• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I thought you couldn't use any of the DTX or Atmos stuff thru the controller? I thought it had to be wireless or usb?

I didn't think so either. But it's all enabled in the Xbox settings with the headphone plugged into the controller. Whether I'm actually hearing atmos sound is another story. Who knows.

Edit: random post on reddit says:
I bought a set of headphones that plug into the controller and it came with a code for Dolby Atmos. They wouldn't give it to you if it didn't work on those headphones.

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I hope this is an okay place to ask, but has anyone ever experienced audio crackling through their wired headsets and figured out a solution to this? I'd have it on a fairly regular basis when playing on my PS4, but I also have it on my Series X. This is regardless of whether I'm using my Turtle Beach headphones, the Xbox wired headset, or even my Sony cans connected via the wire. It's often still present even when both the controller and headphones are fully charged.

A google search suggests that it's not due to any physical issues in the headphones or controllers, but rather electronic interference from other wireless devices I may have in my home. I'd rather not go through extensive troubleshooting since, like most people, I have a billion wireless devices. Just thought I'd see if anyone had experienced this and found a fairly definitive solution to it.

This crackling has honestly been the main reason why I've kept an eye open for any decent wireless headphone deals, but if the issue isn't even due to the wiring, it sounds like the problem would still persist for me.

Thanks!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
No comfort issues here.

If you have a specific question, ask it. Otherwise, you can refer to the head-fi review.

Audeze Penrose X and Penrose (head-fi.org)

It's quite detailed. Those impressions mirror my own.

bottom line: if you can afford them, you'll have a headset that is not only the best headset on the market for these consoles, but will also probably be the best pair of headphones you own for general music. Consider it a strong endorsement.

They can be replaced. I don't know if there are any aftermarket pads for it.

Excellent thank you. I think I'm going to hang on to my pre order now, the headsets seems like the one I have been after for ages now.

Just waiting on delivery here in the UK.....

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I thought you couldn't use any of the DTX or Atmos stuff thru the controller? I thought it had to be wireless or usb?
They definitely work through the controller as that is how I've been using it for awhile now ahead of picking up the 7X. In fact, it's the only way I had used either of the surround modes until now.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They definitely work through the controller as that is how I've been using it for awhile now ahead of picking up the 7X. In fact, it's the only way I had used either of the surround modes until now.
Hmmm if true I might just find a wired headset that supports that so I don't need to spend the extra on wireless.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
No comfort issues here.

If you have a specific question, ask it. Otherwise, you can refer to the head-fi review.

Audeze Penrose X and Penrose (head-fi.org)

It's quite detailed. Those impressions mirror my own.

bottom line: if you can afford them, you'll have a headset that is not only the best headset on the market for these consoles, but will also probably be the best pair of headphones you own for general music. Consider it a strong endorsement.

They can be replaced. I don't know if there are any aftermarket pads for it.

I can't say I agree with the review.

The ear pads are simply not that comfortable, at least compared to my Hyper X Cloud which have supremely comfortable faux leather earpads. The pressure from the earpads is a bit too local and not spread out enough. It had gotten better though since I stretched out the headband to reduce the clamping force.

There's also no mention of the incredibly obvious whooshing issue the headphones are currently exhibiting (though Audeze has said a future firmware update will fix it, I have my doubts). That issue is making them unusable for me currently, especially in a game like Demon's Souls where any subtle noise triggers it (e.g. ambient noise, footsteps).

The feature-set is lacking somewhat. No iOS app. No option to balance audio levels between wireless and bluetooth. No Windows volume control. No ability to turn off the super loud and annoying announcer voice ("connected", "diconnected", "wireless", "bluetooth", "aux"). No ability to use them unpowered. No battery indicator.

The one thing they have going for them is the sound signature and instrument separation which is stellar. Bass is really, really good. Midrange is reasonably forward (though not as much as I would like, it's still better than just about any gaming headset I've tried). Highs are rolled off just enough to not be fatiguing. But the sound quality and detail resolution is being completely hamstrung by the whooshing.

I have no choice but to keep mine since return shipping from Canada is super expensive and I'd lose out on duties. Though, I have a driver imbalance with mine so I am RMA'ing them (for which they will pay the return shipping). If the imbalance and wooshing can be fixed, then I'll be reasonably happy. But still, they kind of feel like a beta product at this point and were definitely rushed.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

I have to say my expectations were low using the 7P wired into my Xbox controller seeing as how it's not natively wireless with Xbox. I came away shocked and excited at just how excellent the sound was wired into the Xbox controller. Outstanding.

this is kind of good actually because now I can just leave the dongle plugged into my PlayStation and don't have to worry about moving it in between devices.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I have to say my expectations were low using the 7P wired into my Xbox controller seeing as how it's not natively wireless with Xbox. I came away shocked and excited at just how excellent the sound was wired into the Xbox controller. Outstanding.

this is kind of good actually because now I can just leave the dongle plugged into my PlayStation and don't have to worry about moving it in between devices.
Some people will claim (likely true though) that the controllers don't supply enough power for some headphones and that the audio quality is reduced going through the controller. I haven't done any A/B tests between the controller and wireless so I can't really comment on the difference, but I can say that I've never found the audio quality to be poor coming from the controller.

