• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't seen whether the Pulse suffers from the same chat echo as the Platinum — basically unusable in chat parties.

I've had the 7x for a few weeks now, and it's one of the most comfortable headsets I've used.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Just received my steelseries 7x today. I've got the Pulse 3D for PS5 also, is there any feature that the Pulse 3D offers to the PS5 that the 7x might not have for the playstation?

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to try out the 7x on the PS5 and you can clearly tell the 3d audio works perfectly fine with it, as noted by many users in the thread. This is definitely the headset to get for both the Xbox and PS5.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the conspiratorial wall of text, but I've been doing some testing for the last hour or so and have come to a weird (and possibly completely wrong) conclusion: I think the new Series X controller causes wireless audio interference with the console. Ever since my Arctis 9x showed up and I've been getting the same occasionally extremely choppy audio, I've tried to narrow down what it could be and the only consistent variable seems to be the controller that came with the Series X.

When using the Series X controller, if I let it idle/don't touch any inputs for 10 or so seconds, headset audio gets extremely choppy/stuttery. This occurs with both my wired Turtle Beach headset and my new Arctis 9x wireless headset. My (headset) distance from either the console or controller does not seem to influence this (based on the limited spacing to test in my apartment anyway.) Moving the analog sticks or pressing a button instantly causes the audio to clear up and become normal until, again, no controller input occurs for 10 or so seconds.

I've further narrowed it to the Series X controller because using my other controller (the Bluetooth Xbox One controllers that came with my One X) yields no audio interference as described when using the Series X controller. Idling, no button inputs, etc - no audio choppiness. Having both controllers on and synced to the console - no audio choppiness. Turning off the One X controller with the Series X controller remaining on - audio choppiness while idling comes right back.

Am I onto something here or just out of my mind?

Edit - Was about to post this, but I've been sitting here trying different combinations of which controller is on/off, which one is on first, etc while writing this post, and just found an interesting wrinkle: if the Series X controller is on first, my One X controller can't/won't sync to the console at all. Trying to power it on causes the Xbox button to fade up, blink a couple times, then turn off. Turn the Series X controller off first? One X controller turns on and syncs just fine. Haha, what's going on here?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got to try out the 7x on the PS5 and you can clearly tell the 3d audio works perfectly fine with it, as noted by many users in the thread. This is definitely the headset to get for both the Xbox and PS5.
Duuuude, I for the first time played PS5 with a headset yesterday (I intended to play Spider Man first thing, but then I got obsessed with Black Ops (which I kinda hate?) on PC, then finally got my PS5 disc yesterday. Anyways, I digress - Spider Man tonight.

My point is, and apologies for not reaching it sooner - HOLY SHIT the 3D Audio on PS5 is amazing, and the Arctis 7x sounds AMAZING.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
I've a doubt: I'm interested in the Arctis 9, mainly for the dual audio capabilities (Discord + PS5 or XSX, mainly) but I don't totally understand the product naming of SteelSeries. What the Arctis 9x has that the 9 hasn't? What the X means?

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
I've a doubt: I'm interested in the Arctis 9, mainly for the dual audio capabilities (Discord + PS5 or XSX, mainly) but I don't totally understand the product naming of SteelSeries. What the Arctis 9x has that the 9 hasn't? What the X means?
9X has Xbox wireless, otherwise you'd have to use a wired connection to your controller to use for the XSX for the 9

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I need some advice about the 7X. I'm planning on buying it but I am still on the fence. I have Turtle Beach Stealth 700 but I never use it because it feels awful on my head, like too much pressure (heats up my scalp and itches) So uncomfortable for me that i never use it for that reason and just use a default xbox manufactured mono headset that is such a relief on my scalp despite it being a trash headset. So my question is, how is the 7X in this regard?

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
i was about to buy one, then noticed it charges over mini usb

hard pass
Same here and then I read mini USB lol. The dying format on a next gen headset. No thanks.
Actually I asked Steelseries about it and they replied

"While I can't confirm anything for future releases, we are aware that USB-C is the future standard. For example, the recently released Aerox 3 uses USB-C and has fast charging."

