• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Will wait on a Black Friday sale for either the Penrose X or Artics 7 X.
If anyone own or have bought those headsets, please let people know your thoughts on them especially on the new consoles.
Plenty here own the 7x (and there are have been a good number or opinions for them already), but the Penrose haven't shipped yet so I don't think we will get any info on them for at least a few weeks if not into December.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Audeze Penrose's are open back wireless. They haven't shipped yet though so still waiting on reviews. They are pretty speedy too but are expected to be very good.
The Penrose headsets are not open back, they're closed.

I really hope my Penrose gets here by the PS5 release. Last Audeze mentioned, the non-X versions should be shipping within the next few days with expedited shipping. 🤞🏼

Apr 18, 2018
The Penrose headsets are not open back, they're closed.

I really hope my Penrose gets here by the PS5 release. Last Audeze mentioned, the non-X versions should be shipping within the next few days with expedited shipping. 🤞🏼
Oh wow, they are closed back. Thanks for correcting me, thought they were open. Still looking forward to reviews.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Will wait on a Black Friday sale for either the Penrose X or Artics 7 X.
If anyone own or have bought those headsets, please let people know your thoughts on them especially on the new consoles.

The Arctis 7X is a fantastic headset. Big drivers, great sound, solid bass for being wireless. Compatible with every console and device known to man basically.

I don't doubt the Penrose X will be a solid choice. However it costs more and is not compatible between all devices. Unless the onboard bluetooth works with the PS5 as an audio device.......but no way would I ever consider that ideal for any use of sound quality vs the USB dongles.

Yoh

Nov 19, 2017
The Arctis 7X is a fantastic headset. Big drivers, great sound, solid bass for being wireless. Compatible with every console and device known to man basically.

I don't doubt the Penrose X will be a solid choice. However it costs more and is not compatible between all devices. Unless the onboard bluetooth works with the PS5 as an audio device.......but no way would I ever consider that ideal for any use of sound quality vs the USB dongles.
Thanks, if you bought either the PS5 or the Xbox Series please give us feedback later on the week.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Steel Series is great. Love their mice also.

I have Astro A50s right now though since I got a good deal on them. They've treated me well.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Already have the Arctis 9X for Series X, thinking of getting the Arctis 7P for PS5 because it use the Tempest audio which is the same as the Sony Pulse

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

the 7X will also work wirelessly with Switch in handheld mode thanks to USB-C

for the Penrose you'd have to use an aux cable I believe?

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
I'm still very confused. Will 3D Tempest Audio work with my Arctis 9?
Does the headset have to be plugged into the controller or USB port for it to work?

DomLando

Nov 1, 2017
I've been using a pair of Hyper cloud x for the last couple of years. They are wired and I connect them through the controller (Xbox one x/PS4 pro). My question is will these wireless head sets like the arctis 7x, sound better or worse compared to wired headsets through the controller?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So is GameStop just not going to sell the 7X? I have credit there but it's not listed on their website.

Bestbuy doesn't sell the 7X either?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I received my 7X today. Fast shipping! When used with the Switch the mic picks everything up and feeds into the headphones. Is there a way to disable this in the system settings as opposed to turning the mic off on the headset? Not a huge deal, but I'd rather not have the mic lit up (it lights up when turned off on the headset) at all times...

And actually, now that I think about it, it's kind of weird how the mic was picking up all the ambient sounds in my house and sending to headphones...

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Steelseries arctis 7x seems to be the frontrunner. Anyone actually own one and can comment on the build quality and audio quality?
I'm pleased with mine fwiw
Doesn't this need an extra dongle to be purchased separately though? It seems like those dongles aren't for sale yet or just out of stock.
No
Yes, but in order to use it on both systems without having to constantly unplug and plug it into a system, you would need a second dongle. Some of the options I've seen don't even seem to have the option to have multiple dongles. I would think the ideal situation for someone who has both systems is that it would always be plugged into both and you would just toggle it on the headset which this at least fits that criteria but would still need the purchase of an extra dongle that doesn't seem available yet.

