• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.wired.com/review/oculus-quest/

9/10 review score

On the Quest, Oculus' Insight system maps your environment by noticing edges and distinct features, aided by computer vision algorithms, while delivering the passthrough video that makes setup such a breeze. Using Insight, the Quest is able to remember five distinct environments that you've mapped, so when you walk into a room and put the headset on, it automatically reinstates the play space.

The Insight system also monitors the position of the twin hand controllers, which are redesigned versions of the Oculus Touch. The ring of infrared LEDs now passes over the top of your hand, rather than underneath; if you own a Rift, it may feel backward at first, but the grip in the hand is exactly the same. The wide-angle sensors did an admirable job of tracking the controllers, with two minor flubs: one in a room that had sunlight pouring in directly at me, possibly confounding the process, and the other when one controller momentarily "disappeared" during a fast-paced round of Beat Saber (a Guitar Hero–meets-katana game that may be the closest thing to a system-seller VR has enjoyed thus far.)

That two-hour gaming session, my longest, also left me with 34 percent battery remaining, far exceeding with Oculus' estimate of two hours for games, three for watching media. However, you can use the headset while charging, and USB-C's fast charging means you could connect the headset to a battery pack in your pocket for marathon sessions.

Oculus has said that the Quest will launch with more 50 games and apps, a mix of new titles and those that previously appeared on the Rift or elsewhere. Of new titles that I had a chance to play extensively, Zelda-style adventure Journey of the Gods and duck-and-dodge wave shooter Space Pirate Trainer were standouts, but even previously available titles feel new on the Quest—especially kinetic titles like Beat Saber and Superhot VR. This is a headset that makes everything somehow feel free. There's no more low-level worry that the cable is getting tangled around your legs, and no more USB port crapping out for no reason. Just VR.

This is a game console, and at $399 it's priced like one. But it's also a lot of other things. That's the joy of virtual reality: it can help you spend time alone, or it can bring you together with others. And by making the experience of VR much more like the concept of VR—something that's liberating both inside and outside of the headset—the Quest delivers something more than just a journey. It delivers a treasure.

Last edited:

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting rid of the wires is a great first step, but these systems are still far too heavy/clunky for maximum enjoyment and extended sessions.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Damn the Quest is a tempting prospect. My one fear keeping me from jumping on it right now is not knowing if Beat Sabre will ever support custom songs.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
No wires and no add-ones needed for tracking is a game-changer after my time with PS VR (and it's tracking issues).

Tempted to get one or wait for version 2 with better internals.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Damn the Quest is a tempting prospect. My one fear keeping me from jumping on it right now is not knowing if Beat Sabre will ever support custom songs.

It supports sideloading and it sounds like they arent going overboard in locking the system down

But we will have to see just how true that is with the full release

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah, I'm not sure if Oculus are surprised that the Quest has been outselling the S, but even though I have the PC to support the S I'm buying the Quest (because wireless, and low friction set up) and I've heard a lot of people saying the same thing.

So I'm not surprised given that this has the tracking and setup right, that the weak internals aren't really putting many people off.

Fedele

Oct 28, 2017
Whenever I'm ready to pull the trigger on VR, I think "hmm but I might just wait for the next iteration of model XYZ, it will be better for sure". And, of course, you could say this applies to pretty much everything - but VR technology is still moving fast.

I thought I wouldn't get this feeling now, but I I am. Might wait for Quest 2.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Never even occured to me that these devices could simply (although it's probably horribly complicated!) use onboard sensors to map the room so the headset can track where it's looking. Seems such an obvious solution now someone's done it!

That's the main problem for me. As my PS4 is in our dining room space is really limited so you end up close to the screen, which I imagine isn't great for camera tracking. It'd be great to see Sony do something similar for PS5/PSVR2. Even if they can get it down to one USB3 running straight from the system to the headset that'd be a big improvement

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
No wires is great...but I'd also like the option of an HDMI input so I could connect things like a 3D Blu ray player/ Nintendo Switch.

Stick that in the next version and I'll buy it.

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
I'm still not convinced by the games. Quest seems like very good hardware, but the fact that it's a little bit underpowered for my tastes makes probably the bigger games impossible to port or needing to be heavily downgraded.
Dream scenario would be a wireless PSVR in terms of performance, including Sony's line-up. Quest could develop into something similar if it sells well, for now, even if I like it, I don't think I want to invest 450€ into playing games already seen elsewhere and knowing that the bigger ones won't probably come to the platform.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
If anyone is on the fence, you may want to wait until after launch because Oculus will probably do a referral system that will likely offer like 10% off.

Even though I am all in VR in general, the Quest is the headset I am the most excited for. I loved using it for fitness with games like Creed or BoxVR, but I didn't use it as often because it required me to sit in my living room. I see myself using the Quest much more than the Rift S because right now many games lend themselves to that pick up and play a couple rounds style.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Quest sounds great, removing the wires is awesome. But I'm just not convinced the power is there behind the hood for futureproofing + the limited library of devs which decide to port to it.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question. What is the tab at the bottom that can be seen on one of the photos? is it an ipd adjustment?

