• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
Well I can't use the 7X on PlayStation. My friend I normally play with say the mic quality is awful and I need to use my HyperX Cloud 2's again.

Hopefully the PS5 lets me select a different mic and headphones source better so I can use the headset I really like and not have complaints about my mic quality

Did you have the mic within an inch of your mouth? It's very directional.

Did you adjust the mic level in the PS4 audio settings to calibrate it? This will be necessary.

You can connect the headphones to a PC and use the Steel Series Engine app to bump up the mic level, adjust the side tone level, and tweak the EQ. These settings are saved to the headset and will carry over to console.

We have both the 7P and the 7X. Same mic and it's fine on both consoles and PC.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked the hifiheadphones site (uk) and they now have their Penrose X orders shipping early December, what a bummer. Wonder why they're taking so god damn long when US orders are starting to ship?

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the 7x. It's great.
Where did you get one? I can't find it for purchase anywhere

I assume in store? I've been checking everyday online and never see it available. I did, however, spend like 2 hours driving to two different Walmarts and dealing with employees who couldn't be bothered looking up inventory based on SKU. Brickseek indicated that it was available so I did finally convince one employee to look it up and he disappeared for 30 mins in the back only to come out and say he couldn't find it. Reminded me of why I never shop at Walmart.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I assume in store? I've been checking everyday online and never see it available. I did, however, spend like 2 hours driving to two different Walmarts and dealing with employees who couldn't be bothered looking up inventory based on SKU. Brickseek indicated that it was available so I did finally convince one employee to look it up and he disappeared for 30 mins in the back only to come out and say he couldn't find it. Reminded me of why I never shop at Walmart.

Ordered online to pick up in store the next day. Before that I was having issues finding them anywhere.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered online to pick up in store the next day. Before that I was having issues finding them anywhere.

Oh, I get it now. I changed the zip code to a random state and see that you can add it to the cart, etc. It's never been available anywhere near me, so there's never been an option to place an order and just said out of stock. I just assumed it wasn't available yet.

adelante

Oct 27, 2017
Audeze already have samples up:
www.audeze.com

The Audeze Penrose Microphone (With Audio Examples!)

Last year, in Las Vegas we were at a E-Sports tournament. The players were using the headphones from the brand sponsor, but sound engineers were taping a microphone from a different brand for broadcast and taping it. When speaking to the sound engineers, they told us most microphones in gaming...
Sweet thanks. They're using the headset here in this twitch stream too... tho I suspect the host CP might be using an external mic, while the guy is using the Penrose mic, cos the former sounds cleaner, albeit her volume was a bit low:

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
You can connect them to the pc and disable it via the steelseries software. That's what I did.

Anyone a recommendation in Dolby Atmos Equalizers ?

For Dolby Atmos Headphones:
Dolby
Custom
Surround On
Volume Leveler Off

found that from the experts in Head Fi forum

what's the option in the steelseries engine to
Shut off so I won't hear my voice over the mic??

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
So, out of curiosity: I have a set of Bose wireless noise cancelling headphones and have access to a Beats wireless noise cancelling headphones as well. Would either of them work with the PS5? Since on PS4 I'd need a form of a dongle.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Just checked the hifiheadphones site (uk) and they now have their Penrose X orders shipping early December, what a bummer. Wonder why they're taking so god damn long when US orders are starting to ship?
US orders aren't starting to ship yet. They don't expect to start shipping the Penrose in the US until Nov 9. The Penrose X will be even later than that, because it was held up in Microsoft Certification longer.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
US orders aren't starting to ship yet. They don't expect to start shipping the Penrose in the US until Nov 9. The Penrose X will be even later than that, because it was held up in Microsoft Certification longer.

Thanks for the info, guess I'll sit tight and wait it out. At least reviews will out before these reach me, have that to look forward to!

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
If the Penrose actually ship on the 9th with expedited shipping it should be delivered by the 14th at the latest. I'm hoping they get ahead of schedule and start shipping by next Friday

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
The Arctis 7x is comfy as hell. Beyond anything I've ever used.

I think the only thing I need to get is a USB-C to USB-A adapter. Not a huge fan of the wire. Need a monster adapter for my magnum dongle.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
I ended up preordering the Penrose X to get in on the $50 preorder discount. No taxes and shipping to US, also.

