• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
it is awesome. but it makes me queasy, i should try again to build up some "legs" for it.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
I find Wipeout to be a lot easier in VR too.

In any racing game, you ideally want the field of view in-game to match your field of view in real-life in order to be capable of best judging distances in 3D space. Achieving this is a combination of your distance from the screen, size of the screen, and field-of-view of the in-game camera.

Wipeout has a super wide field-of-view (most likely intended to exaggerate the sense of speed), which means you either need to play on a huge ass TV, or sit super close to the screen (or a combination of both) to achieve the ideal play experience without VR. And it doesn't help that the game itself dynamically adjusts its field of view during gameplay to exaggerate the effect of boost arrows and speed boots items either. All of this can make judging distance when playing on TV more difficult than it needs to be.

VR eliminates this issue completely because the nature of VR necessitates that the in-game field-of-view must always match that of your eyes (otherwise any VR content would look weird and likely make people sick). So not only can you judge distances much more accurately, but the speed cannot be exaggerated in VR using field-of-view tricks*.

This does result in VR feeling slower than playing on a TV (in most cases), even though it's actually the same speed. For me, the sense of speed at Phantom Class in VR is roughly the same as Venom Class on my TV (55" sitting within arms reach). The results of my racing ability in VR and TV also reflect this difference as well.

*The VR mode actually does have an option to use the field-of-view trick to exaggerate speed on boost arrows and items (although it's labelled somewhat oddly), but it's extremely subtle to the point that it's barely even noticeable, and I think it's switched off by default.

This is an intersting write up, I assumed it was just the ability to quickly look around in all directions at where the track was twisting to or where other racers are that made me play better in VR but I think you're spot on about the FOV shifts and distance to the TV as being factors too.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
WipEout is great.
VR makes it even better.

I've been playing the N64 and GameCube F Zero games, and they're good, but I don't think they play anywhere as well as wipeout, let alone the track design isn't on par.

But for the love of all that is holy, do not turn the VR-more-don't-throw-up blinders off.
If you're watching the VR videos you'll see that there's horseblinders on the peripheral vision in the machines.
I don't get motion sick at all with VR, but the 2 seconds I had the blinders off was like a bad trip.

Don't do it.

EDIT: Also, it's crazy that it's basically a PS3 game, its expansion, and a Vita game combined but it still looks good. Was sad we didn't get a new WipEout on PS4. It's the only PlayStation console without an original one.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little sad they didn't throw in a Wipeout 2097 track and tune for us faithful.

giphy.gif

Nov 8, 2017
This is an intersting write up, I assumed it was just the ability to quickly look around in all directions at where the track was twisting to or where other racers are that made me play better in VR but I think you're spot on about the FOV shifts and distance to the TV as being factors too.
As I understand, there are some very dedicated PC racing sim enthusiasts who will go to great lengths to make sure the in-game field-of-view setting exactly matches their real life screen size and distance in order to minimise the possibility of misjudging distances when racing.

A think a lot of console racing games don't have options for adjusting field-of-view, so it can be harder to do such things on consoles.

Of course, the ability to look around to see where the track is going does also help too in VR!

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It made me sick pretty quick, but then PSVR does that to me. Looking forward to a more comfortable headset with higher res and PLEASEFORTHELOVEOFGOD a much wider field of view to help feel less claustrophobic.

Oct 26, 2017
It's so good I'm legit not even mad they didn't make a new Wipeout

WipEout is great.
VR makes it even better.

I've been playing the N64 and GameCube F Zero games, and they're good, but I don't think they play anywhere as well as wipeout, let alone the track design isn't on par.

But for the love of all that is holy, do not turn the VR-more-don't-throw-up blinders off.
If you're watching the VR videos you'll see that there's horseblinders on the peripheral vision in the machines.
I don't get motion sick at all with VR, but the 2 seconds I had the blinders off was like a bad trip.

Don't do it.

EDIT: Also, it's crazy that it's basically a PS3 game, its expansion, and a Vita game combined but it still looks good. Was sad we didn't get a new WipEout on PS4. It's the only PlayStation console without an original one.

counterpoint: turning off all the stuff/blinders/nausea settings is seriously amazing

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
As far as flexing your VR legs goes, Wipeout is fairly rough...

... but I was just telling someone here that I tried Riggs the other night, and that shitt damn near flipped me inside out in one minute. Didn't even get a chance to get sick. I got in a tutorial Arena all by myself, double jumped off one platform, looked down, and my ass clinched with the bite force of a T-Rex.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't have any VR experience whatsoever but I hate playing racing games in cockpit mode because it severely limits my view. It's like playing a game with extremely bad FOV or driving in really bad weather conditions...

