• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skywalker333

Senior Video Games Editor
Verified
Jun 9, 2020
From all the impressions/articles/discussions in various forums, articles and audiophile groups, I have actually decided to postpone the purchase of a new headset. It is very clear that various people are experiencing issues with older units on the new consoles, while there are still almost no professional review trying them on the new consoles. I think I will wait until the launch dust settles and buy one then, whether it would be an older one thats been tried, tested and possibly updated, or a new one like the upcoming Penrose.

There is woefully little information available at present, to invest $200-300 at this stage.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty fed up with the random cracking I get using the Arctis 9X on the XSX. Having the headset connected to the controller helps reduce it (especially for games like Gears Tactics where it was really bad), but I still prefer something as stable as the Platinum Headset on the PS5 (which is, honestly, perfect, and it's even louder than when I used it on the PS4).

Some people mentioned that the Arctis 7x was better for the XSX. What's the reason why? Do you still experience crackling?

As I mentioned before, if only they just had a dongle that let me use the Platinum on the Xbox....

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty fed up with the random cracking I get using the Arctis 9X on the XSX. Having the headset connected to the controller helps reduce it (especially for games like Gears Tactics where it was really bad), but I still prefer something as stable as the Platinum Headset on the PS5 (which is, honestly, perfect, and it's even louder than when I used it on the PS4).

Some people mentioned that the Arctis 7x was better for the XSX. What's the reason why? Do you still experience crackling?

As I mentioned before, if only they just had a dongle that let me use the Platinum on the Xbox....
Ppl said the crackling is because it's using sonic. Switch that setting

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You mean the DTS Headphone X format under Headset audio?

Or do you mean switching to Bitsream on Speaker Audio? Do the speaker audio settings affect the headset too?

There's also a message in the settings to turn off any sound enhancements on the headset itself when using Atmos. Don't think I have any enhancements on, but which ones would they be referring to?

Apr 18, 2018
From all the impressions/articles/discussions in various forums, articles and audiophile groups, I have actually decided to postpone the purchase of a new headset. It is very clear that various people are experiencing issues with older units on the new consoles, while there is still almost no professional review trying them on the new consoles. I think I will wait until the launch dust settles and buy one there, whether it would be an older one thats been tried, tested and possibly updated, or a new one like the upcoming Penrose.

There is woefully little information available at present, to invest $200-300 at this stage.
This is where I'm at too. Im waiting for reviews for the Penrose's to come out and if they are good will probably wait for a sale.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the DTS Headphone X format under Headset audio is the one you want

So I switched to it and giving it a try now. The example videos on the app worked fine.

So I quick resumed into Yakuza 7, which was in the middle of a cutscene. The audio started cracking up during the conversation, which has happened before. When I hit the Home button to bring up the Xbox menu, however, the crackling goes away. This also happened with a Gears Tactics cutscene.

I hope that helps narrow the problem down. It seems the headset struggles to "keep up" with the game's audio, hence the crackling. If there are other fixes I could try, please send them my way.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
I'm rocking the 3D Pulse for PS5 and they honestly work great. I'm an audiophile with a nice PC DAC/AMP setup but the Pulse do the trick for console.

Oct 27, 2017
So I switched to it and giving it a try now. The example videos on the app worked fine.

So I quick resumed into Yakuza 7, which was in the middle of a cutscene. The audio started cracking up during the conversation, which has happened before. When I hit the Home button to bring up the Xbox menu, however, the crackling goes away. This also happened with a Gears Tactics cutscene.

I hope that helps narrow the problem down. It seems the headset struggles to "keep up" with the game's audio, hence the crackling. If there are other fixes I could try, please send them my way.
Do you have any other devices close to the headphone dongle? For some reason my receiver and headphone dongle aren't friends, but it's fine when I move the dongle away a bit.

