• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Hello I have an issue with sound sources on my PS5.

So after attaching the dongle to my PS5, the sound source always defaults to the headset even when they're off. Is there a workaround to this? Or does the dongle always force the sound to default to it.

And yes the setting is set to automatically change the sound source once the headset is turned off.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017

So after attaching the dongle to my PS5, the sound source always defaults to the headset even when they're off. Is there a workaround to this? Or does the dongle always force the sound to default to it.

And yes the setting is set to automatically change the sound source once the headset is turned off.
I'm having this exact issue with A50's. Really annoying having to manually swap sound when it worked perfectly well on PS4

Oct 27, 2017

Same thing happens for me. Guess it's just the way they have the ps5 set up.

For the xbox, you can have the dongle plugged in and it won't switch to the headset unless turn the headphones on. However, it won't switch back to home theater in the settings (atmos/dts:x) when you turn the headset off, though this is less of an issue since the xbox still plays audio through speakers, it may just not be atmos/dts:x.

shenglongdong

Oct 27, 2017

I'm having this exact issue with A50's. Really annoying having to manually swap sound when it worked perfectly well on PS4
Same thing happens for me. Guess it's just the way they have the ps5 set up.

For the xbox, you can have the dongle plugged in and it won't switch to the headset unless turn the headphones on. However, it won't switch back to home theater in the settings (atmos/dts:x) when you turn the headset off, though this is less of an issue since the xbox still plays audio through speakers, it may just not be atmos/dts:x.
Just tested, and solved this issue!

On the dashboard, Settings at top right, Sound, Audio Output, Switch Output Device Automatically, turn that setting off.

That should do the trick!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 'Golds' still cut out intermittently if connected to a USB hub, connected to the back of the PS5. It was fine with these exact set up on PS4. It can sometimes work fine for 10 mins or so, then it will start cutting out.

Hopefully this can be resolved with FW. It'd be annoying to lose 2 USB ports on the back if I didn't have to (external HDD and Dongle), then have to use the front for G29 wheel

shenglongdong

Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 'Golds' still cut out intermittently if connected to a USB hub, connected to the back of the PS5. It was fine with these exact set up on PS4. It can sometimes work fine for 10 mins or so, then it will start cutting out.

Hopefully this can be resolved with FW. It'd be annoying to lose 2 USB ports on the back if I didn't have to (external HDD and Dongle), then have to use the front for G29 wheel
I had the same problem with the USB fob connected directly to a back port. Used a USB extension I had and ran it around to the middle side of the console and was good to go. I have my PS5 inset in my TV console and did occasionally have a drop on my ps4 if the fob wasn't closer as well.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I had the same problem with the USB fob connected directly to a back port. Used a USB extension I had and ran it around to the middle side of the console and was good to go. I have my PS5 inset in my TV console and did occasionally have a drop on my ps4 if the fob wasn't closer as well.

Oh, that's interesting. Think it could be interference from the PS5's wifi or something? (I am connected Wired but it's probably still on).

Maybe I should buy an extension lead and see if it helps. The hub dangles a bit anyway as the PS5 is vertical!

The dongle is fine when plugged directly in but maybe the hub dangling is near a wireless radio chip etc

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
The first thing you need to decide is whether you are looking for a headset or for headphones. If you don't need a microphone, the headphone market will provide a lot more options and better value.
Does PS5 support using headphones in combination with DualSense microphone for talking?

Also, any advice for choosing good headphones for PS5? Are wireless headphones a good choice, or are they usually Bluetooth, which isn't the best choice for game audio - or so people made me think?

Thanks for any advice you're able to give ☺️

Oct 27, 2017
Just tested, and solved this issue!

On the dashboard, Settings at top right, Sound, Audio Output, Switch Output Device Automatically, turn that setting off.

That should do the trick!
Worked perfect, thanks.

Edit: ps5 froze 3 separate times after I manually changed my audio settings from hdmi to the headset. 2x when starting up spiderman and 1x on astrobot. I took out the usb dongle after that and astrobot loaded up but froze again. It worked after the 4th shut down...no clue if coincidence, but posting anyway since this has only occurred once I changed audio settings manually.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads-up for Xbox users, the DTS Headphone:X license is half price right now; $19.99 $9.99.

