• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Pulse Elite Edition (since PS3) are still expensive online, compared to the Pulse 3D... is that because there is more tech and sound quality in there, compared to the Pulse 3D and other headsets?

Anyone still own a Pulse Elite? Is it that good?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I got mine early as well. Really deceiving padding because only about a 3rd of the outside pleather you see is cushioning. Not only do I find it uncomfortable compared to the 9X's I've had over a year, but almost no isolation from outside sound.

Assuming the 9X and 7P are pretty comparable for comfort, it's night and day. Easily the most comfortable headset I've ever worn.
This is super concerning to me as someone who has tons of issues with headaches and ear pain with headsets. One reason I have kept my A50s even though the wireless sound quality is pretty inconsistent is because they are so big and luxurious and rarely hurt my head. I also use earbuds a lot because of this.

Hope I don't have to return my Pulse headset as I bought it directly from Sony and that might be a pain...

Any impressions on the Arctis 7x comfort?

Souplex

Oct 27, 2017
MI
This is super concerning to me as someone who has tons of issues with headaches and ear pain with headsets. One reason I have kept my A50s even though the wireless sound quality is pretty inconsistent is because they are so big and luxurious and rarely hurt my head. I also use earbuds a lot because of this.

Hope I don't have to return my Pulse headset as I bought it directly from Sony and that might be a pain...

Any impressions on the Arctis 7x comfort?
Looked at reviews and 7x is identical to 9x as far as comfort goes. 10/10 as far as I'm concerned.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Pulse Elite Edition (since PS3) are still expensive online, compared to the Pulse 3D... is that because there is more tech and sound quality in there, compared to the Pulse 3D and other headsets?

Wasn't the Pulse Elite for the PS3 quite unique? It was a headset that featured a rumble pak in the earcups. Other than that, sound quality-wise, Sony's headsets nowadays are just as great, if not better. Sony just hasn't really done rumble in the earcups since the Pulse Elites.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Got the Pulse 3D in and they feel more comfortable than the Platinum headset. Though agreed that the earcups are a bit small, so you kind of have to fold your ears in a bit.

Trying on a PS4 and it emits a similar and subtle 'crackling' effect that the Plat's did. Not sure if that is just weird interference with the dongle or just a PS4 thing, but meh. It's like there is a bit of a crack when sound is emitted, particularly when highlighting icons in the dash.

If it works well with PS5 as described, I'll stick with them, but right now they don't feel very premium. Just basically the plats with a slightly different plastic housing and a lack of 3D toggle(which is now native I guess on PS5).

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear...

For the Arctis 7P, other than how it won't work on the Xbox Series S|X, are there any other negatives?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Looked at reviews and 7x is identical to 9x as far as comfort goes. 10/10 as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks, I am just going to open these up and try them with PS4 (or just on my head) and if they are uncomfortable hopefully Sony will take a return. Comfort is so important to me because of headaches that if worse comes to worse I will just use earbuds.

The reason I ruled out the A50s on PS5 this time is because I refuse to go through the pass through - it limits you to 4k60 (and I realize how few games will be at 120) and adds another buffer in the connection. Truth be told a one size fits all approach really does seem appealing in the 7x...just worried I might miss some of the advance mixing features the A50s offer.

Peace Tea

Feb 17, 2018

i still own one. Its okay. That expensive online price may be due to nostalgia or something. There's more plastic used for all the control switches, which are fairly big in size (convenient). The rumble feature i leave permanently off.

Your probably better off with the new PS5 headset. Better battery life, bigger drivers (45mm versus 40mm), and deeper earcups it seems. It should produce better sound quality.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Just to be clear...

For the Arctis 7P, other than how it won't work on the Xbox Series S|X, are there any other negatives?
They look ugly!

I spend the weekend with the 7X. I think the right cup sidetone might be the only other thing that works universally, which is nice. On the 7X you need to tweak it in the computer settings.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They look ugly!

I spend the weekend with the 7X. I think the right cup sidetone might be the only other thing that works universally, which is nice. On the 7X you need to tweak it in the computer settings.
Really? I love the look of my white 7P's and I usually get everything in black

BlakStatus

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions on the mic quality and bass response on 7x/7p? Still don't know if I want to go for arctis or pulse 3d

Oct 28, 2017
I just got the ps5 pulse headsets. In case people are wondering what I was before I got them, my pc did recognize the USB dongle and I was able to enable Dolby atmos for headsets. Haven't played any video games yet but I tested out the videos in the Dolby app and it sounds good for a headset.