I'm loving the Arctis 7x so far (I do use DTS X, though I think most of the audio options are pretty good). I've only used the series X and can try the ps5 tomorrow.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Update from the Australian distributor for the Audeze Penrose and Penrose X:

Hey There!

Hope you are doing well and having a great day!

This is a courtesy message to let you know that we are still waiting on the Penrose headphones to arrive in Australia.

Penrose PlayStation - Late November
Penrose XBOX - Late December

We understanding that this is a little while away and you cannot wait this long, we can cancel and refund your order.

Anything else we can help with, please reach out!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have any other devices close to the headphone dongle? For some reason my receiver and headphone dongle aren't friends, but it's fine when I move the dongle away a bit.

I'm loving the Arctis 7x so far (I do use DTS X, though I think most of the audio options are pretty good). I've only used the series X and can try the ps5 tomorrow.

The 9x doesn't have a dongle, it connects directly to the system like a wireless controller.

The router is directly downstairs below me. Not sure if it could reach up where I am to be causing interference.

The XSX is also directly above my TV with nothing in front of it. There's a printer to the right of it (not a wireless printer) and the PS4 and PS5 next to the left.

I decided to try my older pair of Logitech G933 headphones, which require to be connected to the controller. They seem to work a whole lot better with almost no issues and they seem louder too.

It's a great temporary fix, but I still want the same quality for wireless headphones. Again, how is the 7X?

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
From all the impressions/articles/discussions in various forums, articles and audiophile groups, I have actually decided to postpone the purchase of a new headset. It is very clear that various people are experiencing issues with older units on the new consoles, while there are still almost no professional review trying them on the new consoles. I think I will wait until the launch dust settles and buy one then, whether it would be an older one thats been tried, tested and possibly updated, or a new one like the upcoming Penrose.

I read of multiple times that peope have problems using their Arctis Wireless Pro with PS5. When connected via USB the sound is reportedly very thin in comparison to PS4. Connecting via optical is not an option as you lose Tempest 3D Audio. Can anybody who has a PS5 and the Wireless Pro give some feedback?
That's what I read about Astro A50s as well...

Jabroni Chief

Oct 28, 2017
Fresno CA
That is correct. With the Astro HDMI adapter, the Astro A50s do not have the ability for the Tempest 3D Audio. There is a way according to Astro's Setup Guides to change the config so that you do gain Tempest 3D Audio capability but then you lose the ability to mix between chat and game audio on the headset itself.

Myself, I will keep the Astro's around to play multiplayer with friends but then use a pair of Phillips SHB9500 plugged into the DualSense to check out the Tempest 3D audio for solo play...

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I got the 7X for the XSX and I'm really enjoying them. I'm using the DTS:X setting and games and movies sound great. Really comfortable, too. The Pulse 3D on the other hand, are the most uncomfortable headset I've ever used. They sound great for 99 bucks but the clamping force around the ears is unbearable. I'm going to return them, as I already bought the 7P black version off the SteelSeries website. While I could just use the 7X between both consoles, they're placed behind my television and hard to access and I'd rather have a dedicated headset for each console.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔

Thanks how I feel. I'm gonna wait till sometime next year when headsets are made with the PS5 in mind.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got the 7X for the XSX and I'm really enjoying them. I'm using the DTS:X setting and games and movies sound great. Really comfortable, too. The Pulse 3D on the other hand, are the most uncomfortable headset I've ever used. They sound great for 99 bucks but the clamping force around the ears is unbearable. I'm going to return them, as I already bought the 7P black version off the SteelSeries website. While I could just use the 7X between both consoles, they're placed behind my television and hard to access and I'd rather have a dedicated headset for each console.

Do you get any occasional pop or crackle when using the 7X at all? Or is it a perfect uninterrupted audio?

Could I also get a link to them? Putting in 7X in Amazon doesn't seem to point to the specific model.

Also, I may have discovered a sort of fox for the 9X: it seems the cracking/skipping happens as a result of not pushing any buttons on the controller for more than 10 seconds or so.

