• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you setting up combos? You need to get lots of doubles and back to backs and whatnot if you want to win because that's how you ko people and get those sweet, sweet badges, just clearing lines won't do

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I've managed about half a dozen 1st place finishes, most of them early on. Competition has only gotten more fierce over the months though.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm consistently top 10, have been second a handful of times. Never got first.
That said, I'm usually just set on random and switch to attackers if people are fucking me up.

There's probably a better strategy but I've never looked it up.
Tetris 99 is my Sunday hungover game.

sportz103

Oct 26, 2017
I win maybe 5-10% of the time, and haven't played Tetris since Tetrisphere on the N64.

Don't worry about T-spins and other advanced moves, keep it simple. Pick a side and build a well, leave a one space open column. When possible only clear lines as part of a tetris, by dropping a long piece in that well and clearing 4-lines at once. You're pretty much guaranteed to finish top-10 if you can play fast fundamentals

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've got to second several times (and just this minute had a 4th place) but I really struggle to think quickly enough past the 10-player speedup.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I usually rank among the top 30. I was 5th a few days ago and was all like, "wow, I almost did it, I'm such a good player!". Then the 4 remaining players kept going for a looong while and made me realize I still suck at this game.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is it best to stick the right stick option thingy to Attackers? I got 7th or 8th a few times, few top 10s here and there.

I definitely find clearing lines ASAP is better than stacking a load up like in normal VS Tetris. It's too risky otherwise.

But I've never won so maybe I am doing it wrong too!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've won 5 matches out of more than 600 played. Here's some tips

• Keep playing and eventually you'll get better at reacting to the pieces you turn up and identifying were to place them
  • start off targeting KOs. You'll often get lucky and snipe 1 or 2 kills to get your badges going
  • Build up either a single line well and try to get consecutive Tetrises, or a double wide well for big combos (every tetrimono except for I is 2 pieces wide, so you can usually get 4+ consecutive combos if you've kept your main area clean)
  • Switch to attackers if you're being heavily targetted. This gives you a multiplier bonus, lets you attack multiple enemies at once, and may encourage some of your attackers to step off. If you've been following the above, you should have a set up to score some quick line clears, so you have the chance to either rack up a bunch of KOs or to at least clear out your incoming garbage.
  • Don't be afraid to panic flail rotate your pieces when things start getting fast. You can jangle your way into the perfect spot and buy a quick reprieve to assess your situation.
  • If you are in the late game, target badges. These are your biggest threats to winning in the end, and beating them will give your their badges and make it easier to both attack and defend yourself. You can either beat them now while things are chaotic, or lose to them when you're the last target left.
I'm pretty garbage at doing T-Spins, but if you can play fundamentally well, you should get a W eventually.

Can you guys explain me what is a T-spin?

A T-Spin is basically when you rotate a T piece to fit into a space it can't naturally reach my falling into.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Can you guys explain me what is a T-spin?
It's easier to watch videos of it. Just check YouTube. And don't worry, you'll get a W eventually. Just seems to depend on who you get grouped up with. I've gotten 3 since starting, and I only played at launch mostly and then bits around the events that unlock skins. I mean, I'll get first and then get like 40th on my next game, pop back up to 5th, and then get knocked out at 60. LOL But I don't play with any real strat or using t-spins. I just go for Tetrises and then focus on clearing lines when trash starts to build up on the side.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I mean at this point I assume only die hard Tetris people are playing, so yeah it'll be pretty hard.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean at this point I assume only die hard Tetris people are playing, so yeah it'll be pretty hard.
The real die hards are playing Invictus mode, which is only accessible by those who have already won a game. It's still pretty random how good your field will be.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I've won a bunch of times, but I haven't played in months and I assume it gets more competitive over time.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
I really enjoy Tetris 99 and in no way am I the best. The best advice I can is just keep grinding. Keep trying new things. For me it just depends on the game what I decide to do sending quick lines to your attackers, getting tetris's quickly, choosing attackers from the start (not going to lie but having to battle 4 people(sometimes) right off the bat is a lot of fun), but getting ko's is key to winning especially if you can get a Max ko badge before hitting the top 10 then the only downside is they'll probably all switch to who has the most badges. Not always a perfect plan but if you enjoy playing the game just keep grinding you'll get better and eventually pull out a W. Good luck

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm awful at Tetris and I've still won a few times. I find that the trick is to clear the lines quickly

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I have a ~14% win percentage with a few hundred games played, so it's definitely not impossible.

