• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Had the 7P and found the sound horrendous. I am used to a quality dac and open headphones on PC though.
got the penrose coming and see how they are. I dont want a cable mess on my ps5 and I guess the penrose will be the "best" out of the wireless bunch for now.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
What exactly is the difference between the 7, 7P and 7X?

It seems the 7X is the most recommended headset for the XSX, but it also seems that the only places to get it are either from Wal-Mart or Steel Series directly.

What's the return policy on open items for Steel Series? I was interested in trying the headset out with the option of returning them if necessary. Wal-Mart claims I wouldn't receive them until two weeks from now, which is too long a wait.

I'm basically trying to decide whether to try out the 7X or wait for a fix for the 9X. According to Steel Series' website, they're aware of the issue with the 9X on the XSX, but also said that it's up to Microsoft to fix it in their firmware. If the 7X work perfectly and sound as good, then I'd sell the 9X.
I have been using the 7x for a few days and have had zero issues with it. I mainly bought because i needed a headset that would work on both the PS5 and Series X. The volume level is much higher on the Series X which is great. On the PS5 I have to turn it up almost to full for a good loud sound level. But overall the 7x has been working great for me.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to get the Penrose X, but there seems to be a few issues with the Penrose, so I'm not sure what to do anymore. Maybe the 7x.

A few people have asked Audeze directly on Twitter and on that website someone posted, about Penrose X and functionality on PS5. They ignore every question. They really need to work on their communication.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I have been using the 7x for a few days and have had zero issues with it. I mainly bought because i needed a headset that would work on both the PS5 and Series X. The volume level is much higher on the Series X which is great. On the PS5 I have to turn it up almost to full for a good loud sound level. But overall the 7x has been working great for me.

Looking to the get the 7X for my Xbox as I didn't think plugging my headphones into the controller would suit me, but I am surprised at how great I think it sounds.

Do you notice a difference between the audio quality coming from the controller and from the 7X wireless on the Xbox?

I'm such an audio snob when it comes to listening to music, but I don't know if I need to buy new headphones for games. I use Sennheiser 598 HD Cs.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like how the Steelseries Arctis feel on my ears, I have an Arctis 1 wireless and I hate it. I just ordered a Hyperx Cloud Flight S and I hope I like them, I love my current wired Hyperx Cloud Stinger, so I'm expecting these to be very comfy. 30h battery life and Qi wireless charging are awesome too. Love the black and white look too, will go well with my PS5 and decor.

The low battery life on the 3d pulse headset makes it a no go, I don't want to have to babysit charging these things.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know or believe that if I buy

steelseries.com

USB-C Wireless Dongle for Xbox

Replacement dongle for the Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox. Not compatible with other Arctis models.

I'll be able to use the Actis7P on the Xbox series x?
If you get this and it works let me know! I have an Arctis 1 Wireless that only works on PS4 (it was before the updated it for Xbox compatibility) so I'd love to use it on my Xbox until I find a headset that hits all my marks

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
www.head-fi.org

Audeze Penrose X and Penrose

Just curious, what made you guys order this headset for gaming? Most people recommend open back headphones for that wider soundstage + no problems getting hot on your ears in lengthy gaming sessions. Used open back headphones for so many years so just curious seeing how popular these are. Most...

I received my Penrose today. My thoughts below:

- Sound is fantastic, very neutral all around with a great sound signature. Hands down the best gaming headset I have ever heard and I have owned at least 10, including a bunch from steelseries, sony, astro, etc.

- I don't notice any weird hiss or weird noise floor, I guess with sidetone on I hear a very tiny bit - but so do all my headsets. Either the earlyreviews are insanely exaggerating or they have a bad unit. There is no way that what I hear could bother anybody. UPDATE: I actually do hear an audible hiss when using them hardwired into an xbox controller, no audible hiss wireless to PS5

- I DO hear some weird robotic/metalitc type noises when i click around the PS5 dashboard. It is not static and only happens when the PS initiates the UI SFX. I have no idea what this is and its very hard to explain. Basically if you move around the UI of the PS5 OS, it makes sound effects as you scroll around, those sound effects have a weird robotic almost interference type noise to them. Something I have never heard before. When others receive the headset, they will need to test this. Turn off background music in the sony UI menu and start scrolling around - you will hear it. I don't really hear this weird type of noise in the game, but it doesnt mean its not there. It is really hard to explain this one in words. UPDATE: This weird noise is present on other headphones with the PS5 as well, they just use a crappy quality sound effect for their UI prompts so it sounds weird.

- I have no issues at all with the clamp pressure, but I have a normal size head.

- Sidetone is easy to turn off with the app, but as Audeze mentioned - simply making this a button press on the headset is 100 percent the way to go.

- Not having a batter indicator sucks

- The womans voice constantly saying "connected...connected...connected" when i get out of range is really annoying, when I get out range just have her shut up - its obvious i am out of range when i hear nothing in my headset. Also, the range is not good, but i have a small room and its fine for me. But once i start heading in my hallway its gone.

