, I'm a little dumbfounded that some people are finding theirs too quiet. These headphones are plenty loud.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

What's fixed:
- Mic clarity is greatly improved in wireless mode. If you want the absolute best mic quality out of this headset the wired Aux connection is still better, but the wireless quality is now good enough that it's not worth bothering unless you are trying to record a podcast or something.
- The "wind" noise caused by automatic gain control overreacting is gone, AFAICT. I tried the same track I used to produce the issue on the shipping firmware, and there was no sign of it.
- The system noises (CONNECTED, PAIRING, etc) are now a reasonable level.

What's not:
- Software controls in Windows are still extremely limited (no battery indicator, master volume control doesn't do anything, no chat mix)
- The sidetone feature still picks up so much noise from the mic that I consider it unusable

With the firmware fixes, I can now give this headset an unqualified recommendation, provided of course that it's in your price range.
Have Audeze said what shipments of the Penrose will have the firmware pre-installed? Say I buy a pair today.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Have Audeze said what shipments of the Penrose will have the firmware pre-installed? Say I buy a pair today.

They said they were planning on releasing the firmware later this week. As for how long it takes to come pre-installed, it probably depends on where you are buying from. For Audeze direct sales, I imagine it will be fairly soon after the firmware is released. For third party sellers, who knows.

No access to a PC to update yourself?

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017

What's not:

That's a no buy from me. I was literally about to buy this. No chat mixing is a no go for that price

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
They said they were planning on releasing the firmware later this week. As for how long it takes to come pre-installed, it probably depends on where you are buying from. For Audeze direct sales, I imagine it will be fairly soon after the firmware is released. For third party sellers, who knows.

No access to a PC to update yourself?
I have access to a PC. Just want to know how much extra work I will have to do. And I would be buying from Audeze direct and I'm based in the US.