You really need to get the fundamentals down first. By the time you get to the top 5-10, you need to have a natural feel for where your pieces are going to end up.

Also someone mentioned puyo puyo tetris. It has a mode called 40-line sprint, where you clear 40 lines for time. Try to aim for a completion time of below 1:30. Doing that regularly should be a decent indicator that your skills are at a decent place.

Lots of people said t-spins; it's an advanced technique, but I'd say MOST of my wins come from not having done a single t-spin.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Totally not impossible, or super difficult. :D (also yes I setup my Christmas decorations super early)

MEK9Cer.jpg

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm with ya man. I played it some months back after getting the freebie online from Twitch. I couldn't ever figure out what prompted you getting the lines from another person. Or the amount of them. Sometimes it seemed like way more than could have possibly been dumped at one time. I don't recall what my best was but it was maybe like 25-30 and then I was just like ehhh.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I won once. I've got second a bunch of times. It's not impossible but it is hard.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something else to keep in mind:

The pieces will, on average, come out at an equal distribution in the long run. Basically, the game pulls a set of all 7 blocks at a time and randomizes the order, then pulls the next 7, and so on. This means you'll never be totally screwed by RNG and can count on getting an I piece for Tetrises without having to wait forever.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I win by playing defensively. Trash gets sent to people targeting me and I ignore everyone's board but my own

I haven't won a round of Invictus yet though. #10 is the best I've done in that mode

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
The game needs some kind of matchmaking. I've won a few games but it is stacked in favour of "pros" who know about T-spins and the intricacies of the scoring system in competetive Tetris. I wish it didn't have T-spins and just focused on rewarding clearing lines. A tetris should be the most powerful, efficient move to do, not some weird unnatural manouver which the game never explains and you have to watch youtube tutorials to learn. This isn't an esport version of Tetris, it's a massively multiplayer free game on a family friendly system.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
200 odd games and i've never won. Got a few 2nd and 3rd places.

All I really try and do intentionally is set up Line piece Tetris clears leaving the furthest right column empty for it. I'd imagine that isn't anywhere near the best way to play but I really enjoy it.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I won my 3rd match meh

I also did not know about the 4 or 3 row strat, and just played like I do normal tetris and won which is explaining why i'm so inconsistent at Tetris 99 aha

I'm gonna try some tonight without using a 1 row strat for once.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tetris 99 favors certain strategies that may not be very obvious due to the mechanics of the game that aren't explained well. I've won twice after adapting how I play but I don't enjoy playing that way and prefer to chill with Tetris Effect.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
A few times I thought I had won, but only got 2nd place. A friend of mine who is the best Tetris player I know irl managed to get first after some tries. It's not impossible, just really hard.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I really love Tetris 99 but I wish they'd fix the bug where it shows a higher current place than the score you end up with. Almost every time I am 1-2 places higher than what I end up with.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm terrible at Tetris but my gf demolishes in Tetris 99, and typically places 1-10. It's insane to watch her

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Certain time of the day is easier than other times. I always joke to my girlfriend that the Russian Tetris masters are awake when it is especially bad. I got her into the game and she has actually won. I have done third several times but never first.

Last edited:

SystemShark

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary
Closest I've ever been is 11th.

Thankfully my wife plays on my profile and won her first game two days ago. Or should I say my first game... :D

She has reached 10th on Invictus but apparently everything turned to lava? And scared her so she died.

Love my wife.