• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Went ahead and ordered the Penrose X, hopefully it works on PS5 too but if not then I'll just cop a Pulse 3D headset when it's available if they can't work out a multiplat solution.
Looks like it doesn't

1. What's the difference between Penrose and Penrose X?
    1. Penrose is compatible with PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 gaming consoles, as well as Windows and Macintosh systems. Penrose X is designed for Xbox, and is compatible with Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, as well as Windows systems.

Apr 18, 2018
People say when going wired to the controller on a DualShock 4 that the audio quality drops a lot; is the same true when going to an Xbox One controller? I'm assuming yes, but curious if that's right or not.

I really wish there was more official information out there from Sony and Microsoft about sound quality provided through the controllers. I have this same question. I'm tempted to order Penrose X's myself but will likely just start out wired.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it doesn't

1. Penrose is compatible with PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 gaming consoles, as well as Windows and Macintosh systems. Penrose X is designed for Xbox, and is compatible with Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, as well as Windows systems.
It might when reverting to normal USB audio. There's a switch to disable the Microsoft protocol

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Looks like it doesn't

Theoretically the dongle's second switch should work on the PS5 because it will function as a normal USB headset. But nobody knows for sure until it's tested.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between the penrose x and the arctis 7x?
Penrose uses planar magnetic drivers instead of the usual. Flatter frequency curve and generally better spatial audio as far as I know. The price to pay is less air movement so less oomph in the lower end. Midrange should be unmatched.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
For Dolby Atmos Headphones:
Dolby
Custom
Surround On
Volume Leveler Off

found that from the experts in Head Fi forum

what's the option in the steelseries engine to
Shut off so I won't hear my voice over the mic??
Okay, will try this. Currently Im using Movie Balanced.

I think the setting is called Mic Monitoring or something like that, should be easy to spot once you are in the app.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
How are you guys finding the 7x at Walmart? Just going store to store or is there an inventory checker somewhere?

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Conflicted on the Pulse 3D. Just wore it for around 2 hours and my ears are slightly sore. The cups just aren't deep enough so my ears rub on the inside.

I'm so used to the PC360s but I really want to go wireless. I've yet to find a wireless headset that I truly like.
Has anyone used the 7P alongside the Pulse 3D and can compare the two?

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Conflicted on the Pulse 3D. Just wore it for around 2 hours and my ears are slightly sore. The cups just aren't deep enough so my ears rub on the inside.

I'm so used to the PC360s but I really want to go wireless. I've yet to find a wireless headset that I truly like.
I owned the Sony platinums and I don't suspect the pulse 3d being better. Same problem, too tight. Sound quality maybe marginally better or the same in same games. I think you can tweak the EQ on the 7P to your liking.

I missed the vss and the battery life notifications.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
After suffering through the Platinum's absolutely broken hidden mics, causing echo in chat, I decided to go SteelSeries 7x for a while and not even wait for a Pulse review.

I wish Sony would use boom mics. They're just for superior for isolating mic and headphones.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
So I finally got my headset yesterday! They're actually pretty dam nice! They are extremely comfortable which is a HUGE plus for me. The sound quality is good as well. I'm coming from some wired Sennheisers that I've been using for a while. Sennheisers had a little more clarity for voices in games, but I hear all other sounds a LOT better in games with these 7x's. You can still hear the voices just fine, but that's the only thing I noticed right away. Again tho, the sound is very very good and I hear other ambient and random noises like footsteps and stuff a LOT clearer. My mic works well, even tho it's a little sensitive. I was in a Party Chat and everyone said I sounded fine and they could hear me clearly. I like having the Game/Party chat volume controls on the headset, it helps a lot. The only thing weird is when I plugged them into my xbox, I had to switch it from Xbox to USB, back to Xbox on the USB dongle for the Xbox to pick up the headset. For some reason, my Xbox doesn't recognize them right away when I just turn it on. Could be cuz I'm in the preview program, or maybe there's a software update that I don't know about. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong, lol. Overall, I'm extremely impressed with them and am very happy with my purchase. Haven't gotten to use them on anything else, but I mainly got them for Xbox and my PS5 that will be coming. Only games I've played with them so far were Watch Dogs: Legion and Little Hope (Dark Pictures Anthology). Figured a good open world game would be good to hear a bunch of sounds, and a horror game would be good for voices and bass and ambient sounds. I would for sure recommend them to anyone that wants some wireless headphones for Xbox and Playstation. Any questions, and I'll try to answer them if I can. :D

Thanks for posting impressions, if the penrose turns out to be single console, I think I'll definitely get the 7x

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Would the 7x be good enough for someone who's used to the sound quality of wired Sennheiser headphones in the 200-300$ range, ie an audiophile lite :).

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Would the 7x be good enough for someone who's used to the sound quality of wired Sennheiser headphones in the 200-300$ range, ie an audiophile lite :).
For gaming, I think yes... but admittedly I haven't tested on the Xbox/PlayStation yet (only the Switch).

