• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Continues to amaze me just how easily you can get fired in the US.

It's funny too because WSJ put out some sir about employees ghosting and saying there is no company loyalty and millennials are entitled blah blah blah. I've asking people to explain why when employees are treated like shit and paid like shit, most people come up with some variation on "think about how company feels, this hurts the company blah blah".

saint

Oct 27, 2017
He hasn't made any positive ventures to further humanity, however. He's had remarkable luck marketing himself that way without successes to show for it.
the sales and reviews for the Tesla's talk for themselves. and the spacex program is a marvel considering the state of NASA's funding. but sure, keep thinking that.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating read. Based on this article he is much like I had pictured him and his management style.

Deleted member 50193

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Reminds me of an interaction I had with a former manager who barely knew me as I was fairly new at the time. "Did you do this? Huh? Did you do this?" In reference to a customer order screw up. But he didn't swear like Musk.

Anyway screw Musk and the supporters that blindly worship him.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the fact that so much rides on so few is a rather disturbing proposition.
I think he has very well documented talents and still think he willl be a net positive overall.

However, he is horrible with people. Jobs was similar.

Yet, we're in a different era, no pun intended, people do care how public figures treat others. The President notwistanding lol. Not only that, but we have more competition for talent. Would many engineers now want to work for Tesla after reading these antics?

Likability is very important now, especially in the social media age.

I see what you guys are saying but I just find it really hard to believe that rich people don't have our best interests at heart.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
DiKmJ8dWAAEcn77.jpg

Waiting for the defense force

fuckin' thank you

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Dude clearly needs psychological help and he needs to stop the drugs, but somehow I feel he'd be a huge asshole regardless.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently reading it, and the more I dig through it, the more I'm picturing Tesla being run by Gob from Arrested Development.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
""He would get really emotional," this person told me—and that's why he sometimes seemed callous, "because what's one person's feelings compared to the fate of billions? Elon cares a lot about humanity, but he doesn't really care about individual people all that much."

Give me supervillain origins for 500 Alex.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, all rich CEOs are assholes and dicks.
Sure. But most don't act this belligerent. There are layers of management and good CEOs respect that. Here Musk accused the engineer with barely any evidence.

Moreover, he has no idea how to manage. You don't berate workers in public. And you usually don't berate workers that are not under your purview. He didn't respect the chain of command.

If the worker did make a mistake, and everyone makes mistakes, he should've talked to his manager, and the let manager handle it and provide actionable feedback.

The Musk way kills morale. People are human beings, with widely complex psychological underpinnings. You need to respect that.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Really too bad this guy sucks, as he has some actual good ideas and the money to do them. I guess I keep separating the shitty person and his work

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
You can get fired in murica because big boss is an angry manchild? Hope he sues the company.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Oh!

So now we know why Musk hates unions! He can't just fire people from a temper tantrum lol.

It all makes sense now.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
As a new Model 3 owner, I want Musk to mellow the fuck out so I'm not embarrassed by deplorable shit like this. What is this, the '50s?

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
He has the same narcissistic personality as Trump, with the Twitter feuds, the rage, the firing people, the way his own staff have to manage his emotions, etc.

Just like how the Trump administration has been bleeding staff, so has Tesla with many top executives leaving in the last few years. Nobody wants to deal with this crap.

Oct 25, 2017
I've learned from working with egotistical assholes that the correct answer to "did you fucking do this" is not to ask for clarification, it's just to give them an answer regardless. I've been in similar situations multiple times where asking for specificity only made them more angry and combative. In a case like a Musk, the best thing to do is just to start immediately blabbing out everything you did and didn't do, and letting them use that information however they want.

I'm not sticking up for assholes. I'm just giving a tip in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation with another asshole. You just answer with anything you got, answering a question with a question makes the gorillas mad.

The last asshole I had to deal with who talked like this to me got sued for sexual harassment and fled to another state where he was eventually found and sued again before the last case had even ended.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
So did the article determine if that guy did it or not?
Hard to tell. The guy was given no time to answer. He didn't even know that Musk was going to berate him.

Think about it. You're a young entry level worker. The CEO comes to see and then starts berating you without any context. Think about how that would make you fee? The adrenaline rush, the anxiety, the fight or flight response and and so on.

Even if the engineer made a mistake, you're not helping him think straight. He's in flight or fight mode. He's not going to give you an intelligent answer. Musk is a management doofus.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
See, if Musk wasn't an unbelievable prick who treats his own workers like garbage, the Tesla wouldn't have, uh, retractable door handles?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I've learned from working with egotistical assholes that the correct answer to "did you fucking do this" is not to ask for clarification, it's just to give them an answer regardless. I've been in similar situations multiple times where asking for specificity only made them more angry and combative. In a case like a Musk, the best thing to do is just to start immediately blabbing out everything you did and didn't do, and letting them use that information however they want.

I'm not sticking up for assholes. I'm just giving a tip in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation with another asshole. You just answer with anything you got, answering a question with a question makes the gorillas mad.

The last asshole I had to deal with who talked like this to me got sued for sexual harassment and fled to another state where he was eventually found and sued again before the last case had even ended.
Yeah, if that ever happened to me, I'd quit on the spot. That's now how professionals should act.

There's more to being a professional than avoiding sexual harassment lol, to bring up another timely thread.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for a guy who didn't found tesla, isn't an engineer himself, and built the company largely on the back of government funding he gets a lot of credit for being an innovative genius without whom none of this massive "success" couldn't have happened

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the film version of this, this scene will begin with Musk doing a line of DRUGS and another bump of HARD DRUGS, smash cut to pupils dilating and Musk leaning back in his chair.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Having now read the entire article, its both very interesting and highly terrifying that he can behave as he does with little to no pushback. His companies are doing great things, huge things and I am big fan of both Tesla and SpaceX, but Musk is a lunatic. That he may well be the driving force behind the great work that both companies has done is both remarkable and astonishing.

saint

Oct 27, 2017

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
LOL it's not a binary choice between "shitty working conditions make a good product" and "reasonable working conditions make a crap product."

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other members