• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
yeah if the first time elon tried to take a shit on someone, he got buried in a shitpile of his own, he probably wouldn't be the successful asshole that he is today.

we need to stop coddling assholes who can produce, because no matter what they can't produce on their own.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sorry if this was known about already but
In May, Musk announced the company's latest earnings in a conference call. He made no effort at civility and no one held him back. When a Wall Street analyst asked Tesla's chief financial officer about capital expenditures, Musk responded: "Boring. Bonehead questions are not cool. Next?" With the next question, he erupted again. "These questions are so dry. They're killing me!" and called upon a YouTube video blogger with an enormous enthusiasm for Tesla to ask questions for the next 20 minutes. (The company's stock price dropped more than 5 percent after the call.)
What the fuck?

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has actually worked in car manufacturing, on a production line, nothing in the OP is out of the ordinary.

Where the issue is that normally, the line managers would stand up to the CEO and tell him to do one if the engineer was a good one. If not the line manager, a quick call to the union rep and the situation would be diffused.

At the very least he could of simply been transferred out of musk's way.

Pretty much anyone with that level of power and responsibility in a company as big as Tesla has asshole moments, you are insanely naive to think differently. Musk is just such an unstable individual that his public face and corporate face have started to merge. That and the fact he is an unshamed narcissist that has cultivated a cult of personality that he in turn gets off on.

Last edited:

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

They aren't entirely wrong. Elon Musk, more specifically Tesla, have revolutionized one of the most conservative industries, one that needed to change for a sustainable future. To singlehandedly change such a large industry that is the automotive industry is near unprecedented, let alone his ventures with SpaceX.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
This is the third post you've essentially blamed the engineer for being fired by Musk, assuming the story is true. Why do you insist on saying this?

I don't blame the engineer. Musk is bat shit crazy. However, the story presenting the employee as having a helpless santa-is-real naïveté about Musk is a bit too much.

It's not his fault, but I have little sympathy for him. I am sure in believing he understood what he was signing up for.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I don't blame the engineer. Musk is bat shit crazy. However, the story presenting the employee as having a helpless santa-isn't-real naïveté about Musk is a bit too much.

It's not his fault, but I have little sympathy for him. I am sure in believing he understood what he was signing up for.

tldr: I have to tell myself this, otherwise I might have to rethink buying a tesla, and I don't want to, because my material needs are more important than treating workers well.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
[QUOTE="Biggersmaller, post: 15957138, member: 11838"] I don't blame the engineer. Musk is bat shit crazy. However, the story presenting the employee as having a helpless santa-is-real naïveté about Musk is a bit too much.

It's not his fault, but I have little sympathy for him. I am sure in believing he understood what he was signing up for.[/QUOTE]

boy

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Depends on how long he's been working there. Like hell I'd take a job there knowing how it is, I'd sooner work for fucking Amazon. But like even half a decade ago Musk was at least mostly able to get out of his own way.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
tldr: I have to tell myself this, otherwise I might have to rethink buying a tesla, and I don't want to, because my material needs are more important than treating workers well.

I feel people should be very concerned with workers rights. However, if working conditions is truly the primary concern in this thread, Tesla is likely better in that area than the manufacturer of the device we are posting with, the clothing we are wearing, the furniture we are sitting on, and the flooring it all rests upon.

BlueBlaze

Oct 29, 2017
Musk "would say 'I've got to fire someone today,' and I'd say, 'No you don't,' and he'd say, 'No, no, I just do. I've got to fire somebody,' " one former high-ranking executive told me.

What a disgusting person. Seriously, who the heck would decide they need to fire someone just for the hell of it? Kudos to Charles Duhigg for writing this piece and exposing Elon Musk for the turd nugget he truly is.

Last edited:

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel people should be concerned with workers rights. However, if working conditions is the primary concern in this thread, Tesla is likely better in that realm than the manufacturer of the device we are posting with, the clothing we are wearing, the furniture we are sitting on, and the flooring it all rests upon.

And I bet you have little sympathy for them, too.

