• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Watch out?!?!?! People might get mad about this "MSFT Warchest" talk. lol in all seriousness, people keep on saying MSFT cant do this or wont etc. And we are now getting small tid-bits and im pretty sure MSFT is FULLY willing to price adjust/match when the time comes even if they take the biggest hit. Ill say it again, Phil didnt use the wording of "MSFT and the CEO and CFO are linked into our plans" for no reason in talks of price. I guess what I am getting at is the CEO of MSFT just REALLY seems TO HAVE ALOT OF TRUST IN pHIL.
Could not have summed this up better!

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I'm not saying I don't believe Phil, lol. He said it was good, didin't mention if they were making oney from it, so what am I supossed to believe?

I was giving you factual information, no need to come back so hard, lol.
That may have come out harder than I meant it, lol. I only mean that we've only heard good things.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
No problem. I remebered I read something in the Xbox Series X thread about this a couple days ago.

www.resetera.com

Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation

With directML I also think that kinetic would take significant less resources for the game to extract the pose from the camera feed, even solve better partial occlusion too. Too bad we will likely not see the benefits of that in a new Kinect any time soon :(

I don't know if he has more reliable information, but it is hard to tell either way.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having a Series S option is super savvy by Microsoft. I think that console will be a hit even if I have no personal interest since I'll buy a Series X.

If I had to bet:
Series X: $499
Series S: $349

What do you guys think this would do to the used market for Xbox One X? Selfishly, the Series S scares me into thinking that I won't be able to sell my One X for enough anymore to subsidize my Series X upgrade cost. How much do you guys think; $200 One X used value at time of launch?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I mean, the bigger questions for me are how will the market respond to any given scenario? What will price matching do for Xbox vs PS5? What other factors need to fall into place for them to win the perceptions and narrative battle (the only one that truly matters)?

How much cheaper does Series S have to be to appeal to a wider audience that would have otherwise ignored next gen? And/OR How powerful does Series S have to avoid losing interest of the hardcore gaming market? (And at least for this question... I think the Switch shows that the answer is maybe... eh? Not really a concern.)

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Having a Series S option is super savvy by Microsoft. I think that console will be a hit even if I have no personal interest since I'll buy a Series X.

If I had to bet:
Series X: $499
Series S: $349

What do you guys think this would do to the used market for Xbox One X? Selfishly, the Series S scares me into thinking that I won't be able to sell my One X for enough anymore to subsidize my Series X upgrade cost. How much do you guys think; $200 One X used value at time of launch?
I remember when the X and the S came out Microsoft stores were doing a trade in where you bring your old console and they actually gave you pretty good value back, so keep your eyes open for that

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
4TF and limited Ray-tracing? Oh dear.

I hope this isn't the baseline for all third-party developers. Hopefully they just ignore it rather than limiting their scope.
I'm hoping most dev's just refuse for it to work and MS has to pay out of pocket for it. 4 Tf to 10-12TF is a substantial gap. That's not even considering other specs.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Neither company is going to lose money without a plan around it. It doesn't matter how big the warchest is.
Well said. The decision which will result to a negative profit margin for console sales for a timespan of years has to be sensible and justifiable. Neither Sony nor MS will go and lose a single dollar just because they can take the loss. They both can take that loss if that's what we're talking about here.

One could also argue that Sony can take a much bigger loss just because its gaming division is so much more successful, and I would actually be inclined to believe that kind of reasoning over MS just throwing money at Xbox division because now they are "fully behind it". Like in any company, Xbox as a division most definitely has to be self sufficient for the most part and turn in a profit or be at least capable of it.

Both will only sell at a loss if they absolutely have to and as both probably have pretty equal BoM, I fully believe that they will sell at the same price.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
No problem. I remebered I read something in the Xbox Series X thread about this a couple days ago.

www.resetera.com

Xbox Series X: A Closer Look at the Technology Powering the Next Generation

With directML I also think that kinetic would take significant less resources for the game to extract the pose from the camera feed, even solve better partial occlusion too. Too bad we will likely not see the benefits of that in a new Kinect any time soon :(

I don't know if he has more reliable information, but it is hard to tell either way.
Matt also said "Things are more than fine though. The service is doing well.", when people were saying that of course Spencer would say it's fine. GP is doing well. There should be no doubt of that.

I'm hoping most dev's just refuse for it to work and MS has to pay out of pocket for it. 4 Tf to 10-12TF is a substantial gap. That's not even considering other specs.
The heck.. should people just throw out their (still most popular GPU today) 1060s just because it's only 4 (weaker) TFs? The fact of the matter is, if devs want to reach audiences, they can't afford to be as elitist as Era likes to be.

Last edited:

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
The Warchest argument might not work for a new product that isn't gaining traction in the market, but the Xbox business is pushing 20 years and going into its fourth generation. MS shat out a billion dollars for the RROD fiasco and didnt blink an eye.

So how about that War Chest.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I wonder how people expect lockhart to be below 400€/$ if XbX launched at 500. Especially with the ssd being one of the most expensive parts of the system.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Good luck with that.
Good luck having a next gen offering that significantly undercuts the price of your competitor, and this time having the stronger console right at the start which automatically nullifies the power narrative that would yield this console a bad press?