The main thing is I'm shocked at how comfortable it is to wear the headset in my opinion. It does seem fragile but for someone like me who doesn't like wearing headsets it is super lightweight and comfortable.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
I got mine early as well. Really deceiving padding because only about a 3rd of the outside pleather you see is cushioning. Not only do I find it uncomfortable compared to the 9X's I've had over a year, but almost no isolation from outside sound.

Assuming the 9X and 7P are pretty comparable for comfort, it's night and day. Easily the most comfortable headset I've ever worn.
Any idea how it is with glasses? (if you have any :P)

Dermotbubz

Sep 19, 2020
Anyone know if the Astro A50's current Xbox Version will work on both the Series X and the PS5.

I have the XBOX version currently used with my One X and they also work on my PS4 despite claims they won't when I put them into PC mode.

There is a PS5 HDMI adapter available from Astro Gaming to enable audio mixing on PS5 however I just want to know if they will work without audio mixing

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Echoing what has already been stated about the Pulse. It's good for the price but the noise isolation will be an issue if you live in a noisy environment.
If you're budget limited get the Pulse, if you're willing to spend $50 more get the SS 7P.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
I just decided to bite the bullet and preorder the Audeze Penrose. Im alarmed that theres no reviews for these things yet except for testimonials that Audeze put out themselves. I hope they end up being as good as they seem to be. I also hope theyre comfortable.

RivalGary

Jun 4, 2019
Pallet Town, Kanto
I just decided to bite the bullet and preorder the Audeze Penrose. Im alarmed that theres no reviews for these things yet except for testimonials that Audeze put out themselves. I hope they end up being as good as they seem to be. I also hope theyre comfortable.

My experience with a different (but similar) Audeze gaming headset was that they were very high quality but also quite heavy and ultimately made the top of my head hurt after a relatively short amount of time. But I think that is likely to be different from person to person (I think my head is pretty small) and I'm not sure how this newer model compares weight/padding wise. Look forward to your impressions!

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
Anyone know if the Astro A50's current Xbox Version will work on both the Series X and the PS5.

I have the XBOX version currently used with my One X and they also work on my PS4 despite claims they won't when I put them into PC mode.

There is a PS5 HDMI adapter available from Astro Gaming to enable audio mixing on PS5 however I just want to know if they will work without audio mixing

The Astro Blog says yes:

• Gen 3 & Gen 4 – Supports game sound and voice chat via USB. Requires HDMI Adapter for mixing.
I ordered the HDMI Adapter for that which unfortunately only supports HDMI 2.0.
BTW if you order it and enter you A50's serial number while doing it you get a 15€ discount.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
I do have glasses. My acetate ones with fairly thick stems are very comfortable. Sometimes have issues with my thin metal frames over extended play.
Thanks! Is that with the Steelseries or the Sony? Already went ahead and ordered the steelseries ones, but good to check.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
My experience with a different (but similar) Audeze gaming headset was that they were very high quality but also quite heavy and ultimately made the top of my head hurt after a relatively short amount of time. But I think that is likely to be different from person to person (I think my head is pretty small) and I'm not sure how this newer model compares weight/padding wise. Look forward to your impressions!
Ill definitely post my impressions. Theyre supposed to start shipping soon. Im hoping to get them before the PS5 launches but I dont know if thats going to happen.
Reading further, Im actually kind of hyped. A lot of the early tidbits about them sound very promising.

Souplex

Oct 27, 2017
MI
I also pre-ordered the Penrose X but this is exactly my concern. I have the surface headphones for work and if I wear them more than an hour, they start to hurt the top center of my head.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Mobius is 350 grams and Penrose is 320, so it's a little lighter.

That's 12.35 ounces down to 11.29.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Are the Arctis 7x/7p the same as the Arctis 7 2019 edition? Or is there something else to it.

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just received my Arctis 7X, can't wait to kick it off on the 10th. Are there any special settings i should be looking at in the Engine software for the headset?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
So with the ps5 headset out of stock whats the best wireless headset around same price or cheaper?

Arctis 1 Wireless is on par with the Pulse at the same price.

Arctis 7P is $50 more but seems to be a really good choice

HyperX Cloud Stinger Core $80

HyperX Cloud II Wireless is coming, but is $149

The older Sony headsets work as well but the Pulse 3D is the best headset Sony has made in a while.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Arctis 1 Wireless is on par with the Pulse at the same price.

Arctis 7P is $50 more but seems to be a really good choice

HyperX Cloud Stinger Core $80

HyperX Cloud II Wireless is coming, but is $149

The older Sony headsets work as well but the Pulse 3D is the best headset Sony has made in a while.
Got both the 7x and the PS5 Pulse. Have A50s still hooked up to X1X. Not sure which of the two to open, really hoping to move to a one size fits all solution (including PC). Someone give me some tips here!