Maybe it's just my hearing going in my old age and I don't need to be spending hundreds of dollars on good headphones any longer...

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of a good, short (like 6 inches or something) black USB Type C extension cable?

My back two USB ports are taken up by my PSVR and PS Camera, and I can't use my front USB for charging my controller if the 7X's giant dongle is in the USB C port. Everything I'm seeing on amazon is longer than I need or like bright red.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
There's also no mention of the incredibly obvious whooshing issue the headphones are currently exhibiting (though Audeze has said a future firmware update will fix it, I have my doubts). That issue is making them unusable for me currently, especially in a game like Demon's Souls where any subtle noise triggers it (e.g. ambient noise, footsteps).

The feature-set is lacking somewhat. No iOS app. No option to balance audio levels between wireless and bluetooth. No Windows volume control. No ability to turn off the super loud and annoying announcer voice ("connected", "diconnected", "wireless", "bluetooth", "aux"). No ability to use them unpowered. No battery indicator.
The review user is using the beta firmware, which fixes the whooshing. Audeze said it should be released next week (they're still testing it). Apparently it was a bug with automatic gain control. There's no mention of it in the review because they don't have it any more.

The beta firmware also reduces the volume of the headset voice announcements ("connected" etc.).

Audeze have said that the Windows volume control is about to be fixed too. I'm not sure if that's in the firmware for next week or the one after though (I don't use Windows so haven't really followed it).

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know when the UK Penrose shipments will start being g sent out? Or are we stuck until new year?

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know when the UK Penrose shipments will start being g sent out? Or are we stuck until new year?

I messaged Scan yesterday and they just said they had chased their supplier for an update after original date was missed (25/11) and are still waiting which isn't great seeing as that was a week ago.

Not sure what Hifi Headphones have said

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

The ear pads are simply not that comfortable, at least compared to my Hyper X Cloud which have supremely comfortable faux leather earpads. The pressure from the earpads is a bit too local and not spread out enough. It had gotten better though since I stretched out the headband to reduce the clamping force.

The one thing they have going for them is the sound signature and instrument separation which is stellar. Bass is really, really good. Midrange is reasonably forward (though not as much as I would like, it's still better than just about any gaming headset I've tried). Highs are rolled off just enough to not be fatiguing. But the sound quality and detail resolution is being completely hamstrung by the whooshing.

I have no choice but to keep mine since return shipping from Canada is super expensive and I'd lose out on duties. Though, I have a driver imbalance with mine so I am RMA'ing them (for which they will pay the return shipping). If the imbalance and wooshing can be fixed, then I'll be reasonably happy. But still, they kind of feel like a beta product at this point and were definitely rushed.
Reviewer went to Audeze and got the beta software and mentions that the wooshing is gone in his review. Also mentions the announcer voice is quieter. So I think you'll be happy when its out. And yes...new tech from a company that isn't versed in making wireless gaming headsets is going to have first adopters be beta testers. Hell, both PS and Xbox put out new consoles with a litany of bugs and they've been in the business for over two decades. I think functionally speaking, all of these gripes will be mute in a couple months but can understand how early adopters would be pissed. In terms of versatility, well, that's something your probably gonna have to wait for in the Penrose sequel in 2022.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Can the pads be changed on the Penrose?

Yes, and they use the same earcups as the Mobius, so its existing aftermarket pads will work on Penrose.

Dekoni makes some in leather and suede, but at $60 they seem a bit expensive for headphones in this price class, IMO. But then again I don't really mind the existing ones.
If you are happy with the current materials but just want to get rid of the toy-like colored plastic, then Audeze sells non-colored replacements for a more reasonable $30.

On one hand, if Audeze gets the firmware release out in the next 1-2 weeks like they estimated, then I'm actually very impressed with their responsiveness. I was prepared to be waiting much longer than that.

On the other hand, it makes me wonder what they were doing during the months of delays when they were supposedly just waiting for certification. Like if they had just gotten a few beta testers they could have discovered and fixed most of the issues before they reached customers.

At the end of the day though, I view it as a positive. I've certain owned many products where the companies don't seem to listen to the customers at all. Compare it to complaining to Sony about their DAC support or to Microsoft about not supporting generic USB audio devices at all, where you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything accomplished.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and they use the same earcups as the Mobius, so its existing aftermarket pads will work on Penrose.

Thanks to this I actually found a reddit post through Google that talked about using Brainwavz Replacement pads that don't fit perfectly but good enough. Just ordered the Velour pads on Amazon and they're coming on Sunday. $20 bucks is worth it to try and see how it goes.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
While waiting for my Arctis 7X to arrive, I have a few questions:

- What's the best, and free, virtual surround software should I use on Windows PC? also, is this really needed for gaming and watching streaming or ripped series/movies?
- Does the dongle or Steelseries EQ app offer virtual surround? is it good?
- Should I just leave it on stereo on windows and hope the games have good surround sound natively?
- Which options should I check ingame to make sure I get the best experience if it doesn't have the headphones option(which I'm guessing it's the best option)? surround like 5.1, 7.1 or just stereo?