It's clear some here are trying very hard to be concerned on how a weaker console will affect next gen baseline graphics, but they will be fine,

Apr 30, 2019
And again, 4K is a waste of processing power. Most games will target 1800p. That means you would have to run 900p on Lockhart.

Why would that be a big deal? For non-enthusiasts, resolution isn't that important and tons of people would be happy to spend around $200 less than the PS5 and XSX to play most next gen games at 1080p and the most graphically intensive ones at 900p.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Good luck having a next gen offering that significantly undercuts the price of your competitor, and this time having the stronger console right at the start which automatically nullifies the power narrative that would yield this console a bad press?

It's clear some here are trying very hard to be concerned on how a weaker console will affect next gen baseline graphics, but they will be fine,
I was thinking on RayTracing with the XSS. I'm not concerned at all, I would buy the lockhart for my monitor.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why would that be a big deal? For non-enthusiasts, resolution isn't that important and tons of people would be happy to spend around $200 less than the PS5 and XSX to play most next gen games at 1080p and the most graphically intensive ones at 900p.
If they somehow manage to get games on this running at 1080/900p at a solid 60p I think most people will love it. Haven't most gaming enthusiasts been saying screw resolution give me fps?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I wonder how people expect lockhart to be below 400€/$ if XbX launched at 500. Especially with the ssd being one of the most expensive parts of the system.
Well, this IS the question. By that token, could Series X undercut PS5 because SSD is so expensive? I don't think we know anything about pricing or BOM. I wouldn't be so certain either way.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Microsoft and Sony can blame themselves for this TF garbage.

Series S GPU is more powerful than an Xbox one X GPU, no questions asked

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people seem to be ignorant that a lot people will use their 1080p TVs until the TV dies or don't care about playing with native 4K resolution. I also see it as a interesting console for parents who are buying a console for their kid. Other markets are also much more price sensitive which could make the Series S an attractive product. I think there is a market for a Series S but it's success wil depend on how big the price difference is.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly not worried about Lockhart. Devs will focus on PS5 / XSX, and when they are done, they will put 2-3 people on the Lockhart version, and if it looks or plays like shit, too bad. I don't think they give a fuck, they won't compromise their vision of next-gen gaming.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm sure that's what you're hoping for, but you'll be let down.

The Lockhart will be able to play the same games, the only real sacrifices will be resolution and ray tracing. It's really not that complicated. It's basically a Switch in development terms.

It's a different situation than Switch.

It's not comparable.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY

You're assuming the PS4 and Switch for that matter just disappears? The only thing the Lockhart undercuts is the XSX IMO. Sony has plenty of devices and price points to play games with.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm honestly not worried about Lockhart. Devs will focus on PS5 / XSX, and when they are done, they will put 2-3 people on the Lockhart version, and if it looks or plays like shit, too bad. I don't think they give a fuck, they won't compromise their vision of next-gen gaming.
It's already like that this gen where games will run on PS4 or Xbox One but are substantially better on the Pro and the X

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's these insiders that makes Era special...
Seriously, there is an actual dev in this thread, you should read his posts.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Tom Warren suggests that it is unlikely to be $499 and he's been spot on re: Xbox so far on absolutely everything.

So it's $549 minimum.

Which is probably why they are announcing the way they are - show the premium, balls to the wall console first but don't announce price. Soften the price blow with Xbox Series X.

"We're replacing our two current consoles with next gen equivalents, filling the same niches. The Xbox One S was a 1080p machine, with Xbox Series S you can experience the next generation of games in the same way, with a massively upgraded GPU and super fast SSD allowing all the experience at an affordable cost of $349. The Xbox One X was a 4K machine, we are replacing it with the Xbox Series X, a 4K+ monster that is more powerful than a $1000 PC at $599."

They have played the PR game correctly with what they have.

we won't be beaten on power or price someone once said.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Console wars are so interesting.

Tflops don't matter but then they suddenly do matter. How does this calculus work?

If your console has more = it matters
Your console has less = it doesn't matter
Your console has more but there's a model that has significantly less = it sorta kinda doesn't matter I mean look at the Switch!

The narrative is flexible as ever depending how deeply rooted the personal bias is. But to simplify things, fuck console wars.

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
All people complaining about the problems of working for a 4 TFLOPS machine and a 12 TFLOPS machine should remember that all Xbox games are also being developed for thousands of PC combinations...

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Console wars are so interesting.

Tflops don't matter but then they suddenly do matter. How does this calculus work?

If your console has more = it matters
Your console has less = it doesn't matter
Your console has more but there's a model that has significantly less = it sorta kinda doesn't matter I mean look at the Switch!

The narrative is as flexible as it can be depending how deeply rooted the personal bias is. But to simply things, fuck console wars.
There are a couple honest truth in the look of next gen.

1. Microsoft has the most powerful console with Series X
2. Microsoft has the most affordable entry to next gen Lockhart
3. Sony has a lot of very good first party studios with the history to back it up
4. Microsoft has purchased a bunch of good studios but they need to put out games for it to matter
5. Multiplatform games will run best on Series X, but don't see a MAJOR difference

With all that till be like it always has been, the first party games and exclusives will still matter a ton. Microsoft going with a power device and a budget device is trying to have a wide appeal. IF they announce and release first party games that are on par with Sony they are setting themselves up to have a very successful gen, if not Sony will still reign supreme.

Pretty much all other discussion is silly at this point