Download and launch the DTS app, then purchase the license from within the app. Then don't forget to set your headphones output to DTS Headphone:X in Settings > General > Volume & audio output > Headset audio > Headset format

You can even choose a tuning profile for your brand and model of headphones. I've got my Arctis 7X set as the Arctis 7. Probably close enough.
Dolby atmos is on sale for around $10 as well. I had already bought dts for full price, but picked up atmos as well. I know I'll constantly be switching anyway.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
So whats the verdict on the Penrose? Need a new headset since my platinum cuts out constantly. Is the Penrose better than the Arctis7P? Don't care about price.
I went with the Penrose because it offers simultaneous Bluetooth functionality (allowing one to listen to audio on a secondary device while listening to game audio), which I believe the 7p does not. Also, I believe the 7p's only method of updating the firmware is via its app, which is not compatible with iOS or Macs, while the Penrose has an app which is compatible with iOS devices. Now that the Penrose is 299 as opposed to 249, I'm not sure that's worth 150 dollars more, but if price is no issue then 🤷🏽‍♂️.
As for a verdict: the Penrose is still in the process of initial shipment to consumers and there are a limited number of reviews currently available.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I went with the Penrose because it offers simultaneous Bluetooth functionality (allowing one to listen to audio on a secondary device while listening to game audio), which I believe the 7p does not. Also, I believe the 7p's only method of updating the firmware is via its app, which is not compatible with iOS or Macs, while the Penrose has an app which is compatible with iOS devices. Now that the Penrose is 299 as opposed to 249, I'm not sure that's worth 150 dollars more, but if price is no issue then 🤷🏽‍♂️.
As for a verdict: the Penrose is still in the process of initial shipment to consumers and there are a limited number of reviews currently available.

I've got a penrose preordered but from what I can see there is no iOS app and likely never will be. The Mac app is unlikely to be available for a while.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a penrose preordered but from what I can see there is no iOS app and likely never will be. The Mac app is unlikely to be available for a while.

There's an Audeze HQ app currently available on iOS and they recently released a video detailing the updates to it for the Penrose.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
There's an Audeze HQ app currently available on iOS and they recently released a video detailing the updates to it for the Penrose.

There will never be Penrose or Penrose X support via the Audeze HQ app on iOS. Audeze have confirmed this.

The only support currently (in terms of interacting with headset settings) is via their Windows app. Android and macOS support apps are still in progress (no ETA).

They've said that they'll be offering a firmware update to allow you to toggle sidetone on/off via a button combination (there's no dedicated button) at some point in the future.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017

I hope I'm wrong but that's a video of the pc app and confirming penrose updates to that. In their support they state there is a pc app, Mac and android coming soon. https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...l-User-Guide-text-with-updates-and-additions-

Audeze have confirmed no iOS for penrose in the
Headfi penrose thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-penrose-x-and-penrose.937477/post-15985671

Edit beaten

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I looked at some reviews online and the complaints don't apply for me because I am singular focused on one thing: Is this the best sounding gaming headset for next gen consoles? I can't find that answer online because everyone reviewing it are Audeze audiophiles complaining about stuff that won't affect me.

If the range, battery life and mic are in line with the Arctis, that's good enough. I just want to know if the sound quality is worst, the same, better or outclasses the arctis 7.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yea I looked at some reviews online and the complaints don't apply for me because I am singular focused on one thing: Is this the best sounding gaming headset for next gen consoles? I can't find that answer online because everyone reviewing it are Audeze audiophiles complaining about stuff that won't affect me.

If the range, battery life and mic are in line with the Arctis, that's good enough. I just want to know if the sound quality is worst, the same, better or outclasses the arctis 7.
For audio quality it's way better. Look up reviews of the Penrose's predecessor, the Mobius. The Penrose is a better sounding version of the Mobius.

Tame

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The one weird thing I ran into was not being able to adjust the mix until I was in a party chat, which is not really a big deal. Once in the chat, it was accessible.

Also, just in the 7x in general, I did hook them up to PC first, downloaded the app, and changed the EQ to performance mode. You can also toggle Sidetone on the app as well, as well as other EQ manual toggles.

After that, they sound effing amazing! Well worth the $150, especially coming from Golds.

For clarity (plus ive just woke up and my brain is a touch foggy) we're talking about functionality on the PS5, am i right?
Because what youre saying definitely changes my stance as I only use party chat when gaming with friends.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
For audio quality it's way better. Look up reviews of the Penrose's predecessor, the Mobius. The Penrose is a better sounding version of the Mobius.
Hmmm, interesting. I might get the Penrose then once actual PS5 gamers try it out and test it for a month or two. Hopefully they last long....I don't buy headsets often (Platinum got at launch nearly 4 years ago).

shenglongdong

Oct 27, 2017
For clarity (plus ive just woke up and my brain is a touch foggy) we're talking about functionality on the PS5, am i right?
Because what youre saying definitely changes my stance as I only use party chat when gaming with friends.
Yep! Everything I have written is solely PS5 focused.

Full disclosure though, I plan to (and have) use them with the Series S as well.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Okay. I've had the 7Ps for a little over a week, and I'm kind of disappointed in the sound quality. It could just be an Assassin's Creed problem, but the highs sound very tinny, and there's very little bass. I haven't given them much time with other games. Warzone sounded similar. Ear-grating, tinny highs. The mic quality is superb, and they are very comfortable. Am I alone in my opinions about the sound quality?