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Go a few months ago as an impulse purchase and love it. And I'm still going to get this as soon as I can. It sounds like such a great upgrade.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Hoping to find out soon if we're able to use custom Beat Saber songs on this beast and then I'm ready to dive in. Hoping to lose a heap of weight with an anytime Beat Saber device!

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Without knowing what the software library will look like, I won't be buying but it certainly looks like an impressive piece of tech!

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how well room scale play is going to work. It sounds like Valve Index should be doing whatever this is doing instead of those horribly expensive lighthouses. Makes the Index look like poor value.

Oct 25, 2017
The future of VR is wireless. This seems like the great first step in that direction. I'll hopefully pick one up when it's a bit cheaper.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Getting rid of the wires is a great first step, but these systems are still far too heavy/clunky for maximum enjoyment and extended sessions.

I never really felt like VR was or will be intended for extended sessions. For the majority of people, extended sessions = terrible experience (and it has almost nothing to do with the bulk of the headsets). It just takes a toll on your physical sensations and the adjustment into and out of VR is just...well, pretty uncomfortable if you play too long.

I think VR is best served being bite sized experiences enjoyable in shorter bursts. This is why stuff like Astro Bot, Beat Saber, SuperHot, etc, all work well. Because the levels are short enough that you're not stuck playing for long extended periods of time.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Quest sounds great, removing the wires is awesome. But I'm just not convinced the power is there behind the hood for futureproofing + the limited library of devs which decide to port to it.

This will have tons of devs flocking to it. Facebook targets selling millions of these, and it'll end up being a much bigger market than the likes of the Vive or Rift.

Power wise, I too wish it were more powerful, but what's there is decent enough.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
It's too bad they don't have an option to plug this into a pc for more GPU. I'd be more comfortable buying this if I knew it was future proofed to some level.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure if Oculus are surprised that the Quest has been outselling the S, but even though I have the PC to support the S I'm buying the Quest (because wireless, and low friction set up) and I've heard a lot of people saying the same thing.

So I'm not surprised given that this has the tracking and setup right, that the weak internals aren't really putting many people off.

I'd be surprised if they're surprised. It seems like this is their focus (as evidenced by giving Quest the better hardware inside it).

I agree about the low friction/PC side. I enjoy a lot of seated VR on PC (that's really under-rated), so I reserved the Index HMD (only) to upgrade my Vive. But I can't stand 360 tethered, so I just decided to go with a Quest instead of spending any extra money on the knuckles controllers. For roomscale games that require 360 action, wireless > all other considerations for me.

Honestly, I think almost every game that could technically support it wants to. At this point, it seems like the only limit is Facebook being really strict with approval. A game like Radial-G, which is really good, spent 6 months porting and were denied approval. I think everyone would love to get on this platform if possible.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
really tempted with oculus quest, but with mobile hardware,I assume the game visual is even more downgraded from psvr. so I'm really not sure about it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
After getting a PSVR (V1) and never touching it due to it being a PITA to set up, this is exactly what I wanted. This is a VR headset that I'll actually use due to the convenience and I'm really pleased to see it reviewing well.
I feel like we've had the "this is the VR you've been waiting for" for every VR headset in the past 5 years.
To be fair, this is very different to the others in its execution.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am really tempted by it. But like others, the library stuff is what gives me pause from ordering one. Like, we have no idea if vacation simulator is coming to it right? No idea how well this side loading stuff will work.

Regular Rift was cool as SteamVR opened up for it in the same way ReVive lets Vive users play Oculus games. Would suck to buy a 400 quid device and have a really limited library. I don't even care about slight downgrades in fidelity. But let's say a Lone Echo 2 came out, would it come to the quest? Will you ever be able to play Lone Echo 1 on the quest?

The inside out tracking really appeals to me though and the no wires thing is huge. I've bought and sold both PSVR and Rift in the past because ultimately setting up to have a session with them is too much of a ball ache and the cable is always there to pull me out of the experience.

A totally wireless solution really does appeal to me. Interesting that it comes out at the same time as news of something like the Index, will could help increase immersion in other ways (tracking, screen, fidelity of the controllers). But ultimately I do feel that wireless VR really is the best feature a company can be aiming for.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
How does this compare to the PSVR? My biggest gripe with PSVR is that I'm tethered to my PS4 and I sit really close to the TV and at angle, making most VR games annoying as fuck to play. It seems that the Quest has higher res per eye but not powered enough to hit native res in games?

That being said, I'm wondering how much of a graphical downgrade Quest has, and how well the library will be supported, but I'm definitely interested.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So looking at getting a Rift S, my pc room is small and kinda cramped. Is it even worth it if I have little room or going to play some of the games sitting in front of a pc?

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017

And i am always sceptical when a giant corporation pr machine starts to roll. No wires? Ok cool, but it has limited games, is underpowered, and does nothing the other headsets dont already do, yet suddenly it is a 'treasure'.

Fuck the hyperbole and attempt to stampede people in to consuming. Wait 6 months and see how things lay post hype cycle.