It's completely different to flat view. In VR you can see into the corners which is a huge difference, you can see elevation of tracks and sharpness of corners so much easier. Even though you'd think you'd have a low FOV you actually get to see way more and can better judge corners and tracks in VR. GT Sport is another game where it's just easier in VR, just a shame the VR in that game is a very small part of it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It made me sick pretty quick, but then PSVR does that to me. Looking forward to a more comfortable headset with higher res and PLEASEFORTHELOVEOFGOD a much wider field of view to help feel less claustrophobic.

You need your brain to be properly tricked to not feel weird when playing. That's why the shark dive thing works so well, feels like you're wearing a diving mask.

For Wipeout you need to think pod racing goggles. Ha.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
You need your brain to be properly tricked to not feel weird when playing. That's why the shark dive thing works so well, feels like you're wearing a diving mask.

For Wipeout you need to think pod racing goggles. Ha.
Pod racing. Now there's a game I want. I'd love a realistic pod racer with nuanced handling in VR. That's like my actual dream game. But it can't be arcadey and simplified. Basically a pod racer sim that looks and feels like that sequence in the movie.. ahhhh.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
It's completely different to flat view. In VR you can see into the corners which is a huge difference, you can see elevation of tracks and sharpness of corners so much easier. Even though you'd think you'd have a low FOV you actually get to see way more and can better judge corners and tracks in VR. GT Sport is another game where it's just easier in VR, just a shame the VR in that game is a very small part of it.
The next GT or the PS5 patch for GT sport NEEDS the full game playable in VR. Especially online where you should be able to play against the flat screen players.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
VR is also awesome because we get real cockpits. It feels so amazing to be in a wipeout cockpit.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
this question is only mildly relevant but does anyone happen to know what you gotta do to download the digital art collection that is supposed to come with all digital purchases of this game, picked it up during the new year sale and i don't see no separate app in my download history or nuthin!

i just wanna be i m m e r s e d in the world of wipeout

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, I get super motion sick when I try to play this in VR. I'm usually pretty good with VR games, but I can't go longer than a minute in wipeout VR before i have to stop. even with the "safety" settings tweaked. I absolutely love the wipeout games (and i'm not really a racing game fan), and the collection is amazing, but I just can't do the VR. which is a shame, because it really is incredibly immersive, and of the best VR experiences on PSVR. I just wish I had a stronger constitution for it.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Wipeout is actually a "safe" VR game for me. For some reason cockpit games make sense to my brain and don't mess with me. Even with all the training wheels off.

OP
OP
DrHercouet

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I can't go longer than a minute in wipeout VR before i have to stop. even with the "safety" settings tweaked.
Wipeout is actually a "safe" VR game for me.

It's crazy how we're not all sensitive to the same things and how we don't grow the same "VR legs". The WipEout VR demo go me dead sick but the goes doesn't (haven't tried the hardest settings yet though) I don't know if you can adapt and get better with time?

It's so good I'm legit not even mad they didn't make a new Wipeout

Yeah! You hear that Nintendo? Just give us F-Zero GX DX already

counterpoint: turning off all the stuff/blinders/nausea settings is seriously amazing

True. I play with the blinders off but I think my view is still cockpit locked. I'll try the harder one soon.

I tried the PSVR demo and it made me queasy as well. I own the full game though. Maybe I'll give it another go...

Happened to me too, but I forgot if there were a setting to change it in the demo?

Basically a pod racer sim that looks and feels like that sequence in the movie.. ahhhh.

YES PLEASE but for some reason I feel like EA won't ever, ever do that.

Does this support a flight stick? Just curious.

Nope :(

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I was never any good in Wipeout but VR totally changed that. Racing games in general are way better to play for me in VR. The depth perception makes it so much better there simply is no going back. One of my top 5 VR games ever made, and it wasn''t even made for VR.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Best VR game ever, best racing game ever, it could be the only game on PSVR and I would have spent 400€ day one.

Now I'm gonna read the OP and come back to throw more flowers at this masterpiece.

So yeah, perfect OP that really encapsulates how insanely enjoyable Wipeout VR is.

I bought the game day one so played most of it in flat mode initially. Finished 2048 and HD 100% and all but the last class in Fury at that time. I then decided to do the A+ challenges in 2048 before finishing the last class in Fury. Big mistake on my part as I got wrecked in every A+ track I tried. As I'm stubborn I kept trying untill I decided to put the game down for a while.
Went back with the VR update, and cleared the last class in Fury. VR make the game much simpler imo( in addition to making it a billion times better than it already is) but I still had a hard time with the A+ challenges. So Istopped once more after a while to play something else, and come back later to the A+, as usually when I drop a game I played a lot for a while, I get much better at it when I come back, as if my brain had time to process and digest every new reflex and adjustements I learn in my last big session. Worked like a charm for A+ challenges, which I have now almost finished :) These 10 laps ultra fast and viloent races are really something else in VR lol, my hands are constantly sweaty after a race, it's so damn hype playingthrough this.