So let's see what happens next year. Steelseries 7x 2021 edition?

Anyone got their Penrose yet??

Tame

Oct 25, 2017
UK
To 7X + PS5 owners

can you separately adjust volume levels on voice chat and game sound on the headset?

I am assuming this is possible when using the headset in conjuction with the Series S/X

Oct 27, 2017
To 7X + PS5 owners

can you separately adjust volume levels on voice chat and game sound on the headset?

I am assuming this is possible when using the headset in conjuction with the Series S/X

I'd like to know this, too. Its one of the things that they dont bother adding that makes me hate a lot of gaming headsets. The chat/volume balance slider was a piece of shit on PS4. Turtle Beach I know for a fact seems to put this feature in their headsets, just wish their sets were comfortable on my head.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Well it seems like the folks at Steel Series dropped the ball with my 7x order. I payed the $18 to get it next day..the site at the time I ordered said if you order within the next hour it ships out the same day, so it should have been here today. I took the day off of work since I did not want the package to sit all day on the porch...but they messed up and it still has not shipped. Sent them an email and no response. Irritating.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
To 7X + PS5 owners

I'd like to know this, too. Its one of the things that they dont bother adding that makes me hate a lot of gaming headsets. The chat/volume balance slider was a piece of shit on PS4. Turtle Beach I know for a fact seems to put this feature in their headsets, just wish their sets were comfortable on my head.
This is a feature of the 7X when used on the Xbox only. This feature does NOT work on PS4 and presumably PS5 (I don't have one yet 😢 ). Even the PlayStation branded 7P cannot do this. I have heard people claim in these threads that it's something that Sony limits to their own devices. You can adjust the chat/game mix in the PS OS.

On the 7P, the extra dial adjusts side-tone (mic monitoring) instead of chat/game mix.

Apr 18, 2018
Same here and then I read mini USB lol. The dying format on a next gen headset. No thanks.
Actually I asked Steelseries about it and they replied

"While I can't confirm anything for future releases, we are aware that USB-C is the future standard. For example, the recently released Aerox 3 uses USB-C and has fast charging."

So let's see what happens next year. Steelseries 7x 2021 edition?

Anyone got their Penrose yet??
At least one person in this thread on head-fi received theirs today.

reaper1 said: So in generał, are you satisfied?
crzyricn said: Yeah I am. The sound quality is what i expect from Audeze, they're great!

Tame

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is a feature of the 7X when used on the Xbox only. This feature does NOT work on PS4 and presumably PS5 (I don't have one yet 😢 ). Even the PlayStation branded 7P cannot do this. I have heard people claim in these threads that it's something that Sony limits to their own devices. You can adjust the chat/game mix in the PS OS.

On the 7P, the extra dial adjusts side-tone (mic monitoring) instead of chat/game mix.
well shite!!! thats a bit of a deal breaker for me.

seems a bit strange that even the 7P's cant adjust the chat/mix levels as i've had a couple of pairs of turtlebeach headsets that do it and a couple of headsets/mixamps (Astro A40 + Sharkoon) that did it too

thanks for the info buddy

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Has anyone tried using the 7.1 Sony PS3 Headset or Pulse Elites on the PS5.

I can get these and wanting to know if they work with the 3D audio/if it's a good idea or if I should just get the Pulse 3Ds.

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
Just pulled the trigger on the 7X, my LS35X kept having interference issues with my series X. Let's hope things are different this time around

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
My 7X just arrived. I didn't realize the USB-C to USB-A adapter would be a long-ass cable, I hate that haha. Can I just buy a dongle off amazon and have it function the same way? Or does it need to be this cable for some reason?

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I just received my HyperX Cloud II Wireless. Tested it on PC since I dont have aPS5 yet, and it's pretty damn wonderful. I'd highly recommend it.