Overall the only real issue i have is the weird sound i hear when scrolling through the PS UI. I cant figure it out and i need to test it out further. I tried going with a cable direct to the controller and I still heard it, but maybe not as loud. I will see if the Xbox makes a similar noise throug its UI, but that will be done wired to the controller obviously. If i can solve that, these are near perfect headphones for gaming. **(SOLVED, read notes above)** My friends actually said i sounded great today when we played warzone.I am a bit taken back by the early reviews, these felt premium, sound absolutely amazing, and work great with PS5. The game chat mix for me is not a big deal at all, since PS5 updated it to include a quick shortcut directly the game chat mix and i actually prefer that way since i get a visual of what i am doing. My BIG issue besides the weird sound I am hearing when browsing the UI is if i need to return these for the Xbox version to have it work on both systems. I am torn on that and I may just opt to plug it direct into the controller for xbox if Audeze makes things difficult in that regard.

Yup, this is all I needed. The range is kind of disappointing but all I care about is having the best audio quality in a wireless headset with a decent mic.
Audeze Penrose it is. Now I wonder how long it will take to get it if I order today....

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Smemma

Jul 10, 2020
I'm toying with buying the 7x as I want a wireless headset for both new consoles but am wondering: does the headset's chat mix control work on both consoles, or does the PS5 require you to tweak it in the OS instead?

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like how the Steelseries Arctis feel on my ears, I have an Arctis 1 wireless and I hate it. I just ordered a Hyperx Cloud Flight S and I hope I like them, I love my current wired Hyperx Cloud Stinger, so I'm expecting these to be very comfy. 30h battery life and Qi wireless charging are awesome too. Love the black and white look too, will go well with my PS5 and decor.

The low battery life on the 3d pulse headset makes it a no go, I don't want to have to babysit charging these things.
Why dont you pick the Cloud Flight non S model?. They are just stereo, perfect for the PS5 and way cheaper.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
PSA: So I just plugged my Actis 7P directly into my Xbox controller via the audio jack adapter it came with and it worked no problem?

oddly anticlimactic, but there you go worked no problem (note I used an Xbox one X controller. I don't have the Series X yet as I can't find one)

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking for a mono chat headset like the original xbox one chat headset, so I can still hear my atmos setup. What's the best way to go here?
Since it's just a mono headset I was thinking somewhere below 100$.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Anyone tried using a USB to bluetooth dongle and test bluetooth headphones on the PS5? Like this

My headset has Aptx Low Latency support, so it might not be too bad in the delay department. But the encoding/decoding might influence the quality of the 3d audio...

Last edited:

LuckyLactose

Mar 28, 2018
Figured this might be a good place to ask:
I currently have a SteelSeries Arctis 7. I've been quite happy with the sound & comfort of these, and I use them all the time.
My problem is the transmitter having a wire, combined with 2 kittens (not the ones in my avatar). They have basically chewed through it, and I have to twist it juuuust so to get it to work. With that in mind, I plan to buy a new headset, hopefully one with a dongle that does not include any wires for kitten consumption.

Any advice?
Platforms are PC, PS5 and Switch. I am considering keeping the Arctis 7 for use with the PS5 (controller) and Switch.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Figured this might be a good place to ask:
I currently have a SteelSeries Arctis 7. I've been quite happy with the sound & comfort of these, and I use them all the time.
My problem is the transmitter having a wire, combined with 2 kittens (not the ones in my avatar). They have basically chewed through it, and I have to twist it juuuust so to get it to work. With that in mind, I plan to buy a new headset, hopefully one with a dongle that does not include any wires for kitten consumption.

Any advice?
Platforms are PC, PS5 and Switch. I am considering keeping the Arctis 7 for use with the PS5 (controller) and Switch.

7P/X is basically a next gen wireless version of what you got. The P version for PlayStation and the X version for Xbox. So I'd suggest that.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7p?color=white

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Just watched an ACG video and I am a bit confused. Do the new Pulse headsets for PS5 provide 3D audio wirelessly, or do they have to be plugged into the controller for that? Thanks for any info.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
For anyone that got/is getting the 7X but doesn't want the green accents, a replacement band is on sale for $7 with free shipping: https://steelseries.com/gaming-accessories/ski-goggle-headband-a7

They also have leather ear cushions for the same price that I am going to give a try as well, figured for that price they're worth a look.

I was going to point this out.
The leather style might provide more sound isolation, at the expense of heat.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched an ACG video and I am a bit confused. Do the new Pulse headsets for PS5 provide 3D audio wirelessly, or do they have to be plugged into the controller for that? Thanks for any info.
All headsets provide 3D audio through the controller or wirelessly through the console. 3D audio is processed through the Tempest engine, on the PS5 console. Obviously games have to support it. Wireless through the console will be better quality.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I've been torn on Pulse 3D and the 7X. I think I'll go with the 7X, but is there a must better headset for $199?

move been looking at RazorBlackshark Pro V2 maybe something from Seinnhierzer?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I've been torn on Pulse 3D and the 7X. I think I'll go with the 7X, but is there a must better headset for $199?

move been looking at RazorBlackshark Pro V2 maybe something from Seinnhierzer?
None of the current $200 dollar headsets are noticeably better than the Arctis 7. Stuff like Sennheiser GSP 600 have enough flaws that the $150 Arctis is just fine.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I have been using this on and off for a few weeks, and it is almost perfect for me. Almost because it is SLIGHTLY too tight for my head/earcups slightly too small. I know you can't adjust the cups, but if it sat lower I would probably feel more comfortable with it. I am coming from A50s, which had very large ear cups and which I always used on the largest setting even though my head is not that big because I liked how they sat on my head. Any way to adjust the 7X that you all can see?

