• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snipah

Oct 28, 2017
I read of multiple times that peope have problems using their Arctis Wireless Pro with PS5. When connected via USB the sound is reportedly very thin in comparison to PS4. Connecting via optical is not an option as you lose Tempest 3D Audio. Can anybody who has a PS5 and the Wireless Pro give some feedback?
On a sidenote I was very surprised, that the 7P-dongle blocks the other USB-ports when using the USB-C... this seems oversight by Steel Series somehow. This that true?

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I got my SteelSeries Arctis 9X today and while they are comfortable and the sound is great on them. For some reason, some games just have terrible static and it makes them unusable. I use them in AC Odyssey and they're great but if I use them in Vahalla it's crackling and popping the entire time. My buddy had the same issue with his pair, but from what he tells me, his was worse. I get a ton of static and crackling at the start menu on NBA 2K21 but during the actual game, it's perfectly fine.

I may return these and pick up the Penrose X
Return them. They are one of the best headsets when they work, and the complete worst when they pop disconnect, Ive even had them do weird things to my controls in a game That I cant explain. Ive had too many issues with mine, and now I'm stuck with them For life lol.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Yep. I had the Arctis Pro Wireless that I used on my One X, but bought these hoping they would work similarly. But I've had nothing but interference with these, audio drops out or pops or they disconnect randomly. They are going back, and I've ordered the Penrose X, and I will use my Arctis Pro via cable to the controller in the meantime.
I'm in an identical situation. My older Arctis Pro works like a charm but this keeps dropping audio or crackling a ton. Also, it was interfering with my controller. When I turned off my Xbox my controller would turn off and then my Xbox would turn back on since the headset wasn't off yet. What was odd is that my controller would lose its connection everytime that happened. I would have to plug it in and do a full shutdown in the menu settings to get my controller to work wirelessly again.

I boxed it up to return them and preordered the Penrose X. Good luck go us.
Anyone else volume somewhat low on the 7x with the xsx plus crackling noises ? Wtf....
I wouldn't mind a little more volume depending on the game. I've only heard crackling in the horizon 4 menu screen and it goes away during gameplay, so it could be the game.
Gears Tactics: The game seems to really struggle with its audio when transitioning between cutscenes and gameplay. When I set the cutscenes to 60 fps, they crackle like crazy. Setting it to "cinematic" (30) fixes that, but when it switches back to gameplay (which is 60 fps) it fucks up again.
Wonder if the crackling audio is a system issue? I'm using an old turtle beach wired and getting a ton of weird audio crackling, and my brother is using some Astro A50s and also experiencing it. I just ordered a pair of Arctis 9x today and I guess we'll see how they do. Be a pretty big bummer if I just spent 200 and get shitty audio with them. :/
For anyone with crackling on Xbox, go into Settings > General > Volume & audio output. Under "Headset audio" make sure it's set to anything but Windows Sonic for Headphones. You'll need to buy a license for DTS:X or Dolby Atmos (both have free trials), but even "Stereo uncompressed" is way better than Windows Sonic... Which is super-garbage.

So 7x works completely wireless with both XSX and PS5, correct? No chat cable needed or anything?
Correct.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone with crackling on Xbox, go into Settings > General > Volume & audio output. Under "Headset audio" make sure it's set to anything but Windows Sonic for Headphones. You'll need to buy a license for DTS:X or Dolby Atmos (both have free trials), but even "Stereo uncompressed" is way better than Windows Sonic... Which is super-garbage.

Thanks for the heads up - I just checked and it was defaulted to Windows Sonic for headset audio. Gonna mess around with them tomorrow and see how it changes the quality.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
No crackling noises for me and volume's fine here - Hope you didn't get a bad batch ?

Question now, which app should I get ? Atmos or DTS:X ? (I prefer DTS codecs normally)
This thread has excellent testing and impressions. The front-runner seems to be DTS:X.

Edit: I would also add that the DTS:X Sound Unbound app has an Insider beta version with home theater 5.1 and 7.1 support. Not sure about Atmos with home theater.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

That made me laugh way than it should have :D

The audio quality via the headphone jack on the Series X is pretty garbage, I really wish MS would hurry up with that certification so I can get my hands on the Audeze.