I have Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless that I use on PC, and 598c that I've used wired to the controller. I guess the best comparison would be with the 598 from the controller vs the 7x wireless since I can't use the Momentums wirelessly with the Xbox or PlayStation. I will say that on the Switch it sounds great so far, but I'll need to spend some time testing on the consoles as well.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For gaming, I think yes... but admittedly I haven't tested on the Xbox/PlayStation yet (only the Switch).

I have Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless that I use on PC, and 598c that I've used wired to the controller. I guess the best comparison would be with the 598 from the controller vs the 7x wireless since I can't use the Momentums wirelessly with the Xbox or PlayStation. I will say that on the Switch it sounds great so far, but I'll need to spend some time testing on the consoles as well.
Thank you. How is the bass? Also would you say the sound signature is warm and, or rather more tuned to high treble?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Thank you. How is the bass? Also would you say the sound signature is warm and, or rather more tuned to high treble?
I honestly haven't tried it with content that would push it yet (only Hades on the Switch really).

If no one else gets back to you I'll try to test it out a bit tonight (the kids are hogging both TVs for football this afternoon).

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know anything about the DAC/amp in the dualsense and if it's any better than the DS4?

I own PC360s that I love on my PC but I always felt like they were weak when plugged into the DS4. They're 7 years old and the on ear volume control is starting to go so I might be due for a replacement.

I keep saying that I want wireless but have yet to find anything wireless that I truly enjoy. Golds were good enough, A50s have quality issues, and the Pulse 3D hurts my ears. So now I'm wondering if I'm better off buying new Sennheisers and using them plugged in. I'll just have to find a way to manage the wires better.

Also wondering if I should just go with regular headphones instead of a headset and then get a mod mic but I have no clue if such a thing is possible on ps5.

Edit: actually eyeing these up now
drop.com

Drop + EPOS PC38X Yellow Gaming Headset | Audiophile | Headphones | Open Back Headphones

Drop exclusive product, price and reviews: Drop + EPOS PC38X Yellow Gaming Headset | An upgraded version of the crowd-favorite PC37X, our PC38X gaming...

Last edited:

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
read some reviews that the strap on the 7's loosens/stretches over time. ended up going with the corsair virtuoso rgb se with the best buy replacement plan. Should be good to go for the next 2 years minimum. the espresso color is $30 off atm.

Been messing around with it on PC this afternoon and it sounds great.

snipah

Oct 28, 2017
Idea: Why not use the homespot Bluetooth 5.0 adapter for Switch which reportedly also works for PC and PS4 (and thus assumedly also for PS5) and use the AirPods with the console? Very versatile solution, if it works... although I have to admit that it will not work with XSX

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Idea: Why not use the homespot Bluetooth 5.0 adapter for Switch which reportedly also works for PC and PS4 (and thus assumedly also for PS5) and use the AirPods with the console? Very versatile solution, if it works... although I have to admit that it will not work with XSX
There's a huge delay between pressing a button and hearing the sound play when using Bluetooth, which I find intolerable.
Some people don't seem to notice/mind, and maybe it's fine if you're on a commute with your Switch and that's more convenient than a cable, but I couldn't play a game like that unless the only audio from it was music.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
There's way too much latency with Bluetooth, which is why they all use custom USB wireless setups instead.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Penrose doesn't have chat mix on the headset either for PS5... lol how?

Pulse 3D does, but not A50s, Arctis Pro, or Penrose lol... thanks sony.

Batsy

Oct 16, 2018
That's so messed up. You can still technically do it on the Astro A50s and Arctis Pro but they require an HDMI Optical splitter

Ps5 doesnt even have an optical port anymore so for people that want to run headsets/speakers that use optical to connect you will need an hdmi audio extractor anyways. The only issue is there are none that currently support hdmi 2.1 for people that are trying to be ready for 4k 120 if it ever happens for a game.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Ps5 doesnt even have an optical port anymore so for people that want to run headsets/speakers that use optical to connect you will need an hdmi audio extractor anyways. The only issue is there are none that currently support hdmi 2.1 for people that are trying to be ready for 4k 120 if it ever happens for a game.
Yeah, it's the first gen PSVR breakout box situation all over again.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

It's happening for multiple games at launch, including COD, DMC and R6 Siege.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
My understanding is that Sony doesn't allow any third parties to control the chat mix.
There are chat mix controls built into the PS5 OS, so you adjust the chat mix on the console itself (so as not to interfere with the Tempest audio stuff I guess?). The Sony headsets just have a backdoor into the OS that third parties don't have access to, which is why their headsets have controls on them to adjust the OS level chat mix, as well as the OSD stuff that only Sony headsets have access to.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Do we know anything about the DAC/amp in the dualsense and if it's any better than the DS4?

I own PC360s that I love on my PC but I always felt like they were weak when plugged into the DS4. They're 7 years old and the on ear volume control is starting to go so I might be due for a replacement.

