• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
My best friend just went to the dark-side. Bought expensive wireless noise canceling headphones.
I guess it was fun until it lasted. He was my friend for 35 years. Shame it had to end this way.

Last edited:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Rock those ancient machinations by tapping into your Neanderthal ancestors as you unsheathe those wired headphones out of your bag. Unfurl those twisted wires! Just like ropes as you summon your inner pirate whom once arose high up on the masthead, and guided the ship through the shores of Gibraltar.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic that while headphone jacks are disappearing from flagship smartphones, the high-end DAP market has been having sort of a resurgence lol
People who actually care for sound quality have other avenues and there's always companies willing to fill a niche.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic that while headphone jacks are disappearing from flagship smartphones, the high-end DAP market has been having sort of a resurgence lol
People who actually care for sound quality have other avenues and there's always companies willing to fill a niche.
The apple dongle or some other usb-c ones for android phones have actually measured pretty well as DACs for something like IEMs as well.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
People's defensiveness about wireless headphones will never cease to amaze me.

"I never failed for that silly GIMMICK, enjoy replacing your airpods after 2 months when the battery is DEAD you simple rube, my wired headphones will accompany me to my GRAVE!"

I get it, owning AirPods makes me a wasteful idiot and their ease of use is 100% outweighed by the fact that they cost $160 and will eventually need to be replaced. You don't have to point this out in every single thread that is made about headphones. (Though I know you will so this is a pointless plea)
I'm more annoyed at some thinking Apple is the only one in the wireless business.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I bought a pair in 2012 and they broke so fast, I'm still using them in 2019.... And guess what? They will still outlast any single battery equiped wireless. If anything, it's the true wireless that break yoo fast.

2 years is a joke.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
They never left though? Even if I had disposable income coming out of every orifice I have, I would still buy a budget 200-300€ cellphone that has a jack than a 1000€ piece of fashion that doesn't have one, or many other feature for that matter. I still treat my phone like a proper MP3 and nothing is gonna change that. 3 or 4 micro SDs filled with music, wired headphones, Neutron Music Player, and you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands before giving me a wireless phone with cloud storage.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I bought a pair in 2012 and they broke so fast, I'm still using them in 2019.... And guess what? They will still outlast any single battery equiped wireless. If anything, it's the true wireless that break yoo fast.

2 years is a joke.
Y'all got better luck than me. I can't rely on them anymore.

Annoyinmous

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I've started using wireless earbuds (airpods pro) for the first time ever this month and I will NEVER go back to wired.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Oh please. I've been against wireless since before it was cool. Which is why QC25s are the best earphones.

Wired > Wireless
Single AAA battery > non-removeable rechargeable battery

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Look at the picture in the OP. See how she has to hold her phone out in front of her to keep the wires from tangling. She how she has to push the one earbud back in because tugging on the wires is pulling them out of her ears. Fuck all that.

Wires fucking suck. End of story. They are inconvenient garbage.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the picture in the OP. See how she has to hold her phone out in front of her to keep the wires from tangling. She how she has to push the one earbud back in because tugging on the wires is pulling them out of her ears. Fuck all that.

Wires fucking suck. End of story. They are inconvenient garbage.
Over consume to own the planet...

You know what's more inconvenient? Having to change your pair of headphones every 2 years (or even less if you use it more) because you can't change the battery.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Over consume to own the planet...

You know what's more inconvenient? Having to change your pair of headphones every 2 years (or even less if you use it more) because you can't change the battery.

That's not inconvenient to me at all. It's the difference between never using earbuds because they suck and using them constantly. I love having easy to use wireless earbuds in my pocket at all times. I will gladly pay to replace them when the time comes.

The environmental impact is the only good argument anyone can make and I do hear that. I hope they can figure out how to make them more recyclable in the future.

Any other argument is invalid to me because I hate wires with the intensity of a thousand white hot suns.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a side note to people complaining about wired headphones breaking easily, you do know that there are models with replaceable cables right?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through these wired versus wireless headphones battle threads makes me understand exactly the stakes of the civil war and other conflicts about important things.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly are you doing with them? I've been using a pair of B&O wired buds since 2014. Just jam them in my bag all the time. Have never run into a wear and tear issue.
No matter how much I'm careful with them one of the earbuds always stops working within months. It could be that the quality of the wires on $10 - $40 earbuds have gone down. So I decided to switch to wireless, and I'm still paying around the same price.

Last edited:

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'll just hijack this thread for an actual question on the matter... Hoping Sony announces them at CES in January, I was planning to buy XM4s for my daily commute as well as home listening device.

Is the battery really an issue on wireless headsets? Is there no way to replace them if they in fact break some day?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
People's defensiveness about wireless headphones will never cease to amaze me.

"I never failed for that silly GIMMICK, enjoy replacing your airpods after 2 months when the battery is DEAD you simple rube, my wired headphones will accompany me to my GRAVE!"

I get it, owning AirPods makes me a wasteful idiot and their ease of use is 100% outweighed by the fact that they cost $160 and will eventually need to be replaced. You don't have to point this out in every single thread that is made about headphones. (Though I know you will so this is a pointless plea)

YOU GODDAMN WASTEFUL CAPITALIST SWINE.

Really though, the price of AirPods is utterly laughable to me, and I'd be too scared of losing them. Prefer paying $15 and putting up with some tangled wires annoyance now and then.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
You can't say something is back when it literally never left. I still use wired headphones. They came with my 2018 phone. And it's not just me being a crotchety old man-- I work in a school and a lot of the kids still have them too.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've bought plenty of Sony's that were over $20.

imo $50 is about the sweets spot for wired earbuds, they tend to be more durable with better sound.

You can't say something is back when it literally never left. I still use wired headphones. They came with my 2018 phone. And it's not just me being a crotchety old man-- I work in a school and a lot of the kids still have them too.

Let me know how things are after school comes back from Christmas break. Assuming you mean teenagers and not small children.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
That's not inconvenient to me at all. It's the difference between never using earbuds because they suck and using them constantly. I love having easy to use wireless earbuds in my pocket at all times. I will gladly pay to replace them when the time comes.

The environmental impact is the only good argument anyone can make and I do hear that. I hope they can figure out how to make them more recyclable in the future.

Any other argument is invalid to me because I hate wires with the intensity of a thousand white hot suns.
Hahahahaha, it's just wires, man.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just get a pair of over-ear headphones with a detachable cable. I've had my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro since 2013. I've replaced the leather and cable a couple of times, but it's still the same good ol' headphones.

Deleted member 4292

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who? Why should I care what she does? Are we not our own individuals and should we not do whatever the hell we want instead of following what others do?

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Alternatively, let people buy what they find most convenient and helps them enjoy music to their hearts content :)

This is a silly war and no one is stopping you from using wired headphones.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
I usually use wired for traveling as I don't want another device that requires keeping the battery level up, especially on a plane. But working out in the gym I can't imagine not having wireless ear buds.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather untangle a cord from headphones any day than hear the "low battery" warning from my stupid wireless earbuds. Just tell me once and don't tell me that every 15 seconds until they die jeez.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I replaced my "lightning adapter to audio cable into audio jack" in my car with a Bluetooth receiver connected to the audio jack. The improvement in sound quality switching to that lightning jack headphone adapter to Bluetooth has been remarkable.

That leads me to believe Apple's DAC in the lightning connector is absolute dog shit. So wired headphones on the iPhone is actually inferior to using Bluetooth I've found.