What's especially impressive with this game is the sorcery they used to make such a non threatening VR game for people with motion sickness, or who are just uncorfatble in a VR environnment. I don't have this issue, so I'm good, but my non VR legs friends who have tried it not only didn't feel sick at all, but most of them requested that I remove the comfort settings after they made a few races, and still did not feel sick (truth be told, I removed everything except the fact that the camera will not incline or turn during a barrell roll, removing this last setting would assuredly fill my room with my friends' puke lol). I don't know how they made that. I'm talking about for example a person that felt of their chair during a turn 2 minutes into a Driveclub time trial, here they felt fine. I don't know how they did it.

I could talk about this damn game for hours and I already have a big block of text, also I'm supposed to be working so I'll leave it at that. Now I want the day to end so I can go back and finish these A+ :) PLAY THIS GAME EVERYONE, even if you're prone to motion sickness, it just works :)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy how we're not all sensitive to the same things and how we don't grow the same "VR legs". The WipEout VR demo go me dead sick but the goes doesn't (haven't tried the hardest settings yet though) I don't know if you can adapt and get better with time?

Yeah! You hear that Nintendo? Just give us F-Zero GX DX already

True. I play with the blinders off but I think my view is still cockpit locked. I'll try the harder one soon.

Would love another F-zero christ. Yep unlocked cockpit and having you barrel roll when you barrel roll is fucking ACE
VR really breathed new life into HD & Fury for me, I played them a lot on PS3, lost my save and even when buying the Omega Collection didn't have much drive to redo the single player, but VR changed that. I also find I'm way more accurate with powerups, e.g. rockets in VR. So good.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WipEout: Omega Collection is an outstanding game, with or without VR, it is absolutely worth getting regardless if you plan to use VR or not, but it feels so at home with VR implementation though! no matter what speed class, be it Venom or A+, or if your crazy enough to go for Zone Mode, it is a thrill to play regardless of speed you play it. While im not a fan of its soundtrack compared to the original releases of WipEout HD/Fury, its still good though!

GIFs below of me playing in VR mode
Me doing the Beat Zico [HD] challenge in VR:

A brief moment of the fantastic Altima track in 2048

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
As a huge WipEout fan (see obscure avatar), this was a dream come true when it was announced. Actually staying up to the wee-hours waiting for the patch the go live and experiencing it for the first time... Man I was just giddy. It's everything I wanted it to be and elevates the experience. Even a couple of my friends who were apathetic about flat WipEout were very impressed and hooked.

Stunning execution from the tiny, clearly passionate team at EPOS who made it happen. I can't thank them enough. My mind would melt at a new PS5 VR-compatible WipEout. That would be a killer app for a new PSVR.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah it really is amazing. I hope they update it for PSVR2, as PSVR is quite uncomfortable to my eyes. I was amazed that I could play it quite long without getting sick. Zone mode will fuck you up in a good way!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My PSVR came in today and I made sure that Wipeout was one of the first things I played on it. High-speed racing in VR sounded awful, but I love the game and wanted to see what it's like in VR.

It's so much fun, and feels like you're actually in the cockpit. It took a moment to get used to it, but after that initial adjustment, I was golden.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Sintoid

Oct 30, 2017
I remember when Sony annonced the free upgrade to VR for this already awesome collection.
Everybody called it "Puke simulator", including myself...
No one could believe how this upgrade would have improved and forever changed the antigrav racing genere, including myself

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love it, but I am immune to VR sickness (I even completed Scavengers Odissey no sweat which is apparently one of the main offenders when it comes to VR sickness) so unfortunately that means no stomach dropping feelings for me... T_T

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I dont much like to barrel rolling in vr. I dont think i would irl, either. I close my eyes lol. No need to look.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I haven't played the game anywhere near as much as you - or anywhere near enough tbh - but it truly is phenomenal, and I'm with you 100%

Enjoyed reading :)

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice gif, that jump at the beginning feels in VR better than a rollercoaster ride :D
Glad you liked the gifs! and yeah, Altima is one of my favourite tracks in the 2048 campaign for it also being a remake of the first track from the first game, it was a revelation to play it in VR to me, finally being able to do that!

I dont much like to barrel rolling in vr. I dont think i would irl, either. I close my eyes lol. No need to look.
The vehicle cockpit normally isnt 'locked' to the ship, by default the cockpit setting ingame is 'gyroscopically stable' so it doesnt roll with the craft itself so the camera doesnt have to roll, but the ship still can around it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The vehicle cockpit normally isnt 'locked' to the ship, by default the cockpit setting ingame is 'gyroscopically stable' so it doesnt roll with the craft itself so the camera doesnt have to roll, but the ship still can around it.

I know but i leave it in harsh mode lol. I should give in and turn that off.