I can always cancel as more info comes out but it really seems, especially with the toggle switch on the X receiver, that it's going to be similar to the 7x/7p situation.

Souplex

Oct 27, 2017
MI
I ended up preordering the Penrose X to get in on the $50 preorder discount. No taxes and shipping to US, also.

I can always cancel as more info comes out but it really seems, especially with the toggle switch on the X receiver, that it's going to be similar to the 7x/7p situation.
There's a toggle switch on the dongle? Where did that come out?

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
There's a toggle switch on the dongle? Where did that come out?

lighter

It's on the site product page if you scroll down a bit. There's a nub on the green receiver that isn't on the blue.

Souplex

Oct 27, 2017
MI
lighter

It's on the site product page if you scroll down a bit. There's a nub on the green receiver that isn't on the blue.
Oh interesting. Seems so odd they won't confirm cross functionality if it's included. I even reached out to support and they said they couldn't confirm PS5 compatibility and just to buy the version for the console you expect to use most.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Oh interesting. Seems so odd they won't confirm cross functionality if it's included. I even reached out to support and they said they couldn't confirm PS5 compatibility and just to buy the version for the console you expect to use most.

Yeah, I went down a rabbit hole last night and read anything I could find in YouTube, Reddit, or Era comments. Audeze reiterate's over and over that they have licensing/security issues that isn't letting them say. It is odd, I don't fully understand, and my plan is just to cancel or return for a small shipping fee if-needed. That switch/toggle to me on the X, which would obviously be the PC input, seems like the best evidence I can see so far. PC is standard USB like PS5 - from what I can tell.

Their site also lists Nintendo Switch if you scroll down, but doesn't show it up top. That could just mean 3.5mm connection but that just adds to the bad communication so far.

I did just find a 7x at my local Walmart for pickup. Going to check that out in the meantime, whoo.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
People say when going wired to the controller on a DualShock 4 that the audio quality drops a lot; is the same true when going to an Xbox One controller? I'm assuming yes, but curious if that's right or not.

BlakStatus

Oct 27, 2017
So the 7P supports the PS5 3D audio wirelessly while the 7X only supports PS5 3D audio while wired? Is that correct?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
This Arctis 7P is really comfortable. I'm glad I went with SteelSeries this time. I can see this being a joy to use in long play sessions.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did you have the mic within an inch of your mouth? It's very directional.

Did you adjust the mic level in the PS4 audio settings to calibrate it? This will be necessary.

You can connect the headphones to a PC and use the Steel Series Engine app to bump up the mic level, adjust the side tone level, and tweak the EQ. These settings are saved to the headset and will carry over to console.

We have both the 7P and the 7X. Same mic and it's fine on both consoles and PC.

Yeah, it's more.robotty sound apparently. Should be able to use it though, I heard the mic quality of the Dual sense and it actually sounds a lot clearer than most headset mics, so I might be able to just use that.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, it's more.robotty sound apparently. Should be able to use it though, I heard the mic quality of the Dual sense and it actually sounds a lot clearer than most headset mics, so I might be able to just use that.
My sons friends told him he sounds different on the 7P too. They reckon his Gold sounds better over discord. However I did a windows voice recording with the 7p and 7x and they sounded clear and very good. So not sure why that wouldn't be the case over discord or console. You can also do live mic monitoring in the Engine app on PC and it sounds fine there too.

I dunno. Maybe your true robotic voice is being heard by your friends for the first time. 🤣

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I know Astro is developing an adapter that will make their existing A50s work with new consoles, but have they ever put forth a timeline when they might introduce a ground-up next-gen model?

I'd love if they could somehow maneuver through the tricky licensing issues to make it a universally/multi-console headset. My previous A50s were among my favorite in terms of mic quality, battery life, wireless quality, comfort, etc and they were worth the money BUT I was a multi-console user and it was frustrating as fuck having to physically disconnect and reconnect it to my consoles every time I wanted to play on a different console. Like, that's the one thing where they fall insanely short. I wish licensing didn't create this premium headset reality. I can't remember exactly which year I bought them but I got the Xbox One model of the year I purchased them -- The Division was one of the first games I can recall using them constantly for. I got the Xbox One edition mostly because it came with the chat adapter for Xbox, and because I preferred the color scheme (it was white with lime green accents).