From a sound perspective, it seems...fine? It's not quite as good as the A50s, relies a bit more on bass, but its very, very good.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
There's a problem I've noticed with COD on PS5 that makes loud explosions and bangs sound like a garbled tin can in your ear. This is on multiple headsets. Not sure if it's the 3D audio or the game to blame.

Valhalla has super low audio quality to begin with (like less than CD audio bit rate), so judging a headset with that game is a bad idea.

As far as the headset goes, no you're not alone. I've tried a few versions of the steel series headsets and returned them all.

I'm now using Sennheiser Game Ones connected to the Dual Sense and I won't be going back to anything less.
Do you feel you're getting better audio from the dual sense? I always assumed that the controller audio was outputting compressed sound

EDIT:

I will also second to plug the 7P/X into a computer to mess with the EQ. The standard 'flat' EQ did not sound great to me.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any plans for a wireless HyperX model that works on both PS5 and Series X? I have the Cloud II right now and I really like the comfort aspect.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Penrose today. A few quick impressions:

Positives:
- Sound quality is solid. I compared them to my HE-400S, which is an open-backed planar magnetic headphone in the same price range. Quality was pretty similar between the two sets, with the main differences being what you might expect when comparing open-backed and closed-backed headphones; the Penrose had a narrower soundstage but a tighter bass response.
- I had no issues with wireless range. My apartment is on the small side at only 600 ft2, but I was able to go anywhere without signal drop. It passes the important "Can I get a beer while still chatting" test.
- Microphone is good for a mic of this type when using the 3.5mm jack.

Negatives:
- Microphone is unimpressive in wireless mode. The compression is fairly obvious in my vocal range.
- The sidetone feature introduces a very audible hiss, so you will probably want it disabled most of the time.
- There are a lot of minor usability inconveniences. For instance, in order to turn sidetone on or off or adjust the EQ, you need a wired USB connection. You can't do these things over wireless - the Audeze app doesn't even recognize the headphones in wireless mode. The device master volume controls in windows don't change the headset volume, though in-app controls do. There is a mic volume adjustment wheel on the headset, but no way to know what the volume is set to because there is no on-screen indicator. The only way to find out is to use a wired USB cable to the Penrose app. And there isn't any battery indicator unless you use Bluetooth.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have any good equalizer settings for the Arctis 7x they can share?

I have a similar question for the Platinum Headset on the PS5 (not sure if it can be configured).

I'm also still unclear which of the audio codecs is considered the best on Xbox: Sonic, Atmos or DTS X.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

Positives:
- Sound quality is solid. I compared them to my HE-400S, which is an open-backed planar magnetic headphone in the same price range. Quality was pretty similar between the two sets, with the main differences being what you might expect when comparing open-backed and closed-backed headphones; the Penrose had a narrower soundstage but a tighter bass response.
- I had no issues with wireless range. My apartment is on the small side at only 600 ft2, but I was able to go anywhere without signal drop. It passes the important "Can I get a beer while still chatting" test.

Negatives:
- Microphone is unimpressive in wireless mode. The compression is fairly obvious in my vocal range.
- The sidetone feature introduces a very audible hiss, so you will probably want it disabled most of the time.
- There are a lot of minor usability inconveniences. For instance, in order to turn sidetone on or off or adjust the EQ, you need a wired USB connection. You can't do these things over wireless - the Audeze app doesn't even recognize the headphones in wireless mode. The device master volume controls in windows don't change the headset volume, though in-app controls do. There is a mic volume adjustment wheel on the headset, but no way to know what the volume is set to because there is no on-screen indicator. The only way to find out is to use a wired USB cable to the Penrose app. And there isn't any battery indicator unless you use Bluetooth.
Thanks for the impressions, pretty much what I was expecting, which is a good thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Corsair HS75 XB seems to have a lot of positive impressions out there but doesn't seem like there's a lot of buzz overall. Anyone in this thread happen to pick one up that could give some impressions?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Positives:

Negatives:
Got a 700 sqft apt so Im happy about the range. Platinum cuts out when I go take a piss or to the fridge, with my surround sound accidentally turning back on and shaking the entire apt at 2am lol. Got the LucidSound LS50x for xbox and the sidetone is mad annoying so I will be disabling the sidetone in the penrose as well.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
My 7X came in today and I'm very unimpressed about the PS5 performance. Sound effects like gun shots and crafting sound nice but everything else is muffled and hollow

The USB-C transmitter is connected to the console, and I'm playing TLOU2.

Am I doing something wrong?