I keep saying that I want wireless but have yet to find anything wireless that I truly enjoy. Golds were good enough, A50s have quality issues, and the Pulse 3D hurts my ears. So now I'm wondering if I'm better off buying new Sennheisers and using them plugged in. I'll just have to find a way to manage the wires better.

Also wondering if I should just go with regular headphones instead of a headset and then get a mod mic but I have no clue if such a thing is possible on ps5.

Edit: actually eyeing these up now
drop.com

Drop + EPOS PC38X Yellow Gaming Headset | Audiophile | Headphones | Open Back Headphones

Drop exclusive product, price and reviews: Drop + EPOS PC38X Yellow Gaming Headset | An upgraded version of the crowd-favorite PC37X, our PC38X gaming...
I've been looking for info on this too, but haven't heard anything. I think anyone with a PS5 to test it on is either under embargo or not focused on a comparatively minor detail, especially since Dualsense has so many other talking points

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
There are chat mix controls built into the PS5 OS, so you adjust the chat mix on the console itself (so as not to interfere with the Tempest audio stuff I guess?). The Sony headsets just have a backdoor into the OS that third parties don't have access to, which is why their headsets have controls on them to adjust the OS level chat mix, as well as the OSD stuff that only Sony headsets have access to.
I'm aware you can do it in the OS itself, just like you can on Xbox as well. I believe you used to not be able to control it natively on Xbox but they allow that now (maybe that's part of the reason why Xbox needs it's own dongle mode). Some of the headsets already have the controls built in, so it's slightly annoying that Sony won't allow that to be natively controlled via the headset.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'm aware you can do it in the OS itself, just like you can on Xbox as well. I believe you used to not be able to control it natively on Xbox but they allow that now (maybe that's part of the reason why Xbox needs it's own dongle mode). Some of the headsets already have the controls built in, so it's slightly annoying that Sony won't allow that to be natively controlled via the headset.
As I said, it's just an assumption on my part, but I'm guessing that's so that third parties can't destroy/degrade the Tempest audio stuff by adding their own post-processing of audio. That's not an issue that Microsoft has to contend with obviously, because they're not doing that sort of audio processing.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
Would anyone care to recommend a wired headset? I'm looking for one with really good mic quality. The headsets I've owned all make me sound muffled and such.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Any word on whether or not air pods will work on next gen consoles. I'm going to wait for the 7X, but in the meantime I'd rather not buy an extra set.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for info on this too, but haven't heard anything. I think anyone with a PS5 to test it on is either under embargo or not focused on a comparatively minor detail, especially since Dualsense has so many other talking points
That's what it seems like.
I decided that I'm just going to wait a month or two before deciding what I want to do. By then, we should have plenty of info and itll be Christmastime and Ill probably have some extra money laying around to spend on myself.

Pretty sure im going to go wired now and get a decent Sennheiser headset to replace my current one. I just need to figure out how to manage the wires. They tangle me up and then I always yank the cord out....

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Got my Arctis 7P today and I love it, only downside is the mic picks up the fan in my room :(

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
Which headphones are the best for me? I just want some 100-120€ wireless headphones to use with my xbox SX and get 3D audio if possible. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't need a microphone but it it's there it's ok.

Any advice? Thanks guys, I'm totally lost here.

Edit:

I guess the arctis 1 wireless xbox are a good choice? I'm only using them with the xbox and maaaaybe with my MacBook Pro. Should I get Dolby Atmos license or DTS on the xbox? Thanks.

Last edited:

snipah

Oct 28, 2017
Got my Arctis 7P today and I love it, only downside is the mic picks up the fan in my room :(

Returned mine today, even though I quite liked them. Problem: They do not work with PS3.

Debating on SteelSeries Wireless Pro vs. Pulse 3D now: It is possible to connect the Wireless Pro to the SPDIF/ opticial of my C9, but does this introduce any lag or does it work ok? Will I have 3D-Audio in PS5 that way? Would love this solution, because then I'd have a one-for-all headset solution.

If this does not work, I tend to buy the Pulse 3D, which I have on pre-order, ready to pick up on 12th. These will work with PS3, PS5 and Switch, but with the need to move the dongle from console to console.

[Edit] ...if this does not work, it should be easily possible to connect the PS3 via optical and the PS5 via USB, while powering from the wall. This way i'd have 3D-audio on PS5 for sure!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I will believe it when I see it because even higher end pcs struggle with 4k 120

You're conflating two different things. Internal render resolution for those games won't be native 4K, but that has no effect on HDMI output. Your output to the display will still be 3840x2160 @ 120hz, and you'll therefore need to be 48gbps-capable throughout your entire signal chain.

Souplex

Oct 27, 2017
MI

I got mine early as well. Really deceiving padding because only about a 3rd of the outside pleather you see is cushioning. Not only do I find it uncomfortable compared to the 9X's I've had over a year, but almost no isolation from outside sound.

Assuming the 9X and 7P are pretty comparable for comfort, it's night and day. Easily the most comfortable headset I've ever worn.