• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood how people could recognize jews by appearance, because I never was able too. Are these distinguishable traits or it is only antisemitic bullshit ?

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Hollywood had that really brief period of time where it took things that were minor really super serious which is hilariously sad when you consider at that same time they had no issues with pedophiles raping children etc.
+ Female actors in Hollywood get passed up for the next young starlet that some movie exec has taken a shine to.

It's like Logan's Run, your career is dead by thirty.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Geez, did I say she was ugly? She's very attractive. Gal Gadot is also Israeli/Jewish and she's gorgeous

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had completely forgotten about the Gibson thing. *le sigh*

That's disgusting she (and others) have had (and continue) to endure this fuckery. Like others have said, she's an excellent actress, and deserved a better career.

The fuckery in this thread didn't disappoint either, bravo.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory rhetoric
I never understood how people could recognize jews by appearance, because I never was able too. Are these distinguishable traits or it is only antisemitic bullshit ?
As someone who is part Jewish but has never been recognized as such, what steps can I take to look more Jewish?
The story from this thread is racist nonsense from Mel Gibson, but I think it is possible to accurately guess a persons ethnic background based on their facial appearence.

It's not foolproof sure since plenty of ethnic groups overlap in looks with those in proximity to them, but it's basic genetic and phenotype logic that people of shared ethnic ancestry will look like each other.

There definitely are common face shape "looks" among people of shared ethnic ancestry that can distinguish them from within a larger broad "racial" or skin colour category.

Many Jewish people are indistinguishable from America's Anglo-Germanic origin White majority, some are not. There are definitely some Jews with more discernible Mediterranean looks for example that overlap with certain looks of people that live in Southern Europe and Turkey and sometimes you can pick up similarities within each ethnic group and narrow down guesses of peoples exact ethnic background based on their looks.

I'd say there are common looks and face shapes that can help you guess someone is from X ethnicity or Y country, but obviously not all people in an ethnic group fit the look of the average look of their ethnic group.

For example boadly speaking, if you become familiar with enough faces, you can start to tell the difference between White People of Germanic heritage and those of Slavic heritage. It's not 100% foolproof obviously, phenotypes aren't set in stone, but you can start to pick up patterns of face shapes that distinguish meta ethnic groups and ethnic groups that otherwise are subsumed under the same broad racial colour/broad racial continent category.

I even sometimes find you can tell an "Irish" face from an "English" one despite common expectations probably being that these 2 ethnic groups are indistinguishable. Key word is SOMETIMES. Anyone that says it's 100% possible to guess right everytime is irrational, illogical and potentially a racist.

Another example is the diversity among Black Africans. Not all look the same. Somalians and Ethiopians are very very distinct looking from West, Central and South Africans. Distinct from other Black Africans to the extent that some definitions don't consider them Black. And the aforementioned Black African groups look different to each other. West Africans and South Africans are easily distinguishable.

There are also certain differences in broad features between different East Asians as well despite the common racist trope to "mix them up".

Easiest way to see it is if you look at group photos of individual ethnic groups from the same skin colour/broad racial group for example and compare them with each other you can see there are broad differences among people that superficially "look the same."

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Brave Heart Mel Gibson? Wow, what a piece of shit.

What possesses people to even makes jokes like that? I feel sorry for the crap she's had to put up with. I remember as a kid reading about her shop lifting and then it was like she just vanished.

Was glad to see her back in Stranger Things.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Many Jewish people are indistinguishable from America's Anglo-Germanic origin White majority, some are not. There are definitely some Jews with more discernible Mediterranean looks for example that overlap with certain looks of people that live in Southern Europe and Turkey and sometimes you can pick up similarities within each ethnic group and narrow down guesses of peoples exact ethnic background based on their looks.

I can trace my ancestry back pretty far to the Ukraine/Pale area, but I look much more Latin/Mediterranean than anything else.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I can trace my ancestry back pretty far to the Ukraine/Pale area, but I look much more Latin/Mediterranean than anything else.
Yep, which is indicative of how the Jews initial ancestry is from Palestine and their initial migrations to Europe were via Roman ruled Greek speaking Anatolia (what is now Turkey) and Italy, as well as exiled Iberian Jews assimilating elsewhere among European Jewry.

There was obviously mixing of Jews with local "pale" Europeans, but the Mediterranean substrate they had from the start never disappeared.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
This happens all the time. Anti Semitism is alive in well in our country.

hell. Look at Seinfeld. All of them are Jews yet for some reason George's family is catholic. Same with Bea Arthur in the golden girls.

Idk. I'm Jewish and I️m really good at knowing when actors/people I️ meet IRL are Jewish. My parents do it too. I️ kinda think it's just a Jewish thing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Gibson is a racist piece of shit, and yet I still see people who stan for him out there.

As this article demonstrates, him being a bigoted prick was an open secret in Hollywood for YEARS before the DUI incident.
Whats crazy is they stan for him even though he done nothing to even attempt to try to change.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Polanski raped a minor and gets standing ovations and still has a career.

Winona was a women struggling with mental health issues and prescription drugs and steals some clothes. NO CAREER (for a good period of time)

What a world.

Well it makes sense when you realize that a lot of men in power ain't shit and are terrible human beings.

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
I've not hear oven dodger in a long time...

I've been accused of hiding my "Jewishness" because I don't talk about it in public and I don't look Jewish. I've shaved my head for over 20 years and had a red beard, so I guess I did't look "the part".

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Gibson is a racist piece of shit, and yet I still see people who stan for him out there.

I actually posted a thread a few years ago about Gibson's antisemitism and the incident where he called Ryder an "oven dodger" and the 'oh but he eventually said he was sorry for being antisemitic and did some charity work, he 'did his time' why are folks still piling on him about his past incidents?' folks were out in full force. Also, Gibson's father is a Holocaust denier and Gibson danced around firmly denouncing his views when it was brought up to him during interviews years ago.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I know the whole "Hollywood protects their own" shit, but it is wild that some people still cape for that guy, looking at you, Jodie Foster.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How does one look Jewish? How can anyone say any of these things? How much more of an asshole can Mel Gibson be?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Holy fuck at that oven dodger comment. I shouldn't be surprised that such a horrendous term exists but yet I am.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
How awful. Glad she found success in spite of these attitudes. I've been a fan since I saw The Crucible in school. She can act her ass off when she wants. Can't believe folks would be surprised that she's Jewish and attractive, like anyone else they can be lovely.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Too Jewish?.... naaaaah. The only the only thing Winoa Ryder is guilty of looking is looking
too beautiful

cL0jF0J.jpg

but seriously, she seems like she's never aged, what type of water do Winoa, Keanu and Pharrell all drink

As a jew speaking here, are you implying that jewish people can't be "too beautiful?"
There's some casual antisemitism happening here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a jew speaking here, are you implying that jewish people can't be "too beautiful?"
There's some casual antisemitism happening here.
NOOOOOO, that's not what I meant at all! I don't think race and beauty correlate at all. I was just making a statement about how she's gorgeous. She's been one of my favorite actresses since I was a kid.

Edit: I just realized why it looks the post is anti-Semitic. I'm going to remove my original post. I don't want to distract from the topic with it.