If I'm holding down a button or analog stick during a Gears Tactics cutscene, for instance, the crackling goes away. So the headset seems to desync or go idle really fast if in response to the controller not being used.

This is stupid, of course, because I don't want to have to keep holding a button down at all times. I don't know if there's a setting to keep the headset from desynching so quickly or what have you.

And again, if the 7X is delivering a far better wireless experience then I'll probably try that instead.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tested whether the Pulses echo in chat like the Platinums? They caused terrible echo for other people in chat. Whenever someone joined with them on, it was instant echo city of your own voice. Since the Pulses have a similar mic design, I'm curious.

Guinea Pig

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted, but if you have an Xbox Series X and your headset begins to cut in and out after a few seconds of not pressing anything, try to swap and use an older controller. I got the new Corsair headset that directly connects to the Xbox and I noticed audio interruptions after a few seconds of not pressing a button on the controller. Turns out its some issue between the new controller and headsets directly connected, so try using an older style controller. Hope this helps.

Oct 27, 2017
That is correct. With the Astro HDMI adapter, the Astro A50s do not have the ability for the Tempest 3D Audio. There is a way according to Astro's Setup Guides to change the config so that you do gain Tempest 3D Audio capability but then you lose the ability to mix between chat and game audio on the headset itself.

Myself, I will keep the Astro's around to play multiplayer with friends but then use a pair of Phillips SHB9500 plugged into the DualSense to check out the Tempest 3D audio for solo play...
I assume Astro a40 and mixamp Fall I to same category?

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
I returned my inaudible Arctis 9 for a another pair that actually works and... I hear things now, but it still feels too quiet.
On PC, max volume feels like it's at 60%. For comparison, I use my HyperX Cloud II at 30% and that is already pretty loud.

So I'm not sure if I should just get the Pulse 3D after all or something else entirely.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Do you get any occasional pop or crackle when using the 7X at all? Or is it a perfect uninterrupted audio?

Could I also get a link to them? Putting in 7X in Amazon doesn't seem to point to the specific model.

Also, I may have discovered a sort of fox for the 9X: it seems the cracking/skipping happens as a result of not pushing any buttons on the controller for more than 10 seconds or so.

If I'm holding down a button or analog stick during a Gears Tactics cutscene, for instance, the crackling goes away. So the headset seems to desync or go idle really fast if in response to the controller not being used.

This is stupid, of course, because I don't want to have to keep holding a button down at all times. I don't know if there's a setting to keep the headset from desynching so quickly or what have you.

And again, if the 7X is delivering a far better wireless experience then I'll probably try that instead.

I experienced some popping/crackling when I first used the 7X, but that went away when I switched to Dolby Atmos. I wasn't too impressed with Dolby so I checked out the free trial of DTS:X and sound was much better. Have been using for a few days now and experienced no crackling/popping since.

I purchased from the SteelSeries website.

steelseries.com

Arctis 7X Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox

The SteelSeries Arctis 7X wireless gaming headset for Xbox is designed for Xbox Series X|S with backwards compatibility for Xbox One and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

I was able to buy without tax, free shipping, and used a promo code to bring down the purchase to $132. The promo code was OWNZ12. Not sure if that's still useable, though.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted, but if you have an Xbox Series X and your headset begins to cut in and out after a few seconds of not pressing anything, try to swap and use an older controller. I got the new Corsair headset that directly connects to the Xbox and I noticed audio interruptions after a few seconds of not pressing a button on the controller. Turns out its some issue between the new controller and headsets directly connected, so try using an older style controller. Hope this helps.

I wonder if that's related to the issue I keep having where the controller will desync from the console, and the only way to resync it is to hard reset the console.

I could probably try an older controller for further experimenting. I do vastly prefer the new controller and its D-pad though.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I just ordered the Steelseries 7x. I needed something that would work on both the Series X and PS5. Hope they work out great!