Edit: I just read you can only pair to one dongle at a time so the Arctis 7X is a deal breaker for me. Is there any wireless headset that lets you have multiple dongles at the same time?
I use a USB switcher for between PC, XB, PS and Switch - only hassle is the switch for XB/not XB

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I received my 7X today. Fast shipping! When used with the Switch the mic picks everything up and feeds into the headphones. Is there a way to disable this in the system settings as opposed to turning the mic off on the headset? Not a huge deal, but I'd rather not have the mic lit up (it lights up when turned off on the headset) at all times...

And actually, now that I think about it, it's kind of weird how the mic was picking up all the ambient sounds in my house and sending to headphones...
Sidetone might be enabled. Try plugging it into your PC, go the the steelseries engine and disable it. When I open mine, thats the first thing I'm doing.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Just got an email saying Penrose will ship starting the 12th of November, but they have to apply a final firmware. At this rate, I'll be happy if I get it before the thanksgiving break.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who gets a Penrose headset, please post impressions in here and wether or not they work with XB/PS consoles

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Just got an email saying Penrose will ship starting the 12th of November, but they have to apply a final firmware. At this rate, I'll be happy if I get it before the thanksgiving break.
Lol yeah i cancelled mine last week and just went with the 7P's I refuse to fire up my next-gen console without a new headset

Apr 18, 2018
Here's the update email from Audeze:

htQxfCy.png

Taken from: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-penrose-x-and-penrose.937477/page-54

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone that receives their Penrose headsets, please post impressions and if possible, check compatibility with PS/XB consoles. Specifically PS5/XSX.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Penrose is PS5 only.

Penrose X is the one that might (unofficially) work on PS5, and those haven't passed Microsoft certification yet.

I know the Penrose is, but the X has a switch on the dongle, that maybe makes it work with both Xbox and PlayStation consoles. It's possibly the same for the Penrose.

A few people in this thread, myself included, have reached out to Audeze for clarification, but there hasn't been any definitive answer. I'm hoping the silence is them just waiting on the certification from MS before they can confirm anything.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I know the Penrose is, but the X has a switch on the dongle, that maybe makes it work with both Xbox and PlayStation consoles. It's possibly the same for the Penrose.

A few people in this thread, myself included, have reached out to Audeze for clarification, but there hasn't been any definitive answer. I'm hoping the silence is them just waiting on the certification from MS before they can confirm anything.
There's no switch on the Penrose dongle.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
That update email sucks but at least it's coming soon. I pre-ordered late so I don't expect to see mine until after Thanksgiving. We'll see.

Went with regular Penrose because I don't think I'll ever own an Xbox. Want to play all MS games on PC

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Im using my new arctis 7x. Initial impressions are good so far, but I find the volume too low when its maxed on the slider? also do these need to break in ?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Im using my new arctis 7x. Initial impressions are good so far, but I find the volume too low when its maxed on the slider? also do these need to break in ?
I tend to break in all my headphones. Is the volume up on the console? When I first got my 7P I thought the same thing, but the output volume from the console was only set halfway for some reason.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
I didn't think of a switcher. I assume no quality is lost?
Probably not the best person to ask but seems fine to me, not sure why there would be quality loss either as it's a switch rather than a splitter...but like I said, I'm no expert. Switcher did cost me £40 but I wanted one with a remote and latest USB compliant for longevity.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
For XSX, how does the controller audio connection compare to like dedicated wireless headsets? Deciding between going all out on wireless like an Arctic 7X or just use my PC headset on the controller. Would I louse much quality or features like Dolby Atmos (virtual?)

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Got my 7x today. How should I setup for use with Series X? I have the Dolby and DTS apps. Do I need to do anything on my PC to change the sound for first setup?

snogrigg

Sep 11, 2018
Got my 7x today. How should I setup for use with Series X? I have the Dolby and DTS apps. Do I need to do anything on my PC to change the sound for first setup?
Yes would like to know this as well!

Also how long is it supposed to take to charge? I've had it charging for like 3 hours and the headset LED is still showing as red, which is 10-19% charged according to the manual.