I've noticed this too, currently using Sennheiser GSP 500 (open back) via the controller. The sounds is... leaves a lot to be desired. I can't quite understand why though.
Penrose X can't get here soon enough.

Skywalker333

Senior Video Games Editor
Verified
Jun 9, 2020
Hello. Managed somehow to get both the Series X and the PS5 and I am now thinking which wireless headset to get for them as my old one is reaching the end of its life.
I am looking for something up to $250-300 (max), that will future proof me for this generation. But are there any headsets that work smoothly on wireless connection on both XSX and PS5? EverythingI find works either on one or the other.

People have been praising Arctis 7 and Arctis 9 but those also seem to work only on one. Are there ways to make them work on both? I was leaning on the 9X but happy to get advise on something even better.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hello. Managed somehow to get both the Series X and the PS5 and I am now thinking which wireless headset to get for them as my old one is reaching the end of its life.
I am looking for something up to $300, that will future proof me for this generation. But are there any headsets that work smoothly on wireless connection on both XSX and PS5? EverythingI find works either on one or the other.

People have been praising Arctis 7 and Arctis 9 but those also seem to work only on one. Are there ways to make them work on both? I was leaning on the 9X but happy to get advise on something even better.

At that price point, I would look into the Penrose X.

Like the 7X, it is designed for the Xbox but should work with the PS5 as well due to a toggle switch on the dongle.

No one has received a Penrose X unit to try it with both systems but that should be happening soon. I'd just wait a bit more if I were you.

Skywalker333

Senior Video Games Editor
Verified
Jun 9, 2020
At that price point, I would look into the Penrose X.

Like the 7X, it is designed for the Xbox but should work with the PS5 as well due to a toggle switch on the dongle.

No one has received a Penrose X unit to try it with both systems but that should be happening soon. I'd just wait a bit more if I were you.

Thank you for this, I was not familiar with the new Audeze. To be honest, I haven't been a big fan of Audeze as they haven't performed very well in a couple older headsets I had, hence the thought of trying Steelseries. But trying to get everything to work everywhere is a bitch sometimes!
I noted you said Arctis 7 works on both formats, could you please elaborate on that? Their website says that each 7 model works on pc and a particular console. Which of the two are you referring to and how exactly do you make them connect to both?
Apologies for so many questions, had many, maaany headphones wired in the past but nothing wireless so I am sailing in uncharted waters!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this, I was not familiar with the new Audeze. To be honest, I haven't been a big fan of Audeze as they haven't performed very well in a couple older headsets I had, hence the thought of trying Steelseries. But trying to get everything to work everywhere is a bitch sometimes!
I noted you said Arctis 7 works on both formats, could you please elaborate on that? Their website says that each 7 model works on pc and a particular console. Which of the two are you referring to and how exactly do you make them connect to both?
Apologies for so many questions, had many, maaany headphones wired in the past but nothing wireless so I am sailing in uncharted waters!!!

So I haven't actually unboxed my pair yet as my consoles remain unopened. But I see folks in this thread who are using their headsets who can provide you with more info.

That said, you want the model 7X, not 7, not 7P but 7X. The wireless headset comes with a USB dongle that you plug into the console. The 7X dongle has a switch that you toggle when you want to use it for Xbox (and Microsoft's protocol (bluetooth?)) and for when you want to use it for everything else.

In theory, the Penrose X I was telling you about will function the same way.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I did the research between Steelseries 7P and 7X. They're the same in every way...except like two massive features that make the 7P much worse for some reason. What a bizarre, dumb choice.

And of course the 7P is the only one available at Canadian retailers, god damn it

Oct 27, 2017

Correct.
I can't check the headphones themselves again until tomorrow, but I was definitely defaulted to Windows Sonic. Thanks for this, as AC Valhalla crackling away during the opening wasn't the next gen intro I had hoped for. Hopefully that will be the end of the issue.

Will stereo uncompressed provide 3D audio in supported games? It's my understanding you have to pay for the other two sound settings?

I've never used headphones on Xbox and only experienced 3D audio this year with my PS4 through the Platinum headset. Even then I just had it on basic settings and don't know if I could have been getting more out of them.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked and answer. But I am having issues with my headset and I want to know if there is a solution or if I will have to replace it.