Regardless, I have found that just plugging into the controller with 3.5mm is the most convenient route for me as a multi-console user with limited space. I've just been using my Sony XM3s lately, where the noise cancelling has done a good job dealing with my extremely loud air conditioner/heater in my apartment -- it's like 3x louder than my old PS4 Pro with its fans kicking, so the noise cancelling is a godsend.

I work night shift and generally maintain my sleep schedule on my days off, so headphones/headsets are a regular part of how I play games since I live with my partner and in a pretty small apartment with neighbors. I really wish I could go back to using something like the A50s since they handled almost all of my gaming needs really nicely in one package, aside from having to constantly physically swap the cables between consoles. :(

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My sons friends told him he sounds different on the 7P too. They reckon his Gold sounds better over discord. However I did a windows voice recording with the 7p and 7x and they sounded clear and very good. So not sure why that wouldn't be the case over discord or console. You can also do live mic monitoring in the Engine app on PC and it sounds fine there too.

I dunno. Maybe your true robotic voice is being heard by your friends for the first time. 🤣

Ha! It's near a router and there's a shitton of wireless, but the sound coming in sounds clear, so I'm really not sure. It is an echoey room, so maybe the compression on the wireless signal then what the PS4 makes it bad and the HyperX mic is doing more to aliviate that over wired USB. It was the same problem with the PS4 Platinum headset, apparently I sounded like shit on that and again, not on the HyperX's. One day I will be able to get rid of wires without friends complaining!!

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already have a arctic 7 for my PC. Anyone have experience switching between transmitters? Would rather do that than buy a whole new one.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Guys, can I simply use my Airpods on Series X considering it supports bluetooth?

I will say as a side note, as someone that has bought into a losing battle with Bluetooth transmitters (for receivers), etc - unless you can do something that is AptX compatible - not even LL or HD necessarily, just something that isn't SBC (standard) or AAC (Apple), it is not going to be something you enjoy. If you can't pair a transmitter with a pair of AptX headphones the latency is quite extreme.

I've also tried AirPods Pro on a few Switch transmitters and was not satisfied. I bought a junk pair of cheap Bluetooth earbuds (behind the ear style) that were AptX compatible and they are significantly better for play on the Switch than the AirPods Pro : / APP are great for music tho, I use them all day, everyday at work

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Went ahead and ordered the Penrose X, hopefully it works on PS5 too but if not then I'll just cop a Pulse 3D headset when it's available if they can't work out a multiplat solution.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
The Arctis 7P will be my first glimpse into the world of higher-ended headsets. I've only ever worn <$50 sets. Pretty excited!

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Glad I could help, if you manage to get a headset post some impressions.
So I finally got my headset yesterday! They're actually pretty dam nice! They are extremely comfortable which is a HUGE plus for me. The sound quality is good as well. I'm coming from some wired Sennheisers that I've been using for a while. Sennheisers had a little more clarity for voices in games, but I hear all other sounds a LOT better in games with these 7x's. You can still hear the voices just fine, but that's the only thing I noticed right away. Again tho, the sound is very very good and I hear other ambient and random noises like footsteps and stuff a LOT clearer. My mic works well, even tho it's a little sensitive. I was in a Party Chat and everyone said I sounded fine and they could hear me clearly. I like having the Game/Party chat volume controls on the headset, it helps a lot. The only thing weird is when I plugged them into my xbox, I had to switch it from Xbox to USB, back to Xbox on the USB dongle for the Xbox to pick up the headset. For some reason, my Xbox doesn't recognize them right away when I just turn it on. Could be cuz I'm in the preview program, or maybe there's a software update that I don't know about. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong, lol. Overall, I'm extremely impressed with them and am very happy with my purchase. Haven't gotten to use them on anything else, but I mainly got them for Xbox and my PS5 that will be coming. Only games I've played with them so far were Watch Dogs: Legion and Little Hope (Dark Pictures Anthology). Figured a good open world game would be good to hear a bunch of sounds, and a horror game would be good for voices and bass and ambient sounds. I would for sure recommend them to anyone that wants some wireless headphones for Xbox and Playstation. Any questions, and I'll try to answer them if I can. :D