And since XSX now accepts USB audio, it's only a matter of time till it's updated to work on series X

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
My 7X just arrived. I didn't realize the USB-C to USB-A adapter would be a long-ass cable, I hate that haha. Can I just buy a dongle off amazon and have it function the same way? Or does it need to be this cable for some reason?
You should be able to use any USB-C (female) to USB-A (male) adapter. I was also considering until I realized that for both consoles a short adapter (not a cable) would block the USB port beside it when the dongle was connected, so now I intend to just use the front USB port for both whenever I use the headphones.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You should be able to use any USB-C (female) to USB-A (male) adapter. I was also considering until I realized that for both consoles a short adapter (not a cable) would block the USB port beside it when the dongle was connected, so now I intend to just use the front USB port for both whenever I use the headphones.
Yeah, the goal is the just throw one of these in the front of each console and leave them there

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I ended up going to Wal-Mart and picking up the 7X since SteelSeries screwed up the shipping of the one I ordered from them. So far it is pretty fantastic, but I did notice that on the PS5 I have to have the volume on the headset almost at Max for it be considered loud. I am maybe just a few slight turns of being at max volume. Sound is clean and crisp. But then decided to hook it up to my Series X and my eardrums almost exploded due to how loud it is. I have to have it at 1/2 volume or slight lower for it to at an acceptable loudness without it being too loud. I just don't understand or maybe missing a setting on the PS5 on why I have to have the volume almost at 90% for it to be at what I want...but that same 90% on the Series X makes my ears bleed.

Outside of that, it works flawlessly with both consoles. On the Series X I just have the USB cord plugged to the front port and the receiver hooked into it. On the PS5 I can just plug straight into the USB-C port....did notice though that the adapter got very warm just in a hour worth of use on the PS5. But in the end this is doing exactly what I wanted...a headset with/mic that works on both units and sounds very clean and clear.

Even though I have Dolby Atmos 7.2.2 set up, I wanted headphones for when I need a Mic or certain games that really pop with headphones and the 7X is meeting that need.

Is it possible to order a second receiver and have them both plugged in, one on each system?

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
I ended up going to Wal-Mart and picking up the 7X since SteelSeries screwed up the shipping of the one I ordered from them. So far it is pretty fantastic, but I did notice that on the PS5 I have to have the volume on the headset almost at Max for it be considered loud. I am maybe just a few slight turns of being at max volume. Sound is clean and crisp. But then decided to hook it up to my Series X and my eardrums almost exploded due to how loud it is. I have to have it at 1/2 volume or slight lower for it to at an acceptable loudness without it being too loud. I just don't understand or maybe missing a setting on the PS5 on why I have to have the volume almost at 90% for it to be at what I want...but that same 90% on the Series X makes my ears bleed.

Outside of that, it works flawlessly with both consoles. On the Series X I just have the USB cord plugged to the front port and the receiver hooked into it. On the PS5 I can just plug straight into the USB-C port....did notice though that the adapter got very warm just in a hour worth of use on the PS5. But in the end this is doing exactly what I wanted...a headset with/mic that works on both units and sounds very clean and clear.

Even though I have Dolby Atmos 7.2.2 set up, I wanted headphones for when I need a Mic or certain games that really pop with headphones and the 7X is meeting that need.

Is it possible to order a second receiver and have them both plugged in, one on each system?

By chance have you tried with 3D audio off? I've seen reports of people saying it lowers max output.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Audeze Penrose delayed in Australia (and presumably other countries outside of North America). Update from the Australian distributor:

Hi There,

Hope you are doing well and having a nice day.

We are writing to unfortunately let you know that Audeze have had to push back the delivery of the Penrose headphones - due to the fact that the world is still trying to recover from a destabilising pandemic.

New Dates:

Penrose (PlayStation) - Mid to Late December
Penrose (XBOX) - Early January.

If there is anything we can help with, please advise.

Cheers - from the team at A2A

Last edited: