• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about upgrading my headset for next gen consoles and would like something that works with both PS5 and Xbox Series X. Needs to be both wireless and have a microphone. Anything new that fits the bill?

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I preordered the Steelseries Arctis 1 Wireless 10min ago.
Got it with Amazon Prime for about 83€

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The Steelseries Arctis 7X should do the trick. Supports Xbox Audio and also works with the PS5. I'm considering buying it instead of the Pulse 3D headset.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
The Steelseries Arctis 7X should do the trick. Supports Xbox Audio and also works with the PS5. I'm considering buying it instead of the Pulse 3D headset.
This has been recommended to me too OP - I will be picking it up soon.

10% off if you get from the SS store and sign up to the newsletter.

Is that the top model? It definitely works with both ?
Yes, but the 7P doesn't - so don't get that one.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you want the 3D sound from games on PS5 I think you want too use a headset with USB dongle or a cord too the controller.
Something too think about

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
The SteelSeries 7x seems like the front runner for a multi system headset at least in the early days. Just be careful as I think you need the 2020 version not 2019. I've found it really hard to order the right one outside of the SteelSeries website.

I haven't used it yet but its had a lot of positive reception in the last week or so

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
LucidSound LS35X for Xbox (and PC)
They're amazing overall (especially with the latest firmware upgrade), and you can find them for only 99$/€ on Amazon.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any stereo headset will work.
Sure if it's connected in this way.
"On the PS5, you'll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller's 3.5mm headset jack."
Ive seen people here saying that the headphones they have won't work because they have a DAC etc.

OP
OP
Sutton Dagger

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Steelseries arctis 7x seems to be the frontrunner. Anyone actually own one and can comment on the build quality and audio quality?

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
So the regular steel series arctis 7 definitely works with PS5?
I thought Sony hadn't put out a list yet.

Steelseries arctis 7x seems to be the frontrunner. Anyone actually own one and can comment on the build quality and audio quality?

I've had a pair just over a year or so.
Build quality is very good and doesn't feel cheap and is comfortable without any heat build up in the ear cups.

I'm not an audio guy but the sound quality sounds better than my platinum/gold PS4 headsets (which both fell apart years ago)
They also have more than decent battery life.

Highly recommend.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't got the 7 but I have the Arctis 1 wireless and it's fantastic, holds a charge for days and works on everything, xbox, playstation, switch, pc. Sounds great! Whatever one you get , make sure it specifically says xbox on it, so that it has the xbox signal on it as well. Easy to get tripped up on that.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
It's weird that the new 7x has USB-C dongle yet is designed specifically for a console that doesn't have USB-C.

I'm tempted with the 7x so that I can swap it between PS5 and 7x when I game quietly whilst the wife is asleep. But it's going to look less tidy having the dongle hanging from the front of either console by a cable.

Someone here probably knows of a very short converter A to C converter that could be plugged into the front of the series X no doubt? I guess this would work?

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to go for the 7x after reading the comments on here, definitely need something that works on both and this seems to do the trick. Hope it's still lossless on PS5.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Like in the settings of TLOU 2, it was only 2.0 because PS4 wasn't supporting the surround sound of the headset. But, with the Gold one I was able to play at 5.1 I believe.
Interesting, this is the concern for me as a lot of places suggest turning VSS off I do find it helps.. Will be fascinated to hear how 3d audio does on other headphones.

Last edited:

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
It's weird that the new 7x has USB-C dongle yet is designed specifically for a console that doesn't have USB-C.

I'm tempted with the 7x so that I can swap it between PS5 and 7x when I game quietly whilst the wife is asleep. But it's going to look less tidy having the dongle hanging from the front of either console by a cable.

Someone here probably knows of a very short converter A to C converter that could be plugged into the front of the series X no doubt? I guess this would work?

The 7x comes with one, if you look at the "package content" bit on their product page it lists "USB-C to USB-A adapter"
steelseries.com

Arctis 7X Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox

The SteelSeries Arctis 7X wireless gaming headset for Xbox is designed for Xbox Series X|S with backwards compatibility for Xbox One and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I also have an older version of the Arctis SteelSeries 7. It's a great headset but I had a looooooot of trouble initially with the software and being unable to tell if the damn thing is charging or not. It was infuriating. Not anymore with a few patches though. Sound quality and battery life is great, it's compatible among various devices and it's comfy to wear even for hours.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
I just posted in the 3d audio thread but if usb headphones on ps5 support 3d audio is there any reason why they wouldn't support surround sound generally? Previously only Sony usb headsets were able to use surround sound via USB.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sticking with my Platinum headset for the PS5, unless reviews say the new headset is a major upgrade

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
The 7x comes with one, if you look at the "package content" bit on their product page it lists "USB-C to USB-A adapter"
steelseries.com

Arctis 7X Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox

The SteelSeries Arctis 7X wireless gaming headset for Xbox is designed for Xbox Series X|S with backwards compatibility for Xbox One and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

It comes with a cable not a wee adaptor. Cable appears to be 1m long, so not the nicest thing to have hanging out of the console if it's sitting in the family lounge. The wee adapter I'm looking at would simply convert the USB-A port on the front of the console to a USB-C port and stick out a tiny bit. No cable mess. That said, it looks like the USB-C dongle wouldn't connect to that front port (converted with the wee mini adaptor) anyway because it's too close to the base of the console, so rules that out. I guess I can run a cable from the back of the console to the shelf unit underneath and fling the dongle onto that, then remove from there and connect to the front of the PS5DE as required. Less elegant, but not too untidy.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope Steelseries releases something to allow existing Pros to work better with next gen consoles :-/

I love my Pro Wireless but I don't want to have to use optical from my TV to use it on the Series X...

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I bought a Steelseries Arctis 1 Xbox Version, and it comes with a usb-c dongle, but also an adapter too for wireless Playstation or PC use. Sounds great too.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
My Arctis 7x arrived today. Tested with my sons PS4 Pro and they worked fine once I remembered there was a wee toggle switch on the dongle. Should be fine for my upcoming PS5 and XsX. They are by no means audiophile grade, but as cheap wireless gaming headsets go, they are fine.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
I also just received a pair of 7x. Tested on my Xbox One, laptop and phone. I agree they aren't audiophile grade but they've got some really good clarity. I noticed some background noises that I hadn't picked up at all from the pretty decent Sony buds I was using before.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
The SteelSeries 7x seems like the front runner for a multi system headset at least in the early days. Just be careful as I think you need the 2020 version not 2019. I've found it really hard to order the right one outside of the SteelSeries website.

I haven't used it yet but its had a lot of positive reception in the last week or so
The Arctis 7x was only announced a week or two ago, so I don't know if many retailers have stocked it yet. I bought mine directly from SteelSeries and got it last week. So far I've only used it with the Switch but it seems pretty good.

I don't know if it will sound as good as my various Sennheiser or V-Moda headphones I have, but I wanted a wireless solution and this was the most appealing option as I didn't want to deal with the Astro A50 and multiple docks.

C.R.E.A.M.

Banned
Sep 21, 2020
Sure if it's connected in this way.
"On the PS5, you'll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller's 3.5mm headset jack."
Ive seen people here saying that the headphones they have won't work because they have a DAC etc.

I don't understand, a DAC has a usb connection, why wouldn't it work?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I just posted in the 3d audio thread but if usb headphones on ps5 support 3d audio is there any reason why they wouldn't support surround sound generally? Previously only Sony usb headsets were able to use surround sound via USB.

Was wondering this too. What happens when watching surround sound movies. Will it just be stereo?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't this need an extra dongle to be purchased separately though? It seems like those dongles aren't for sale yet or just out of stock.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Doesn't this need an extra dongle to be purchased separately though? It seems like those dongles aren't for sale yet or just out of stock.
The 7X comes with a USB dongle that has a switch on it for Xbox compatibility. So it either works in Xbox mode or everything else (PlayStation, Switch, Android, PC).

You would just need to plug the dongle into the system you want to use it on with the switch on the correct setting. The 7P only comes with the dongle that does not have Xbox compatibility, but as far as I'm aware they are the same price so unless you really want the White/Blue colours instead of Black/Green then you should get the 7X between the two.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I've had two wireless Turtle Beach ones eventually break down (and I had the Elite 800).

So I'm basically down to wired only at this point. As long as it has a detachable cord, I think it's fine.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
The 7x comes with a USB dongle that has a switch on it for Xbox compatibility. So it either works in Xbox mode or everything else (PlayStation, Switch, Android, PC).

You would just need to plug the dongle into the system you want to use it on with the switch on the correct setting.

Yes, but in order to use it on both systems without having to constantly unplug and plug it into a system, you would need a second dongle. Some of the options I've seen don't even seem to have the option to have multiple dongles. I would think the ideal situation for someone who has both systems is that it would always be plugged into both and you would just toggle it on the headset which this at least fits that criteria but would still need the purchase of an extra dongle that doesn't seem available yet.

Edit: I just read you can only pair to one dongle at a time so the Arctis 7X is a deal breaker for me. Is there any wireless headset that lets you have multiple dongles at the same time?

Last edited:

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Oh, man. I have a pair of Arctis 7's and really like them. Only thing is they don't work wireless on Xbox. I might have to upgrade the 7x if it works wireless for Xbox, Playstation, and Switch (and both in docked and handheld). Website is showing me a "Notify Me" button for them though...

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
The Corsair Virtuoso is, by far, the best sounding, most comfy, durable gaming headset ever made. They are just fantastic.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Edit: I just read you can only pair to one dongle at a time so the Arctis 7X is a deal breaker for me. Is there any wireless headset that lets you have multiple dongles at the same time?

Is the challenge that your systems are inaccessible or not easy to get to... or is it the hassle of moving it around?

I have the Arctis 1 Wireless and was concerned it would be annoying, but it's really not - just have to flick the toggle for Xbox or USB to make sure it's working. 1 second to swap - it just ends up sticking out from the system.

I ended up getting a small USBA to C converter to avoid the long cable hanging down. I also wonder if you could set up a USB switch and use across multiple devices with just clicking a button to move between USB ports.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Is the challenge that your systems are inaccessible or not easy to get to... or is it the hassle of moving it around?

Yes to both. I simply want a headset where I can just toggle the headset to select which system I'm using. I actively go between multiple systems so even if it wasn't the fact that they're inaccessible, it would still be a hassle.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Thanks for this thread. I guess we also need to wait for PS5 to come out to find out which wireless headphones work in VSS and not just stereo, aside from the official one.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Yes to both. I simply want a headset where I can just toggle the headset to select which system I'm using. I actively go between multiple systems so even if it wasn't the fact that they're inaccessible, it would still be a hassle.

I think you'll have to wait a bit longer until the next generation of headsets.

I used to have Astro A50 Gen 1, so universal compatibility was pretty much essential to me, and it's been a while since there was a universal solution - this new dongle is the closest I've seen, but there's two things that will annoy you - moving the dongle, and flipping the switch. Two small actions, but if systems are inaccessible, then it's definitely a deal breaker.

I'm hoping we'll see a universal DAC situation again... and I think Steel Series will update their Pro headset to be that... but we're probably a bit off.

The dongle solution is pretty good (if a bit ugly) to make it work with Xbox. Xbox is the biggest holdout in this, and because of their audio proprietary BS... there just hasn't been a straight forward solution.

I feel for you - I do... it's been a headache for a while for me trying to figure out how to make it all work out. Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox was my stop gap... $100, and then i'll wait for whatever comes next.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, but in order to use it on both systems without having to constantly unplug and plug it into a system, you would need a second dongle. Some of the options I've seen don't even seem to have the option to have multiple dongles. I would think the ideal situation for someone who has both systems is that it would always be plugged into both and you would just toggle it on the headset which this at least fits that criteria but would still need the purchase of an extra dongle that doesn't seem available yet.

Yes, you need to plug the dongle into the correct system to use it. I agree it isn't ideal, but to me it seemed like the most reasonable option.

And yes, it can only be paired to one dongle at a time and to re-pair it says you need to do that on PC using their software... so certainly not a convenient thing to do often. Another option, and one I was considering, is to use a wireless headset on one platform and then use it wired to the controller on the other (assuming the headset has a wired option), or to just use wired headsets all together.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand, a DAC has a usb connection, why wouldn't it work?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The purpose of a DAC is super basic, and I think there are a bunch of USB DACs used for consoles? (on some units the USB cable can actually power the whole unit without the need for a mains plug). I definitely can't wait for the floodgates to start opening with regards to what does/doesn't work. I'd like to be able to use my setup without spending too much additional money!