Oct 27, 2017
Okay. I've had the 7Ps for a little over a week, and I'm kind of disappointed in the sound quality. It could just be an Assassin's Creed problem, but the highs sound very tinny, and there's very little bass. I haven't given them much time with other games. Warzone sounded similar. Ear-grating, tinny highs. The mic quality is superb, and they are very comfortable. Am I alone in my opinions about the sound quality?
I think they sound very good (I have the 7x), but haven't played the same games. I did make some adjustments in the EQ, though. Below are some games I've played with them.

Ps5
Sackboy
Spiderman
Astrobot
Thumper
Last Guardian

XSX
Ori 2
Forza Horizon 4
Cuphead
Battlefront 2
Star Wars Squadron
Many other random gamepass games

I usually play with the volume up all the way, as I think that's when it sounds best. Definitely could use some more volume on these. The bass isn't as deep as the Sony XM3 or Vmoda crossfade I own, but everything else sounds pretty good.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
There's a problem I've noticed with COD on PS5 that makes loud explosions and bangs sound like a garbled tin can in your ear. This is on multiple headsets. Not sure if it's the 3D audio or the game to blame.

Valhalla has super low audio quality to begin with (like less than CD audio bit rate), so judging a headset with that game is a bad idea.

As far as the headset goes, no you're not alone. I've tried a few versions of the steel series headsets and returned them all.

I'm now using Sennheiser Game Ones connected to the Dual Sense and I won't be going back to anything less.

Scary_Larry

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Question to those that have the PS5 right now (mine is arriving this coming week) - will I be able to get the 3-D audio with SteelSeries Pro Wireless headset? I love that headset, but concerned that the DAC that came with it for chat and game audio won't work.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Question to those that have the PS5 right now (mine is arriving this coming week) - will I be able to get the 3-D audio with SteelSeries Pro Wireless headset? I love that headset, but concerned that the DAC that came with it for chat and game audio won't work.

SteelSeries say yes - but the firmware hasn't been released yet. I have the same headset so also waiting haha

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What exactly is the difference between the 7, 7P and 7X?

It seems the 7X is the most recommended headset for the XSX, but it also seems that the only places to get it are either from Wal-Mart or Steel Series directly.

What's the return policy on open items for Steel Series? I was interested in trying the headset out with the option of returning them if necessary. Wal-Mart claims I wouldn't receive them until two weeks from now, which is too long a wait.

I'm basically trying to decide whether to try out the 7X or wait for a fix for the 9X. According to Steel Series' website, they're aware of the issue with the 9X on the XSX, but also said that it's up to Microsoft to fix it in their firmware. If the 7X work perfectly and sound as good, then I'd sell the 9X.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
What exactly is the difference between the 7, 7P and 7X?
7 is the older headset that works with PS4 (and 5 I think?) and PC.
7p works with PS4/5, PC, Android and Switch.
7x is the same as 7p but also works with Xbox via a toggle on the USB dongle.

7p and 7x are exactly the same headset apart from the dongle and colour, so they should perform the same. I'm not sure on what differences there could be in sounds for 7 though. I've only used the 7x a few times so far on the Switch and Xbox One X and it worked well in both cases.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Hello! I notice a lot of similar discussion in the thread already, but this question is a bit more specific I think.

my wife generously got me the steelseries Arctic 7P (I had asked for the X, but honest mistake).

is There ANY way to get this to work with the Xbox Seris X as well? A workaround or can you buy a specific dongle?

I don't want to have to return it... (I do have a PS5)

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I bought the 7X but didn't realize it didn't have bluetooth, just the wireless dongle, which doesn't work on my iphone but oh well.
Totally my fault, should have checked more thoroughly , I bought an adapter for the dongle so we will see how it works out.
In terms of sound quality I'm happy with it.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I'm interested in the Penrose but I have a question about Audeeze.

Does Audeeze sell their products through general retailers or only directly from themself? Shipping is way to damn much from their website to get it in Canada, so if it comes to other retailer then I'll wait.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'm interested in the Penrose but I have a question about Audeeze.

Does Audeeze sell their products through general retailers or only directly from themself? Shipping is way to damn much from their website to get it in Canada, so if it comes to other retailer then I'll wait.
In Australia, Audeze have a distributor. I don't know about Canada, but you can probably find out in their site, or by googling it.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, that's interesting. Think it could be interference from the PS5's wifi or something? (I am connected Wired but it's probably still on).

Maybe I should buy an extension lead and see if it helps. The hub dangles a bit anyway as the PS5 is vertical!

The dongle is fine when plugged directly in but maybe the hub dangling is near a wireless radio chip etc
I had the same and it appears that if I plug my HDD into the back ports with the pulse 3D the audio cuts out after about 5ft. When I moved my dongle to the front port it was fine. Same thing with my PS4 Pro

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I got the free trial of thr DTS encoder for XSX, but now I can't just purchase it during the free trial, and I'm afriad that when the free trial ends the 50% off sale will be over lol. It literally won't let me buy it, it says I already have the license because I'm on the free trial haha.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the Penrose X is taking ages to release here in UK. What was originally thought to be September release has become December. Getting a little worried about this product now, could there be potential issues with it?