• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, let people buy what they find most convenient and helps them enjoy music to their hearts content :)

This is a silly war and no one is stopping you from using wired headphones.
Yeah both as options is fine the only unfortunate thing is more phones starting to remove the headphone jack.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I use both wired and wireless depending on the function.
The more high end ones that I use for professional purposes are wired.
The cheapo ones I have at home are bluetooth.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Meh I'll never wear wired headphones again on the train. They get pulled so easily when it's crowded.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
These $30 headphones sounds better then your $250 AirPods.

www.koss.com

KPH30i

The Koss KPH30i on-ear headphones provide lightweight, adjustable portability with incredibly spacious sound for on the go use.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah both as options is fine the only unfortunate thing is more phones starting to remove the headphone jack.

Phones were gonna remove the headphone jack no matter what once Apple did it to kickstart an incredibly successful product line in AirPods.

The point stands that you can still use wired headphones on any phone, it's just slightly more inconvenient. But the option still exists and I don't forsee the wired headphone market suddenly drying up any time soon.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i think famous people would use wired more to clearly let people know "i'm listening to stuff i don't want to talk" while honestly airpods sometimes look like earrings

and yeah no doubt wired sound better than wireless but man the convenience of NO WIRES is freaking amazing. Not just walking and stuff where its great, but in the gym its fantastic just placing your phone on something and using the machines or treadmill with no phone in your pockets or hands.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just get a pair of over-ear headphones with a detachable cable. I've had my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro since 2013. I've replaced the leather and cable a couple of times, but it's still the same good ol' headphones.
Heck, I have a pair of Sennheiser 595s from 2006 that I still use regularly. Minimal signs of wear.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

www.koss.com

KPH30i

The Koss KPH30i on-ear headphones provide lightweight, adjustable portability with incredibly spacious sound for on the go use.
Not even the most die hard Apple fan will say the AirPods are the best sounding audio device. You buy them cuz they fit perfectly in the Apple ecosystem. If you want wireless earbuds with the best sound quality it's the Sony WF-1000XM3.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Not even the most die hard Apple fan will say the AirPods are the best sounding audio device. You buy them cuz they fit perfectly in the Apple ecosystem. If you want wireless earbuds with the best sound quality it's the Sony WF-1000XM3.

I have both and the $30 headphones still beats it.

Of course, Koss most of sacrificed 100 firstborns to perform this level of black magic. The WF-1000 is also a god damn godsend for airplane rides.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Bought WH-1000XM3s. The QoL features are nice, but the sound is essentially borked and I have to dick around with EQ to get them to not sound like crap.

I'm totally fine with the wireless train, but I REALLY wish someone would do something about the sound. Thinking about trying the Bower and Wilkins offerings, but that don't seem great either and neither does anything that Sennheiser puts out.

Last edited:

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Look at the picture in the OP. See how she has to hold her phone out in front of her to keep the wires from tangling. She how she has to push the one earbud back in because tugging on the wires is pulling them out of her ears. Fuck all that.

Wires fucking suck. End of story. They are inconvenient garbage.

This. Some airpods ain't breaking the bank. For the daily convenience I'll take them over wires on a crowded subway car.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly after going wireless I can NEVER go back to wired in a public setting (don't mind wires at home, but going wireless in NYC is the best).

Oct 27, 2017
I have both and the $30 headphones still beats it.

Of course, Koss most of sacrificed 100 firstborns to perform this level of black magic. The WF-1000 is also a god damn godsend for airplane rides.

I don't know if it was you who evangelized about the KPH30i with the thread and all but I bought them off Massdrop and they've taken over my HD598s as my most used headphones at home. So much lighter and perfect for watching movies and playing games in bed without a huge sacrifice in sound quality. If only the KSC75s stop losing sound in one channel, I'd be set!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People's defensiveness about wireless headphones will never cease to amaze me.

"I never failed for that silly GIMMICK, enjoy replacing your airpods after 2 months when the battery is DEAD you simple rube, my wired headphones will accompany me to my GRAVE!"

I get it, owning AirPods makes me a wasteful idiot and their ease of use is 100% outweighed by the fact that they cost $160 and will eventually need to be replaced. You don't have to point this out in every single thread that is made about headphones. (Though I know you will so this is a pointless plea)
I just want good audio quality. Simple as that.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i don't think I've ever seen a fellow audiophile consistently rocking audiophile classified headphones with a phone for anything other than maybe a long commute. And even then it's an iffy because audiophile headphones usually are attached to dac and amp.

and also audiophiles are probably the same people who buy AirPods cause we already spent $500 on monitors, what's another 160?
Can confirm. I've spent hundreds and hundreds and hundreds on headphones and a good at home setup and it's great for that. There are great wired IEMs out there, but when I'm on the move I've got some Sony WF-1000XM3s and they get the job done. Battery lasts a long time, quick to pair and sound fine enough.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018

www.koss.com

KPH30i

The problem is, during the situations that I'm using Airpods, I'd prefer them 99/100 times vs. the Koss headphones. I don't use Airpods because they're the best sounding, I use them because they're a tool that is excellently suited for the circumstances in which I use them.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
First: who?