Yuri_G

Oct 30, 2017
Musk is flawed and notoriously difficult to work for, but his companies have accomplished things no one else has because of what he demands. One thing this article conveniently left out is that he regularly thanks his employees for their accomplishments. For example on the Q3 earnings call.

"This quarter was made possible by the incredible execution of our employees across the board from sales, production, delivery, service, energy, engineering, finance and all of our G&A teams. Really, every part of the business executed incredibly well. I want to thank everyone again for your incredibly hard work. "

https://youtu.be/LTjggW0uXBw?t=185

If the Tesla work environment was exactly as the article portrays no one would work there. Tesla is nearing 50,000 employees from 3,000 in 2012.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Musk is flawed and notoriously difficult to work for, but his companies have accomplished things no one else has because of what he demands. One thing this article conveniently left out is that he regularly thanks his employees for their accomplishments. For example on the Q3 earnings call.

"This quarter was made possible by the incredible execution of our employees across the board from sales, production, delivery, service, energy, engineering, finance and all of our G&A teams. Really, every part of the business executed incredibly well. I want to thank everyone again for your incredibly hard work. "

If the Tesla work environment was exactly as the article portrays no one would work there. Tesla is nearing 50,000 employees from 3,000 in 2012.
Here's a quote from the article:
On July 1—more than two years after opening reservations for the Model 3—Musk finally sent the jubilant email many employees had been waiting for. "I think we just became a real car company," he wrote. Tesla had manufactured 5,031 Model 3 vehicles during a seven-day period. They had hit their goal, six months late, at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars and dozens of executive departures. "What an incredible job by an amazing team," Musk wrote. "Couldn't be more proud to work with you."

Nov 2, 2017

So the thing that makes Elon Musk so incredibly generous is that he can read PR speak that literally any CEO would say in the course of announcing good news?

You've created a bar so low that people can simply walk over without breaking stride. It would only be a challenge to clear that bar if you first dug a 5 foot trench in the Earth around where the bar is.

kansai_mish

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
For what was posted somewhere above - Him giving thanks or praising workers is literally the least he could do. The most basic form of human decency.

I hope the turd sees demons in his sleep.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
They aren't entirely wrong. Elon Musk, more specifically Tesla, have revolutionized one of the most conservative industries, one that needed to change for a sustainable future. To singlehandedly change such a large industry that is the automotive industry is near unprecedented, let alone his ventures with SpaceX.
That's up for debate.

But the previous person that replied to me mentioned where folks were getting the idea why Elon Musk is considered some kind of messiah or hero to the world. I gave that person those linked article and will happily provide more. I figured the poster may have argued disingenuously consider the responses before me.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
That is an extremely well written article, thanks for sharing. Musk has done a lot of good but he is clearly quite the maniac. If Tesla fails one day (and like most companies it likely will - if only after many years) people will line up to gloat. He's kind of called that upon himself.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I feel people should be very concerned with workers rights. However, if working conditions is truly the primary concern in this thread, Tesla is likely better in that area than the manufacturer of the device we are posting with, the clothing we are wearing, the furniture we are sitting on, and the flooring it all rests upon.

If I could afford to buy my stuff from an ethically sourced, fair trade, workers rights supporting business I would. A tesla is a luxury, not a necessity. There are multiple electric cars you could buy, including ones from manufacturers that treat their workers well. You have a choice that I don't, and you choose to support Tesla.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always find the deification of Musk weird, considering that his companies are making electric cars and.. rockets?

Hell it's not like he's curing cancer or HIV permanently. Giving information about Neuralink when you're drunk and high at Joe's podcast isn't enough.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
the build quality is fantastic, as is witnessed in the fact of multiple incidents of crashes happening and people walking away scot-free, i.e. MKBHD as of recent.

Just want to point out that how well a car does in a crash has nothing to do with what build quality means. Build quality is how well a car is assembled, meaning the fit and finish, the materials used, ect. You're talking about how well the car was engineered to be safe in a crash.

Last edited:

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Once I got reprimanded by my boss for stuff that happened before I started working there.

So I kinda know how that engineer feels.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Most rich owners, company leaders, CEOs are cunts. They know money is their leverage and can hide behind that.