Having the Astro A50 connected via USB to Series X works great, but the issue is I cannot set the Xbox to output Atmos to the Home Theater. Now, I know you can't have Atmos on the headset and Atmos on the HomeTheater. But it doesn't matter what I choose, I can have the headset in stereo and it still won't let me use Atmos on my Home Theater, unless I unplug the A50 Base from the Xbox USB port.

So, is there a work around for this? And if not, is there a wireless headset that allows me to have Atmos as output on HDMI and even if the headset is connected? If not, what do you recommend otherwise?
Thanks in advance for any help here.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017

Correct.
Hey man, can you compare the 7x (if you know) to the Astro A50s? I have both and can't decide which to stick with - I just know I don't want to buy an adapater for PS5 that will limit me to 60fps. However, the base station/mixing on A50s seems better (plus maybe overall quality?) I thought about stickign with the A50s on Xbox and doing the Pulse on PS5 but have heard very very mixed things about the pulse.

Also, how in the world do you buy the dolby atmos license? I keep looking and cannot figure it out!

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Hey man, can you compare the 7x (if you know) to the Astro A50s? I have both and can't decide which to stick with - I just know I don't want to buy an adapater for PS5 that will limit me to 60fps. However, the base station/mixing on A50s seems better (plus maybe overall quality?) I thought about stickign with the A50s on Xbox and doing the Pulse on PS5 but have heard very very mixed things about the pulse.

Also, how in the world do you buy the dolby atmos license? I keep looking and cannot figure it out!
I can't really compare. The 7Xs are my first foray into a good quality gaming headset. I had a Polk Audio 4Shots before, and it was just OK. These 7Xs are so much better than that.

You have to install the Dolby Access app on your Xbox, run it, and it will guide you through purchasing a license.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
any new discounts with SteelSeries? I keep hemming & hawing about if I should stick with my Pro Wireless or get the 7X and now OWNZ12 has expired

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a license for DOLBY ATMOS is the same for PC and Series X or I have to pay twice? (same account to both)

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Need help. I'm still undecided between the pulse 3D and the arctis 7p?
Pulse is 100€, Arctis is 160€. To be noted that I've never played with a headset and never experienced 3d audio. Is the pulse good enough or should I get the arctis despite the price difference for a better experience ?

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Following up on this - finally have my XSX but when playing Fortnite with my Arctis 7X, my mic is looping my audio into my ears no matter what options I select, it's very distracting. Any ideas on how to fix that?

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Following up on this - finally have my XSX but when playing Fortnite with my Arctis 7X, my mic is looping my audio into my ears no matter what options I select, it's very distracting. Any ideas on how to fix that?
It's most likely the sidetone. Plug it into your pc and use the steelseries app to turn it off (it's on by default)

So there is software for the 7x? I've yet to plug into my pc to try it though.
Yes there is, you can adjust the sidetone and eq settings. Not much else other than that.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a hyperx cloud II wirelsss. it works on ps5, pc, and switch. I'll let yall know how it sounds

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
I read of multiple times that peope have problems using their Arctis Wireless Pro with PS5. When connected via USB the sound is reportedly very thin in comparison to PS4. Connecting via optical is not an option as you lose Tempest 3D Audio. Can anybody who has a PS5 and the Wireless Pro give some feedback?
On a sidenote I was very surprised, that the 7P-dongle blocks the other USB-ports when using the USB-C... this seems oversight by Steel Series somehow. This that true?

yup yesterday I hooked my up & wondered why it when vertical instead of horizontal. hey even could've made it look like a USB stick. Instead they chose an I form which blocks the other port.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I really wish my Arctis 7, that I was using with my PC worked completely with my next gen consoles. They worked wirelessly with PS5 but they need to be plugged into the controller on Xbox. I assume they still get dts when plugged in like that.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
If dual bluetooth is a requirement for me, what's the best set of headphones for use with PS5 and Switch? A nice bonus would be if there are decent for music, tv, and movies.

pmunk

Nov 11, 2017
What is my best bet for headset compatible with both Series X and PS5? Looks like something from the steelseries brand?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If I get a Sony 1000mx4, can I sync with my xbox, ps5 and phone via BT and switch between them easily?

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Hey fellow era members, so I am little tight on budget but still want to get a wireless headset for the PS4/PS5. I am finding Pulse 3D to be a good option, it's falling at the $100 budget I have got for now. Would you recommend that? or something a little more better at a $50 extra price?