Second: celebrities also "brought back" feature phones, appearing on red carpets clutching flip phones and the like. How many people do you know who bought a flip phone in response, and what is your general take on their trendiness as a result?

Third: if your whole thing is "holy shit wired headphones are cool again" at least make them, like, good headphones. Tell me when a supermodel is rocking Koss PortaPros and I'll start listening then. Until then you kids can get the fuck off my lawn!

(this entire post is only half-serious, you do you Bella)

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I expect some reasoning as to why she was wearing wired headphones, I appreciate the model pic though OP.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Correct. Audio quality for most people is binary: good enough or not?

AirPods have good enough audio quality for most people... and the convenience of having no wires is hard to convey if you haven't tried it for extended periods of time. Going to the gym with wireless headphones is a godsend.

Also got AirPods Pro for Christmas, and they are even better than the OG AirPods. You can hardly feel them, it's like someone's just beaming audio to your ears.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Poor People: The Thread

Wired and wireless headphones are entirely different use cases. Both can be cheap or expensive. Do all of you people only have one pair of shoes for every possible use case?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Correct. Audio quality for most people is binary: good enough or not?

AirPods have good enough audio quality for most people... and the convenience of having no wires is hard to convey if you haven't tried it for extended periods of time. Going to the gym with wireless headphones is a godsend.

Also got AirPods Pro for Christmas, and they are even better than the OG AirPods. You can hardly feel them, it's like someone's just beaming audio to your ears.
I need to try those but I have very small ear canals and the airpod shape is perfect for that. Maybe they will release Airpods 3 in the old (non penetrating) shape.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wireless earbuds were stupid to treat as the default to begin with.

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
God this place is insufferable at times, brag threads, elitism, look at my setup, look at my haul, stealth brag after stealth brag.

"Looking down on the poor."

Jesus.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I bought a pair of wireless a few years ago. Within a week I'd forgotten to charge them and had to pick up some cheap wired ones on the way into work. Charge and repeat twice and I just said fuck it. Whatever is on sale at CVS works for me.

I do have some Trex I love for running though. Having nothing in your ear to fall out is amazing.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note that she has not one single ceramic cable insulation stand. So I guess she's listening to DIARRHEA

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Bought WH-1000XM3s. The QoL features are nice, but the sound is essentially borked and I have to dick around with EQ to get them to not sound like crap.

I'm totally fine with the wireless train, but I REALLY wish someone would do something about the sound. Thinking about trying the Bower and Wilkins offerings, but that don't seem great either and neither does anything that Sennheiser puts out.
I always thought the sound on the WH-1000XM3s was fine. However, there are instances where the noice cancellation could be better.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the sound on the WH-1000XM3s was fine. However, there are instances where the noice cancellation could be better.

The lower frequencies are essentially a muddy mess and the instrument separation is just awful. I get that not everyone will care, but having been a heavy hd-25 user this shit is obvious on first listen. I'm not THAT insanely picky, but it sounds like a POS Bose out the box.

Sony's headphone application actually help with this a lot, basically EQing down 16k and dropping the clear bass nonsense. But it's still a pain in my MacBook.

It's just extra annoying because it's been a solved problem for decades.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good opportunity to plug the existence of Bluetooth adapters for wired headphones.
Bluetooth adapters are great. I can use my IEMs anywhere, wired or wirelessly. Dead battery, no problem just unplug the adapter and plug the headphones in directly.
Total cost of wired headphone + adapter is likely competitive with the cost of a wireless headphone. With the higher-end adapters, they'll potentially be better-sounding, too.
71r4EuAA8ML._SL1500_.jpg

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
The lower frequencies are essentially a muddy mess and the instrument separation is just awful. I get that not everyone will care, but having been a heavy hd-25 user this shit is obvious on first listen. I'm not THAT insanely picky, but it sounds like a POS Bose out the box.

Sony's headphone application actually help with this a lot, basically EQing down 16k and dropping the clear bass nonsense. But it's still a pain in my MacBook.

It's just extra annoying because it's been a solved problem for decades.
I can sorta see what you mean. I never used their app on my phone, since it just seemed useless.

What's been solved for decades?

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I use wireless headphones 95% of the time but no headphone jack is still a dealbreaker. It's stupid to take that choice out.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I can sorta see what you mean. I never used their app on my phone, since it just seemed useless.

What's been solved for decades?

Yeah the app is surprisingly helpful imo.

Solved = Good instrument separation, good sound signature without noticeable distortion on any spectrum, etc.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I would be more receptive to wireless buds if they were designed for repairability. E-waste is an already giant environmental problem and I abhor the idea of chucking them in 18 months because the batteries won't hold a charge.