I bet Tim Cook is probably a cunt even though his Apple keynotes make him a saint.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I initially admired Musk because he used his billionaire status to try bold new things. Musk deserves every bit of credit for jumpstarting the electric car industry. He wants to send people to Mars. He spends money like a nerd who won the lottery, but an asshole with money is still an asshole.

ANTISOULLESS

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
San Diego
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling, junior member
You are badmouthing somebody possibly on the spectrum, who is also a hard working dude trying to do so many things
Here is what I can recall:
1. Make electric cars awesome and improve the technology enough to make it cheap and efficient.
2. Trying to make internet cheaper and more efficient with satellite internet.
3. Trying to fix traffic in LA and, by consequence, everywhere
4. Make AI good. Make humans live longer. Etc etc etc

He probably doesn't sleep enough and is probably obsessively working so hard that the lack of sleep mixed with the stresss of trying to do too much gets to him some times. And he seems as though he is either has a little autism or asbergers

Like. He isn't perfect. He fucks up. But he's not born rich scum fuck lying Trump eroding our country little by little and letting China enslave hundreds of thousands of Muslims and Buddhists, allowing Yemenese to starve to death, letting corporations have as much power as possible, and locking up thousands of Hispanics for trying to seek asylum.

BUT OH. Elon Musk is a scumbag. Fuck that guy.

I agree. He needs to take a chill pill and be a bit better to people. But he isn't Mao Ze Dong. He isn't even Donald Trump. He is an example of how to have discipline and work hard. But maybe also an example of not working so hard you are stressed out and explode easily.

My advice would be to realize he isn't a robot. To emulate his work ethic and believe in your own enginuity, however slight it may be, and work to get to where he is. But also remember to stay human, sleep enough, eat a good healthy keto diet, and balance how you treat people.

None of it is easy.

Last edited:

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
I don't blame the engineer. Musk is bat shit crazy. However, the story presenting the employee as having a helpless santa-is-real naïveté about Musk is a bit too much.

You are badmouthing somebody possibly on the spectrum, who is also a hard working dude trying to do so many things
Here is what I can recall:
1. Make electric cars awesome and improve the technology enough to make it cheap and efficient.
2. Trying to make internet cheaper and more efficient with satellite internet.
3. Trying to fix traffic in LA and, by consequence, everywhere
4. Make AI good. Make humans live longer. Etc etc etc

He probably doesn't sleep enough and is probably obsessively working so hard that the lack of sleep mixed with the stresss of trying to do too much gets to him some times. And he seems as though he is either has a little autism or asbergers

Like. He isn't perfect. He fucks up. But he's not born rich scum fuck lying Trump eroding our country little by little and letting China enslave hundreds of thousands of Muslims and Buddhists, allowing Yemenese to starve to death, letting corporations have as much power as possible, and locking up thousands of Hispanics for trying to seek asylum.

BUT OH. Elon Musk is a scumbag. Fuck that guy.

I agree. He needs to take a chill pill and be a bit better to people. But he isn't Mao Ze Dong. He isn't even Donald Trump. He is an example of how to have discipline and work hard. But maybe also an example of not working so hard you are stressed out and explode easily.

My advice would be to realize he isn't a robot. To emulate his work ethic and believe in your own enginuity, however slight it may be, and work to get to where he is. But also remember to stay human, sleep enough, eat a good healthy keto diet, and balance how you treat people.

None of it is easy.
Man people really do trip over their own dicks to defend this guy. Why?

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

Boss man tries to look good making public statements. Who knew.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say Jobs was worse. Jobs always created folks like Elon. Jobs gave uber talented executives, especially in tech, a cover to be assholes as long as they produced results. And I say this as a big Apple fan, but I also know the history.
That's a good way of putting it. I think the difference is under Jobs Apple produced successful products out of the gate. Musk and Tesla on the other hand were built not on making good products but on promises, promises that he alone would change the world and he kind of didn't. Sure Tesla cars are selling better than ever but the entire pipe line Musk put together has been such a mess that they had to build Model 3s outside in tents. And production was still behind. Jobs was an asshole but he was an asshole that got shit done. Musk really hasn't.