Sorry again if the questions are dumb, I really don't know anything about this, the Arctis 7X will be my first good headphones, and I'm planning on using them mostly for single player gaming, multiplayer and movies/series too, but less so.

Last edited:

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a quick question about DTS:X. I purchased it for my Series X cause it was on sale. All headphones technically work with it correct? You don't need certain headphones? The headphones on the search list are just headphones that will work better correct?

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a 7X today at walmart. They only had one, but might be worth stopping by if you are looking for one

Found a pair at Walmart to order for store pickup thanks to this. Will go get them later today.

I know many people have had various issues with these in this thread, but they still seemed to be the best Xbox option for me at this price.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Just drove out to a suburb like 35 mins from me, just to go Pick up the Arctis 7x's at a walmart. These things are everything my shitty Arctis 9x's should have been. No popping, disconnects, controller malfunctions, or scratching static noise like I would get with my 9x in the last hour using them. Hopefully they hold up, cause I love how comfortable their lines of headsets are.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Checking in here again...

Is there a wireless headset that works on both PS5 and PC -- that doesn't require me to physically move the dongle back and forth? i.e. let me buy two dongles or has some other solution like a base station.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Checking in here again...

Is there a wireless headset that works on both PS5 and PC -- that doesn't require me to physically move the dongle back and forth? i.e. let me buy two dongles or has some other solution like a base station.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
With the Audeze solution, you could use a dongle for the PS5 and BT for the PC. Then just press a button to switch between them. Not sure how that might impact mic quality on PC, but audio should work perfectly on both.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
With the Audeze solution, you could use a dongle for the PS5 and BT for the PC. Then just press a button to switch between them. Not sure how that might impact mic quality on PC, but audio should work perfectly on both.

You don't want to use a microphone with bluetooth. The headset profile only allows mono audio.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, would latency not be an issue with Bluetooth audio/mic? I've always heard that is best avoided if you can.

Might be the best bet though. Man. I don't know why these companies moved away from having base stations with multiple inputs to singular little dongles. At least on the premium devices. Having to physically move a little dongle around like a caveman is not a premium experience.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Final question. I have some Gen 1 Turtle Beach Stealth 600's. A Walmart has some of the Steelseries Arctis 7x which seem to work with the PS5 as well. Are these a major update to my 600's?

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with the Arctis 7x that are using them on xbox, when you have the mic unmuted does it pick up a lot of your movements and background noise? I can't seem to remove the background noise when I have the mic unmuted, but it goes away when I mute the mic.

NVM got it I think.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
Sorry to bump the thread, but I'm gifting my kid my pair of Corsair HS50s when he opens his Xbox for Christmas.

I need a new pair, as the Corsairs just became too uncomfortable resting on my ears during extended play sessions.

Any recommendations on which set to try for gaming on an XSX?

Was eyeing the Arctics 3 (I prioritize dependable connectivity over being wireless, though I'm not averse to ditching the cable) but I don't know how comfortable the set is for someone with a larger head/ears. Having a solid mic is necessary too for when I party chat with the kiddo.

Any recommendations?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is there a way to get chat/game volume mixing working on Astro a50s without buying a stupid hdmi adapter?

ive tried optical to tv and that doesn't seem to work. The mixer is always greyed out.

Merino

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered the Arctis 7x to join my LG CX, Series X and PS5.

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect the dongle to the CX and get Dolby Atmos sound from apps like Netflix?

Also, since the CX does not support DTS passthrough it feels right to build my setup around Atmos. Planning to get a Atmos soundbar+surround setup in the future. I assume it's worth it to shell out for Dolby Atmos for Headphones? Would there be any need to buy the DTS license also since I would only be able to use it on Series X and I might just as well use Atmos instead?

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
c798648e-fb06-47b7-bswk1h.jpeg

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Anyone with the Arctis 7x that are using them on xbox, when you have the mic unmuted does it pick up a lot of your movements and background noise? I can't seem to remove the background noise when I have the mic unmuted, but it goes away when I mute the mic.

NVM got it I think.

Just want to quote this for others as I encountered the same issue. You have to connect the headset to the PC, download and run the Steel Series app, and turn off sidetone inside the app.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just received and installed the Brainwavz velour pads on my Penrose. Here's some quick impressions on the fit. I'll test out the sound a little later.
So installing was kind of a pain, felt like i was going to rip the material but once it's on its on and doesn't move. Not a perfect fit but good enough. The pads are comfortable enough and it definitely makes the headset way less sound isolating and initially they already feel cooler but I need to check again after a long gaming session to be sure. Actually seems like the depth may be less than the original cups but that may be because these are missing the plastic divider. Anyways here's a couple pics of the fit and I'll be back with how they sound later after i get some time to play.
20201205_133615vajq3.jpg
20201205_1335476ijs4.jpg

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
GameStop has stock of the Arctis 7P—placed an order as I wasn't impressed with the Pulse 3D. Any reason people prefer the X over P? Any impressions from larger review sites on these?

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any wireless headset on ps5 that has separate chat and game volume sliders? I hate the "party/game" balance slider in ps4/PS5