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any difference between the Arctis 7 and the 7p/x? Mainly using it for the PS5. as I'm still using the RIG 800s for the Xbox.

Jabroni Chief

Oct 28, 2017
Fresno CA
I assume Astro a40 and mixamp Fall I to same category?

Looking at the setup guide, it seems that way. The key basically comes down with using the Chat Audio setting in the PS5 Audio menu as detailed in the Astro Setup Guide for the Mixamp Pro TR. Once that is selected, the 3D Audio selection is greyed out. I'm glad that my Astro A50's are still functional with the Dolby codec on the PS5 but its disappointing that I have to use other means to check out the Tempest 3D Audio...

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again, does Amazon or Best Buy sell the 7X? I can't seem to find it in either page.

I'm still debating on whether to try out the 7X, wait for a 9X fix (if it happens), or possibly call the Steelseries warranty and see if they could replace the 9X with a 7X (sounds unlikely, but I have had success with Logitech automatically upgrading my devices if they broke under their warranty).

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Again, does Amazon or Best Buy sell the 7X? I can't seem to find it in either page.

I'm still debating on whether to try out the 7X, wait for a 9X fix (if it happens), or possibly call the Steelseries warranty and see if they could replace the 9X with a 7X (sounds unlikely, but I have had success with Logitech automatically upgrading my devices if they broke under their warranty).
Do you have a Wifi router near the Xbox? Can you try changing the channels on it, see if it helps?

I had situation where my controllers were not reliable over wireless. Lagging, dropping inputs- not quite disconnecting, but nearly unusable. It would even drop sound if I had a headset plugged in to the controller. It went away after I fiddled with the channel my Wifi was set to, even though I don't use the Wifi connection on my Xbox. It's wired.

Not the same thing, but maybe crackling is happening cause of interference?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have a Wifi router near the Xbox? Can you try changing the channels on it, see if it helps?

I had situation where my controllers were not reliable over wireless. Lagging, dropping inputs- not quite disconnecting, but nearly unusable. It would even drop sound if I had a headset plugged in to the controller. It went away after I fiddled with the channel my Wifi was set to, even though I don't use the Wifi connection on my Xbox. It's wired.

Not the same thing, but maybe crackling is happening cause of interference?

The router is directly below me on another floor.

As for changing the channels, you mean changing them via the router address page? I could try, sure...what's a recommended channel?

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I picked up the new Razer Kaira Pro headphones to use with my XSS and PC. Initial impressions are positive, but I haven't spent much time with it yet. Note that I used Astro headsets prior to this (have a gen 1 A30, mix amp, and gen 2 A50).

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
There's a lot of pages to go through.

Is there anything good that does surround sound for the Xbox series x that $150 or under, wired or not. Preferably wireless.

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any settings I should change to the mic on the Arctis 7X on XSX? My friends say I sound 'compressed'. Or is it just what a wireless mic sounds like? Never used one.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
The router is directly below me on another floor.

As for changing the channels, you mean changing them via the router address page? I could try, sure...what's a recommended channel?
Not sure if this is what I used way back when, but it does talk about non-overlapping channels, and the channel that pretty much every router defaults to, 6.

Oct 27, 2017
well... I just experienced something... I have the pulse headset and they are OK with comfortability but I thought they sounded weak in volume and bass compared to my hyper x alpha 2. I decided to plug those into the PS5 and WOW, such a difference. louder and more bass punch. Yes, they are wired but I bought a $10 usb extender and I'd much prefer that to my recliner given how awesome the quality is. I'll be returning the pulse. I also see that hyper x alpha 2 just came out with a wireless version and works with PS5. I'll prob be getting those soon

www.hyperxgaming.com

HyperX | High Quality Gaming Gear

HyperX is a brand committed to making sure every gamer feels they are included. No matter who you are, or what you play, WE'RE ALL GAMERS.